Why Hollyleaf and Ashfur are good cats. *Spoilers* by Softpaw

Artwork by Stripeh

Softpaw explains why they believe certain cats are misunderstood.

Well, first off Hollyleaf is just misunderstood. All she ever wanted was to be a good loyal and maybe popular warrior. She didn’t want to be a cat nobody pays attention to, she wanted to be Firestar’s right-hand feline. No one can blame her for that. So she wanted to be a medicine cat. Vital to the clan. She found she hated the scent of blood and shuddered at the thought of seeing bone. Eventually, she became a normal warrior or so she thought and was one of the most talented cats alive. She found out Leafpool was her mother and (oops, forgot to say she was the most loyal cat ever when it comes to the warrior code.) flipped out. Her life was ruined. She felt as if her life was a mistake. Her mother broke the code, then another even though that was later. I think. Life was living agony when she knew somebody would tell the story in the worst way possible. She couldn’t be kicked out of the clan just yet. The clan was literally her life. The only way to stop Ashfur from doing this to her was to kill him. And she did that. People were rather surprised by this (not cats. They didn’t know.) and were even more surprised when Hollyleaf told the truth to the gathering then fled. People think Hollyleaf is bad for this but don’t realize she acted out of fear. Fear of her burden becoming too much, fear of what cats would whisper about her. Hollyleaf is not a bad character simply misunderstood.

Ashfur.
People hate him for no good reason. He was driven half crazy by love and hid it well but when the time came, he was absolutely craycray. All he wanted was Squirellflight and to be a loyal warrior. Not much to ask but without SquRrelflight he couldn’t be happy and slowly got killed by misery and spent days plotting how to revenge against squirrelflight.. He is now internationally hated for loving too hard. Not fair peeps. This thus concludes my article.

Similar Posts:

37 Replies to “Why Hollyleaf and Ashfur are good cats. *Spoilers* by Softpaw”

1. Jetclaw
    May 8, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Ashfur is hated because he attempted murder of 4 innocent cats. ‘Loving too much’ was a too nice way to see obsession, or a poor choice of words. He wanted Squirrelflight to be his mate, and refused to take her happiness into consideration. If he’d ‘loved her’ like you claim he’d have wanted what’s best for her. After all if you love someone you do want them happy.
    Speaking from experience I’ve felt both love and jealousy, I was hurt to the point I said some not very nice things to some people and the person I loved after I got dumped. So yes, love can inspire a desire to inflict pain, but it doesn’t justify it. My pain did not entitle me to get angry and try to lash out at the person I loved and try to cause trouble with the girl he liked. It wasn’t fair to him, he decided he didn’t love me and ended it rather than force himself to make me happy and even then it’d end badly because we wouldn’t be in love.
    I’ve since seen the error of my ways, I do still feel attachment for that guy, but I want him happy even if it’s not with me.
    This also came to a head 6 months after I’d officially ended it, so I wasn’t holding onto it even half as long as Ashfur did.
    Had Ashfur’s bitterness been contained to wanting to either avoid Squirrel, be nasty to her and her family, or like how he questioned Brambleclaw becoming deputy thanks to Leafpool’s vision, then I’d say he wasn’t evil. He’d have been a lonely bitter cat, who was obsessed with the fact he wasn’t with Squirrelflight and be a source of trouble maybe, but not evil,
    What makes Ashfur a terrible wicked cat was that not only was he obsessed with Squirrelflight he went out of his way to hurt her. He tried to murder her father, and her kits. Or expose her secret and leave her isolated from those she loved.
    The fact he went so far to murder (And even though firestar didn’t fully die, Ashfur cost him a life or two by trapping him in the fox trap) shows Ashfur is evil, frankly I’m disappointed he’s not in the dark forest. His actions could be likened to Mapleshade, who I have way more sympathy for how she wound up this way. The only differences was Mapleshade didn’t get friendzoned she loved a cat, had kits with that cat, and then it all came crashing down when her clan kicked her out because they weren’t full clan, and her kits drowned and her ‘mate’ ditched her to save face with a new cat he loved.
    Had Mapleshade failed to kill any cats like Ashfur had, she’d maybe wind up in StarClan or at least outside of the Dark Forest too depending on her actions following those failed attempts (or if she died during them).
    Killing still isn’t justified but again way more sympathy to Mapleshade who was hurt far worse than Ashfur EVER was.
    Another thing Ashfur had a long time, he could’ve let go. He should’ve let go, he did nothing to try and redeem himself for his attempt to kill FireStar, instead he holds onto it and then tries to kill ‘Squirrelflights’kits seasons later.
    He deserved the Dark Forest or purgatory if you ask me.
    Holly leaf I love is because even though she killed the piece of fox dung above, she exiled herself because she feels guilty for what she’s done to her clan and her family. She came back to her clan later and worked hard to REDEEM herself or at least do some penance for what she’d done. Holly leaf died defending her clan from a dangerous threat. Ashfur died because he WAS a threat.

2. May 8, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Nice article! 😀

3. May 8, 2017 at 4:41 pm

I agree with Hollyleaf though I didn’t really care that much when Ashfur died. The saddest death in all warriors by far (in my opinion) was Moth Flight. Ashfur, didnt ‘love too much’ he was just obsessed. No big deal. Him loving to much does not justify attempted murder. I know a lot of other people have said this but still. Also, I never really hated characters like Ashfur, Tigerstar, Brokenstar. I only really hated Darktail. Yay! He’s dead!

Nonbinary, Gyne and Demisexual

• May 9, 2017 at 1:32 am

If you’re going to say a spoiler for a certain book you have to put up a warning for those who havent read it, because it hasn’t been a month since Shattered Sky came out. ^^

"Say Colorado-
      I'M A GIRAFFE"

4. Emberpaw/storm
    May 8, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Why did he like squirrelflight in the first place……..

• Shiverfur
      May 8, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Why does anyone like anyone? 😛

caecilius est in horto

• Mintkit(feather)/Mint That Grows Where Feathers Fall
        May 9, 2017 at 2:02 am

oh my goodness

that got me thinking

why do people like other people

my life is turning on its head

i’m going to pretend i never saw this

When in thorns, look for roses

5. Owlfeather
    May 9, 2017 at 1:25 am

great article!!! i personally HATE ashfur. but i absolutely agree with you on hollyleaf!!!
    LOVE HOLLYLEAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=^..^=

6. Silverpaw
    May 10, 2017 at 3:38 pm

‘Loving too much’ should never be an excuse for attempting murder. If your ex tried to kill your family members, you’d think what they did was wrong, correct? That’s exactly what Ashfur is doing. He attempted to kill cats not even involved in the situation really, innocent cats, because someone they loved didn’t want to engage in a romantic relationship with him.

He didn’t need Squirrelflight. She wasn’t his object or his toy. He chose to not move on, and to let his hatred and bitterness grow. If he’d been passive aggressive or something, I wouldn’t dislike him. Yeah, his heart was broken. He got dumped, rejected, friendzoned, whatever you want to call it. I wouldn’t blame him for ignoring her, choosing not to be her friend anymore, maybe being a little jerky. That’s understandable. He was hurt. He felt used. (just to clarify, she didn’t use him, she has the right to decide who she wants to spend her life with) Moping around is something I can get. But attempting to kill innocent cats is not okay. They had nothing to do with the situation. Even if he had tried to kill Squirrelflight or Brambleclaw, it wouldn’t have been okay.

Trying to kill cats because he’s obsessed with his ex is not justifiable. It’s just sick. He felt no remorse. He actually tried again several, several moons after his first attempt. “Oh, but he didn’t kill them, he’s chill! ^^” Yeah, but he only didn’t kill them because he found a way to make them suffer. That’s just evil.

Hollyleaf is great. She actually felt guilty about what she did. She did everything possible to make up for it, and really did earn her place in StarClan.

7. Ashfall
    June 12, 2017 at 12:11 am

My reasoning behind Ashfur lashing out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwXV090VcvE
    Besides. BRAMBLECLAW WAS A JERK! Everybody thinks of him badly because of ONE scene. I don’t see people hating on Scourge that much for being an idiot. SCOURGE! And everyone blames Thistleclaw for influencing Tigerclaw! Thistleclaw was a zounderkite but he wasn’t THAT evil! And if you’re going to blame Thistleclaw, LOOK AT RAVENPAW!

Jayfrost
      June 12, 2017 at 2:29 am

One scene? He tried to murder four innocent cats because a girl broke up with him, and he felt so entitled to her love that he felt justified in trying to punish her for not wanting to be in a relationship with him when she wasn’t in love with him anymore. Of course I’m going to think badly of him because of that.

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy

8. Sky
    July 16, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Ashfur does not deserve love. He was a murderer who had everything brushed aside. I would gladly murder him.

9. falcontail
    October 23, 2017 at 2:44 am

when people make articles about ashfur notice they forget about the part where he tried to KILL HIS CLAN LEADER!!!

from the great white north