Was Tigerstar Really THAT Bad? by Mossfluff

Mossfluff wonders if Tigerstar was really that bad.

Art by Blaukralle

Wait, wait, wait. Before you start thinking ‘oh Tigerstar is totally evil, he was a killer,’ and hit the back button pause for one second and chill. Take a look back at Tigerstar with me. 😼

1. All Tigerstar wanted was a mighty and proud clan
He didn’t murder cats just for the joy of it, he murdered them because he was trying to make his clan mighty again. Bluestar said it herself in the first book, her clan was weak. Tigerstar was a strong warrior, and when he saw an opportunity to make his clan great again, he took it. All he wanted was a pure clan. No kittypets, making things weak, no halfblood cats, with their loyalties divided, just fully Thunderclan cats. You’re probably thinking about Redtail and Tigerstar’s attempted murder of Bluestar. Easy-peasy. He was impatient. It really sounds like a bad, bad case of OCD. He wasn’t a serial killer, folks.

2. He believed that Starclan approved of him
In Tigerclaw’s Fury, you notice a lot. In it he has a vision, and he thinks it’s an omen from StarClan. He must think StarClan must be mad about all the kittypets and half-Clan cats in the Clans, mainly ThunderClan. He really does stick to the warrior code, minus the few occasions. Tigerstar wanted two things: power over all the Clans and for those Clans to be the strongest in the forest.

3. Tigerstar…. and his heart
Of course! You can see how much he cares about Bramblestar when he’s trapped in the fire. At a first glance he comes off stone-hard and bloodthirsty, but that really might not be the case. The reason he later walked in Bramblestar’s dreams was because he knew that Bramblestar was destined to be leader, as Hawkfrost could be too. He knew Tawnypelt had no desire to be a leader whatsoever, and Mothwing was already a medicine cat so she was out of the question, which is why he never walked in their dreams. Even though he invited Tawnypelt into the Dark Forest once, and she refused. Another reason is because he didn’t want ThunderClan to die in a fire. ‘No cat deserves to die like that, surely?’ are his thoughts. I thought that was nice. He also was a perfectly sweet kit until Thistleclaw came along and turned him evil. Remember in Bluestar’s Prophecy when Thistleclaw goaded Tigerstar, then Tigerpaw, into at taking the tiny black kit that later turned out to be Scourge?

Anyway, maybe I’ve changed your mind about Tigerstar, or set you on the path to forgiving him. He did have a heart, it was just eroded by years of evilness. This is then end of my article, I hope you like it. 😺

Similar Posts:

42 Replies to “Was Tigerstar Really THAT Bad? by Mossfluff”

1. Pheasantheart
    May 23, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Slightly connected comment: Is is possible Tigerstar is so ambitious because he wants to prove himself to his father? (I know that Pinestar is, of course, not literally there, but the Pinestar in Tigerstar’s mind.) Maybe he’s always thought that he wasn’t good enough, and thought that was why his father left him. That might be a factor in why he so badly wants to prove himself to be a savior to the Clans.
    (If someone already wrote an article about this, sorry for repeating your idea! 😅)

• Mossfluff 🍃
      May 24, 2017 at 3:07 am

I never realized that! He could actually be trying to prove himself!

We’ll have to ask the Erins….

• Angelica
        April 26, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Hey, he killed for his own ambiton. He killed Redtail just because he wanted to become leader. He wanted to gain power, he was bloodthirsty. Yes, he loved Goldenflower and Sasha, but that was his soft spot. He was there when Firestar , fireheart then, save Bramblekit. He couldve saved yellowfang, or something, but he just stood by and watched. He also wanted to kill Bluestar. He was blinded by his ambition for power and glory.

• Emberpaw
      May 24, 2017 at 9:50 pm

O cause when tigerstar gets his nine lives in ultimate guide pinestar is there and tigerstars all like I hate you

2. May 24, 2017 at 1:16 am

I agree with you that he thought he was helping his clan, but half-clan cats and kittypets aren’t weak as the series continually proves, so Tigerstar’s actions are not justified. He may have believed them to be so, but that doesn’t make him right.

And as the article says, “Tigerstar wanted two things: power over all the Clans and for those Clans to be the strongest in the forest.” Well, that just shows how ambitious he was and how he didn’t care for the cats who were happy as they were and not desiring a dictator.

Finally, maybe he did care for Bramblestar, but he didn’t enough to realize his actions were wrong and to stop trying to lead his son down the same road. He even tried to get Bramblestar to murder Firestar, a leader that Bramblestar really cared about. If Tigerstar truly loved his son, why did he try to trick him into doing something unethical and something Bramblestar didn’t want to do?

Overall, you made persuasive points, but I still think Tigerstar was awful. I have empathy, but little sympathy towards him.

• Mossfluff 🍃
      May 24, 2017 at 3:13 am

I agree partially agree with you on one of your ideas – yes, the series does continually prove that half-clan and kittypet cats aren’t weak but from Tigerstar’s view they are. His father was a mighty (not sure about this because I haven’t read Bluestar’s Prophecy in fur-ever) leader who left to be a house cat. The then Tigerkit heard cats gossiping about Pinestar, saying he was a coward and weak. This sent him towards a belief that kittypets are helpless.

Mossfluff 🍃

P.S
      Did you get the pun? 😹

3. Lightningpaw/strike/star
    May 24, 2017 at 3:26 am

Agreed Tigerstar was not really a villain but he was

4. Embertsar (Emberdawn)
    Embertsar (Emberdawn)
    May 24, 2017 at 9:03 pm

While I guess it is completely possible that Tigerstar slowly became the evil character we see in the books, I don’t feel like I can “forgive” him anytime soon, mainly because, well, he’s got a LOT of things stacked up against him that really can’t just disappear that quickly for me to start forgiving him 😛

Writer, photographer, mod

• Mossfluff 🍃
      May 25, 2017 at 1:00 am

I agree with you on the “lot of things against him part”!

5. Owlmoon
    May 25, 2017 at 1:41 am

Despite how much I have to agree with you here…he was killing cats. And QUEENS. Did I mention that? Even if he did have a heart, he was battle hungry and selfish. Notice how he never felt much for other people not concerning him.

6. Owlfeather
    May 25, 2017 at 1:44 am

TIGERSTAR: make the Clans great again!!! :3

7. Emberpaw
    May 25, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Jayies comments the best and also this article just created a whole argument between blogclan

8. Mossdrip
    May 25, 2017 at 3:08 pm

The comments are so heated here it’s like the Star Wars/ Star Trek discussion or Marvel/ DC discussion its kind of uncomfortable to watch I think Jayfrost is gonna rip the heads off of everyone who disagrees with her

Jayfrost
      May 25, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Sorry, I don’t mean to look rude. I just get worried when people try to excuse the actions of villains, and considering that Tigerstar is the most bigoted of the villains, killed the most cats (besides maybe Brokenstar), and committed genocide against those he saw as impure, it really worries me that people would look at his actions and try to make excuses for them, because that sort of thing happens in real life, and it’s not excusable.

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy

• Mossdrip
        May 25, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Actually I’m sorry I made you fell that way you have every right to express your opinion over anything and I totally agree with you things happen like that in life all the time can you believe that some people actually think that hitler was good and it’s amazing to have someone who’s not afraid to stand up and fight for what they think is right and wrong I’m just like you in the same way I don’t back from a conversation like this even when I start to sound borderline ignorant so I commend you Jayfrost for speaking what you believe to be true

Jayfrost
          May 25, 2017 at 5:57 pm

It’s fine. 🙂 And aw, thanks. ^^ I just think it’s important to distinguish between liking characters as fictional characters, and liking villains just because they’re cool characters, and making excuses for bad behaviors.

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy

• Butterflypaw(flower) Who Loves Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
            May 26, 2017 at 1:49 am

Are you saying it’s okay to like characters as fictional characters or villians just because they’re cool characters but NOT to excuse them being evil? Because I agree with that! I like Scourge and Hawkfrost because they’re cool and I think Scourge is really interesting because of how he started out as Tiny, ran away because he was tired of his siblings, got hurt by Tigerstar, ran into the city and became a rogue like a bunch of other cats he hung out with, but I don’t think it was actually OKAY that he killed cats! He’s cool (and cute) as a fictional character and me being the weird person I am I like to draw fan art of him with shades and a swag chain, but that’s because he’s FICTIONAL and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. It’s like what you were saying: There’s a difference between liking fictional characters (good and evil) and thinking it was okay for cats like Scourge and Tigerstar to kill cats, since there are people in real life that kill other people. None of the characters in Warriors are 100% evil or 100% good of course. They all have their good sides and bad sides. It just depends on which characters choose to let their good sides show more and try to fight against their bad sides, like Storm in Survivors. I find her really relatable because she always tries to do the right thing but her flaws get in the way of that and she gets frustrated easily, but she always TRYS to be a good dog, which is why I think so many people like her, because she has flaws, but she always tries to do the right thing. So I agree with you! There’s a difference between liking fictional characters (good or bad) for whatever reasons and saying it’s okay that Tigerstar killed cats. Even though Tigerclaw’s Fury was fun to read since in some ways it really DID seem like he was the good one XD the rest of the series and some of Tigerclaw’s Fury makes it pretty clear he’s evil.

Jayfrost
              May 26, 2017 at 2:03 am

Yep, that’s what I was saying. ^^ I like Scourge as a villain too, and Tigerstar’s actually one of my favorite villains in the series, though Clear Sky has him beat as the most interesting in my opinion. ^^ It’s just important to distinguish between liking a character and excusing their behavior. 😛

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy

9. ❄️Cheetahpaw is Ready for a Snow Day❄️
    January 17, 2018 at 3:32 am

I agree with your points but…. How do you explain him wanting to completely destroy the Clans while he was in the Dark Forest?

Will be missing from Tues-Thur

10. February 12, 2018 at 7:02 pm

One of the things Tigerstar did was kill Brindleface, and I have a theory about that. The queen sort of adopted Firestar, so seeing his “mother” dead really was devastating to him. Maybe Tigerstar was trying to hurt Firestar by killing his family.

Formerly Galaxypaw

Jayfrost
      February 15, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Brindleface didn’t adopt Firestar, she adopted Cloudtail.

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy