Mapleshade: Misguided or Truly Evil? by Birdtail

Birdtail discusses Mapleshade’s character.

Art by Warrior-Junie

Okay, so here’s the way I see it.
Mapleshade is not truly evil.
It all started when Ravenwing revealed that her kits were actually Appledusk’s. Then, she was banished from the Clan. If you consider her evil for loving a RiverClan warrior, think again. She is not evil just because she had kits with a RiverClan warrior. Graystripe and Silverstream had another relationship like that.
The next thing that happened is that she tried to swim the river. She lost ALL THREE of her kits that way. That’s heartbreaking. Getting dumped by Appledusk right after probably broke her heart even more. The next thing she knew, she had been banished by TWO Clans, all in the same day.
She heard her kits’ voices in her mind. “Mama, help me!” “Mama! Mama!” Etc. So she wanted to get her revenge.
The most obvious choice was her first target, Ravenwing. He was the one who got the Clans into this mess. So she snuck into the Moonstone, killed him, etc. Uncovering his body was a little much, but she was probably still blinded by grief and stuff. Maybe anger that nobody helped her kits. Either way, she set one of her kits free.
The second target was Frecklewish. She had learned from Nettlepaw, a ThunderClan apprentice, that Frecklewish had watched her kits die. So of course she went and decided to kill her. That would set another one of her kits free! She unblocked the adder nest at Snakerocks, and lured Frecklewish there. Then a snake bit Frecklewish. She went blind and died. But she set one of her kits free. And it was still pretty recent after her kits’ deaths, so she could’ve just been driven by her anger and grief that they were dead.
The third target was Appledusk himself. She kidnapped his apprentice, Perchpaw, and blamed him for killing their kits. He blamed her back. She ended up trying to kill Reedshine and Reedshine’s unborn kits, probably to show Appledusk what she was feeling. Sure, that may be a little overkill, but strong emotions like grief and anger blind you and make you make some pretty bad decisions. Unfortunately she killed Appledusk instead.
Then, she was fatally injured and died. She may have arrived at the Dark Forest, but maybe she just changed in the midst of all this.
Overall, I think Mapleshade may have just been blinded by anger at RiverClan (especially Appledusk) and grief for her kits. This may have led to a change in personality. She only killed to avenge her kits. Would you do that if you were in her situation? What’s your opinion? Do you think she was just misguided or that she is truly evil?

Similar Posts:

25 Replies to “Mapleshade: Misguided or Truly Evil? by Birdtail”

1. Brightkit
    July 31, 2017 at 7:37 pm

I felt VERY ANGRY when I read Mapleshade’s Vengeance. I mean, what did Mapleshade do to get such rotten treatment? Graystripe and Silverstream were forgiven and not many cats minded their relationship. Heck, Graystripe was highly respected! Why can’t they forgive Mapleshade? I can’t even imagine how much fury and grief Mapleshade had been feeling when she was rejected by ThunderClan, RiverClan, and Appledusk, then her kits died. At least she had a REASON to be evil (*coughcough unlike Tigerstar and practically every villain from then on coughcough*)
    Anyway, this is a great article, Birdtail. I agreed with every word of it.

By the way…
    Go die in a hole, Appledusk. No one will care.
    Same for dumb Reedshine.

• Sky
      August 1, 2017 at 2:01 am

Agreed.

Join NatureClan today!!!

• Butterflyflower
      August 2, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Did Reedshine know about Mapleshade though? I haven’t read Mapleshade’s Vengeance so I don’t know, but I think Appledusk was cheating on both of them, wasn’t he? So the whole thing wouldn’t have been Reedshine’s fault. She went on to have Shellheart, who mated with Rainflower. They had Crookedstar and Oakheart. But I could be wrong on the whole Reedshine didn’t know Appledusk was also mated to Mapleshade thing.

• Flashtail
      August 3, 2017 at 7:34 pm

To be fair, Graystripe had the backing of Bluestar, who had gone through same the ordeal and Silverstream died. Mapleshade lied about who the father was, which I think is ultimately why Oakstar exiled her.

• Moonystar
        August 5, 2017 at 11:40 pm

She didn’t lie. Her clan just assumed that Birchface was the father of her kits. In LITERALLY 2SECONDS THE WHOLE CLAN KNEW WITCH IS RIDICULOUS in my opinion. Then she had no way to tell the whole clan until her kits were born.
        #Oakstaristheevilone #Mapleshadeisthebest

• Sparktooth
        August 8, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Flashtail I totally agree! Oakstar was just doing what a leader should. Mapleshade lied about his son(Birchface) and think about how happy he must’ve been to know his son’s kits would be in the Clan! So maybe Oakstar was blinded by grief when he exiled her too.

• Moonystar
      August 5, 2017 at 11:35 pm

EXaCTaMUNDO!!

2. Pantherheart
    August 1, 2017 at 12:22 am

I loved Mapleshade’s Vengeance honestly. It was dramatically amazing. I think she just went insane. Like Ashfur. Anyways, nice article!

3. Mistypaw
    August 2, 2017 at 3:06 pm

I do think she is not truly evil. Yes I know she’s blinded by grief but I think killing cats is bad. Mapleshade is not entirely good. But I think if she had went to StarClan she’d be a better cat. Anyways I love this article and I do agree with all the points except for the “grief justifies killing”. I think Mapleshade is treated too badly and I hoped that she had went to StarClan. I feel bad for her 🙁

(P.S I am a Mapleshade fan)

4. Sparktooth
    August 5, 2017 at 10:36 pm

I honestly have to say, I think Mapleshade is truly evil. She became my least favorite character the moment she was introduced. It was her fault her kits died, and that’s no excuse for her to become an insane murderer. Other characters had to suffer through loss of their kits, and they never went this mad! She tried to destroy poor Crookedstar and almost killed Sandstorm because of jealousy! I’m not gonna keep going because I wrote an article on this topic XD. It probably won’t be published for a while. But anyway, I’ve never really liked Mapleshade(that’s my opinion so please respect that). 🙂