Millie VS. Blossomfall by Foxpaw

Foxpaw analyzes the volatile relationship of Millie and Blossomfall.

Artwork by dokidoki-san

Okay, here we are on one of those topics that split the fandom in half. So, Millie is that spunky, adventurous, awesome she-cat who replaces Silverstream, saves Graystripe’s life numerous times, and gave up her life to live as a warrior. Not many people liked her at the start for replacing Silverstream, and some others started despising her after Briarlight’s injury. But the biggest blow was in Sign of the Moon, when Blossomfall explained Millie’s neglectful attitude to Dovewing.

Strange how one scene can cause one character to get blown away by hate from ferocious fans.

Now let’s explore Blossomfall’s character before we get back to the incident. As a cat in general, Blossomfall is a determined she-cat, and some might say…spoiled. Why? Well, as an apprentice, remember when she was on the Leaders’ Tree at the Gathering? She was well aware she was not supposed to be there but I agree, this is a common young cat’s mistake. But Millie, however defended Blossompaw even though she knew it was wrong of her daughter to do that. This is a big blow on Millie’s character too that many readers missed/ignored. So this type of parenting, kind of spoiled Blossomfall to the point where she thought she could do anything. Even as a warrior, Blossomfall was quite rude and possessive especially when Bumblestripe wanted to partner with Dovewing. She most likely felt in need of someone after Briarlight’s injury but she reacted quite negative and was mean to Dovewing after that. I’m just saying, Blossomfall wasn’t always a good cat. Remember when she acted like Dovewing was better than Ivypool in front of the latter to anger her as an apprentice? Yeah. Not always a nice cat.

This ties into the scene. Blossomfall must have misread Millie’s actions as she always felt used to her mother always being there for her that now, as an adult, she still wants support. I’m not saying that’s wrong, but Blossomfall could act a little better about the situation. Briarlight, a sweet, gentle, shy she-cat always wanted to be the best warrior as she could be. Then she goes and tries to save an elder, when she gets paralyzed. All her dreams – gone. Erased. Can never happen, EVER. Now, she has to watch cats obsessing over her, treating her like a kit, her sister feeling neglected because of what happened, feeling like everything is her fault and she is such a burden. Imagine that.

Blossomfall knows it’s wrong to despise her sister for that but she does so anyways. She doesn’t have to go to the Dark Forest for her feelings. She is a hardworking warrior cat and she has the choice to be good, but she gave it up, thinking if she had exceptional battle skills, she would capture her mother’s attention, stealing some away from her sister who needed it more.

Anyways, now about the scene where Millie yells at Blossomfall. Let me pull up her exact quote,

“Where have you been?” Millie snapped. “You’ve wasted a whole morning when you could
have been hunting!” Glancing back at Briarlight, who was struggling to join the group at the fresh-kill pile, she added, “Your sister would give anything to be able to help feed the Clan! It’s time you grew up, Blossomfall, and started to behave like a proper warrior.”

Okay, maybe that was harsh. But if Millie did not care at all, she would’ve either ignored Blossomfall or called her things like “worthless” or “stupid” which she didn’t. And it is time Blossomfall grew up. She expects her mother to cater to HER needs instead of her crippled sister, she’s wrecking her own life just for more attention, when she’s an adult and she can take care of herself.

Now, remember my point about Millie spoiling Blossomfall as an apprentice? Well, I feel like she’s a protective parent, but not the best as she didn’t notice how Blossomfall was turning out until Briarlight’s incident. So overall, Millie is a true mother that cares about all her kits, and she’s sensible but she is kind of overprotective, as some may say.

As for Blossomfall, I guess this could be kind of bias as I never really liked her character to begin with, but I do see how she’s changing, especially after the Great Battle. Learning how the Dark Forest betrayed her, has seemed to make her a much better cat, and she seems to be growing more independent and caring, so I have to give her credit for that.

In conclusion, neither side is at fault, nor innocent. They both have negative traits that collided and created a deep misunderstanding, but, in the end, they do love each other, mother and daughter.

Similar Posts:

None Found

23 Replies to “Millie VS. Blossomfall by Foxpaw”

1. Sky
    September 14, 2017 at 12:31 am

I have to disagree.

First off, right off the bat you expressed your like for Millie, resulting in obvious against-Blossomfallness.

Blossomfall wasn’t spoiled. In fact, the majority of the time, she was the kit who was ignored. Millie was just being a mom when she stood up for Blossomfall, but afterwards I cannot point out a single moment in OoTS where Millie was kind and motherly to Blossomfall or shared her love equally.

Rainbowness

• Aquapaw
      September 14, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Yeah, I agree with Sky. You do say that you like Millie, so you are kinda biased on this. Plus, I ship SilverxGray like, hardcore. I AM AN ETERNAL SHIPPING FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🔥

2. Sparktooth
    September 14, 2017 at 1:20 am

Great article! Like you, Foxpaw, I love Millie and don’t really care for Blossomfall. I especially agree with your points about Blossomfall being spoiled. I liked Blossomfall at first, but when she became an apprentice and the story kept going, my like for her faded. Like when she said:

“No way!” Blossompaw’s horrified mew took Ivypaw by surprise. “She’s not properly trained. Can’t I have Dovepaw? At least she can hunt” Fading Echos page 124.

That was the part of the paragraph where she became disliked by me. But then I thought as the series went on, she might grow to become a respectable warrior. But that didn’t really happen. Like when she sat on the leader’s tree even though she knew she couldn’t, and when she trained in the Dark Forest when she knew it was wrong. A lot of people blame Millie for Blossomfall training in the Dark Forest, but Blossomfall made her own decision.

I’m also gonna mention when Millie yelled at her. So what? Your parents probably yell at you, and do you hate them? Well it’s the same for Millie.

Not to mention Millie had one of her kits so close to death many times. Briarlight almost died two times as a kit, by greencough and an adder, and then almost a third time when she broke her spinal cord. After that, it would be very hard to imagine Millie not being a little overprotective of her kits, especially Briarlight. So when Blossomfall went in the tunnels and almost died, of course Millie yelled at her! All of ThunderClan thought Hollyleaf was dead from the tunnels, so Millie would be worried. Just think about that next time any of you fellow bloggers want to criticize Millie.

I think Millie doesn’t deserve as much hate as she gets.

• Ebony Is Too Lazy To Log In
      September 14, 2017 at 3:26 am

Sadly, that’s not the worst Blossomfall has ever said. “Blossomfall snorted. “What’s the worst that could happen? We might lose the use of our legs?” -Sign Of The Moon, page 218.

I also agree with Millie.

• Sparktooth
        September 14, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I completely agree with that, Ebonypaw. Blossomfall sure has a sharp tongue.

3. Bluepaw (Blueheart)
    September 14, 2017 at 1:34 am

Hmmm… this is very interesting I can definitely see where you are coming from. No opinion again. Because I knew what happened before I read it. (Spoilers suck in case you didn’t know.) And Millie’s spout of anger was most likely worry as well. Sometimes when your worried, in order to relax again you have yell before you can calm down.

• Foxtail
      September 14, 2017 at 4:13 am

I agree with Sky on this. In fact, I feel bad for Blossomfall AND Millie. They aren’t my favorite but I’d still have to side with Sky on this one. But nice article!

4. Ebony Is Too Lazy To Log In
    September 14, 2017 at 3:23 am

Agreed. I like Millie, and I hate Blossomfall.

5. September 14, 2017 at 10:23 am

Nice article Foxpaw, but I disagree.

You say that Blossomfall should be more ‘grown-up’ instead of looking for more attention from Millie. But consider this: before Briarlight’s accident, Millie was pretty nice to Blossomfall, and then suddenly Briar becomes crippled and all of Millie’s attention is now on Briar.

Think of it, your own mother, your own kin, the cat who gave birth to you and raised you to become an apprentice, starting to ignore you and placing all her attention on your littermate.

Honestly, Millie could have done waaay better! Instead of paying so much attention to Briarlight, who didn’t want to be fussed over in the first place, she could pay more attention to her two other kits.

Sorzi
    Click it fast!

• Sky
      September 14, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Agreed

Rainbowness

• Ebony Is Too Lazy To Log In
      September 15, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Blossomfall should’ve acknowledged that Briarlight is dying instead of throwing a huge fit about it and deciding the Dark Forest is a good idea.

• Sky
        September 15, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I feel like Blossomfall joined the DF because she wanted to impress Millie. She had no intentions of being evil or fighting the Clans.

Rainbowness

• September 16, 2017 at 1:56 am

Her reason to join the DF could be similar to Ivypaw/pool’s. 😀 She felt that in the DF she was the one who got attention instead of Briarlight

Sorzi
          Click it fast!

6. Butterflyflower
    September 14, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I like both Millie AND Blossomfall. Blossomfall wasn’t very nice, I agree with that, but characters can change. 🙂 Dawnpelt wasn’t the nicest cat either in OotS, but she’s great in AVoS! We haven’t seen much of Blossomfall, but I’m sure both her and Millie have made up by now! Also, about Millie yelling, parents aren’t perfect! Sometimes they yell too much, but that doesn’t make them bad people, or even bad parents! And Jayfeather (one of the most loved cats) was very rude as an apprentice, and while he did change a little when he became a full med cat, he still had some sass to him. 😉 Then there’s the fact that in OotS EVERYONE was stressed out! (Even StarClan!) so I don’t think these cats should be judged TOO harshly about what they did in this series. Blossomfall fought against the Dark Forest in The Last Hope, and I’m sure she’s grown into a nice warrior by now. Millie has retired to the elders den, and I’m sure she’s proud of what ALL her kits have overcome. 🙂 (I do like Millie a little more than Blossomfall though because I think she’s a cool and interesting cat (She can talk to dogs!))

Sundance
      September 14, 2017 at 3:48 pm

I agree! 😀

• Bluepaw (Blueheart)
      September 14, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Very wise words. I agree completely.

7. Bluefire who is also Jaysky
    September 14, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Bluefire AGREEEEESSSSS
    So does Jaysky
    WTDF JAYSKY HOW ARE YOU WRITING ON MY COMMENTS???
    I’m in your HEAD XD
    WHA????
    Kidding =)
    Jaysky… you are crazy.
    You’re the one talking to one of your characters.
    Oh no. The dilemma of the modern day author.
    XD
    Don’t laugh at me!
    Why not?
    JAYSKY!!!! You are so frustrating.
    =) I know.

• Foxtail
      September 14, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I am now also agreeing with Butterflyflower and Sorzi!

8. September 15, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Did Blossomfall actually know the Dark Forest was bad though? To me it seemed that none of the Dark Forest trainees actually knew what Tigerstar and the others were planning. Plus she changed when she realised what was happening. However neither of them are my favourite characters, but they’re not that bad cats really.

• Ebony Is Too Lazy To Log In
      September 15, 2017 at 9:29 pm

She did know they were evil.

• Foxtail
        September 15, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Yeah she actually THOUGHT SHE DESERVED to be there because she knew that a littermate wouldn’t be jealous of another so SHE was hating herself for it so that’s why she went

9. Raventoast
    September 17, 2017 at 11:07 am

I’ve been on both sides. As Blossomfall; I had a younger sister with special needs, who was chronically unwell and required 90% of my mother’s attention. As a child and teenager, I was really jealous and resentful that there was nothing left for me.
    As Millie; I have a child who is chronically ill, which means that I have less time and energy for my other children.

It’s hard.

10. Maplepaw (Mapledrift)
    September 17, 2017 at 6:48 pm

I think that it neither Millie or blossomfall were right they both were wrong in how the acted

Ivypoolx Hollyleaf for the win