Why Mapleshade’s Victims Were Innocent! by Sparktooth

Sparktooth talks about Mapleshade’s victims.

Art by byStarCat

Yep, it’s happening once again, bloggers. Sparktooth is writing another article! I’ve been unintentionally rereading a lot of warriors books that feature Mapleshade in them. (The Last Hope, Crookedstar’s Promise, Mapleshade’s Vengeance, etc.) So she’s been on my mind lately. And I got to thinking about how the first three cats she killed to avenge her kits(Ravenwing, Frecklewish, and Appledusk) seem innocent. Here’s a list and why I think they are.

Ravenwing:
Apparently, Mapleshade killed Ravenwing because he told her secret about her kits to ThunderClan. But he was just following the Warrior Code. He knew it was wrong to lie, and had to do the right thing by telling Oakstar. It was Oakstar who exiled Mapleshade, not Ravenwing! So why did she follow him to the moonstone and murder him? As if that wasn’t bad enough, uncovering his body was going way too far! I honestly thought she would kill Oakstar, but I guess not.

Frecklewish:
She was so excited to know her brother’s(Birchface) kits would be in the Clan. So of course she would be angry when the truth was revealed. Oakstar sent her to check and make sure Mapleshade left the territory. Apparently, she watched as Mapleshade tried to cross the river with her kits. Maybe she was blinded by grief because Mapleshade lied. I hear that excuse for Mapleshade a lot. And she couldn’t have known the kits would die. I found it cruel when Mapleshade used the snake on her when she knew ThunderClan had no medicine cat.

Appledusk (And Reedshine and her unborn kits):
Okay, I wrote an article defending Appledusk and Reedshine. I’m gonna be quoting pretty much everything from that so if you’ve read that article you can skip this one. Anyway, Appledusk had a right to turn his back on Mapleshade. What would you do if your so-called mate killed your kids? Plus, Reedshine had no idea about Mapleshade, so of course she was trying to get Appledusk’s attention. Appledusk maybe loved her more, or truly belonged to RiverClan. But him leaving Mapleshade is not a good excuse to kill him. When Shellheart left Rainflower she never killed him! Also,, when Appledusk died saving Reedshine and her kits, I was like, “Oh my gosh! That is so sweet!”

So there’s my opinion for you. Do you agree with any of them? Thank you so much for reading and I hope to see you next time! 😀

Similar Posts:

36 Replies to “Why Mapleshade’s Victims Were Innocent! by Sparktooth”

1. Icepaw
    October 7, 2017 at 1:15 pm

I agree on Ravenwing and Appledusk, but not at all on Frecklewish. Great article, though!

2. Sky
    October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm

But, really…..

Graystripe and Mistyfoot carried one moon old kits across the river.

'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!!

• Fawkes Tail's Evil Twin
      October 7, 2017 at 7:08 pm

True true
      (this is why I leave the main valid arguments for you, Sky. And Jetclaw and Bramblefire 😛)

• Sparktooth
      October 7, 2017 at 7:24 pm

But Mapleshade didn’t carry her kits. She had them swim across a flooding river in a storm. There’s a VERY big difference there.

• Fawkes Tail's Evil Twin
        October 7, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Hmm could a queen carry all three kits across? Perhaps but it’d still be risky. Also Mapleshade said she’d be right behind them so she did not just leave them to cross and then cross on the stepping stones. Besides the river was FLOODING. How could there be any stepping stones anyway? It was also the fastest way to get to RiverClan if she was being watched and then possibly killed if she stayed on ThunderClan territory any longer. And who was the cat who vanished her and her kits in A STORM? Yes that’s right, Oakstar. She had no choice. I think either way, if she stayed on ThunderClan territory or crossed, she’d be risking her own life as well as her kits so there wasn’t much of any hope. She knew that she was exiled from ThunderClan so she needed to get out of the territory as soon as possible. The river was the quickest way to get to RiverClan and plead for help. Yes, it was flooding. But Oakstar bannished them just right when it was. Like I said, Mapleshade probably would have died and been mocked either way.
        Idk if this argument is valid but that’s just what I believe. I don’t wish to argue with you and I understand everyone has different opinions. 🙂

• October 8, 2017 at 8:29 am

How could a queen carry three kits across the river?
          The answer is obvious: carry them one by one.
          But then perhaps Mapleshade thought they were half-RiverClan, so they should be able to swim by themselves.

(Bleh, my confusing p.o.v.)

Sorzi
          Don't click my name~

• Sky
        October 7, 2017 at 10:07 pm

?????

From what I recall, she wanted them to use the stepping stones, the SAFEST WAY ACROSS ACCORDING TO EVERY CAT OF THE CLANS.

'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!!

• Fawkes Tail's Evil Twin
          October 7, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Yes! I agree. Cause the river was flooded, right? So they wouldn’t have been much help anyway (or they could have but the rushing current could have knocked the crossing cats off their paws).

• Sparktooth
          October 8, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Actually, I own the book Mapleshade’s Vengeance, so I looked to see if she wanted to originally cross the the stepping stones, but it never mentioned it.

“She nudged Petalkit closer to the river. ‘Come on, we need to cross before it’s dark.’ The little brown kit hung back. ‘I don’t want to!’ she wailed. ‘There’s too much water!’ ‘You’ll be fine,’ Mapleshade insisted. She herded Larchkit and Patchkit alongside their sister. ‘I’ll be right behind you.'” –Maplesahde’s Vengeance, pg. 44.

So actually Mapleshade never considered using the stepping stones.

• Sky
            October 8, 2017 at 6:17 pm

But it never mentioned that she didn’t, either. And plus, these books are in third perspective. Maybe Mapleshade was thinking something along the stepping stones lines.

'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!!

• Sparktooth
              October 9, 2017 at 1:49 am

That is a good point, only I would point out that even though the books are in third perspective they usually show what the character and/or characters whose point of view the story in told in what they are thinking (if that makes sense XD).

3. Hazelpaw(moon)
    October 8, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Nice article! 🙂

4. November 5, 2017 at 10:07 pm

I completely disagree with this article. Sorry.