Opinions About Hated Characters by Skyeyes

Skyeyes shares their opinion on some of the most disliked characters in the fandom.

Artist unknown (found on Pinterest)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE some of the most hated warriors ever. Now, you must be thinking, “Skyeyes, why in the world would you love them?” Now, dear reader, I will analyze and give reasons to why I think these cats are actually the best warriors to exist.

1. Tigerstar-Now, Tigerstar earns a special place in my heart next to Feathertail and Featherwhisker. I’ll explain Featherwhisker later. Tigerstar gets a LOT of bad rep for being the main baddie in the series. But deep down in his roots, he’s just a misunderstood cat who was bullied into being who most people portray him as. First, let’s start out simple. From the day he was born. Tigerstar had promise before he was an apprentice. Born to Leopardfoot and Pinestar, the small kit was rambunctious. But when Pinestar left to become a kitty pet, Tigerkit decided he would never accept a kittypet into his clan. Not so rational thinking, but what do you really expect from a kit? When it was time, Tigerkit was apprenticed to Thistleclaw. At this time, Sunstar or anybody else didn’t see the horror that was truly Thistleclaw. Nobody except Bluefur. Now, on one of Tigerpaw’s first days of an apprentice, they stumble upon a tiny miserable kit. Tiny. Thistleclaw snarls at Tigerpaw to chase and/or hurt the intruder. Now, this is a kit we’re talking about. A kit. But Thistleclaw had a cold dark soul that was impossible to bring light into. Tigerstar was taught the ways of a monster by a bigger monster. When Tigerpaw took that first claw full swipe, doors opened wide. Doors opened to a whole new world. A world full of murder and bloodshed. Tigerstar knew from that day on, life was cruel. So he had to be cruel right back at it.

2. Millie. I never loved her, but she cared so much for Briarlight, it’s hard to not defend her. I think it was a nice chance to give Grastripe a second chance with love, even if it was with a kitty pet. And I honestly don’t think she’s a copy of Silverstram. She has the deep and jagged affection of a mother, and the spirit of a true warrior. What else can I say?

3. ASHFUR. Yeah. Besides Tigerstar (who I love by the way), Ashfur seems to be the most hated cat out there. But why? Have you ever been cast out, abandoned, ignored for so many moons on end? Hmm, let me guess. No. You haven’t. If you have, you might understand him as well. He was under so much pressure, so much anger, that he snapped. The frustration that comes with abandonment and taunting is horrible, growing hotter and denser and bigger every day. Sometimes you just can’t take it. You feel like the world has turned against you, like life just wants you to suffer. I love him. He’s just so misunderstood. If you ever went through anything like I or Ashfur did, and made it out alive, I praise you.

4. Rainflower. Now this is hard to back up. I absolutely hate her. She was like everyone else to Ashfur and I. She put the weight of 1000 tons on Crookedkit’s shoulders for not being perfect. For not being who she wanted him to be. Look who’s laughing now, Rainflower. But, I’ll try to back her up here. She just wanted the best future for her kits. She wanted her kits to be Thebes’s best in the clan. But she really meant it. When crookedkit broke his jaw, Rainflower knew that he wasn’t going to be a strong warrior like Oakkit. So she pushed him aside to make way for Crookedkit. Crookedstar and Ashfur actually have a lot in common. Abandoned, cast away, taunted. I guess some people never change. I guess some people just have it in their mind that it’s right. If you really think about it like Mistleheart did, Rainflower made her son stronger. Rain flower praised the kits for breaking the rules and going outside camp. So Crookedkit want to stand up to ThunderClan. So he tried, but broke his jaw. If Rainflower scolded him, he wouldn’t have broke his jaw. But that wouldn’t have made him who he was. The reason Crookedstar was strong was because he ran away, he needed some time without pressure and anxiety. He built up his strentgh and came back, against all odds. Against all odds, against Rainflower’s thoughts and mews. Crookedstar rose above it all. So savage.

5. Brokenstar. Same with Tigerstar, Brokenstar did what he thought was right. At first. When he was a small kit, he was bullied. (As shown in Yellowfang’s Secret) He was mad. He felt like the world was watching him suffer. Making his life bad on purpose. So he decided to rise up against the haters (You sensing a pattern yet?) and wanted to be the best he could. Yes, he never made rational decisions, but he was always in the moment. He thought what he was doing would lead his clan forward. Unfortunately, he was living in the moment, and many cats died.

BONUS: Why I like Feaherwhisker so much- I love Featherwhisker so much because even while Goosefeather was going senile, Featherwhisker was willing to do all of the medicine cat duties without a single complaint. He was always so cooperative and kind, and was overall a great cat. Also, did anyone else cry when Longtail died? I was in class, so I tried not to show it that much but still. Only me?

Similar Posts:

30 Replies to “Opinions About Hated Characters by Skyeyes”

1. Bramblefire
    October 11, 2017 at 12:23 am

Great article, but I hardly agree with Ashfur. Being hurt by Squirrelflight doesn’t give him the right to attempt murder on for different cats, including the clan leader. Ashfur broke the Warrior Code by attempting murder and he barely deserves sympathy. I don’t care if he wasn’t hugged enough as a kit, he crossed the line when he tried to kill cats to hurt someone else. That isn’t okay and his actions shouldn’t be justified. Take for instance, a girl sees a guy as her friend and has told him this, but he still isn’t satisfied. In a jealous rage, he tries to kill her family. That isn’t a thing okay in our society and since Warriors is personified cats, why should it be here? Ashfur attempted murder and that can’t be excused. It doesn’t matter if he succeeded or not or that he was hurt by her rejection. Squirrelflight calmly told him off easily and he was the one that took it too far, not her, so I can hardly sympatheize. Ashfur had a chance to get over her and he refused. What happened next was his fault and he shouldn’t be let off that easily.

(Sorry I got really into this…)

I like to say I'm interesting.

2. Bewitched Dawn (Dawnpaw/Dawnbringer)
    October 11, 2017 at 12:59 am

First time I have ever seen a Ashfur supporter. Good points on all of them, though I feel like any amount of bullying would not make you evil. *coughs*Brokenstar and Scourge *coughs*

I agree with Featherwhisker, though Goosefeather was not crazy.

I'm Doing BlogClan Homework

3. Sky
    October 11, 2017 at 1:20 am

I have to disagree with some of these.

Tigerstar – he was eager to attack the intruder first. I agree – Pinestar was terrible – but Tigerstar was ferocious as a kit anyways.

Ashfur – least favorite character. He was actually a lot more popular than Brambleclaw, and had more support than Brambleclaw. And yet, even when Squirrelflight offered friendship and others supported him, he chose to brood in his misery and never let go. He refused to find any other cat, instead plotting revenge and killing his leader once. Imagine if a Firestar had only one life.

Millie – she was a terrible mother who barely really cared for her kits, and from the book, doesn’t seem like Graystripe was too affectionate to her.

Rainflower – I don’t really know how to explain this, but I think that Rainflower was meh.

Brokenstar – Lots of cats are bullied as young cats, but they don’t go crazy. He may be “thinking in the moment,” but that’s no excuse. How can anyone defend a berserk cat who thought it was a good idea to drive out a Clan and kill KITS in the process? I have a baby sister, so I can imagine exactly how it would feel to lose her.

4. Dr. Jetclaw and Ms. Hyde
    October 11, 2017 at 1:42 am

I am getting very tired of these defenses of Ashfur claiming he’s misunderstood, and it’s a little worrisome that you’re relating yourself to Ashfur because he is NOT what you want to be.
    So let’s look at your reasoning why Ashfur is so misunderstood, he was abandoned… While yes his mother was killed Ashfur seemed to rise above this alongside his sister when they bravely were acting as part of the relay to get the dogs to the gorge. So while yes this may have affected him, Ferncloud moved on and as far as we could tell Ashfur wasn’t moping around about Brindleface by the time we neared the end of book 6 of New Prophecy.
    Cast out? Ashfur was never cast out. In spite of potential evidence linking him to Hawkfrosts plan, he was never punished. He was given an apprentice in Power of Three something that wouldn’t happen to a cat who had doubts cast over him like he was disloyal, unstable, or warranted being ignored in the clan. Plus he got to mentor a kit who was at the time known as the DEPUTY’s kit. That’s a high honor in ThunderClan, so he was hardly as you say Cast out or ignored.
    So he snapped because of frustration? Well the only thing going wrong in his life was he didn’t get to have Squirrelflight as his mate. Which is tough luck. Daisy didn’t get her happy ever after with Spiderleg, she got quite the opposite really, and did either of them snap and go beserk obsessing over the other cat for ‘ruining their vision of happiness and breaking their heart’, no they moved on like sane people.
    Ashfur was seemingly fairly well respected, and he got where he ended up by no ones fault but his own. I think it’s you who misunderstood him I’m afraid.
    All Ashfur had to do was recognize Squirrelflight wasn’t going to be his mate and MOVE ON. People criticize Mapleshade for going bad because of her obsession with vengeance. Tigerstar ended up in the Dark Forest because of his obsession and lust for power. And Ashfur should’ve ended up right there with them because he chose to obsess over how Squirrelflight refused to be in a loveless relationship with him.
    You need to understand this, Ashfur is not a role model, he is crazy and obsessed and thinking that his actions was loving too much is DANGEROUS. He was obsessed withSquirrelflight to the point he was willing to do anything, hurt anyone to make sure she suffered for the pain he believed she’d caused him. And all Squirrelflight did was decide not to become his mate, something SHE has a right to.

• Hauntedstorm233
      October 11, 2017 at 4:51 am

^
      My thoughts exactly, Jetclaw. I couldn’t have put it better.

• spooky scary SOOTY!!!tons (juniperpool)
      October 11, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Agreed!

ιғ ι coυld geт a ѕтarrιng role

• Emberpaw (Emberfang)
      October 12, 2017 at 1:01 am

Good stuff.

• Brightkit
      October 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm

So true. So true.

5. Shadow of Creepily Malfunctioning Shiny Purple iPhone (Shadowpaw)
    October 11, 2017 at 2:32 am

Hmm… Skyeyes, though you make a valid point, I have to respectfully disagree.

Tigerstar- Yes, it was a bad decision to assign him as an apprentice to Thistleclaw, and he did have a sad childhood. But that does not by any means justify the horrible things he did. He was, fundamentally, a racist, which is horrible and wrong on every level, and believed that he was better and more fit to be leader than every other cat in the forest, willing to murder in cold-blood for what he believed was his right to have, not because of the Warrior Code (like Mudclaw believed) but because he believed he was superior. He never once questioned whether what he was doing was wrong. He was a bad cat, no excuses.

Millie- I personally never disliked Millie, but she was sometimes annoying and very overprotective and overbearing to Briarlight, and didn’t always seem to remember she had other kits.

Ashfur- I’m going to piggyback off of Jayie’s amazing arguments against Ashfur here. Yes, Ashfur did have a traumatic experience, seeing his mother murdered, but experiencing something terrible does not justify doing something horrible. He decided that since Squirrelflight did not love him the way he loved her, he had to force her to feel all the pain he felt, because she had to understand. Yet, instead of working it out with words, he decided the best way to do this was to burn her children to death and make her watch. Because he thought that she should’ve been his mate, and she had completely wronged him by refusing to love him as a mate, to have only a purely platonic relationship. (This paragraph barely gives Jayie’s arguments justice… but if you search for Ashfur articles, I’m sure you’ll find Jayie’s amazing writing on the blog 🙂)

Rainflower- saying Rainflower was a good cat because she made Crookedstar stronger is like saying the Dark Forest was good because it taught Ivypool better skills to be a warrior. Sure, some of the effects were positive, but that doesn’t mean the cause instantly becomes okay because of that. Rainflower continued to discriminate against her own son purely because of his broken jaw. If she really wanted her kits to be the warriors in RiverClan, she would have tried harder to look past the surface and see the struggle and pain Crookedstar was going through just to prove himself to her. But she couldn’t look past her shallow image of perfect and handsome, even as her own mate told her exactly why it was wrong to think the way she was. She didn’t care to even attempt to see Crookedstar for what he really was, too caught up in what she saw. She tried to make him believe he was unwanted, to make him feel unloved by his mother. No one has the right to make another feel that way. Rainflower was not a good cat.

Brokenstar- Just like Tigerstar, there is no justification for homicide and attempted genocide of every other Clan in the forest. Just because he was bullied by his adoptive littermates and mother doesn’t mean he can go and force child labor upon ShadowClan’s young, encouraging them and the rest of the Clan to severely injure and kill other cats, and even their own Clanmates! There is a difference between ‘rising up against the haters’ and ‘making the rest of the world pay for my problems, even after I’ve proved to everyone around me that I’m just as strong, maybe stronger, than those who teased and gossiped about me’. Furthermore, even after being given a second chance in ThunderClan, he still made one final attempt to destroy his those around him, never looking back or feeling remorse. Does that sound like a cat who should be going to StarClan?

In conclusion, I’d like to say that, yes, you can like cats like Tigerstar, Brokenstar, and Rainflower as villains, with a respect for their character development as someone with a corrupt, evil mindset. However, I disagree with most of the points you made in defending the above cats, though I did enjoy your article very much. I hope you understand my point of view, and I look forward to your next article!

• Dr. Jetclaw and Ms. Hyde
      October 11, 2017 at 3:40 am

I would also like to piggyback off this, that if Ashfur was recognized as the villain he is I’d like him more. However, the fact the fandom keeps clinging to him like he’s some poor unfortunate cat is a bit worrisome.
      He is a very interesting villain, if the Erins had just let him be one.
      Here’s another thing, I feel like this article was more you want the fandom to stop disliking these cats because in your mind they’re sympathetic. But this… ruins their character. It’d be like me saying Mapleshade (who has steadily become one of the villains I sympathize the most with) was misunderstood. It’d be turning the other cheek to all the harm she caused and the deaths she wrought. Mapleshade lost her whole entire life, and the lives of her kits. For that I can sympathize with her suffering, but I still recognize she is a VILLAIN. She suffered just as much as say Bluestar, but the thing was Bluestar didn’t go mad, Mapleshade did and resorted to murder. Thus Mapleshade is a villain, it doesn’t keep me from appreciating her and feeling sorry for what she went through, but I still recognize she’s a villain and being banished to the Dark Forest for her deeds was deserved.
      Did Brokenstar’s life kinda suck, sure. Doesn’t undo all the pain he caused and how much of a monster he was. Did Tigerstar have the misfortune of not having his father present, and being seen as evil in the eyes of StarClan, yes. But unfortunately actions that occurred and his choices led him to where he ended up.
      You can like these characters as villains. But recognize them as villains.
      Minus Millie, who is well. meh to me.

Dance of Haunted Sun
        October 11, 2017 at 4:33 am

(Oh my gosh, Jet, I love your username. 😀 Jekyll & Hyde is awesome!)

• Dr. Jetclaw and Ms. Hyde
          October 11, 2017 at 4:36 am

Thanks the name occurred to me when I realized how similar Jetclaw sounded to Jekyll XP

• Emberpaw (Emberfang)
        October 12, 2017 at 1:05 am

Literally me every time I see a “Defending [Brokenstar, Ashfur, Rainflower, etc.]” article.

6. Willow that travels in TARDIS (Pondpaw)
    October 11, 2017 at 2:45 am

THERE NEEDS TO BE AN ASHFUR APPRECIATION DAY

• Dr. Jetclaw and Ms. Hyde
      October 11, 2017 at 3:28 am

You want to appreciate a guy who was so obsessed over a girl he tried to kill her children? And who acted as an accomplice to Hawkfrost’s efforts to try and kill Firestar, Squirrelflight’s father, and then get Brambleclaw exposed for his participation in the deed. Thus resulting in Squirrelflight losing her mate in father in one fell swoop had his plan succeeded.
      That’s really the cat you want to have an appreciation day?

• Bluefire/Spookfire the Candy Corn Ghost
        October 11, 2017 at 7:30 pm

yes jetclaw i agree

7. Fawkes Tail's Evil Twin
    October 11, 2017 at 2:50 am

Very good article! You have opened my mind to new opinions! However, Ashfur wasn’t abandoned really, was he? I mean yeah his mother died and so did his father, but he wasn’t abandoned exactly. Besides, Squirrelflight let him down NICELY. And what did he do? Yep that’s right he went insane. But I don’t HATE him. I’m just meh on him really. I’m meh on Millie too (don’t have an opinion on her). Tigerstar did have an influence from Thistleclaw so yeah. And Brokenstar was treated bad too (by his “mother” and stuff).
    You did a nice job on this, Skyeyes! 🙂👍🏽

8. Duskpaw
    October 11, 2017 at 3:23 am

Nice, interesting article!
    I have to disagree with Rainflower, though.
    I know she wanted the best for her kits, but she acted in a terrible way. I mean she didn’t have to rename him crookedkit to permanently remind him of his injury. And she was so obsessed with his looks that she ignored the pain he was going through. She was a pretty bad mother. Good job!

9. Bloody Booheart
    October 11, 2017 at 3:54 am

Interesting Article! I read all except Rainflower, because I haven’t read Crookedstar’s Promise yet. I don’t have any opinions on anyone here. (Spoilers) So haha 😛 RIP me.

10. October 11, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Ah… Nice article, but I DISAGREE.

Rainflower. According to you, Rainflower’s cruelty made Crookedstar strong. So what you imply is that without Rainflower’s cruelty Crookedstar wouldn’t be as good, as noble as he is.

But look at Oakheart, a very great and noble cat (except breaking the code to meet Bluestar, but then again many great cats broke the code). HE had Rainflower’s approval and still turned out great.

And Brokenstar– there is a difference between being cruel and proving yourself!

Sorzi