Who is the Worst Mate? by Sky

Sky considers who is the worst mate in the love triangle between Graystripe, Silverstream and Millie.

Art by Alisa222

Who Was the Bad Mate?

I’m here to tackle the most famous love triangle.

Who was the better mate: Millie or Silverstream?

Now, the majority of you know that I LOVE SILVERXGRAY AND HATE MILLIEXGRAY. And I always will. But…… I’ve been thinking a bit. One of Prowlclaw’s comments inspired this article, really. Prowlclaw and I share almost the exact same ideas XD.

Anyways.

After a lot of thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that……

GRAYSTRIPE is the BAD MATE.

Think about it.

First, he hangs up with a RiverClan she-cat and then they have kits. After she dies, he moves to her Clan before moving out again.

At first, he seems like a loyal mate who loves his mate and simply knew that he wasn’t needed in RiverClan anymore.

But…

After two series, he gets captured by twolegs. He meets a kittypet named Millie, and they become friends. Millie decides to help him get back to the Clans. It just so happens that this Millie cat looks exactly like Silverstream.

Hmm…..

Isn’t that a bit fishy? Doesn’t it seem like Graystripe just wanted a Silverstream reminder? And don’t you think that it hurt Silverstream to see him with some other cat?

Next, they arrive at the Clans, and a few books later, Millie gives birth to three of Graystripe’s kits – Bumblekit, Blossomkit, and Briarkit. Graystripe seems to be totally happy with his family, he loves them a lot, yakka yakka yakka, greencoungh, yadda yadda.

Then…..

His kits grow up, and he seems to be more distanced from them, even when Briarlight breaks her leg.

Now, recall how much he fawned over his kits with Silverstream.

Also, this is just a note from me that I’ve never been able to quite picture Briarlight, Blossomfall, and Bumblestripe as Graystripe’s relatives. Whenever I read about these three cats and think of their family, I think, “Wrongly geneticed(yeah that’s not a word, grammarly don’t kill me) kits of Millie.” I simply don’t include Graystripe, for some reason. It’s just my brain, I guess, but I don’t picture Blossom, Briar, and Bumble in Graystripe’s little fam.

Anyways, we’re off topic.

It seems like, overall, Graystipe saw Millie as a clone mate. He was unfair to her and her kits, while he fawned over Feathertail and Stormfur. I will say that Millie was a bad parent, so I think that’s why he distanced himself from her. But when Blossomfall most needed a caring parent, he didn’t step in. He hardly helped Bumblestripe with his love problems and didn’t step in against Millie when she attacked Blossomfall. This is partially because he doesn’t want to lose a mate again, AKA he doesn’t want to lose Silverstream clone again.

I feel like Silverstream, watching from above, was actually sympathetic towards Millie, which is why she wanted Millie to survive during the greencough epidemic.

So, overall, I feel like Graystripe was the worst mate. Millie was totally clueless to the fact that he merely saw her as a clone, and I’m sure she was hurt when he didn’t support her – not that I’d want him to join in on her attacking Blossomfall.

But I also think Graystripe was unfair to Silverstream. He basically forced her to push aside her feelings and feel guilty so that he could be happy.

He was also a bad father to Millie’s kits.

Don’t you think Blossomfall’s story would have changed if Graystripe had stood up to Millie? I know that Millie would be really hurt, but it’d be the right thing to do.

Seriously, in the big scene where Millie yells at Blossomfall, it’s mostly Whitewing and Brackenfur reacting a lot. Graystripe was just slinking around in the background.

So I think that Graystripe was the worst mate and father, with Millie standing second and Silverstream last.

I’ll try to respond to all of your comments! Please express your opinions, I won’t get hurt at all.

Similar Posts:

None Found

40 Replies to “Who is the Worst Mate? by Sky”

1. Lightningpaw
    November 5, 2017 at 9:54 am

Cool article Sky! I actually completely disagree! But everyone has their own opinion.
    I’d like to point own that while Silverstream never did anything that could be considered bad parenting, she wasn’t actually alive after the kits were born, and she acted really stuck up about her relationship with Graystripe, it was always “I’m the leader’s daughter! I can do whatever I want! ” Personally I prefer the developed relationship between GrayxMillie than SilverxGray, which seemed kind of rushed to me. And plus, Graystripe is only a background character in PoT and OotS, so we can’t say he never had time for his kits, because we don’t actually know. We just haven’t seen it ourselves, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.With the Blossomfall and Millie thing, both had a right to act as they did, even if they went kind of over the top.

• Sky of Autumn Leaves
      November 6, 2017 at 3:24 am

Silverstream NEVER used the excuse, “I’m the leader’s daughter!” I think it’s unfair to hate her for her parents, as she can’t control that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could also say that Silverstream and Graystripe bonded off-screen.

• Lightningpaw
        November 7, 2017 at 8:03 am

I didn’t say I hated her for who her parents were, I just thought she overestimated her authority in her Clan, that’s all.

• Sky
          November 10, 2017 at 3:36 am

Give me a sentence from the book.

Rainbowness

2. Lilypad
    November 5, 2017 at 12:19 pm

When you said “Briarlight breaks her leg” I think your referring to when she breaks her back.

• Sky of Autumn Leaves
      November 6, 2017 at 3:24 am

Yes! Sorry!

3. Briarleaf
    November 5, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I agree, I never saw graystripe step in and defend his daughter. Though Im sure he does care for Millie and their kits just doesn’t “express it” alot.
    I also have a mixed opinion on Millie. I can kinda understand why she “obsessed” over briarlight. But the way she treated Blossomfall wasnt right at all.
    Though she never yelled at Bumblestripe and he never seemed to really care about it. Bumblestripe was always very sympathetic with Briarlight and would kinda obsesss over her too, definitely not in the same way Millie did.
    I do think that graystripe should have stepped in at some point tbh.

-Briarleaf the bean

• Sky of Autumn Leaves
      November 6, 2017 at 3:26 am

Thanks!

4. Blue Turkey (I is so creative I know!)
    November 5, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Okay, I see where you’re coming from. But the whole “clone” thing, doesn’t stand.

Okay. So I have a grandpa. He has had three wives, they all look a whole lot alike! And that is because everyone has an appearance they are attracted to, if that makes sense. So like for me, it’s like, brownish-blondish people, or their full blown green and have a shell but that isn’t the point 😛 Anyways, the point is, this proves Graystripe is attracted to silver-gray tabbies.

He fawned over his first kits because they didn’t have their mother anymore, they were the closest things he had to Silverstream. But when he had kits with Millie, if you remember, he was worried about her dying in childbirth too, I believe he said if Jayfeather? Or was it Leafpool? Had to save Millie or the kits, to save Millie. I don’t know why he would have drawn away from his family, it might be the fact he had less screen time, but if you think about it, he might’ve just been worried if he intervened with Millie and Blossomfall, that he would lose another kit, or another mate. In a more heartwrenching way than death.

• Hamsterpelt
      November 7, 2017 at 2:35 pm

You are correct, everyone is attracted to the different things, yet these things are usually similar. And Graystripe may have bonded with his kits “off-screen”. Either way, I still hate Silver x Gray, but this is a world of opinions.

• Sky
      November 10, 2017 at 3:37 am

I don’t have an appearance I am attracted to. I am attracted to personality!

That’s exactly why he was a coward.

Rainbowness

5. Feather of an owl that floats over mountian (Owlfether)
    November 5, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Nice article!! i agree with some things and i don’t agree with others, but i’m not going to get into it so, Nice article!!

Angelica!Eliza!andOwlfeather

6. Brownies Walking On Their Own (WITCHcraft)
    November 11, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Nice work Sky! I also do not like Graystripe that much. i haven’t read much with Milli X Gray, but since I’m a Silver X Gray fanatic, i’m pretty sure I won’t like it.