Analyzing Scourge: Was He Really That Bad? by Sparktooth

Sparktooth analyses Scourge’s character. Spoilers for the “The Rise of Scourge” manga!

Artist unknown (Source: Pinterest)

The time has come, bloggers! Sparktooth has produced another article! 😀 So I’m going to be debating Scourge: the evil tyrant and leader of the dreaded BloodClan. Just so you all know, I honestly think Scourge is misunderstood. I’m not saying I think what he did isn’t wrong, because it was. But Scourge gets a lot of love and hate, and I think he doesn’t deserve much hate.

I’ll pretty much be spoiling everything that happens in The Rise of Scourge! This is your only warning *narrows eyes.*

Scourge was born as a little kittypet named Tiny. He was the runt of the litter, and was always small his whole life. Like when Tigerstar makes the comment “He’s no bigger than an apprentice,” when he first sees Scourge. Anyway as Tiny grew up, his siblings, Ruby and Socks, both were really mean to him. They said things like:

“We don’t like him!”
“But Mom, he’s such a little pipsqueak!”
“It’s no fun to play with him!”

Which really hurt poor Tiny. All he wanted to do was play with them! I know a lot of people hate Scourge claiming ‘he became a murderer just because of being bullied.’ But his littermates constantly insulted him when he was right there, and always made him feel left out. To make things worse, they were his siblings! Not some other cat who was just being mean, they were his own brother and sister. Ruby, in my opinion was the worst. When a ‘twoleg kit’ came to choose cats for pets, Tiny didn’t go anywhere near them. Ruby seriously stated that he would be thrown in the river because the twoleg would choose her and Socks, and not Tiny. She did nothing to try and help that be stopped! They didn’t even care if they got seperated from him or if Tiny died! So maybe this was more than just bullying.

But being harassed by his siblings isn’t the only thing that turned Tiny into Scourge; that was just barely the beginning. If Scourge’s siblings bullying him was the only thing that made him evil, then I wouldn’t be defending him in this article right now. 😛

So Tiny ran away from home, and wandered into the forest. I’d like to take this moment to mention how much Scourge and Firestar are alike. It’s no surprise they’re half-brothers. They both don’t fit the life of a kittypet, and they both were curious enough to explore the forest. If the ThunderClan patrol Tiny came across offered him a spot in the Clan, I wonder if Scourge would’ve become leader like Firestar! He could’ve been Tinystar or something. But unfortunately, that’s not what happened. Thistleclaw allowed Tigerpaw(star) to attack Tiny, even though he was a defenseless kit! And Tiny was already in a rotten mood. He had recently ran away from the only place he knew to avoid being thrown in the river. So when he was attacked, the terrible memory haunted his thoughts, and followed him to Twolegplace.

When he got there, after a while he gets teased for not being able to get his kittypet collar off. I’m guessing it reminded him of Socks and Ruby, and he just wanted to be rid of it. I can’t blame him. So when the tooth gets stuck in the collar and some cats ask about it, Scourge probably saw it as an opportunity for cats to look up to him. And as the story goes on, he soon becomes very respected by the loners and strays; known to be so tough, he could beat up a dog without touching it! Do any of you blame Scourge for leaving his name, and old life behind him? At his old house, he was bullied, seen as nothing. But at Twolegplace, cats respected him, feared him, and trusted him with their problems. Scourge wanted to show he was more than just a runt. After all those moons of being misunderstood, he had a hunger to make sure every cat gave him proper respect.

I’m not saying that meant it was okay for Scourge to begin killing or separating families. The path he took to prove himself was very dark and blood-soaked. But Scourge was blind to everything else. He just wanted to show he was powerful, and went too far trying to do so. That comes into play when he kills Tigerstar. That was the cat who attacked him, treated him horribly. Scourge just killed him. He did, knowing it was the one thing he craved most: Revenge.

Now, none of you fellow bloggers better follow Scourge’s pawsteps if you feel the need to prove yourself XD. I was just trying to show that Scourge may be evil, but he is also misunderstood. An evil tyrant leader with a rough past. Scourge is one of my favorite characters. Only because of his backstory. It is fascinating in my opinion, because it makes such an interesting debate. What do you think of Scourge now? Thanks for reading! 😉

Similar Posts:

23 Replies to “Analyzing Scourge: Was He Really That Bad? by Sparktooth”

1. Sky
    November 30, 2017 at 12:05 am

Okay, so I kind of skimmed this, but either way….

I’m kinda stubborn, so my opinion hasn’t changed. I don’t feel that much sympathy for Scourge, honestly. IDK why, though…. *prepares for rotten tomatoes*

I think that it’s his own fault for not standing up for himself. Also, he has a heart of ice. He refused his own siblings!! Okay, so they did bully him, but they’re FAMILY.

'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!!

• Prowlclaw
      November 30, 2017 at 1:44 am

Yeah, I mean, I could say the same thing about Brokenstar being bullied by his siblings and being misunderstood. That still doesn’t excuse everything he’s done.

• Sky
        November 30, 2017 at 2:27 am

IKR!! Brokenstar is one of my least favorite characters. HE KILLED KITS!!!!!

'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!!

• All Spark wants for Christmas is a New Front Tooth (Sparktooth :P)
      November 30, 2017 at 1:58 pm

I respect your opinion 🙂 . In this article, I never said his actions were completely justified. I just understand what drove him to do that.

And my sister will tease me, make fun of me, etc at times. But the one thing about Scourge’s siblings that I hated was they didn’t seem to care if he DIED or if they never saw him again. To me that seems like more than just bullying.

Jayfrost
      December 1, 2017 at 1:42 am

Just because someone is family doesn’t mean they should automatically have your loyalty. Ruby and Sock’s treatment of Scourge always felt far crueler to me than the usual banter between siblings. They took pleasure in his fear, and in making him think that their twolegs would drown him for being unwanted. Honestly, Scourge turning them away was one of the most understandable and relatable actions he ever took. It’s not like he killed them, which would’ve been in character for him. He actually let them eat, and then he kicked them out. Yes, they’re family, but they were pretty horrible to him, and there’s nothing bad about cutting toxic people out of your life, family or not.

That said, I feel bad for Scourge being bullied by them, because I do think they were legitimately horrible to him, but he made his own choices in the end, and he became a horrible, murderous tyrant. That was his own choice, and he deserves to be judged for it.

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy

2. November 30, 2017 at 12:15 am

Great article! You have a lot of good points.

But I just want to mention: Eye for eye makes the world blind. That might not be completely true for the Warriors world, but it has some logic and sense to it.

I'm Doing BlogClan Homework

3. Blue Isn't Signed in Oops :P
    November 30, 2017 at 12:21 am

I agree! I feel like he was just an innocent kit that was never taught right from wrong.

4. Blue Lights On Stockings Hanging over Fire
    November 30, 2017 at 12:39 am

‘i must have ice in my blood to do what i’ve just done.’ ~scourge; the rise of scourge

Hawkfrost: iceeeeeee
    Shut up Hawkfrost.
    Hawkfrost: You know you love me =)
    *blushing* Hawkfrost SHUT UP
    Jaysky: Haha Bluefire and Hawkfrost–
    Longtail: Hey, don’t make fun of them.
    Mapleshade: sitting in a tree…
    Jaysky: K-I-S-S-I-N-G
    Mapleshade: first comes love
    Jaysky: then comes marriage
    Mapleshade: then comes a–
    OKAY THAT IS ENOUGH ALL OF YOU
    Hawkfrost: I did nothing.

• Vixen the Fox-like Reindeer (Foxie)
      November 30, 2017 at 1:34 am

Lol!

Great article, Sparktooth! I don’t hate or love Scourge but I do believe he is misunderstood. Nice job! Wow you’re such a fabulous article maker and you crank them out in a flash! I admire your skillz. 😛😉

• All Spark wants for Christmas is a New Front Tooth (Sparktooth :P)
        November 30, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Tysm! You have no idea what that means to someone who wants to be an author when they grow up.

• Vixen the Fox-like Reindeer (Foxie)
          November 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm

😀😮 Cool! I will be first in line to buy your books! 😛 Have you started writing stories/books yet (besides Blogfics and warrior related stuff)?
          What’s your fav genre in books?
          What kind of author will you be (will you write action, mystery, fantasy, all of the above, etc.)??

• All Spark wants for Christmas is a New Front Tooth (Sparktooth :P)
            December 1, 2017 at 12:41 am

😀 My all time favorite genre is fantasy. I’ve always loved the idea of telling epic stories, ever since I was a little kid. It all started with Harry Potter, then Star Wars, then Warriors, etc XD. Plus, my mom is also an award-winning author, so I get some advice from her.

I’ve begun writing the first book in a fantasy series I call ‘The Resistance.’ Based on what I’ve been thinking on where I would like the story to go, there’s going to be 5 books. I have about the first fifty pages in the first book typed up right now, plus some scenes in future books! I never write my books in chronological order. Idk why I just find it easier lol.

• Vixen the Fox-like Reindeer (Foxie)
              December 1, 2017 at 12:46 am

Ahhh awesome!!!! I can’t wait to read it if you post it or if it gets published! XD 😀 What books has your mom written?!

• All Spark wants for Christmas is a New Front Tooth (Sparktooth :P)
                December 1, 2017 at 12:48 pm

XD 😀 Thx again! My mom has a fake author name which is ‘Abbie Williams.’ She writes adult romance books so I haven’t read any of them myself. Her book that she’s most known for and has won an award for is ‘Heart of a Dove.’

Even if my books happen to be published, I probably won’t finish the first one until I’m in my twenties! But who knows, I really enjoy writing it so maybe I can get it done before that. 😛 If you’d also like, I can include a ‘sneak peek’ for the book in another comment. Doesn’t matter to me. 🙂

• November 30, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Lol 😛

Meowy Christmas!

• Maple Leaf Drifting Onto Rudolph’s Nose (Mapledrift)
      November 30, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Cool article Sparktooth !

Ivypool : Why are Mapleshade and Longtail here and Hawkfrost YOU TRIED TO KILL MEEEEEEEE
      Be nice to Hawkfrost Ivypool
      Ivypool : You have a crush on him don’t you
      Pebblewind : Ha ha your deep secret was just told
      Go away you two

5. Bramblefire
    November 30, 2017 at 1:51 am

Alright, here’s ol’ Bramble’s opinion on this. Coming from someone bullied relentlessly, Scourge had a choice in the whole matter but chose the path of violence. Scourge CHOSE to kill a bunch of cats and be a jerk to everyone, the bullying doesn’t justify that. I get that he had a rough childhood too, but so did Crookedstar, in fact, Crookedstar probably had a life that was much worse. However, Crookedstar never went crazy and killed cats for no reason. Scourge is a villain that got what came to him and he deserves no sympathy or justifications. It’s like the whole ‘bad stuff happens to good people’, but Scourge was hardly good. It can’t be forgotten that there was hardly any justification for the murders he committed. Scourge was not just misunderstood. And the whole thing about Scourge trying to be powerful, or showing how strong he was is nothing less than toxic. That’s nothing to sympathize with, he’s literally a murderer that leads a bloodthirsty gang.

• Sky
      November 30, 2017 at 2:29 am

Totally agreed!!! I think that Brokenstar and Scourge CHOSE a path of violence, but Crookedstar chose to prove himself, which was the wiser option in the long run. Scourge was hardly good, and I agree with every word you said.

'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!!

• Blue Christmas Lights
      November 30, 2017 at 2:32 am

I know, there is no way to justify what he did.

But I also wonder this…

Who in his life ever taught him right from wrong? No one. I’m not defending him, I’m just saying if someone doesn’t know right from wrong, they can’t tell the difference.

ReginaXRobin Forever

• Bramblefire
        November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm

From my perspective, one isn’t taught morality. It’s something everyone should have instincts about. It does nothing for a species if the creature is out killing its own kind.

6. November 30, 2017 at 5:54 am

You bring up a good point. However, while Scourge’s backstory is incredibly sad, that doesn’t excuse him from everything he did. He always had a choice to do what he did. He made many other cats’ lives miserable from what he did. Firestar, his own half-brother, had similar experiences with bullies when he was young, and they were both nearly killed by Tigerstar, but Firestar didn’t become a murderous leader of Twolegplace. I know Firestar is a different cat and had the support of Graystripe, Ravenpaw, Bluestar, Yellowfang, etc., but that doesn’t mean he could have easily gone down the same path as Scourge. Scourge’s backstory and littermates didn’t make him murderous. They forced him out onto the streets, yes, but from then on everything he did was his choice and his choice alone. Nothing he did was even remotely okay and his backstory doesn’t excuse a single bit of it. After the Rise of Scourge I see a lot of people giving him sympathy. Tiny deserves sympathy. Scourge doesn’t. He was really that bad.

🌊 Queen of Canon Correcting🌊

7. November 30, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I understand his past and that it doesn’t justify the bad deeds he has done. I respect your opinion Spark. Btw I had an article of a what Iff? On scourge. Gee in that article I should have done something like what if his siblings actually cared about him *sits in thought* 🤔

Meowy Christmas!

8. Splashfall
    December 1, 2017 at 1:49 am

Scourge just wanted to survive and show everyone what he could do .
    His kithood was really sad and his litter mates where so mean to him
    So I kind of feel some pity for him .