Defending Spottedleaf Part Two – Two Lives by Sky

Sky returns with a second part to their defense of Spottedleaf.

Official art by Wayne McLoughlin

Many of you may have seen my previous Spottedleaf article, called “Defending Spottedleaf, by Sky.” Well I’m back with new thoughts and evidence, as well as plans to back up some of my previous points.

Some think of her as a stalker who couldn’t let go. Others think that if she didn’t visit Firestar’s dreams, he’d forget about her. Some say that she was a creepy old hag who sought young cats.

But this isn’t true!

Spottedleaf was a brace, spirited medicine cat with a great connection with StarClan. She received the prophecy about Firestar. Obviously, when Rusty came, she was intruiged, and even more so when Bluestar named him FIREpaw.

Now, imagine that you are the healer of your country and you received a message from the stars about this cat who will save your country, and then a cat comes whom you and your leader both think are the cat of that message.

Obviously, you’re excited, right? Perhaps you would, persay, feel some guardianship towards him?

And that’s how Spottedleaf felt. Slowly, the more she observed his actions and got to know him, she fell in love. And now you’re like, “NO I HATE THIS STOP IT. THIS IS AGAINST THE CODE!!!!” But so are many other couples that you probably ship. And if not, then imagine that you were a healer of the country, unable to love. And the you meet this person. You two fall in love with each other. What do you do? And how would you feel if people said, “Haha that’s against the law I hate you two being together.” I myself wouldn’t care.

Well, Spottedleaf was more loyal to the code than many, if you think about it, instead of jumping on him and becoming mates with him, she held back. She knew that he had a duty to StarClan, as did he. Unlike many cats, who were all go with the flow if love, she held back! That alone shows that she was not a creepy old hag who wanted to jump on younger cats.

And then she DIES. Mastermind Erins had planned this from the start. Spottedleaf was nothing but a great medicine cat who had dreams and saw the vision of Firestar. Cheap drama is an added bonus – Firepaw’s reaction was heartbreaking.

Okay, let’s move on to the most-discussed upon period of her existence.

Her life in StarClan.

Debater number one says that she was a stalker.

I say that it’s such an overused debating point that isn’t true!

Imagine that you were in love with this person. You were about to get engaged when someone kills you.

Many people in the fandom just want Spottedleaf to push away her feelings and live like a normal StarClan cat. It’s sort of funny.

Now, go back into that imaginary state – you are in the afterlife, and you see that your former love is in great danger and such. Do you sit back and take a nap? Or do you help him the only way you can – in dreams?

Seriously, how is trying to help and care stalking?

Debater number two says that she made FireXSand weird.

That’s not her problem if Sandstorm wants to throw a hissy and whiny fight and get on that “pity me” attitude. All Spottedleaf wanted to do was help and guide Firestar, and it isn’t hard to see why she goes into his dreams. Plus, is Firestar not allowed to have two loves? Slate took Turtle Tail a lot better than Sandstorm took Spottedleaf. And Turtle Tail visited Gray Wing’s dreams – perhaps not as frequently, but that’s because there wasn’t as much danger in his life then.

Is Spottedleaf supposed to stop loving Firestar? That’s not really possible for her. Imagine that your were her. Seriously, just try pushing away the feelings and taking a nap while your love faces terrible dangers and threats. And honestly, I think of Spottedleaf as an honest cat, and she was being honest when she told Firestar that she sometimes wishes things were different (in Firestar’s Quest). Wouldn’t you? Like Shadowstar said, “Every cat is driven by either greed or fear.” We are all greedy, just a bit. Why else would the richest buy big, expensive houses and the best cars? Even Spottedleaf, no matter how kind, stil wished that she could be with Firestar. I mean, list even one cat who wasn’t greedy AT ALL. I’m greedy and you’re greedy.

Debater number three wants to know what all my blabber about her not being a stalker means if half of the fandom hates her because Firestar was one-two generations younger than her.

Like I said in my last article…

Brackenfur and Sorreltail were about three years apart. Three. Years. Yeah.

I still love this couple, they were a good, loving couple and not forbidden. But age doesn’t really matter with cats. Seriously, it doesn’t. If you ship BrackenXSorrel and hate Spottedleaf, I recommend that you not use the “she was too old!” excuse.

That’ll wrap it up for this article! You are welcome to comment your opinion below.

Thanks for reading!

Similar Posts:

51 Replies to “Defending Spottedleaf Part Two – Two Lives by Sky”

1. January 9, 2018 at 1:28 am

I’m honestly neutral on Spottedleaf, but these articles are making me change my mind . . .

Great article Sky! It really brings out some strong reasoning!! 😀

Keep sm;)ing

2. Sunnydream
    January 9, 2018 at 1:41 am

Though I don’t ship her and Firestar, I never thought she was a bad cat. I really liked her, actually. I agree with all your points!

3. Cheetahpaw
    January 9, 2018 at 2:01 am

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Not to mention that Spottedleaf helped Firestar by walking in his dreams a lot more than those useless other StarClan cats that just sat around while their Clans were in trouble, not giving what could have been helpful advice.

gimme dem cheetos

4. Sky
    January 9, 2018 at 2:06 am

Okay, so I need to say a few things. I understand that SpottedXFire isn’t developed in the least in the books, but maybe this is because we couldn’t see Spottedleaf’s POV. I’m very neutral on Spotted VS Sand for Firestar ships and the point of this article was not to tell you why SpottedXFire rules.

5. January 9, 2018 at 2:07 am

The two old excuse, what about

*SPOILERS FOR AVoS*
    Thornclaw and Blossomfall???
    These two make Brackenfur and Sorreltail look like nothing
    *END OF SPOILERS*

#reylo

6. Spark Whose Tooth is Cold from the Snow (Sparktooth :P)
    January 9, 2018 at 2:08 am

Totally agree!! Spottedleaf is not a stalker, she cares very much for Firestar and wanted to get in touch with him the only way she could: dreams. She was able to give him help and advice, which I think was meant to make up for all the time she would have spent with him if she had lived. Plus, she also does one last deed for him by sacrificing her life once and for all to save his mate, Sandstorm. Her death was so sad, I couldn’t stop crying.

Many other cats have had more than one love: Graystripe, Tigerstar, Berrynose, Gray Wing, etc. But so many people get mad at Spottedleaf for being Firestar’s first love. She’s just very passionate. If I had been her, I would’ve wanted to let Firestar know I was still with him and watching him. When you look at it in her view, you realize she’s not a stalker.

• Sky
      January 10, 2018 at 12:14 am

Yes!!! Her final death shows how truly loving and caring she was.

Easter pranks!

7. January 9, 2018 at 2:11 am

I dont like Spottedleaf, I don’t hate her. I just think she’s overrated and gets most of her attentions because she’s “pretty”

#reylo

• Bellatrix Lestrange, Ice Queen (Brightberry)
      January 9, 2018 at 11:57 pm

I like her because she’s kind, selfless, and sassy. Her appearance has nothing to do with it

• Sky
      January 10, 2018 at 12:16 am

But how is she overrated? She was one of the most helpful StarClan cats ever and her compassion is what people really love her for.

Easter pranks!

8. January 9, 2018 at 2:30 am

And also, because of her relationship with Thistleclaw, I don’t think she would have noticed how wrong the age difference was.

ReginaXRobin Forever

• Sky
      January 10, 2018 at 12:14 am

But is age difference wrong?

Easter pranks!

Jayfrost
        January 10, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Only when one of the participants is too young to consent.

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy

• Juniperpool/WaterWitch555
          January 10, 2018 at 6:36 pm

^

• January 11, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Yeah. An apprentice and a senior warrior is like a 30 year old dude hitting on a middle-schooler. 😛 But if it was like a 20 year old and a 30 year old it would be fine.

ReginaXRobin Forever

Jayfrost
            January 12, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Exactly. ^^

BlogTeam Administrator, Deputy

• Sky
              January 15, 2018 at 10:36 pm

I’m not a supporter of ThistleXSpotted, in fact, I think it was creepy. But Firestar knew EXACTLY what was going on, and he even continued on when he got older. So yes, it was with his consent. Plus, as far as I can tell with SorrelXBracken, age difference doesn’t matter in warriors as long as its not a senior warrior hitting up on a kit.

9. Feather of an Owl that floats over Skyclan camp (Owlfeather)
    January 9, 2018 at 3:30 am

YAY! i love Spottedleaf! 😀 i completely agree, nice article!

=^..^=

10. Lightningpaw
    January 9, 2018 at 8:24 am

I agree with one or two of your points, but Spottedleaf is so shallow to me I don’t really have an opinion on her. Plus, doesn’t Sandstorm have a right to get mad if she thinks that her mate is cheating on her with a dead cat?

• Sunnydream
      January 9, 2018 at 9:51 pm

I agree that Sandstorm had a right to get mad, though I really do like Spottedleaf.

• Spark Whose Tooth is Cold from the Snow (Sparktooth :P)
        January 11, 2018 at 12:23 am

Agreed, Sunny.

• Bellatrix Lestrange, Ice Queen (Brightberry)
      January 9, 2018 at 11:56 pm

I disagree about Spottedleaf being shallow- a lot of her personality traits were sort of forgotten about in later books. We miss out on a lot of her sass, for one (“Yes, a pity if, after all your valuable training, he dies in his first fight, eh?”) She loved Leafpool and Squirrelflight as if they were her own children, and SACRIFICED HERSELF TO SAVE SANDSTORM. How is that shallow?

• Sky
      January 10, 2018 at 12:15 am

Sure she wasn’t written well that much. Of course Sandstorm has every right to be mad personally but she should understand if she loves and knows Firestar.

Easter pranks!