Old cat

Ravenflight explains how older people warriors can enjoy this wonderful series too!

When did I start feeling like an Elder in the warrior cats fandom? Maybe after seeing all these young warriors and apprentices running around talking about all the latest hype, and anything else pre-teens and young teens talk about. Those of you like me know what I am talking about: when Warrior Cats fans reach their late teens and beyond. For the purposes of this article, I will refer to 16+-year-olds as “elders”.

I began reading Warriors as a young apprentice, around 11 or 12 years of age. Let’s just say more than 5 years have gone by, to say the least about my age. Warriors instantly became my favorite book series, and it still is to this day. Better yet, there seems to be no end in sight to the final installment! I was blessed enough to grow up with this series, anticipating new releases every single year by searching the web for future release dates so that I could write them on my calendar.

As I got older, my energy over roleplaying the Clans and writing silly posts on the official forums went down, but my enthusiasm for new books never did. Year after year, the looks I got for entering Children’s sections of bookstores and libraries got more intense the older I was. But what can I say? I just love the series too much to pretend that I am no longer interested.

I secretly still go on the official forums to browse, but get a little hurt when I read some posts by younger fans that say things along the lines of “why are you (insert “elder” age here) and still reading Warriors?!” or “Adults are on this site? …Creepy!!” It makes me not want to go on that or any other Warriors-related site because I feel ashamed of myself, and wonder why I could never just “grow up.” But, is there anything wrong with loving a series aimed at a younger audience? I was once a part of that younger audience, but time just caused me to get a little older, that’s all!

I grew up with this series, I remember when Warriors AMVs and fan animations were almost non-existent, and I remember constant movie rumors at the start of the 2010’s. I feel like the “Elders” in the Warriors community hide more because of shame or embarrassment than anything else, and I hope this article can make some people feel like they are not alone. Hey, Warriors inspired me to want to be a writer, and it has instilled a love of cats and nature within me, so I am in no way ashamed of myself.

So, what do you readers think? Are you an “elder” and agree with me? Do you have something you’ve been wanting to say for a long time, but felt too ashamed? Or are you a younger fan? What do you think of “older” people being fans of the Warriors series?

77 Replies to “Don’t Put Us in the Elder’s Den: Being an Older Fan of the Warriors Series by Ravenflight”

1. elderclique
    August 25, 2017 at 9:16 am

I got into warriors when I was in maybe fifth grade when I was ~11. Loved the first series, but stopped reading after finishing it, since at that time the later series hadn’t been translated to my native language yet.

So I forget about warriors and move on. After ~4 years I start my high school (our high schools usually lasts for 3 years and kids there are anywhere from 15 to 19. I really dunno how this works in states, so excuse me) and my interest towards this series is miraculously revived, with no apparent reason. I decide to cop the first story arc from iTunes and reread it in english this time around.

I’m in love with warriors again, the first series is just so cute, witty etc etc.. the characters might be a bit two dimensional and very predictable sometimes, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying the books. I’m now 18 and almost done with high school, but my interest towards the series hasn’t dimished yet. I haven’t still gotten into the later series of the franchise, but I’m planning to do just that when I have the time.

2. Claire
    March 5, 2018 at 2:04 pm

I’m a 42 year old fan of the Warriors books….got a ThunderClan t shirt and everything….also got a friend of mine hooked! We are currently working our way through series 2. I discovered Warriors after reading Varjak Paw. I’d love suggestions for any other exciting cat based fiction.

3. Goldenpaw (Goldenfire)
    March 23, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Honestly, I’m in middle school, and I think it’s cool that adults are into the series!

~Galaxypaw

• 🐥Cheetah Hunting for Spark-ly Easter Eggs (Cheetahpaw/spark)🐥
      March 23, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Yeah, it makes me feel happy that I’m a part of something for all ages!

• March 23, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Same!

bramblestar has rabies >:3

• alicat
        May 21, 2018 at 7:04 am

I love cats and I remember reading part of the first book a long time ago then I read some of seekers another one of Erin hunters series now I’m in high school and I think I might try to catch up after watching many animation videos I feel like I should at least finish the series cause I love it!… now if only I can convince my aunt I have not outgrown the series.

• Cherrypaw
      May 5, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I feel the same way. Why can’t adults have a little fun? Fantasy adult books as good as ones aimed at younger audiences are… well… a bit short.

4. Claude
    May 20, 2018 at 10:19 am

I just got into Warriors and I’m 20. I’ve always been curious about it after seeing all the animations and recently I’ve really started liking cats since my boyfriend got one. A friend of mine still has the books from her teenhood and borrowed me the first one, I just wanted to know what all the fuss was about!

So far I really like it! It really touches on some elements I’ve always been into since I was a kid. I recognize it’s written sort of 2-dimensional at times, but at others it’s surprisingly well-written and deep! At the very least it’s a very interesting and fun concept.

I admit I wish I would’ve gotten into it when I was ~14, it would have been much more appropriate then and I can really see myself being part of the fandom if I were younger. But whatever, I still enjoy reading the books and drawing fan art on my own ^^

That being said, I wouldn’t mind a Discord server made just for adult warrior fans, to take away the creepiness factor you’d have if it were just a mix and match of 11 year olds and 30 year olds.

5. Tonya
    September 6, 2018 at 1:04 am

I started reading the series when I was around 14 and in the 8th grade back in 2008. My middle school had an AWESOME selection of the series. It had every single book up to the current series (book 2 of Power of three at the time). The series got me through some very dark times with bullying and a decent home life. The artwork also drew me in. It’s unfortunate that they’ve changed the beautiful covers to these hideous ones (Thet really look like someone overused the blur tool on photoshop).

I read every single book and bought all of the mangas, which I wish they would produce more of those books and not just the ones in the back of the book. I continued reading the books through high school and through college. I look very youthful for my age so I haven’t experienced weird looks.

I am going on 25 in a few weeks. Just bought Crowfeather’s trial. He was a character I disliked but now after reading 20 pages he’s quite interesting. I also started reading Bravelands which are very well written. I guess if I turn 30 and the books continue to come out…I’ll continue reading them. I’m a bit worried that this next Warrior series may be the last (felt that way about the Omen of the stars) but it’s good to know that I have 2-3 more years of Warriors (and Bravelands) to get through.

6. Sean
    September 11, 2018 at 2:49 am

I read the first series when I was 12 years old. I’m 26 now and still follow the new books. It’s okay as long as you get into it when you’re young. But the series is well written and captivating so I think anyone can read it.

7. Mosswhisker
    October 14, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I started reading the books when I was 19 years old. I’m 30 now and i still love the books! When I met one of the authors back in 2008, I felt like Adam Sandler in Billy Madison. It sucks cuz I cant find anyone my age or even around my age who wants to talk about the books, or play the adventure game (even the more adult version with dice and strategy and more Dungeons and Dragons rules)

But whenever I try to find older fans, they consider “older fans” as 18 or 19 or even early 20s and that gets discouraging. I wish I could find people in their 30s or even late 20s who like the books.