Who Fathered Ashfur and Ferncloud? by Goldenpaw

Ashfur-warrior-cats-forever-30356611-715-1024Goldenpaw attempts to track down Ashfur and Ferncloud’s ancestry

Hi, everybody! Goldenpaw here with my second article! Today we will be discussing . . . **drumroll** . . . THE DAD OF ASHFUR AND FERNCLOUD. Now, I know many people think that their father is Whitestorm, but _as far as I know_, that hasn’t actually been confirmed by the Erins. Right, Kate?

So. I shall list all the possibilities and discuss each of them. The main candidates are the six live, male, ThunderClan warriors at the time: Longtail, Lionheart, Darkstripe, Whitestorm, Runningwind and Tigerclaw. I’ll go in the approximate order of least likely to most likely, so I’ll start with Longtail.

Longtail: He’s over 3 years younger than Brindleface, and he’s her half-brother. Enough said, he’s OUT.

Lionheart: He had kits with Frostfur just a couple of moons before the birth of Ferncloud and Ashfur; he’s also a golden cat, which just doesn’t fit with the pelt colours of Brindleface’s kits. Lionheart is also OUT.

Darkstripe: There are a few reasons why he could be the father, and one main reason why he couldn’t. He’s dark gray, similar to Ferncloud and Ashfur; he’s not related to Brindleface; he’s younger than her, but not extremely so—a year, maybe? HOWEVER, there’s his character to think about. What cat could fall in love with a cat like Darkstripe? He was clearly malicious and evil from the very beginning, and I just can’t see how Brindleface—or any cat, for that matter—could have had kits with him. I’m not going to completely rule him out yet, but it’s quite unlikely that he’s the father.

Whitestorm: Although many people think he is the father of Ferncloud and Ashfur, there are a couple of reasons why he probably isn’t. First of all, consider this: he also fathered Willowpelt’s kits, who were born only about eight moons after Ferncloud and Ashfur. Although there’s a chance that he got Brindleface pregnant, broke up with her, and got together with Willowpelt, he just doesn’t seem like the type of cat who would do that—he seems like a cat who would stay with one mate his whole life. Secondly, Whitestorm is a white cat, and notice that there is not _one_ speck of white on either Ferncloud or Ashfur. It’s not impossible that he’s the father, but it’s not very likely, either. I’m not totally sure.

Runningwind: I don’t really know what to say here. I can’t come up with a good reason why he would be the father, but I can’t come up with a good reason why he wouldn’t be, either—there’s no indication either way. It’s a possibility that he’s the father, but I think it’s rather unlikely, as you never see _any_ interaction between him and Brindleface. On the other hand, you could say that about Darkstripe as well, and even Tigerclaw and Whitestorm rarely speak to Brindleface or her kits. I’m really not sure about him.

Tigerclaw: This is another interesting option. He’s a touch older than Brindleface but not extremely so; he’s not related to her; he’s dark brown, and brown is recessive to black, so the genetics work; he seemed, if not kind, at least mature and responsible in the beginning; and although he fathered Goldenflower’s kits (and Sasha’s, later on), he seems like the sort of cat who could have multiple mates, unlike Whitestorm. I think Tigerclaw is the most likely candidate for the father of Ferncloud and Ashfur.

So Longtail and Lionheart are definitely out, Darkstripe is probably out, I’m not sure about Whitestorm and Runningwind, and Tigerclaw is definitely not out. Tigerclaw is the most likely option, but something tells me that he’s not the father; I’m not sure what it is. Maybe it’s that he’s so evil later on. Maybe it’s that he had kits with Goldenflower less than a year later. Maybe it’s just that they don’t have chemistry, although I don’t really know enough about Brindleface’s character to be able to judge that. Hmm. Opinions?

Signing off,

Goldenpaw. :3

(Also, Kate, if their father has actually been confirmed, could you please tell me? Thanks in advance.)

Kate: not confirmed

Fan Articles

Notify of
Cookiemouth
Cookiemouth
August 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Well Vicky allready statet that Whitestorm is the father of Brindleface’s kits so there is not really something left to discuss °-°

Pantherpaw
Pantherpaw
August 22, 2016 8:21 pm
Reply to  Cookiemouth

Wait when? Wouldn’t that make Brindleface have like, three different mates?

Leopardblaze
Leopardblaze
August 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Well, it’s been confirmed that Redtail and Brindleface are Sandstorm’s parents, is it that crazy to think that Redtail could possibly be Ashfur and Ferncloud’s parents as well? Ashkit and Fernkit are born in Into the Wild, and Redtail dies in the first chapter. Since the length of pregnancy for a cat would be about a moon, so long as Redtail is alive within a moon of their birth, him fathering Ashkit and Fernkit might not be that crazy of a theory. But then again, Ashfur and Ferncloud are both gray cats, and Redtail doesn’t have a speck of gray on his body. That said again, genetics don’t matter as much in the Warriors series, with Redtail being the prime example, tortoiseshell cats are 99% female, and who knows how Leafpool was created from two ginger cats. My money’s on Redtail, although my second choice would be Runningwind.

Shadowpaw (Shadowdapple)
Shadowpaw (Shadowdapple)
August 26, 2016 8:11 pm
Reply to  Leopardblaze

Although Nutmeg is a brown and white tabby and she was Firestars mother.

Willowstreak
Willowstreak
August 28, 2016 9:40 am

nutmeg wasn’t firestars mother.
she looked after them because firestar’s mother left

Icy (Iceflower)
Icy (Iceflower)
August 28, 2016 4:35 pm
Reply to  Willowstreak

Nutmeg is his mother, according to the Wikia ^^

Jayfrost
Jayfrost
August 28, 2016 5:28 pm
Reply to  Willowstreak

No, she was definitely his mother… It was confirmed in the Warriors app that Firestar and Princess’s mother was a brown tabby she-cat named Nutmeg.

BlogTeam Administrator

Goldenpaw
Goldenpaw
September 2, 2016 4:51 pm
Reply to  Leopardblaze

Yes, Redtail is a possibility. Correction: cats are pregnant for about 2.5 moons, not one moon. 😛 If Redtail got Brindleface pregnant just before he died, it could work out. And Redtail is a tortoiseshell, meaning part of his fur is black or brown. He could have passed this gene on to his kits, and since gray is just a lighter shade of black, it works. Sort of. Then again, the Warriors series really doesn’t pay attention to genetics. 😛

Flashtail
Flashtail
September 23, 2016 1:26 am
Reply to  Goldenpaw

A male tortoiseshell is usually infertile. So just the fact that Redtail has any kits shows that Warriors doesn’t pay attention to genetics… 🙂

Iceheart who loves Jacob Frye 😻
Iceheart who loves Jacob Frye 😻
September 23, 2016 2:08 am
Reply to  Flashtail

Perhaps they live in a world where cat’s genetics are drastically changed along with other animals?

Dappleshine
Dappleshine
August 12, 2020 10:14 am
Reply to  Goldenpaw

Well, I’m guessing that Firestar mostly got Jake’s genetics and a bit of Nutmeg in his personality. Also, sometimes genetics are in a person (cat in this case) but they don’t necessarily show. Then the genetics that don’t show are passed on to their children where it actually does show. Sorry if this sound complicated.

Hollyflight
Hollyflight
September 1, 2016 8:38 pm

hmmm this is a very big question i think runningwind is there father though but still like you said theres no good proof for him to be or not to be their father

Random Oat That Falls Off Your Bread On Thanksgiving (Oatpaw)
Random Oat That Falls Off Your Bread On Thanksgiving (Oatpaw)
November 9, 2016 2:08 am

It was reveled a few months ago. It was confirmed the Whitestorm was the father of Ashfur and Ferncloud, along with Tulipkit and Elderkit.

Jayfrost
Jayfrost
March 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Su confirmed on Vicky’s Facebook that Whitestorm is the father of Brindleface’s kits: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154780148192454&id=29566467453

Personally, I don’t think all of the pairings in Warriors are out of romantic love – plenty of them are, but I think there are some that are just because the she-cat wanted to raise kits, and they were friends with the tom, and the tom was willing to help the she-cat have the kits she wanted. Or maybe the other way around at times. ^^ I think Whitestorm/Brindleface was one of these pairings ,as well as some of the other early ones (though I do personally like to think that Willowpelt and Whitestorm were in love).

That’s my view of Goldenflower and Tigerclaw as well, which I think is why we never see her particularly upset, any more than any of her Clanmates, about TIgerclaw’s betrayal outside of what it means for her kits. I think she wanted kits, and Tigerclaw was a very strong and respected tom, and she wanted that for her kits’ father. In turn, I think he probably admired her skills as a warrior and a hunter, and didn’t mind the thought of her being the she-cat to mother his kits. I do think he legitimately fell in love with Sasha, though – not that it stopped him from being evil, or made up for anything he did. 😛

BlogTeam Administrator

Sageflower (currently Sagekit)
Sageflower (currently Sagekit)
March 24, 2017 1:39 am
Reply to  Jayfrost

I think this article was very interesting, but there’s one problem, isn’t Ashfur a gray and white speckled cat, or do I have that wrong?

sageflower out :)

Jayfrost
Jayfrost
March 24, 2017 7:13 pm

According to the Warriors Wiki, he is a pale gray tom with darker flecks and dark blue eyes. Nothing about white fur mentioned.

BlogTeam Administrator

I’ll get one soon, okay?
I’ll get one soon, okay?
October 8, 2018 3:51 am
Reply to  Jayfrost

Warriors wiki isn’t the most reliable source, but… I guess it doesn’t really matter..

Duakheart
Duakheart
November 30, 2017 12:39 am
Reply to  Jayfrost

Moonkitti explains very well in a video of hers how everyone should take that information with a grain of salt. After all, Su isn’t really one of the Erin’s.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNjcnuE5fU

Jayfrost
Jayfrost
December 1, 2017 1:45 am
Reply to  Duakheart

Yeah, I’m aware that Su isn’t an Erin, and that her information has been deemed non-canon. But I’m sick of how rude everyone was about Su. -_-

BlogTeam Administrator

juni
juni
December 1, 2017 2:17 am
Reply to  Jayfrost

Honestly, some people needed to c h i l l and should have respected the fact that Su was doing the missing cats thing, even if they didn’t like it.

look at you, strawberry blonde

Jayfrost
Jayfrost
December 1, 2017 3:07 am
Reply to  juni

Agreed. I get not liking some of the things she came up with, that’s going to be true of any creative decision, but people were so unnecessarily rude to her.

BlogTeam Administrator

Sophia
Sophia
May 1, 2019 11:38 pm
Reply to  Jayfrost

The erins said that tigerclaw never loved Sasha and that it was more of a “Spiderleg and Daisy” relationship. So I guess the thought is wrong…

Ebonypaw (Ebonygaze)
Ebonypaw (Ebonygaze)
July 23, 2017 2:53 am

Redtail could be a possible canidate. He died while Brindleface was still in the nursery, and he already fathered Sandstorm.

WHO NEEDS A MAP?

Twilightpaw
Twilightpaw
December 4, 2018 11:21 pm

Wow!! You were right!

Stormberry
Stormberry
September 14, 2017 3:25 am

It is confirmed by the Erin’s, REDTAIL is the father!

Darby
Darby
October 20, 2017 8:53 am
Reply to  Stormberry

Did redtail die while brindlefaces pregnancy?

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
December 1, 2017 2:12 am
Reply to  Stormberry

So that means that Sandstorm, Ferncloud, and Ashfur ARE true siblings and not just half siblings! 😀 I see Sandstorm as a sassy, nice, awesome older sister to them. 😊

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

juni
juni
December 1, 2017 2:35 am

The father of Ashfur and Ferncloud is still not confirmed.

look at you, strawberry blonde

Lilybrook
Lilybrook
January 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Ashfur was Squirrelflight’s uncle?!

God
God
April 3, 2018 12:38 am
Reply to  Lilybrook

Yeah,,,,,,,, it’s kinda messed up lol

juni
juni
December 1, 2017 2:18 am
Reply to  Stormberry

The warriors wikia says that their father is unknown.

look at you, strawberry blonde

Flamefrost
Flamefrost
December 5, 2017 4:03 am
Reply to  juni

I’m pretty sure Redtail. Redtail and Brindleface had a true relationship, like Firestar and Sandstorm.

God
God
April 3, 2018 12:34 am

(This is long oops buT here is my opinion :DDDD)
Darkstripe: Tbh i believe Darkstripe is the father of Ferncloud and Ashfur. Possibly a reason why there was no interaction between Darkstripe and Brindleface would be that they broke up when Brindleface took Cloudkit(Tail) (Just a thought maybe they broke up after chapter 23 of Fire and Ice, after when Brindleface had agreed to take in Cloudkit) in as being mentored by Tigerstar, Tigerstars hatred of kittypets (due to his father Pinestar) was passed down to Darkstripe??????And Cloudkit was a kitty pet.
Plus Darkstripe was liked by some cats until he attempted to murder his half sister. Maybe his personality only showed changed after Firestar joined or when Tigerstar was exiled. Or he only showed the MeAn side presented in the books towards Firestar and Kittypets as when Fireheart brought in Cloudkit to Thunderclan, Darkstripe is seen as saying: ”loyalty?” Darkstripes yowl rang across the clearing “And yet you bring a kittypet here?” (Page 223 of Fire and Ice) he is also seen challenging Graystripe, who is defending Fireheart: “Yeah Graystripe! How do you know Fireheart has blood worthy of ThunderClan ? Did you taste it last night when you tried to take a chunk out of his leg?” (Page 224 of Fire and Ice) However when talking to Willowpelt (his mother lol) and Whitestorm when returning from a patrol: “Hopefully they’ll have the same good sense as Riverclan and stay away” meowed Darkstripe “After last night they must know we’ll be looking out for them”. In my eyes, this is a completely different tone to how he spoke to Fireheart/Cloudkit so the “malicious and evil” way you spoke of Darkstripes attitude was only present towards and speaking of Fireheart as he seen talking completely different to Whitestorm when returning from a patrol.
As for Darkstripe mentoring his possible daughter, since there was no interaction between Darkstripe and Brindleface as they had broken up, Firestar didn’t know that Darkstripe was the father of Ferncloud and Ashfur.

Tigerstar: As for Tigerstar being the father, I myself personally rule him out. As it has been hinted at that Goldenflower was his true love and it wouldn’t make sense for Tigerstar to kill Brindleface if he fathered her kits.

Whitestorm: However !! I agree with your point that Whitestorm does not seem the type of cat to have a mate then leave them for another mate.

Redtail: As for Redtail, I believe he wasn’t the father of Ferncloud and Ashfur simply because (this is based off assumptions and bad maths oops) it wouldn’t make sense for Brindleface to be expecting kits while nursing Sandkit. If we go off the assumption that Dustpaw and Sandpaw are about 7 moons old in Into the Wild, keep that in mind. A cats pregnancy round about takes 2 months and 1 moon = 1 month, so it takes 2 moons for a she cats pregnancy. Now then, it is hinted at in Tallstars revenge that queens, once their kit has become an apprentice, they rest in the nursery to regain their strength. So it wouldn’t make sense for Brindleface to get pregnant with Redtails kits again. As 1) going back one moon (Sandpaw = 6 moons) Brindleface would be in the “Resting period” as her kit had just been apprenticed, and there wouldn’t be a chance for Redtail and Brindleface to sneak out and do ‘The dance with no pants ;)))’ As Brindleface would possibly not be strong enough to leave camp as she would have had to pump milk which would have tired her out. And obviously she wouldn’t have been able to get pregnant when Sandpaw was 7 moons old as Redtail is ded rip. Now then before ny’all come at me saying ‘Willowpelt is a warrior in Into the wild >:O’ Every pregnancy is different, some mothers are able to recover quicker than others, plus Graypaw wasn’t Willowpelts first litter, (Her first being diRTStrIPE) and im sure you can piece the rest up from there.

Lionheart: I think this ones just obvious, as you said, neither Ferncloud or Ashfur have any features linking their father to be Lionheart plus Frostfur is Brindlefaces sister, so um I think it’s obvious.

Runningwind: As for Runningwind there isn’t enough evidence linking him to being the father

YikeS this is long oops

Acrewing
Acrewing
September 28, 2018 2:04 am

I think Redtail should be the father

Mistpaw (Mistcloud)
Mistpaw (Mistcloud)
October 19, 2018 1:00 am

I think it was RedTail that fathered Ashfur and FernCloud because didn´t BlueStar or someone else mention that Brindleface was extremely devastated after RedTail´s death?

Dappleshine
Dappleshine
August 12, 2020 10:19 am

Well, they already had Sandstorm and were mates, so it wouldn’t really make that much of a difference to how Brindleface reacted.

𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 (𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪) 𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝔽𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕤 𝔸𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕎𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝔹𝕣𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝔸𝕦𝕥𝕦𝕞𝕟 𝕃𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕤
𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 (𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪) 𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝔽𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕤 𝔸𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕎𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝔹𝕣𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝔸𝕦𝕥𝕦𝕞𝕟 𝕃𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕤
December 4, 2018 9:00 pm

Yep. It’s gotta be Redtail. It makes sense. Toms like him can’t usually produce kits, so practically it makes sense. He may have had no kits tha5t look like him, but brindle face could have given them their colors.

ɪ ᴀᴍ ɴᴏᴡ ʟɪʟʏ, ɴᴏᴛ ꜱᴘᴏᴛꜱʏ!

Wolfheart857
Wolfheart857
January 9, 2019 4:19 am

I think that Redtail is the father, and the math does add up. Picture it; Brindleface and Redtail produce Sandkit. Six moons later, she becomes Sandpaw. About five or six moons later, Rusty joins and Brindleface is pregnant again. Then Redtail dies. They already had a kit, it makes sense that it’s possible for them to have another litter, and for the kits to take after Brindleface since red is recessive in cats, especially males. Though, it doesn’t say anything about Brindleface being sad about Redtail’s death, but I can imagine her laying next to Bluestar during the vigil.

Diamondwolf88
Diamondwolf88
February 24, 2019 1:25 am

If Redtail is the dad wouldn’t his colour markings be mentioned on Ferncloud and Ashfur??

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch