Discussing the Cats of the Dark Forest; by Sunscorch

Get ready for today’s article curator, Sunscorch, to deliver you an in depth discussion on the cats of the Darrrrrrk Forest.

Hey everyone! Sunscorch here, and I’m going to give you a long lecture about the cats of the Dark Forest! (Or, if you prefer, just a discussion…)

1, Brokenstar:

First off, I think Brokenstar is a lot more complex than just simply “evil”. He was influenced as a kit by Lizardstripe, who gave him little affection and tried to make him feel unwanted and unloved. Lizardstripe was also a rather tough she-cat, and that was where he got his ruthlessness and fierceness. Yellowfang admitted that it was her mistake that she had not given him enough love and care, and Brokenstar really wasn’t that bad as a kit. He was also too reckless and eager to prove himself, because his denmates Tanglekit/burr, Deerkit/foot, and Runningkit/nose teased him about no one knowing who his mother was. They often excluded him in games, just for that reason. I think he could’ve become a great leader if he had been given care as a kit.

2, Tigerstar:

Tigerstar, like Brokenstar, had an influence: Thistleclaw. Since Thistleclaw was his mentor, he probably taught him to be ruthless and to love battle. He does have a soft spot, as he was kind to Sasha when she met him. Though Tigerstar is in the Dark Forest, he truly believes that he is doing the right thing and just like any other cat. StarClan chose him to be leader of ShadowClan because they thought that he was a worthy leader and that he was destined to lead ShadowClan. For those who argue, I shall tell you that StarClan cannot do everything.

maxresdefault-2

3, Mapleshade:

Since a lot of people have read Mapleshade’s Vengeance, many of you also understand Mapleshade. I’d probably do the same thing if that happened to me, and I have a lot of sympathy for her. Appledusk loved her, but he loved his position in RiverClan more. Reedshine was being selfish and didn’t care about Mapleshade, she only wanted to get rid of her so Appledusk could be her mate. Oakstar was also selfish, holding grudges against her for something that Appledusk did, not her. Same with Frecklewish. A lot of other cats went again the warrior code and had kits with a cat from another Clan, and they didn’t get punished (*cough* Graystripe and Silverstream, Crowfeather and Leafpool, Fallowtail and Reedfeather, Bluestar and Oakheart, *cough*). Her kits didn’t deserve to die, neither are they “half-Clan creatures”. I’m talking to you, Frecklewish!

4, Thistleclaw:

I’m not sure about Thistleclaw. It seemed that being evil was just in his personality, though I think he is more complex than that. It’d be great if a novella was written about him. He did have a hint of decency though, as he was really nice to Snowfur and Whitestorm (although he was less warm to his sister-in-law).

5, Hawkfrost:

Hawkfrost was mostly just ambitious, but his father Tigerstar swayed him and caused him to go too far, to point where he deliberately got rid of Stormfur to be deputy. He just wanted to be leader, kind of like Oakheart, though Oakheart had a better personality. Maybe he could’ve been different, and maybe not. Like Thistleclaw, I’d like to see a novella written about him.

And yeah, that’s about it! I know I didn’t cover all of the Dark Forest cats, but I did the main ones. Let me know what you think in the comments!

Fan Articles

Emberdawn
Emberdawn
August 31, 2016 1:45 am

Nice article, Sunscorch!

Fernrustle
Fernrustle
August 31, 2016 3:04 am

Interesting article, Sunscorch!
I haven’t really read Mapleshade’s Vengeance or any of the novellas like that, so I can’t really offer my opinion. But the arguments you made for Brokenstar and Tigerstar seem logical enough. It may be true that your past influences the rest of your life!

Winterpaw
Winterpaw
August 31, 2016 7:19 am

Aaaaaaaa I love Thistleclaw

Icestorm
Icestorm
September 1, 2016 7:14 pm

I’ve always forgiven Thistleclaw and Hawkfrost, mostly because Thistle wasn’t that bad to me, and I love Hawky <3.

Great article!

Hollyflight
Hollyflight
September 1, 2016 8:32 pm

villains arent born evil theyre made evil

Hollyflight
Hollyflight
September 2, 2016 1:06 am

good articlal

Prowlclaw
Prowlclaw
September 2, 2016 8:04 am

Tigerstar was very devoted to his task, to become the leader of the forest. He could have had a nice life with goldenflower and his kits! But instead he ran away from Thunderclan and got closer to the dark forest each passing day. One moment that also made me believe he was not backing down easily, was when he was the leader of Shadowclan. He had everything he could have ever ask for! He repaid the dept to Shadowclan and he even became their leader. He could’ve convinced his family to come with him to Shadowclan, but instead, he wanted greater power. He risked everything, he even asked Scourge to help him, which would be endangering Tigerstar and his family! And after death, Tigerstar still wants power. Tigerstar manipulates his own son, Hawkfrost, into do his dirty work for him! That is quite a lot of sacrifice Tigerstar had to make to secure his name in cat history as we know it.

Frognose
Frognose
September 2, 2016 8:02 pm

Honestly, I don’t think Mapleshade or Thistleclaw should even be in the Dark Forest. Mapleshade literally was just trying to keep her offspring alive, and in the end psychosis and desperation and grief piled up. How can you send a cat into the Dark Forest when they weren’t in their right mind? I doubt two-moon-old kits, who were barely out of the nursery, would tell someone to kill another cat – especially their adored father! She should’ve been ‘cleansed’ of what was paining her mind, and judged as the cat inside her, not the cat afflicted by hallucinations she can’t control.
As for Thistleclaw, it’s the same story. He was traumatized by the abrupt death of his mate and the hypocritical hatred Bluefur showered on him. He felt pressured to prove he could be a good mate, a good father – and all that was shoved aside when Snowfur died. Bluefur and Goosefeather were villainizing him, Snowkit was now 50% orphaned, he still has to do his Warrior duties… it’s horrid for him. He taught Tigerpaw to be ruthless because he most likely believed he’d been too soft his whole life. He may have been thinking, “If I had been tougher – if I had told Snowfur to stay in the nursery, with authority – would she still be alive?”
It’s not their fault their worlds took a wrong turn. Mapleshade should’ve been allowed happiness with her kits, and Thistleclaw should’ve been able to see his mate and eventually his child in happiness.

Icepelt
Icepelt
September 3, 2016 11:01 am

I think if Tigerstar have been waiting to become leader he would be liked by more people. Maybe he’d been a really awesome leader if he had done this. About Brokenstar I don’t really know if he would have changed when yellowfang had given him more love. Maybe it would have worked that she said she was his mother, but it could be that he has a mother that isnt allowed to have kits…

Birchfoot
Birchfoot
September 6, 2016 11:15 pm

Interesting article!

I think Mapleshade should be in the Dark Forest because even though her kits didn’t deserve to be exiled and she was heartbroken that doesn’t excuse her actions. She was happy to take out her revenge on everyone, and she seems very happy to be in the Dark Forest.

I also want a book about Thistleclaw since he’s one of my favourite villains!

Sundance
Sundance
September 6, 2016 11:22 pm

Why was Thistleclaw sent to the Dark Forest? (I haven’t read Bluestar’s Prophecy in forever!) I don’t remember him doing anything BAD-BAD, though. 😛 I mean, being super ambitious doesn’t = evil. I know that thing happened with Scourge, which was horrible, but it too doesn’t add up to full on villain. (I mean, remember when ShadowClan cats left (Berrynose?) or whoever in the fox traps. Jerks, but not much more.) Did he do something really terrible I’m forgetting? Or! Oh! Was he training in the Dark Forest while alive?

Windmist/ Moon
Windmist/ Moon
September 18, 2016 5:45 am

I think that there should be an in-between place for cats not good enough for StarClan but not evil enough for the Dark Forest, like Thistleclaw, Mapleshade, and Ashfur (those were only examples, I’m not saying that they would be the only cats in there).

Ice of the broken's heart (Iceheart)
Ice of the broken's heart (Iceheart)
October 11, 2016 1:17 am

Hmmm, interesting article!

Thistleclaw’s novella, I could totally see it. We’ll call it, Thistleclaw’s Darkness.

• EchoClaw