Warriors Most Hated Cats: Were They Really That Bad? by Fallowsong

Fallowsong shares their thoughts on unpopular cats.

Artwork by KsandraTheFennec

As with all book series’, there will always be some cats that a large portion of the fandom hates. I’m going to take a look back into the series to review these much-hated characters and ask: were they really that bad?

1. Ashfur
People get very annoyed by the ‘he just loved too much’ excuse for Ashfur’s actions. This is understandable, and a part of me agrees, but I don’t believe that Ashfur was evil. Claiming you would kill 3 cats is very different to actually killing 3 cats. Would Ashfur have murdered Jay, Lion and Holly if Squirrelflight never revealed her secret? We will never know, so we may as well give him the benefit of the doubt. It’s also clear that Ashfur regretted his actions, or he wouldn’t be in StarClan.

2. Squirrelflight and Leafpool
I’ve put these two together for obvious reasons. I’ll focus on Leafpool first. People dislike her because she broke the warrior code and then hid it. However, cats like Yellowfang, Bluestar and Greystripe committed similar crimes, yet these characters are generally beloved by the fandom. Of course Leafpool broke two codes, the medicine cat code as well as the warriors one, but as Firestar aptly put, she and her sister had already been punished enough. Squirrelflight lost her mate, Leafpool lost her position, and they both lost the respect of every other Clan cat. Their lives were hellish for many moons until after the Great Battle when they were forgiven. Let’s cut these guys a break.

3. Hollyleaf
Ok, this is the last basic one. I agree that Hollyleaf was a bit annoying when she was like “warrior code this, warrior code that” but I don’t think that’s enough to hate her. Then there’s the whole Ashfur issue. She murders him to keep him quiet and then tells all the Clans anyway? Yeah, not so smart, Holly. But I want to point out that she regretted her actions deeply and didn’t actually think she was worthy of going to StarClan. Plus, Ashfur seems to have forgiven her over this (probably sees that he kind of brought it upon himself), and seeing as he was the one who died, he should be the judge. This fight is pretty old anyway, like the ones above, so let’s just accept that Hollyleaf went to StarClan and that’s that.

4. Ferncloud
What is people’s problem with Ferncloud? As far as I can tell, it’s about her staying the nursery from the time she had her first litter. But as many people don’t realise, this doesn’t mean she didn’t go hunting and didn’t fight in some battles. Besides, at some points she did go to the warriors den for short amounts of time. Her job was valued in the Clan and she died saving Brightheart.

That’s all! Thanks for reading!

Fan Articles

Notify of
Owlheart
Owlheart
May 19, 2017 1:13 am

I love Hollyleaf and Ferncloud. I don’t like Leafpool because I hate LeafXCrow and thought it was pointless.

Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
May 20, 2017 8:47 am
Reply to  Owlheart

Nooooooo I heart LeafxCrow!

Click the name, join the Clan!

May 25, 2020 7:31 pm

I ship CrowXFeather over CrowXLeaf

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
June 29, 2017 6:53 am
Reply to  Owlheart

Yaas!!!! Hollyleaf forever, love her lots!!! And same (agree with Owlheart) LeafxCrow isn’t my fav though they did create two of the Power of Three. But still……
(I’m new and name is Foxtail!

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

Ravenstride
Ravenstride
March 31, 2020 11:02 am

Hollyleaf is my absolute favorite cat in all of Warriors! And yeah, I don’t like LeafxCrow. But Mothpool, perfection.

Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
May 20, 2017 8:49 am

Great article Fallowsong! (I love your name btw). I totally agree with you as I love Ferncloud, and Leafpool, and like Hollyleaf, Squirrelflight and Ashfur.

Click the name, join the Clan!

Goldenpetal
Goldenpetal
June 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Wait what about Daisy and Millie? Am I the only one who thinks they are over dramatic?

Diamondpaw
Diamondpaw
July 1, 2017 1:42 pm
Reply to  Goldenpetal

Millie used to be my favorite character

Echobreeze
Echobreeze
August 3, 2017 2:16 am

I agree with Hollyleaf, Ferncloud, And Leafpool and Squirrelflight. Ashfur? I would’ve put him on here, but he would’ve killed Holly, Lion and Jay. Mostly Holly because I love her to bits. Bye! <333

Echobreeze

Ravenkit (is eating St.Patricks day gold coin chocolate)
Ravenkit (is eating St.Patricks day gold coin chocolate)
March 5, 2018 3:50 pm

(Ravenkit acts confused)
Leafpool is hated?
I think she’s awesome!

Ivydapple
Ivydapple
February 5, 2020 11:50 pm

I don’t hate any of these cats. Holly might be a bit dodgy, but apart from that, I quite like these cats. Therefore I also like clear sky, rainflower and palebird. I have a thing for bad parents in warriors!

🐈

Night-tail
Night-tail
March 14, 2020 1:30 am

Ashfur trying to kill three cats is really not that different from killing them. I know, we don’t know if he’d actually do it, but he acted way out of proportion. If he gets to go to starclan, why can’t Mapleshade? people ask. It’s simple. Apparently, Mapleshade never regretted her actions and is evil through and through. (But this is a terrible example because she might have actually been getting in proportion, three kits have died and she killed three cats to avenge them) I hate to say this to Ashfur haters, but there has to be a reason he’s in Starclan. I think he’s going to redeem himself for all the unspeakable crimes he almost did in this new series.

Night-tail

May 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Ashfur killed Firestar with a fox trap

Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
May 25, 2020 7:19 pm
Reply to  Silentstep

I thought that was Hawkfrost and/or Brambleclaw 😛

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

May 25, 2020 7:25 pm

Ashfur helped set up the trap, and Brambleclaw didn’t know anything about it

Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
May 25, 2020 7:35 pm
Reply to  Silentstep

It’s been years since I read the new prophecy 😛 Whoops 😛

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

🎃 Eaglefright! (Aquilaaaaaaaaaahhhh with a Halloween name) 👻
🎃 Eaglefright! (Aquilaaaaaaaaaahhhh with a Halloween name) 👻
May 25, 2020 7:41 pm
Reply to  Silentstep

I could have sworn Ashfur was just mooning over Squirrelflight whilst Hawkfrost set the trap and Brambleclaw helped him without knowing it was a trap😛

Bad Wolf!

Goldenfawn
Goldenfawn
May 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Keep in mind that it has also been a few years since I read it, but I believe Ashfur led Brambleclaw to the trap after helping Hawkfrost set it up to frame him and/or test his loyalty.

🏳️‍🌈

May 25, 2020 7:24 pm

I hate Firestar because of all the rules he ignored as a leader, warrior, apprentice, and even as Rusty(though i was kind of glad he attacked Longtail lol)
Firestar made Leafpool a medicine cat again just because she was his daughter, and refused to follow the tradition when Graystripe was captured by the Twolegs, and was a biased leader.
I think Tigerstar, Brokenstar, and Mapleshade are misunderstood and not really that evil, and Fog, Dodge, Sol, and Breezepelt are the most underrated villains.

May 25, 2020 7:28 pm
Reply to  Silentstep

I also hate Firestar for killing Scourge

May 25, 2020 7:35 pm

I think Millie is better than Silverstream because there’s less of the “breaking the code” and stuff. Graystripe and Silverstream never even THOUGHT about what could happen, and their “build up” is unrealistic. Silverstream simply gets Graystripe out of a river, and they start illegally seeing each other. Millie was much more realistic about it. Graystripe and Millie went on a long journey for many moons, and worked together for a long time. Honestly, I was GLAD when Silverstream died.
Slave I Remain

• Forest Wolf by Flamekit
  • Pink Rainforest Hummingbird by Flamekit
  • Mountain Bear by Flamekit
  • Ocean Sea Turtle by Flamekit
  • Nika:Magical Panther
  • Alderheart by Whitepaw
  • Kestrelfeather
  • goldenflower and tawnykit:pelt by Turtlepelt