Defending Dowewing: Mary-Sue or Misunderstood? by Silvertail

Silvertail discusses the character of Dovewing.

Artwork by Wayne McLoughlin

Hey guys, Silvertail here with my second article! Yeah! Sparkles! Glitter! Excitement, oh yes! So, if you didn’t know, I LOVE Dovewing. Yeah, I can sense your annoyance.
“But she’s just a whinny Mary-Sue!”
“She loved Tigerheart!”
“When she lost her powers, she did nothing!”
Now, I’ll tackle these questions one at a time.

1- She’s a Mary-Sue!
Well, no. She wanted to help her clan, and did the best she could. She didn’t ask for her powers! She didn’t even want them when she was younger! She wanted to b normal, to fit in. I bet she just wanted to be a good warrior, get a mate, have kits, retire to the elder’s den and live peacefully. Yes, I know she was ‘perfect’ in everything because of her powers. But she didn’t brag or put others down because of it! She would even let Ivypool get the first catch sometimes! So you have to admit, she’s not that bad personality-wise.

2- She Loved Tigerheart!
Okay, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you can’t help love. It just comes. I mean, look at other respected cats, such as Yellowfang, Bluestar, and Graystripe. They weren’t horrible cats because of that. But Dovewing was young and inexperienced, and she just wanted to be with him. But overall, she had the courage to stop and put her clan first. I know I respect that.

3- She did Nothing After she Lost her Powers!
Okay, I think she was just in shock. Think about it. She gets her powers, doesn’t want them, finally gets used to them, and then they’re gone. She felt useless, and that she was nothing to her clan without her powers. This isn’t a sign of a Mary-Sue. It’s a sign of low self-esteem. She feels as if every good thing she did was because of her powers, and now that they were gone, she was shocked and confused. It’s like living your whole life with sight, then you suddenly lose it. You feel blind, lost, confused, and you begin to blame yourself. Now, put Dovewing in that position. She’s in a bad position, and that’s not a sign of a Mary-Sue.

Okay, that’s all I have for now. Thank you, and I’ll see you all later!

Fan Articles

Notify of
Dawnpaw (Dawntail)
Dawnpaw (Dawntail)
July 3, 2017 6:51 pm

1. A Mary Sue has it perfect, everyone likes her, she has powers, (like really powerful powers, all Dovewing has is really good hearing). Dovewing was NOT perfect, she didn’t like her powers, not everyone liked her (maybe someone like Ivypool) and I said that her powers are not all that good (a Mary Sue might have 3-4 powers).

2. Look at Silverstream and Greystripe. Forbidden love, the fandom loved it (not to mention all Solver did was save his life and BOOM love). Bluestar and Oakheart. Forbidden love and all they did was spend one night together, then Bluestar is pregnant. Crowfeather and Feathertail. Yes, they were not officially mates, but loved each other. Dove loved Tigerheart but then she told him a secret and then he came with his Clan to the herb garden in TC. Then she hated him.

3. She probably didn’t know what to do. I mean, you have really good hearing (and you can see with that for some reason) then you lose it. Would you brush it off and continue hunting (which you were very good at) or would you be shocked and don’t know what to do? And she was only whining because she lost something she had her whole life. That’s like going deaf and blind when you’ve had sight and hearing your whole life.

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
July 3, 2017 7:04 pm

Great points! Idk really who I like better: Dovewing or Ivypool. I actually really like
Hollyleaf and for some reason Mothwing to me is a good character (she may not believe in StarClan but she respects others’ beliefs and is an awesome medicine cat. She even offered to help Jayfeather and talked to him about the Dark Forest. Besides, stupid Hawkfrost was so mean to her and was the worst brother ever). But idk. And I agree with you that Dovewing is not perfect (I actually don’t really know what a Mary-Sue is anyway).

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

Honeypaw (Honeyflight)
Honeypaw (Honeyflight)
July 3, 2017 10:38 pm

Tbh I really liked Dovewing as well as Ivypool I get really annoyed with people who call her a Mary sue even tho she wasn’t ( then again I liked almost all of the cats in the series XD )

Silvertail basking in the summer sun
Silvertail basking in the summer sun
July 3, 2017 10:45 pm

Yeah, same here. XD I just don’t get how people can love Ivypool so much, and hate poor Dovewing. I mean, I love them both, but all characters need some love 😛

Don't let your MEMES be DREAMS

Crookedjaw II who is singing festive songs
Crookedjaw II who is singing festive songs
December 7, 2017 6:53 pm

Sorry but ivypool is better, dovewing is kind of a mary sue

Sedgeleap
Sedgeleap
January 16, 2018 7:09 pm

I agree with most of this, but I still think she was a bit mean to Ivypool when they were apprentices. I mean, she didn’t trust her sister at all, and then she didn’t even really support her when Ivypaw went to the Dark Forest. And she was kind of full of herself, not really paying much attention to Ivy.

🎃 Cheetahspark 🎃
🎃 Cheetahspark 🎃
January 16, 2018 7:37 pm

I honestly like Dovewing. She just bothers me sometimes, but I don’t necessarily know why. I never thought she was a Mary Sue or anything, I just didn’t like her. Another point though= Jayfeather and Lionblaze didn’t freak out nearly as much as Dove did when they lost their powers, and they had them longer.

Moonpelt
Moonpelt
March 25, 2020 3:24 pm

They didn’t freak out because, one, In bramblestar’s Storm, Lionblaze couldn’t get over the fact that he wasn’t invincible, two, Jayfeather could still see in dreams and continue being a medicine cat, and three, she is much younger that them. I mean, she was born when Jayfeather and Lionblaze had their warrior names, so they are much more mature than her and have gone through much more. But, I still love Lionblaze, Jayfeather, Ivypool, Hollyleaf and Dovewing equally and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. This is just what I think…

• 🐾Mink That Dances With Skeletons (Minktail)🐾 on Name Generators
  • Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Stormpaw) on BlogClan Tavern
  • 🐾Mink That Dances With Skeletons (Minktail)🐾 on Name Generators
  • 🔥▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░Pebblepaw░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂ 🔥 (aka Peb, the Gender-Bias Battler) on BlogClan Tavern
  • ♥️Singin' in the Graveyard/Rainsong (Rainyyy)♥️ on BlogClan Art

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch