If Shrewpaw hadn’t died… by Starlingpaw

Starlingpaw ponders how the Warriors universe would have changed if Shrewpaw had lived.

Artwork by Darian Yunidi

Hey fellow Blogclanners! Starlingpaw here!
I’ve been reading all these amazing fanfics about what if’s and I decided to make my own but instead of a fanfic its an article because this is going to get complicated. So as the title says I’m going to explore what would happen if Shrewpaw had caught the pheasent and lived. Lets get to it!
Shrewpaw and Squirrelpaw were mooning over each other as apprentices. In Squirrelpaws POV in multiple books of ‘The new prophecy’ she states she had a real connection with Shrewpaw and was devastated when he died. If Shrewpaw had lived they would have become mates instead of her and Brambleclaw. That also would have prevented Ashfury to turn into the psycopath he always was inside. Which would mean Squirrelflight wouldn’t have to confess to her mothering Leafpools kits. Which would mean Hollyleaf wouldn’t have killed Ashfur and gone into the tunnels with fallen leaves. If she didn’t go into the tunnels then Ivypool would have died because there was no cat to take the killing blow for her. If Shrewpaw had caught the pheasent and lived then most of the Clan would have been fed and Larkkit, Hollykit, two ShadowClan elders (I can’t remember there names) wouldn’t have died. Larkkit and Hollykit could’ve become future love intrests for Ashfur and Brambleclaw. To add on to all of this Firestar stated that he thought Shrewpaw was going to be a great warrior, hinting that he could have wanted Shrewpaw to become deputy. This might have tipped Brambleclaw over the edge and he finally gave in to his fathers bloodthirsty greed for power. Also Alderpaw, Sparkpaw, Tulipkit, and Dandilionkit would’ve never been born so Darktail and his rogues couldn’t have followed Alderpaw and Sparkpaw home and ShadowClan wouldn’t have been invaded by rogues. On top of all this Firestar wouldn’t have died in his battle against Tigerstar. This is because if Ashfury didn’t go super crazy and help Hawkfrost get Firestar into that fox trap he would have another life to spare (Granted he could’ve wasted it somewhere else but still!) and that means Sandstorm probably wouldn’t have gone with Alderpaw and Sparkpaw to save SkyClan. And Alderpaw and Sparkpaw could maybe have been succesful and bring back SkyClan.
Now I have to ask myself, is that a bad thing or a good thing that he died? Would the Clans be better off? You decide!

Fan Articles

Notify of
Ebonypaw (Ebonygaze)
Ebonypaw (Ebonygaze)
June 20, 2017 12:12 am

Nice Article!

I think it all really depends on what else happens. We could have another medicine cat instead of Alderpaw, Ashfur might have still gone crazy, or he might’ve found another mate, but I think he wouldn’t be as mad because Squirrelflight did almost become mates with Ashfur.
But whether Shrewpaw caught the pheasant or not wouldn’t have affected Larchkit’s death since she died in Moonrise, but Hollykit probably would still be.

WHO NEEDS A MAP?

Lemonbreeze
Lemonbreeze
June 20, 2017 1:08 am

OMG, I forgot about Shrewpaw, and I re-read the books a million times! Wow, the butterfly effect is crazy!

Sorrelpaw [Sorrelstream] aka Sorzi
Sorrelpaw [Sorrelstream] aka Sorzi
June 20, 2017 10:06 am

Wow!
Personally, I prefer the way things are now. Squirrelfight and Bramblestar belong together despite their argument (an argument that made the story more interesting), and if Hollyleaf had not escaped into the tunnels the novella about her wouldn’t exist.

So, I’m kinda glad that Shrewpaw died…

Sorzi (爱猫者)
Not coincidence

Sky
Sky
June 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Same!

Sky
Sky
June 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Sorry, byt I prefer it how it is right now.

I don’t think Squirrelflight felt that kind of love for Shrewpaw – Bramblestar was always the one for her. Shrewpaw was just her best friend. Seriously – just because your best friend’s male doesn’t mean you’re going to become mates!

Also, Firestar says that A LOT of apprentices are going to be good warriors…..why assume that they all will become deputies? He said it about Thornclaw, Brackenfur, Bramblestar, Lionblaze, Dovewing…..

mossfluff
mossfluff
June 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Fantastic article! 😀

Wow, that’s one huge butterfly effect!

new here🙂

Icepaw(Icetail)
Icepaw(Icetail)
June 23, 2017 8:56 am

Nope.

Ivypool is too awesome to die

Night-tail
Night-tail
April 7, 2020 8:02 pm

yes! Why wouldn’t Hollyleaf save Ivypool? Why? Just cause she was never in the tunnels?

Night-tail

Mint and Feathers Scattered Amid Autumn Leaves/Mint in Cranberry Sauce/Mintpaw(feather)
June 23, 2017 10:11 pm

woah

When in thorns, look for roses

Snowstorm is a flurry of hearts not snow
Snowstorm is a flurry of hearts not snow
February 5, 2018 11:17 pm

hang on here… not to criticize, but who’s tulipkit??? I thought it was juniperkit. Other than that, wonderful article!

Fluffytail
Fluffytail
May 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Ummmmmm Alderpaw and Sparkpaw’s lost littermates were Dandilionkit and Juniperkit

Jewelshine/ Jewelstar
Jewelshine/ Jewelstar
September 13, 2018 6:05 pm

I like it how it was right now. Squirrelflight and Bramblestar has a family. And they were never a lot action if Shrewpaw was alive, it would make warriors boring. So let´s keep it how it is now. ( Big fan of Squirrelx Bramble!)

Beepaw(Jaydapple, the Squirrel x Shrew ship captain)
Beepaw(Jaydapple, the Squirrel x Shrew ship captain)
February 22, 2019 10:13 pm

If he’d lived, for sure.

SQUIRREL X SHREW IS BEST

I am the Squirrel x Shrew ship captain :3

Shimmersplash
Shimmersplash
October 13, 2020 2:58 pm

Also the three wouldn’t have been born

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch