Prophecy Talk by Snowyfoot

Snowyfoot answers some popular questions about prophecies and their use in stories.

Artist unknown (Source: Pinterest)

Snowyfoot: Hello Students and welcome to my article, prophecy talk. I would like to discuss this because I very much dislike over use of them. *glares at Snowyfoot’s Box if Overused Prophecy Books*

Student: How do people overuse prophecies?

Snowyfoot: good question! Well when people write about these, it does give the main character a rise point. If it’s gonna be this huge prophecy, then only use one through out the book. An example would be As a wave of war between Clans grows stronger, the Silver Cloud will put an end to it. This would mean a cat named Silvercloud has an ability to stop the war amongst the clans. But I would not use the cats full name. But let’s say during that battle period, Silvercloud has another prophecy, then another, then another, then ANOTHER, wouldn’t that be super annoying? Because if it goes on and on people forget about the main prophecy and I bet the writer would too! Then what’s the point of ending the war?

Student: ooh ooh ooh! Why do most prophecies involve cats with powers?

Snowyfoot: Nice one! Cats like myself can be born with them or granted them through a prophecy. Depending on what the prophecy is, cats might need to have a special ability to fufill it. Let’s look back on the power of three! That one would definitely need powerful cats. But here’s the exception. Powers go along the lines of Chekhov’s Gun, that means that if in the story the person has a GUN they have to use it by the end of the book. Powers are like that too. If a cat has a power, they have to use it in terms of the prophecy by the end of a book or series. Let’s say a prophecy was Sweet Greenleaf is coming, but things are sometimes to good to be true. Storms will Rage and Sun will burn, but the hero From within has a will of Gold. Goldenpelt will be our character. So this would mean StormClan and SunClan are at war and Goldenpelt can call upon her ancestors to help fight for her clan. But when the final battle of the war comes and she hasn’t used her power to do anything, then what good would it be? Do you get my point?

Student: Yea! But I have another question. Is it better prophecies are strait forward or not?

Snowyfoot: This is a great one to think about. If it’s strait forward, sometimes it gives the receiver time to prepare for the “Chosen One.” If the receiver is the chosen one though, that may be a bit boring because one, they know exactly who it’s about, two, they know how to prepare for it. That would take the mystery out of a prophecy, wouldn’t it? But let’s look back to Fire alone will save the clan. This was pretty strait forward if ask me. The receiver knew exactly what it meant, I kind of figured out who it was for off the bat. But that is to say we did not know who the main character was. We only knew him as Rusty.

Student: Look! *bell wrings* Its time to go….

Snowyfoot: well looks like we are out of time! Till next time class. Apprentice Students. Dismissed.

22 Replies to “Prophecy Talk by Snowyfoot”

1. Bluebellpaw
    July 9, 2017 at 4:39 pm

great article ๐Ÿ™‚

wait for you to get back

2. Bluepaw (Blueheart)
    July 9, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Great Article!! I was very interested in it because I have a Prophecy in my FanFic. I think it will be interesting how the cats interpret it. Here it is:

Where the river ends, the wind stops. Where the shadows fall, the storm fades. The sky will crack and the stars will fall. And the cry of a kits first pain is heard over a black thorn. -Woofstorm (he came up with it)

The main character is Thornkit and it is about her life. I have some brilliant ideas for it.

• July 9, 2017 at 10:49 pm

That sounds great!

Sorzi (็ˆฑ็Œซ่€…)
      Not coincidence

• Bluepaw (Blueheart)
        July 9, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ I really like it. I could never have come up with it myself.

• emberpaw
      July 10, 2017 at 4:14 am

follow the river and i find a lost clan with power of wind or lost windclan go by moutain under shadow rockslide revels secret cave with herb that heals sickness or portal where the cat can enter starclan without dreaming the sky will seem like its craking and there will be dimonds in the rockslide that seem like the stars will fall

• Bluepaw (Blueheart)
        July 10, 2017 at 5:00 pm

What’s this??

3. Mosspaw (Mossfluff)
    July 10, 2017 at 1:55 am

Great article, Snowyfoot! ๐Ÿ˜€

new here๐Ÿ™‚

4. Witchheart
    July 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Great job, Snowyfoot! I’m writing a fanfic and the series has a prophecy but the first book has a simple, straight-forward prophecy leading to that one.

Book 1 Prophecy – Descend below the mist; To the land down low; For there are many cats; That need their share of Hope.
    Explanation – It’s given to a cat named Hopeheart who lives in the mountains. It kind of sets the whole series in motion.

Series Prophecy – She will bring the Hope; He will the Promise; He will bring the Chance; And she will bring the Faith; That binds them all together.
    No explanation on this one… figure it out…

It feels good to back. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Flamepaw on his phone
    July 10, 2017 at 3:44 pm

This was an amazing article! I like the school setting, as if we’re taking a class in… I don’t… Writing?

• Flamepaw on his phone
      July 10, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Still amazing article. It helps explain a lot.