Prowlclaw shares what they wished had happened in the series.

Artwork by Lithestep

Hello! Prowlclaw here with another article regarding what happened in the series that made me think of what could’ve happened. I know it sounds confusing, but you’ll know what I mean when I start, so without further a due, let’s begin!

1. Mousewhisker and Cinderheart- Yes, this is a ship I have, because I saw so much potential with these two. I shipped them because he was practically best friends with Cinderheart ever since he was little. You may have thought, “It’s only because she saved him!” But it was much more than that. I shipped them more after Cinderheart saved Mousewhisker, because he was so concerned for her and always tried to be by her side. Lionblaze didn’t even really acknowledge her until they were warriors, but by then she had become a bit of a drama queen. Cinderheart was always one of my favorites because of her role as Hollyleaf’s supportive friend, and that is how I will always remember her.

Shrewpaw and Squirrelflight- Another ship, sorry, I promise this is the last ship. Shrewpaw was very close to Squirrelpaw when they were apprentices, that was obvious. Even though he wasn’t with her for long, you could tell his understanding and somewhat rowdy personality mingled with Squirrelflight’s. I ship this mostly because Brambleclaw fights with Squirrelflight so much, and we all know deep down that is not a healthy relationship. Ashfur was too controlling and he had anger issues as well, which could have led to a very unhappy life with Squirrelflight. But Shrewpaw understood Squirrelflight was a flame that never died and there was a compromise between him and her. He understood her because he was in her shoes as an apprentice, that is why I ship them.

Nightcloud- Finally over with the ships. Now we get to the main attraction. I found someone who finally understood how I felt about Nightcloud. I quote from Amaterasu, “Her character got such a bad rep: she was written as a concerned mother in The Sight but was transformed into the wicked witch of WindClan because the Erins wanted to make you feel bad for Leafpool. Ironically it me feels bad for Nightcloud instead.” Nightcloud was a sweet mother who cared deeply for a lot of people in the sight. One scene from the sight show just how good of a mother she was. After almost being buried alive, Lionpaw and Breezepaw are taken to Thunderclan camp to be treated. Nightcloud is concerned for BOTH of the apprentices and proceeds to cuddle up next to them lovingly. This scene almost made me cry from sheer respect of Nightcloud.

36 Replies to “What could have been- Discussing what could’ve happened and what did happen by Prowlclaw”

1. Ebonypaw (Ebonygaze)
    September 24, 2017 at 4:04 pm

CinderXMouse seems like a cool ship, and I always thought Squirrelflight and Shrewpaw were going to be mates, but I personally don’t like Nightcloud. I agree she should’ve been nice and a character you should sympathize with, but she isn’t that great of a mother and even worse of a mate. Not only did Nightcloud also use Crowfeather, but I also found her to be more abusive to Crowfeather than Crowfeather is to Nightcloud. Nightcloud also spoiled Breezepelt way too much and did nothing when he attacked Leafpool. I respect your opinion though. Nice article!

WHO NEEDS A MAP?

• Sky
      September 24, 2017 at 6:29 pm

I agree on the Nightcloud point.

I just ship SquirrelXBramble and MouseXMinnow

2019, here I come!

• Prowlclaw
      September 24, 2017 at 6:57 pm

(Look at my comment.)

2. Echopaw loves cinnamon rolls
    September 24, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I wish they made Mothpool. 🙁
    I agree with you about Nightcloud, though!
    Great article!

3. Prowlclaw
    September 24, 2017 at 6:29 pm

As soon as I saw this, a I almost passed out. This is one of the worst articles I have ever written, to be honest, and I accidentally published it. I had written a lot more but for some reason only this portion got published? Anyway, everyone is saying that Nightcloud sucks, which she does, but I liked her character in the beginning when she still had some compassion left in her. That sudden character change really bugged me, because I always viewed Nightcloud as a good cat, but then all of a sudden she starts to “Verbally abuse” her son? I think it would’ve been better had Nightcloud remained a good cat and it wasn’t just Leafpool saying, “Oh, Crowfeather, save me from Nightcloud and her evil son!”

Anyway, on to the ships. I didn’t fully explain why I didn’t like Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw because as I said before, only some of it got published. Here we go. During the journey, they absolutely despised each other and would just be at odds end about a lot of things. My sister Lillypool’s quote, “It kinda felt like Brambleclaw had to change his personality to get with Squirrelflight. I mean, he was fine before that, but Squirrelflight was often too harsh on him, even if she didn’t mean it. You either had to be really mature or really immature to tolerate her, and it felt like Brambleclaw just suddenly became really mature, when before he didn’t want anything to do with her. I’m not saying I hate Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight together, cause’ I like how their relationship took longer to develop, but there where plenty of other suitors that could’ve made for better mates. Stormfur is an example, he was calm and saw Squirrelflight as someone he could never be with, but even then he supported her and listened to everything she had to say. While Shrewpaw was so excited to see Squirrelpaw back, he was even more excited than Ashfur, which says a lot. Squirrelpaw constantly was thinking how much he cared for her and how he was one of the few to greet her.” So there you have it.

• Prowlclaw
      September 24, 2017 at 6:51 pm

After I learned about her relationship between her and Crowfeather, I felt terrible. I know I’m going to get a lot of salt for this, but I hate Crowfeather. So what if Nightcloud just wanted kits? She could’ve just been some cat that wanted to love somebody and Crowfeather was the cat she liked. If he truly was a good cat, he could’ve said, “Nightcloud, I don’t love you and because of that, I want you to find a better cat that will have the patience to treat you with love.” But instead, Crowfeather accepts Nightcloud, thus changing her single status so that she can’t find someone better to love her. The whole “Nightcloud just wanted kits thing” doesn’t add up because if she really just wanted kits, she should’ve had more with Crowfeather. But even if Nightcloud just wanted kits, she also wanted a good mate because why else would she get mad at Crowfeather for not loving her? It just doesn’t make sense. Still I can’t forgive her for telling her son that, “Crowfeather doesn’t love us.” and stuff like that, because Nightcloud should’ve just focused on trying to make her son the best warrior he could be. I hope that clears up things.

• Jetclaw
      September 24, 2017 at 9:01 pm

For Bramble and Squirrel they didn’t absolutely despise each other, otherwise why would the clan trying to keep them separate when they saw the fire and tiger thing affect them so much? They’d have wanted nothing to do with each other if they truly despised each other and thus then being kept separate would’ve had little effect. But instead it did interrupt their life not just because of the nearing journey but because they still interacted. They weren’t like oil and water, was Squirrelpaw immature and a bit much at times, yes. But I do recall Brambleclaw could be a bossy paws at times and often would need Squirrelpaws pushing at times.

I do agree Brambleclaw matured, but I think it was more a result of being the leader of the journeying cats rather than coming out of nowhere just so he and Squirrel could be more compatible. As for the other suitors, Stormfur was an option maybe, but after all the trouble of being halfclan, and seeing his sisters interest in Crowpaw grow, the way he approached his relations with Squirrelpaw were just respect for a friend. The fact that Stirmfur was able to stop himself with thoughts of ‘I can’t because we’re from separate clans’ or at least approach the matter with a great deal of logic kind of tells me there wasn’t much there for them. But I do think Stormfur helped Brambleclaw see Squirrelpaws worth and value as a friend and member of the group when they had a buffer between their initial bickering.

As for Shrewpaw there just was too little interaction to say one way or another. Had he lived I think he’d be her friend rather than a mate. Especially since Squirrel didn’t start getting the interest of Ashfur till she was a warrior and she and Brambleclaw were looking to maybe go from close friends in the group, to mates. Even if Shrewpaw had lived I don’t think he’d have been able to overcome Squirrel and Brambles connection. Did it take them a while to see it? Yes. But it’s definitely there and I for one really like them together.

And well here’s the thing with Nightcloud. It’s not unheard of for cats to hook up with someone else even after they’ve been mates with someone else already. We have seen a lot of solo pairs lately, but I know we saw Stormtail looking at hooking up with Dappletail in the days before the prophecies begin not to mention the various pairs the original ThunderClan queens were in.

So even though Nightcloud took Crowfeather as a mate, why not simply go for a different one? While recent books have shown a great deal of faithfulness between one pair, it wouldn’t be impossible. Another thing was I’m pretty sure Nightcloud was starting to get old and that’s what brought on her desire of ‘I NEED to have kits’. Also, while yes Crowfeather could’ve turned Nightcloud down why would Nightcloud have asked in the first place of she WASNT desperate? I mean yes if you want kits why not just ask whoever, but then you pick the cat who left your clan for a medicine cat. I mean that’s a big risk. Why would any self respecting queen take someone who’s status in the clan was so up in the air. Unless she had no other option?

She knew Crowfeather was looking to secure his position in the clan and she needed kits so it was a mutually beneficial relationship. Perhaps she thought if she could provide Crowfeather what Leafpool seemingly had not, she’d win him over and get the kits she desired. We don’t know if Nightcloud had more kits that didn’t make it or just Breezekit in the first place either so maybe there were more but Nightcloud just couldn’t manage to have more than the one litter where she only had 1 kit.

• Prowlclaw
        September 29, 2017 at 2:50 am

See, I would agree with the first two paragraphs, because the reasoning is well thought out, but if he truly did mature, why did he have childish breakdowns every once and a while? Like with Squirrelflight taking in Leafpool’s kits. I think Stormfur would’ve probably gone after her because, to be honest, his sister gave a pretty terrible speech about how she could love anyone no matter what clan they were from, and you would think it was god’s grace from heaven. Stormfur had nothing to argue against Feathertail, and he clearly saw Squirrelflight as more than a friend, or at least had intentions to see her as more than one. But, I do think Brook was a much better match for him, and I also agree with your last sentence.
        The reason I wrote the Shrewpaw x Squirrelpaw ship down is because of my recent findings of a fanfiction by AnnMY on deviantart regarding what might’ve happened had he survived. It was very well written and if the warriors series had been written like that, I can almost picture it being canon. I don’t necessarily hate Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight, but it could’ve been written better in my personal opinion.

Now on to Nightcloud. While I agree that she was probably desperate, I believe she saw Crowfeather as far more than a beneficial relationship. I mean, if she truly saw him as this, why did she get mad when he would say flirty things about Leafpool? Or when he would treat her as nothing more than an acquaintance? She was clearly wanting more when she hooked up with him.

One more quick note, Jetclaw. I am extremely happy to have met a fellow debater with the patience to read all of my points before commenting about one thing. You are by far one of the best debaters on here next to Sky. I very much respect both of you and even though we have differing opinions, I just want you to know that I don’t have any bad feelings against you because of your opinion.

4. Sky
    September 24, 2017 at 6:30 pm

SquirrelXBramble is healthy!

Think of all they’ve been through, yet they’ve come out, happy and together.

2019, here I come!

• Prowlclaw
      September 24, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I wouldn’t say they come out happy all the time. Brambleclaw throws a mini tantrum after he finds out his kits aren’t his and instead of working it out like a sensible adult, he just ignores her. Like Ashfur.

• Foxtail
        September 24, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I hated that part but I get that he was just really upset. But still…..

SquirrelxBramble 4 da vin

• Sky
        September 24, 2017 at 10:34 pm

???

So he was supposed to be sensible when his loved one who had been through so much with him lied about one of the biggest aspects of being a cat?

He was betrayed, confused about his feelings, lost, and heartbroken. He yelled at her – wouldn’t you?

And then he ignored her because he was trying to sort out his own feelings – do you think he would have just gotten over it? He even carried out deputy duties, organized attacks, and was perfectly responsible. He didn’t plot to murder nor did he steam forever and gossip about it, like Ashfur.

2019, here I come!

• Prowlclaw
          September 25, 2017 at 12:19 am

You’re misunderstanding. I’m saying he ignored her like Ashfur, not that he wanted to do everything Ashfur did.

Also did Squirrelflight run away when she knew Brambleclaw had been training in the Dark Forest? Or after he killed his half brother? Most people wonder why she didn’t suspect Brambleclaw of being a murder or traitor, but here is what I say to that. Squirrelflight knew that Brambleclaw wouldn’t do something like that without a good reason and she put her heart and soul into loving him.
          But when it is reveled she took in Leafpool’s kits and said they were her own, he didn’t stop and question her like she had done with him. Brambleclaw ran away, unlike what Squirrelflight had done. He couldn’t understand her side of the story. That is why Brambleclaw was childish and didn’t think of all she’d done for him.

• Sky
            September 25, 2017 at 1:44 am

You missed the part that it was KITS. He thought they were his blood. The next generation. What he did is nothing compared to lying about your KIDS.

• Prowlclaw
              September 25, 2017 at 4:30 pm

What are you saying? Brambleclaw trained with Tigerstar, the one who could’ve KILLED the next generation. And even after he killed Hawkfrost and saying the Dark Forest was behind him, he still trained with Tigerstar. He lied TWICE to her. And after all that she still FORGAVE HIM.
              Also what Squirrelflight did was the will of Starclan, so it wasn’t even Squirrelflight’s fault! She tried to be loyal and argue with Starclan about taking them in as her own, but Brambleclaw didn’t even try to argue or stand up for what he thought was right, other than the time he killed Hawkfrost of course. It just disgusted me the about of pure anger he showed toward her, even though she’d treated him with respect.

• Sky
                September 26, 2017 at 1:46 am

So?

Bramblestar needed time to sort out his feelings.

2019, here I come!

• Amberstorm233
                September 26, 2017 at 5:26 am

Exactly. I remember at least a time or two when Brambleclaw abused his power to scold Squirrelflight like she was an apprentice. Then outside of calling patrols for his sons to go on, Brambleclaw just completely ignored the kits he raised with the she-cat he claimed to love. Oh, and if he really loved her he’d see things from her side instead of wallowing in self pity. And at the end of it all, despite Squirrelflight respecting him and apologizing for what she did, Brambleclaw doesn’t apologize once. The closest he gets to apologizing to the she-cat he claimed he loved is that he understands why she did what she did.

And when you think about, what if Squirrelflight did tell her mate the truth? How would the Clan react when they found out their trusted deputy, who’s also the son of Tigerstar who was also a traitorous liar, kept a secret like this from them? What would happen to him? I mean, if Brambleclaw knew the secret of his kits true origins and kept it from the Clan, how would that affect him? Honestly, it seems to me Squirrelflight was trying to protect her mate, the tom she truly loved, so that if the secret did ever come out, he wouldn’t be affected by it.

• Prowlclaw
                  September 26, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Yes, I very much agree with your statement Amberstorm223. She only did it to protect him from further harm, and this is the thanks she gets?

5. July 24, 2018 at 11:35 pm

I agree with Sky. Brambleclaw just needed time to sort out his feelings, and in the end, they became mates again. He understands why she did what she did, he just didn’t believe that she could have kept such a huge secret from him the entire time. He truly loves her, just as much as she loves him. He turned down that charming kittypet, Jessy, because he realized that Squirrelflight was the one and only cat he could ever be mates with. And think about it this way: Tons of she-cats would have been eligible for mating with Brambleclaw while he wasn’t talking to Squirrelflight. But he didn’t hook up with anyone else, did he? He knew his heart belonged with Squirrelflight, no matter how many secrets she kept. He’s not a traitorous liar, or a murderer. It was either kill EVIL Hawkfrost, or kill his Clan leader. So what would you choose if you were loyal? It’s pretty obvious. I don’t agree with anything Amberstorm said, and some of the things Prowlclaw did. And it’s a healthy relationship because Brambleclaw keeps Squirrelflight in line, and even if they argue sometimes, it’s only because they love each other enough to.

Thanks for reading all of that 😀 you deserve a cookie! *hands cookie*

love lasts forever