Skyeyes shares their opinion on some of the most disliked characters in the fandom.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE some of the most hated warriors ever. Now, you must be thinking, “Skyeyes, why in the world would you love them?” Now, dear reader, I will analyze and give reasons to why I think these cats are actually the best warriors to exist.
1. Tigerstar-Now, Tigerstar earns a special place in my heart next to Feathertail and Featherwhisker. I’ll explain Featherwhisker later. Tigerstar gets a LOT of bad rep for being the main baddie in the series. But deep down in his roots, he’s just a misunderstood cat who was bullied into being who most people portray him as. First, let’s start out simple. From the day he was born. Tigerstar had promise before he was an apprentice. Born to Leopardfoot and Pinestar, the small kit was rambunctious. But when Pinestar left to become a kitty pet, Tigerkit decided he would never accept a kittypet into his clan. Not so rational thinking, but what do you really expect from a kit? When it was time, Tigerkit was apprenticed to Thistleclaw. At this time, Sunstar or anybody else didn’t see the horror that was truly Thistleclaw. Nobody except Bluefur. Now, on one of Tigerpaw’s first days of an apprentice, they stumble upon a tiny miserable kit. Tiny. Thistleclaw snarls at Tigerpaw to chase and/or hurt the intruder. Now, this is a kit we’re talking about. A kit. But Thistleclaw had a cold dark soul that was impossible to bring light into. Tigerstar was taught the ways of a monster by a bigger monster. When Tigerpaw took that first claw full swipe, doors opened wide. Doors opened to a whole new world. A world full of murder and bloodshed. Tigerstar knew from that day on, life was cruel. So he had to be cruel right back at it.
2. Millie. I never loved her, but she cared so much for Briarlight, it’s hard to not defend her. I think it was a nice chance to give Grastripe a second chance with love, even if it was with a kitty pet. And I honestly don’t think she’s a copy of Silverstram. She has the deep and jagged affection of a mother, and the spirit of a true warrior. What else can I say?
3. ASHFUR. Yeah. Besides Tigerstar (who I love by the way), Ashfur seems to be the most hated cat out there. But why? Have you ever been cast out, abandoned, ignored for so many moons on end? Hmm, let me guess. No. You haven’t. If you have, you might understand him as well. He was under so much pressure, so much anger, that he snapped. The frustration that comes with abandonment and taunting is horrible, growing hotter and denser and bigger every day. Sometimes you just can’t take it. You feel like the world has turned against you, like life just wants you to suffer. I love him. He’s just so misunderstood. If you ever went through anything like I or Ashfur did, and made it out alive, I praise you.
4. Rainflower. Now this is hard to back up. I absolutely hate her. She was like everyone else to Ashfur and I. She put the weight of 1000 tons on Crookedkit’s shoulders for not being perfect. For not being who she wanted him to be. Look who’s laughing now, Rainflower. But, I’ll try to back her up here. She just wanted the best future for her kits. She wanted her kits to be Thebes’s best in the clan. But she really meant it. When crookedkit broke his jaw, Rainflower knew that he wasn’t going to be a strong warrior like Oakkit. So she pushed him aside to make way for Crookedkit. Crookedstar and Ashfur actually have a lot in common. Abandoned, cast away, taunted. I guess some people never change. I guess some people just have it in their mind that it’s right. If you really think about it like Mistleheart did, Rainflower made her son stronger. Rain flower praised the kits for breaking the rules and going outside camp. So Crookedkit want to stand up to ThunderClan. So he tried, but broke his jaw. If Rainflower scolded him, he wouldn’t have broke his jaw. But that wouldn’t have made him who he was. The reason Crookedstar was strong was because he ran away, he needed some time without pressure and anxiety. He built up his strentgh and came back, against all odds. Against all odds, against Rainflower’s thoughts and mews. Crookedstar rose above it all. So savage.
5. Brokenstar. Same with Tigerstar, Brokenstar did what he thought was right. At first. When he was a small kit, he was bullied. (As shown in Yellowfang’s Secret) He was mad. He felt like the world was watching him suffer. Making his life bad on purpose. So he decided to rise up against the haters (You sensing a pattern yet?) and wanted to be the best he could. Yes, he never made rational decisions, but he was always in the moment. He thought what he was doing would lead his clan forward. Unfortunately, he was living in the moment, and many cats died.
BONUS: Why I like Feaherwhisker so much- I love Featherwhisker so much because even while Goosefeather was going senile, Featherwhisker was willing to do all of the medicine cat duties without a single complaint. He was always so cooperative and kind, and was overall a great cat. Also, did anyone else cry when Longtail died? I was in class, so I tried not to show it that much but still. Only me?