Is Millie a Bad Mother? by Dawnpaw

Dawnpaw considers how Millie acted as a parent towards her kits.

Artist Unknown (Source: Warriors theory Wiki)

Lots of people have done this article before. People have different opinions about Millie. This is because she had lost of good moments and bad moments that are shown in the books. Before I start overwhelming you with Millie facts, I just want to say that I will not do anything with Silverstream and Millie being better mothers and stuff like that. I also am completely neutral on this topic.

Some people claim that Millie was a bad mother because she gave more attention to Briarlight then she did to Blossomfall and Bumblestripe. Millie gave more attention to Briarlight when she got injured. In my opinion, that’s fine. But when Jayfeather tells her to give Briarlight space, give her some space! On top of Millie’s head is only thinking about if Briarlight is alright because of her injuries.

I admit, Blossomfall is a warrior, and shouldn’t be acting as if she was a kit or apprentice. But Blossomfall’s personality makes her do that. Blossomfall wants attention. She wants to please her mother, or at least that was how I understood it. Then Millie starts to give more of Blossomfall’s attention to Briarlight. It’s understandable, but Blossomfall doesn’t see it that way. I believe she thinks that Millie doesn’t love her as much as she loves Briarlight. As for Bumblestripe, I don’t think he ever wanted attention from his mother. He just wanted to live a happy life and be a good use to the clan. You might ask, why can’t Blossomfall be like Bumblestripe? Simple. Their personalities are way too different.

Even though I feel like Millie should have noticed that Blossomfall just wanted to please her, Millie was caring about her injured kit. I think I can feel the pain she was feeling. She feels that Briarlight might die, or live a long life unhappily. She cares about all her kits, but gives a little more attention to Briarlight. If you’re parents found out that your sibling was injured, they’d give your sibling more attention.

Millie yelled at Blossomfall in front of the whole clan. If we’re being realistic, if Millie hadn’t yelled at Blossomfall in front of the clan, where would she? Take Blossomfall out into the forest and yell at her there? It is normal for parents to yell at their child if they think whatever they did was wrong. However, Millie is always comparing Blossomfall to Briarlight. I believe she said that if Briarlight wasn’t injured she would have hunted for the clan or something like that. If Briarlight wasn’t injured, Blossomfall and Briarlight would both “seem” to have their mother’s love. Bumblestripe would, too, but as I said before, he never wanted to please Millie.

So that concludes my article! If I had any wrong information, please tell me in the comments. Thank you for reading my first article!

P.S. I submitted this article on 8/27. I wonder when it gets published! (Embertsar answer: Halloween!)

Fan Articles

Notify of
Waiting Impatiently for the Dawn of January 16 (Dawnpaw/Dawnbringer)
Waiting Impatiently for the Dawn of January 16 (Dawnpaw/Dawnbringer)
October 31, 2017 12:48 am

Now that this has been posted, I realized how cringy it is. *hides in a corner and tries to hide from everyone who reads this cringiness*

January 16 is a special day...

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
October 31, 2017 12:58 am

Great article, Dawn (my Chinese buddy 😛)!!! I’m neautral on Millie too and you just read my mind! I see her as a mother who needs to pay attention to all her kits because it is wrong to single one out, but then again I also understand her worrying and stress for Briarlight. I also agree with the fact that Briarlight wanted space and Jayfeather also wanted her to have space yet Millie didn’t listen to the daughter she so much cared about or even the medicine cat! I know she was scared but the medicine cat always knows best. If she wanted Briarlight to be less stressed and happy, then she should have given her some space. But that is just totally my opinion.

Well done! 👍🏽

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

Sleet That Falls On Frozen Flower (Sleetfall the Yellow Eraser)
Sleet That Falls On Frozen Flower (Sleetfall the Yellow Eraser)
October 31, 2017 1:59 pm

I’m Chinese, too!

Mistypaw loves Winterwatcher (and wished that it was canon)
Mistypaw loves Winterwatcher (and wished that it was canon)
October 31, 2017 2:54 pm

You’re Chinese?

Willowstep (Wistep)
Willowstep (Wistep)
November 2, 2017 6:41 am

I’m an ABC! 😛

~friends will be friends~

Duskpaw
Duskpaw
October 31, 2017 1:23 am

That’s probably how I’ll feel when my first article is published. 😛 it’s not cringy, don’t worry

Spooky Sky
Spooky Sky
October 31, 2017 1:16 am

Halloween is tomorrow for me. 😉

Anyways, great article, Dawn! I believe that Millie was justified to pay attention to Briarlight, but not to scream and freak out at her other kits.

You've Caught a Wild Sparky! (Sparktooth)
You've Caught a Wild Sparky! (Sparktooth)
October 31, 2017 2:04 am

Great article! Millie is one of my personal favorite characters, and I feel she had a right to pay attention to Briarlight. Does that mean she was 100% free to do everything that she did? No. But I feel a lot of sympathy for Millie and I’ve been trying to convince other fans to rethink their opinion on her. Nice job! 😀

Never. Stop. Creating.

Sorrelpaw [Sorrelstream] aka Sorzi
Sorrelpaw [Sorrelstream] aka Sorzi
October 31, 2017 7:35 am

ER good article 😛

Too lazy to argue right now 😛

Sorzi (爱猫者)
Not coincidence

Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
October 31, 2017 10:59 am

This was a very balanced out article! I think that it was very good 🙂

Click the name, join the Clan!

Lionpaw (Lionfire)
Lionpaw (Lionfire)
October 31, 2017 11:35 am

Whoo! Great first article! 😀 I agree! 😀 Millie is a kinda bad parent. 🙂 <3

Sky
Sky
November 1, 2017 2:24 am

Truth is is that Millie shouldn’t have flamed off at all.

Snow On Easter Morning (Snowystorm)
Snow On Easter Morning (Snowystorm)
March 28, 2018 1:54 am

I think that Millie should have at least noticed Blossomfall when she did good things rather than just yelling at her whenever she made a mistake.
yes, Millie did not what to see Brairlight injured and was just worried about her but she got angry at other people to even Jayfeather who was explaining Brairlight wouldn’t walk again but wouldn’t die either.
Briarlight didn’t even want all the attention and Millie always seemed to make her feel worse anyway. Millie could have spent her time with Blossomfall helping to balance out the love

Greyfoot
Greyfoot
July 29, 2018 9:56 am

One of the main reasons people hate Millie is because of her kits which this article kinda makes a better argument rather than give your child who is an adult who is perfectly fine some attention? And the second point is ‘replacing’ silverstream but it in the first book (I think) of Greystripe’s manga series silverstream says to greystipe go and do as your heart desires. (Millie can come on this journey) ik these aren’t the actual words but something similar

Coral
Coral
October 3, 2018 11:08 pm
Reply to  Greyfoot

Everybody wants to be noticed and loved. Love is a basic need. Would you like to go through life with a family that doesn’t acknowledge your existence? How would you feel if you came home limping with a bad head injury and everybody yelled at you?

People who dislike Millie aren’t asking for her to treat Blossomfall like a kit, but like a clanmate. Throughout Warriors we see clan cats taking caring of their clanmates. Fully grown warriors are often seen sharing-tongues. In Bramblestar’s Storm Brightheart and Cinderheart look out for each other. Firestar gives Dustpelt emotional support when his kits die in Warriors: New Prophecy. They acknowledge one another and check in with each other. Sorreltail makes Dustpelt see Leafpool in Warriors: Power of Three because he has a cough.

Millie is apathetic when Blossomfall is sick or injured.

Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown
October 3, 2018 10:57 pm

I disagree with you. Millie was apathetic when Hazeltail told her that Blossomfall looked ill. She didn’t even acknowledge her daughter. Most people would be concerned if a family looked ill. Whitewing notices when both Ivypool and Dovewing looked sick. Daisy was concerned when Mousewhisker got belly ache. Generally, clanmates care about each others well being. In Bramblestar’s storm Brightheart and Cinderheart look out for each other. Graystripe and Firestar took care of each other throughout the first series. Longtail gave most of his food to Mousefur when food was scarce. Cinderpelt gave Brightheart emotional support when Cloudtail was fussing over Daisy. Frostfur didn’t neglect her other children when Cinderpaw was brought back to camp close to death.

Millie was out of line when she berated Blossomfall in font of the Clan. Number one, she had no idea how Blossomfall and Ivypool spent the morning. Millie was in camp there was no way she would know what they did all morning. Millie doesn’t acknowledge that Blossomfall is hurt. She is limping and has a nasty wound on her head!! Who wouldn’t acknowledge that ? Who yells at a family member that came home hurt? If one of the adults in your family when missing for hours and came home hurt would you yell at them?

There is a difference between justified discipline and maltreatment. What Millie did falls in the later. “Her tail-tip was twitching in annoyance. Wow Ivypool thought, feeling a pang of guilt that Whitewing had been so kind and sympathetic to her. Millie really does think she’s got one kit now. ‘Where have you been?’ Millie snapped. ‘You’ve wasted a whole morning when you could have been hunting!’ Glancing back at Briarlight…she added, ‘Your sister would give anything to be able to help feed the Clan! It’s time you grew up, Blossomfall, and started acting like a proper warrior.’ Several cats stretched their eyes wide. ‘There’s no harm done,’ Brackenfur meowed, blinking at Blossomfall in concern. ‘Both cats are home safe, and that’s the main thing isn’t it?’ ‘Is it?’ Millie drew her lips back in a snarl. Her eyes were full of bitterness…”(Hunter 254-255). -Warriors: Omen of the Stars: Sign of the Moon.
It comes off that Millie is mad at Blossomfall for being healthy while Briarlight is sick. Also she humiliates her in front of the clan. This is a red flag, humiliation is a sign of verbal abuse. From Millie’s words it comes off that she views Blossomfall as an object not a family member. We also see in her body language that she does not care about daughter. Millie treated Blossomfall the way Mr.Dursley treats Harry Potter. Like a problem or a parasite. Compare the way Millie yelled at Blossomfall to the way Mufasa scolded Simba.
When Mufasa scolds Simba it is done privately, he is angry; but he doesn’t snap or belittle his son. Mufasa’s scolding focuses on the fact that Simba put himself in danger and it was followed up with Mufasa telling his son that he loved him. Nothing in what Millie said to Blossomfall expresses concern for her daughter’s well-being.

I also have to point out that Blossomfall is an adult child. Parents do not yell at adult children, that is disrespectful and degrading. It is Firestar’s place to punish warriors not Millie’s.

In Bramblestar’s Storm, Millie gives support to the kittypets and loners taking shelter with the clan. What is stopping her from giving this type support to Bumblestripe and Blossomfall?

Dawnpaw (Shining Dawn)
Dawnpaw (Shining Dawn)
September 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Ok! So, I wanted to confirm that I am not this Dawnpaw. I am new, and do not post articles! That is why I added on to my name! Nice article btw

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch