Why Ivypool and Dovewing Cannot be the Third Cat by Sky

Sky debates whether or not Dove and Ivy were the true third cats.

Artwork by Blazedestroyed

Hey, BlogClanners! Hope you’re having a great day.

If you’re like me, you probably consider every part of warriors. You think in the brains of each cat and try to understand them. You think about why things happened. And you count generations.

Here’s a few reasons why Ivypool and Dovewing cannot be the third cat.

MAIN REASON:

Cloudtail = Kin of Firestar
Whitewing = Kin of Firestar’s kin
Dove and Ivy = Kin of the kin of Firestar’s kin

See? The prophecy says, “Kin of your kin,” not “Kin of the kin of your kin.” This means that Dovewing and Ivypool simply cannot be the third cat.

I guess that, somehow, the Erins lost count of generations or kin or something? I can’t say what they were doing myself.

Maybe it’s because of age, and the new third cat has to be of the same generation as Lionblaze and Jayfeather. As in, Whitewing would be too old. It’s also possible that this was to test readers’ reading skills? I don’t really know.

Anyways, here are some individual reasons:

DOVEWING –

She couldn’t handle ANYTHING. At all. She complained NO MATTER WHAT.

“Oh no! I have powers! Nuuu, nuuu…. i cannot handle this!”

Later…… “I’M BLIND AND DEAF HALPP”

Okay, maybe I overdid it a bit. Okay, a medium lot. But you get the point.

Hey, she was okay in the prophecy(I guess). But she really couldn’t have been in it.

IVYPOOL –

She was awesome as a spy – brave and loyal. Being in the prophecy would have made her, overall, less interesting and complex. Plus, who needs a prophecy when you’re a spy? XD Seriously, wouldn’t it kinda be… ruining….. if Ivypool was in the prophecy? We’d probably like her a lot less. Then again, one has to wonder what may have happened….. Haha, that’s a topic for some other people for another day.

Add on to that the fact that not being in the prophecy shaped her character a lot. And we wouldn’t have a spy if she was in the prophecy… we also would [probably] see the Clans crumble underneath the DF because they didn’t know anything.

So, there concludes my article. Please don’t flame or yell(too loud ;)), but I am open to debate. 😀

Thanks for reading!

Fan Articles

Bramblefire
Bramblefire
December 10, 2017 12:21 am

Hmm, I’ve thought the same several times, but I guess you get what you get. Ivypool was better as a spy in my opinion and Dovewing deserved a background character role. Whitewing would have been interesting as a third cat. Oh well.

Crookedjaw II who is singing festive songs
Crookedjaw II who is singing festive songs
December 10, 2017 12:24 am

I loved your article!

Sky of Autumn Leaves
Sky of Autumn Leaves
December 10, 2017 12:50 am

Yay me! XD

Waiting Impatiently for the Dawn of January 16 (Dawnpaw/Dawnbringer)
Waiting Impatiently for the Dawn of January 16 (Dawnpaw/Dawnbringer)
December 10, 2017 12:57 am

I agree on Ivypool, but not on Dovewing.

To be honest I have no idea why people don’t like Dovewing. Dovewing’s and Ivypool’s personalities are completely different. Dovewing spent her whole life having the power. She didn’t want that power in the first place. She just wanted to be a normal cat. Ivypool, on the other hand, wanted attention. She would have wanted that power. As I said, Dovewing spent her life with that power not wanting it. But she stuck up with it and just lived with it. After she finally got used to the power, it was taken away from her. Adaptation is really hard. It’s just like if you became blind when you are 20. After using your eyesight for 20 years, it is hard to get used only being able to see darkness. If you want to compare it to Jayfeather, Jayfeather doesn’t even need his powers to do his medicine cat duties. Dovewing had always used her abilities to hunt/fight. If you were blind, it would be hard to go to school and work (if you started working by 20 years old). While Dovewing did complain, she had any right to complain about it.

♡ 𝕄𝕠𝕠𝕟 (𝕄𝕠𝕠𝕟𝕓𝕣𝕖𝕖𝕫𝕖) - Moon of Silver Winter Sky (she/her) ♡
♡ 𝕄𝕠𝕠𝕟 (𝕄𝕠𝕠𝕟𝕓𝕣𝕖𝕖𝕫𝕖) - Moon of Silver Winter Sky (she/her) ♡
December 10, 2017 1:06 am

I love that picture! And the article, of course. Ivypool is the best!

Jazzkit (KitCat)
Jazzkit (KitCat)
December 10, 2017 1:34 am

cool article 😀

Sky
Sky
December 10, 2017 3:57 am

NOTE – I DO NOT DISLIKE DOVEWING. I WAS POITNING OUT HER INABILITY.

Jaysnow the Snowman
Jaysnow the Snowman
December 10, 2017 5:52 am

Interesting article. I don’t mind Dovewing a whole lot, but I would have preferred Hollyleaf was the third cat, as originally planned.

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
December 10, 2017 6:26 am

I do not intend to argue with you since I actually agree! 🙂 I honestly never really liked either of them. At first, before I read OotS, I spoiled a bit for myself and learned that Ivypool was always so jealous and Dovewing was trying to show that she still loved her, so I automatically thought that I’d like Dovewing more. Um well it turns out I don’t and I don’t like Ivypool either (well, I like her but not as much as other cats let’s say; however I LOVE her name and fursona). I really wanted Hollyleaf to be one of the Three but I’m glad she wasn’t cause it shaped her into the awesome cat she was later (RIP my dear Hollyleaf).

For the prophecy, idk but Whitewing is Firestar’s kin either way and so are Dove and Ivy. They don’t have to be the exact “kin of your kin.” It probably just meant that Firestar’s kin is out there somewhere and however many generations that have to happen, they are all still his kin and three of them will be the Three either way however long it takes. The prophecy never really bothered me (IT’S THE FREAKING EYE COLORS 😛😂 LOL) so….

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
December 10, 2017 5:10 pm

really great Sky! keep on writing!

Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
Brightwing - Bright Wing Of Mountain Bluebird
December 14, 2017 8:44 pm

What I think the prophecy meant was, it definitely wasn’t the direct kin of Firestar, but any other kin from after that. So, Whitewing is still Firestar’s kin even if she is only through her parents. If that makes sense 🙂

Interesting points made though – the series would have completely changed had anther cat been in the prophecy. I personally liked how it was, with Ivypool being the ‘left out’ one and Dovewing being the one who had to struggle through it all. Nice article Sky!

graywing
graywing
January 31, 2018 3:08 am

I agree with you sky

Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢
Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢
July 9, 2020 8:35 pm

I really love Dovewing, and I think she’s totally perfect being the Third cat. 😀
Turtle 🐢