Nightcloud and Reedshine; lifetimes apart yet still so simililar, by Loudfern

Loudfern compares Nightcloud and Reedshine.

Art by Fernyfeline

Hello everybody and welcome to my second article where I will be discussing the similarities between Nightcloud and Reedshine and also give a few personal opinions on them.

I’ll start with Reedshine. We are first introduced to her when she’s at a gathering with Appledusk and Mapleshade is obviously annoyed at her for being so close to her mate. Personally, because of Mapleshade’s immediate dislike towards her, my first reaction was to hate on Reedshine. And I did. And when Reedshine started expecting Appledusk’s kits, I was infuriated at her; I was disappointed when Mapleshade didn’t kill her.

Then, I met Leafpool and Crowfeather and omg did my heart flip. I loved them together I was (and still am) a massive Leaf x Crow supporter. Then all the stuff happened and we were introduced to Nightcloud. And because I was still such a supporter of Leafpool and Crowfeather, I started hating on Nightcloud.

BUT! Then I realised that Nightcloud actually loved Crowfeather and hoped that they would have a happy future together. For a while, she thought that Crowfeather loved her back. But he didn’t. And we all just have to stop and think here, “how would I feel if the person I thought was my true love was only using me to prove his loyalty?” To be honest, Nightcloud doesn’t nearly get enough of a say on how she feels. We all just seem to jump to conclusions that she’s a (you-know-what) who has nothing better to do than to hate on Leafpool. However, when Nightcloud is first introduced, she spends a whole night with Leafpool and shows not a bit of hostility. Jealousy, yes, but hate? No.

So after my sudden change of attitude towards Nightcloud, I realised that Reedshine pretty much suffered the same thing. I don’t know if there is much hate towards her in the fandom but if there is, I believe that the only reason she is getting it, is because Appledusk chose her over Mapleshade. But let’s think about this for a second.

Nightcloud and Reedshine both:
1. Loved a cat INSIDE their OWN Clan.
And 2. Had kits with a cat INSIDE their OWN Clan.

Neither of them broke the Warrior Code. And you can hardly blame them for Crowfeather and Appledusk’s previous mistakes. If we had their side of the story, we’d all see that their probably decent cats.

Think of it like this, it’s kinda like if people started hating on Cinderheart because she had kits with Lionblaze when we know that Lionblaze originally liked Heathertail. But because Cinderheart is already a significant character and we already have a lot of background information on her, we know her side of the story and we don’t hate on her.

To conclude, for two cats we don’t know an awful lot about (only that they want a happy future with their mates and kits) any hate that they get sure is EXTREMELY unnecessary.

Fan Articles

Spottedheart
Spottedheart
February 27, 2018 12:02 am

Nice article! Lots of good points!

*~Irismist~* (Iris)
February 27, 2018 12:40 am

You actually have a really good point!! You know, I’ve always really hated Nightcloud, but I get what you mean and actually think that she isn’t that bad 🙂 Also, you notice how in that book in the Power of Three that I don’t feel like looking up were Jayfeather sees Lionblaze (I think he was Lionpaw then) and Breezepelt suffocating under the dirt, how Nightcloud was comforting and motherly toward both Lionpaw and Breezepaw, even though Lionpaw wasn’t his son. I don’t think she knew about LeafxCrow yet, but still 🙂
Althougether, this is a spectacular article Loudy! 😀

Shadowfate
February 27, 2018 12:54 am

I really like your points on Reedshine, but I have to disagree with your assessment of Nightcloud. I don’t think she ever deluded herself into believing Crowfeather loved her, because every cat in her Clan knew that he’d run away with Leafpool, it was a very big scandal. So she knew full-well that he was in love with Leafpool when she took him as her mate. If anything, I think it was her who took advantage of Crowfeather.
She’s an older warrior who sees Crowfeather, who is heartbroken, and disgraced and used him because she wanted a family of her own. Because at this point, Crowfeather is barely a warrior, and he’s had not one, but two devastating heartbreaks, and now is left with nothing, not even the respect of his Clan.
There’s no way Nightcloud didn’t know exactly what she was doing when she signed up to be this emotional wreak’s mate.

Foxtail (Foxie)
February 27, 2018 12:59 am

YES! I totally agree with you! Finally, someone besides me who doesn’t hate Nightcloud 😀 (though I think you knew I didn’t hate her cause of my entry for Sunny’s fanfic contest that you read I think. I am quite proud of it and as a matter of fact in writing it I actually changed my own opinion on her, haha)
Great points, Loudfern! 👍🏽

🍀 Cheetahspark 🍀
February 27, 2018 1:32 am

Wow those are really good points 🙂

Sky
February 27, 2018 1:47 am

HOW did Reedshine “suffer” what Nightcloud did? She had a tom who loved her straight back and a perfect life and thought taunting Mapleshade – a queen who had lost everything and then all that benefited Reedshine – was STILL a good idea.

Also, Nightcloud made a choice. She didn’t follow Moonflower’s example and let it be, she decided to turn her kit into a spoiled brat and monster.

Spidersong
February 27, 2018 5:29 am

Great article, Loudy! I’ve always hated both Reedshine and Nightcloud but I feel like I understand them a little better now 🙂

Willowstep (Wistep)
February 27, 2018 5:53 am

I agree, Loudy! Great article! 🙂

Loudfern
February 27, 2018 7:23 am

Lel second article.

I’d like to point out that I reread Omen of the Stars after this and realised Nightcloud does become a bit of a 🤬(great emoji :P) but I just think it was because she wanted revenge on Crowfeather for hurting her.

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
February 27, 2018 9:18 am

Nice article 😺! Personally, I don’t like both Reedshine and Nightcloud, but I also feel bad for Nightcloud slightly. The main difference was Appledusk DID love Reedshine, but Nightcloud was just a tool to Crowfeather.

Blackleaf
February 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Amazing article very amazing points great job🐱

Galaxyflight
February 27, 2018 7:56 pm

I agree! We hate them WAY too much, but they truly loved their mates.

StormSpark