What If Spottedleaf Survived Through The First Series? by Spottedheart

Spottedheart wonders how things might’ve changed if the very first medicine cat introduced in the original arc survived her deadly encounter.

Official art by Wayne McLoughlin

We all know that Spottedleaf, Firestar’s first love, died in the first book, but what if she survived through the whole series? Would Spottedleaf break the warrior code to be with Firestar? (Now I know he was still an apprentice, but for the sake of sanity, I’m going to keep it like that so I won’t go insane trying to find a timeline of Firestar’s names). Will Spottedleaf just be friends with Firestar? What would Sandstorm think? Does Spottedleaf just like Firestar from his involvement in prophecies? I feel like this is going to be a long article!

So let’s get the background story straight. Mudclaw comes to get the kits, Spottedleaf tries to protect them, Clawface knocks her out but does NOT kill her, and escapes with the kits. Yellowfang and her patrol retrieve the kits, and Yellowfang helps Spottedleaf recover. Okay, so now Spottedleaf has been saved. Hooray!! *Spottedheart jumps up and down on his chair somehow, overjoyed with the fact that Spottedleaf is alive!*

But… Before I even start, I’m going to address the fans that think that someone who is old enough to be Firestar’s mother should be his mate his strange isn’t Spottedleaf’s fault. Her mentor Thistleclaw caused all of those issues. (See the novella about Spottedleaf, Spottedleaf’s Heart). This is also most likely why Spottedleaf isn’t affected by going into the Dark Forest.

Okay, so the first question for me is: Would Spottedleaf break the warrior code to be with Firestar? I don’t really know. Spottedleaf admitted that she loved Firestar after death, but maybe she was too shy to ask while she was on earth? If neither of them knew that the other liked them, then it would go nowhere and Sandstorm would take Firestar’s heart. But, Spottedleaf wouldn’t be the first or last cat to break the code and have kits, (Yellowfang, Leafpool etc.). So I think that Spottedleaf and Firestar may have kits, but I don’t think it would be too secretive. Spottedleaf may just give up being a medicine cat just to be with Firestar. Firestar is described as a handsome tom, so… ( Also, Spottedleaf was given some warrior training from Thistleclaw, It couldn’t be too hard for her to switch occupations when there is Yellowfang and possibly Cinderpelt by then).

Next question! Would Spottedleaf just stay as a close friend with Firestar? This is hard for me to answer. Spottedleaf obviously really like Firestar if she would always appear in his dreams, and always help anyone important to Firestar (Jayfeather rather often, Sandstorm in Firestar’s quest, Leafpool all the time). So for her to just want to be friends seems highly unlikely. But, on the other side of the table, Spottedleaf does not seem like a cat that will break the warrior code without even blinking. She seems like the type of cat that will think long and hard about whether she wants to break everything that the clans believe in. I think in the end, Spottedleaf would wait a few moons and then go to be with Firestar.

One of the more interesting questions: What would Sandstorm think? Okay, don’t get me wrong, I love Sandstorm and Firestar, they each care for eachother, but… let’s be honest. Sandstorm made fun of Firestar in the first to books. It was only after Firestar saved her life that Sandstorm started to respect Firestar, and by then he would already be a highly favourable cat from Bluestar. By then, he was already a warrior and requested Bluestar to have both Dustpaw and Sandpaw receive their warrior names. Sandstorm only liked him after that. Interesting. Anyways, by then, Firestar would be happy with Spottedleaf, and either Sandstorm will try to fight for Firestar, or she will let them be and find another mate. So in conclusion, I don’t think that Sandstorm will be bothered by their relationship.

My final question is: Did Spottedleaf really like Firestar for his personality, or was is just that Firestar was the fire that will save the clans and that he would be leader? We will never know for sure, but I would absolutely LOVE it that Spottedleaf truly loved Firestar, which is the most likely outcome.

Now I don’t even know the point of this article (Besides keeping the memory of Spottedleaf fresh and slowly stopping my depression of the loss of Spottedleaf forever), but in conclusion, everybody would be okay with Firestar and Spottedleaf being together happily ever after. The end!

Until next time, may StarClan light your path.

Fan Articles

Notify of
Sky
Sky
June 16, 2018 12:25 am

I honestly actually agree with you. XD this probably would have all happened. My only disagreement is that I think that Spottedleaf would have forgotten all of that training so I actuly think that she would have become a medicine cat with kits. At that point in her life, she would be too old to easily learn lots of new stuff and she was an extremely respected medicine cat so I don’t exactly see why it’s too farfetched to think that she could be accepted as a queen and medicine cat…

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
June 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Hmm… I can’t imagine Spottedleaf being with Firestar, That would change the whole history of Warriors 😛
Nice article! 🙂

thats not very plus ultra of u

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Stormpaw)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Stormpaw)
August 17, 2020 8:31 pm

True. There would be no power of three, no omen of stars…

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
June 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Great article 😆! I wouldn’t mind if Spottedleaf and Firestar became mate. Maybe when that happened, Sandstorm would become mates with Dustpelt 😺.

!!Running for senior warrior!!

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
June 24, 2018 5:27 am

But what about Dustpelt x Ferncloud? 🙁 But I think SandxDust would be great too. But still. FernxDust was so cute. ❤️

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Stormpaw)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Stormpaw)
August 17, 2020 8:30 pm

No way! Sandstorm belongs with Firestar, end of story.

No hate-

Bluebell the Floating Shopping List
Bluebell the Floating Shopping List
June 17, 2018 4:20 pm

very cool interesting article 😀

smitty werbenjägermanjensen

Fluffytail
Fluffytail
June 19, 2018 12:51 am

May Starclan light your path, always, Spottedheart!

Spottedspirit
Spottedspirit
June 20, 2018 8:04 pm

I might write a blogfic about her surviving and training Cinderpelt….yeah. I think I will.
Great article, Spottedheart! May Starclan light your path.

Aha
Aha
May 12, 2019 8:15 pm

I don’t agree with a lot of things here so I’m here to share my opinion. She most likely wouldn’t have broken the code. Also, they weren’t in love. They were in infatuation, and they most likely wouldn’t have lasted if they did get together.

Of Course, no hate. Good article!

Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢
Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢
May 21, 2020 8:57 pm

If Spottedleaf had lived, I think she and Firestar probably would have had a romantic relationship, and become mates.

However, since I also really like FireXSand, I’m happy with the way things turned out.
I still love FireXSpotted though.
KananXHera forever ❤️

Orchidbreeze
Orchidbreeze
May 26, 2020 12:20 am

Spottedleaf barely knew him, and only loved him after death. And NO, Sandstorm did not ONLY love him for his rank. It was confirmed she HATED when he was deputy/leader, because it changed a lot of things. Spottedleaf and Firestar just wouldn’t have worked out, and the authors actually prefer SandFire to the other relationships Firestar has. Firestar only seemed remotely interested in Spottedleaf when she died, and Spottedleaf even stated she wouldn’t break the code. No hate tho.

Firestorm
Firestorm
June 17, 2020 11:45 am

Umm. NO! Spottedleaf is my least favorite character, and I would rather eat 10 buckets of CROW-FOOD, stuff my ears with moss, bury my head under FREEZING water than hear how ‘good’ and ‘cute’ or how ‘perfect’ she is. To me, she is just a mary-sue material. Pure MARY-SUE. No hate, Spottedheart, but I strongly disagree with this!
Anyway, this is a good article, Spottedheart. Even though I know that no defense article would change my mind, this is a good article, and it makes some sense. EXCEPT for the part where Sandstorm wouldn’t be bothered. Of course she would be bothered!

ScarPelt
ScarPelt
July 4, 2020 6:43 pm
Reply to  Firestorm

No spottedleaf is fine… u gotta admire her…. DON’T U

ScarPelt
ScarPelt
July 4, 2020 6:42 pm

clawface… notmudclaw

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Stormpaw)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Stormpaw)
August 17, 2020 8:21 pm

I do like Spottedleaf, but I don’t like how Firestar always acted like he loved her more than Sandstorm. Sandstorm is also a very good character and I wish she had been made deputy, eventually leader, so I think it was a good thing Spottedleaf died, and it was mentioned that that was her destiny, because Firestar was supposed to be with Sandstorm, and I think Spottedleaf would have broken the warrior code to be with him and that she loved him for who he truly was. I do not see her being that kind of cat that only liked Firestar because he was part of a prophecy. And cats can develop feelings for someone after they do something for them. I do not think it means that Sandstorm is a bad mate at all.
-And not trying to get into my personal business, but I started to like someone only after I learned that he liked me. Before that I never noticed him, lol

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch