Analyzing The Relationship of Crowfeather and Leafpool by Foxpaw

Foxpaw takes a look at Crowfeather and Leafpool’s relationship.

Art by DarkBroken

Hello, BlogClan! My name is Foxpaw and I’m here with a new article (*cough*it’sbeenalongtime*cough*)! This article is about the ever so complicated relationship of Crowfeather, WindClan deputy, and Leafpool, ThunderClan medicine cat. Here I will be analyzing the pros and cons and my personal opinion of this forbidden romance.

Let’s start off with the book Starlight – where the romance started. Crowfeather appears to still be grieving for his lost love, Feathertail. He is torn apart with his loyalty to his Clan and his feelings for the late RiverClan warrior. And to top it all off, he starts developing feelings for ThunderClan’s medicine cat apprentice, Leafpaw, who reminded him so much of Feathertail. This makes him feel awful as not only is he betraying his Clan more, but he moved on so quickly from the cat he thought he would love forever. He tries so hard to avoid this – his feelings for Leafpool – but he never quite manages it and what with Feathertail telling him to let go of his grief and live in the present, he stops refusing his feelings. When Leafpool was about to fall, Crowfeather saw the chance to start over – to love a cat with all the love he had in his heart, the love that he didn’t get the chance to spend with Feathertail. He saved Leafpool and confessed his feelings to her.

Now Leafpool, who had pitied Crowfeather for grief of Feathertail, couldn’t exactly believe his confession. But she accepted it – and it made her happy! Why? Well, for the past few chapters, she coincidentally started noticing how happy couples were and she started envying the future she gave up at the start. Now Crowfeather gives her the chance when she so wanted it. Before she could tamp down her feelings and realize what was most important. He confused her and despite what she was taught, she said yes.

This is a key point of their relationship. What was so special about Crowfeather that Leafpool would give up her passion since childhood for, something she worked so hard for? What did she see in him? What was it about him that she wanted him so much? You may disagree with me on this, but I believe the only thing that initiated this was because Leafpool was going through and adolescent phase, and she was confused with whether she wanted the path she had chosen or not. Crowfeather, who fell in love with her, ultimately pushed her into the wrong direction. How I see it is that Leafpool didn’t love Crowfeather – she loved the idea of being with someone. She loved the idea of rebelling, of having a cat look at her like no cat ever would. She wanted happiness and she thought it only lay in a mate and kits. She was blind to the truth and Crowfeather pushed her into a dark tunnel for it.

That being said, what about Crowfeather? Did he love Leafpool? I think he was more of an improvement because he saw her for her personality but was it just because her personality was so much like Feathertail’s? Did he ever like Leafpool for Leafpool, or did he love her for being Feathertail 2.0? I believe the latter. I guess the reason why the two of them clicked is because Leafpool wanted him for the opportunities he’d give her and Crowfeather loved her for her personality. They wanted in another what the other didn’t care about in this attraction they call love. Crowfeather actually dreaded the opportunity of being with her since he cared about his Clan and they wouldn’t approve. Leafpool saw nothing of his personality, took no note of it, and to this day, I think she didn’t care at all.

So then they run away but they hear of what happened to ThunderClan. Leafpool’s loyalty brings her back and Crowfeather reluctantly lets her go. They cut things off in Sunset, much to both’s despair. I think Leafpool at this point really loved him and wanted to be with him but she was stuck since ThunderClan needed her more than ever. Crowfeather, I assume, went back to a bunch of hostile faces and a reputation that could be compared to crow-food (haha) being smothered by maggots (I’m sorry). Basically, Crowfeather is crow-food (yes, I will never get sick of this c;).

In Leafpool’s Wish and After Sunset: We Need To Talk, we learn that Leafpool is having kits. So they went too far…And now they’re parents. In Leafpool’s Wish, despite being the one to propose ending their relationship, Crowfeather finds Leafpool near their Clan border. He kinda sorta flirts with her and she, being weighed down by the burden of carrying kits and not knowing what to do, sends him away harshly. This did break my heart, fyi, but it is true that Crowfeather ruined everything. Heck, she could be a happy doctor kitty doing what she loves 24/7 and then he waltzes in, destroys both their reputations and leaves her pregnant on his way out the door. And now he’s ringing the diddly darn doorbell. If I was Leafpool, I would’ve done the same thing.

But in After Sunset, Leafpool knows that he has a right to know about his children so she finds him only to have him mention his new wife and their son. How did that happen so fast? “Nightcloud had my kits last moon.” Um, shouldn’t queens be pregnant for only 2-3 moons? However this happened, it seems most likely that Nightcloud was expecting the same time Leafpool was. Anyone remember when Crowfeather left his patrol to talk to the pregnant Leafpool. Something kind of confusing is why Nightcloud is on the patrol. Do queens go on patrol? She was probably in the early stage of pregnancy if that was true or it was an inconsistency on the Erins’ part. But based on canon timeline, they must have been expecting at the same time of Nightcloud kitted “last moon”. Whatever the truth is, I’m still disgusted in Crowfeather for attempting to continue his ex-relationship with Leafpool when he literally just moved on. Adultery, much? You can’t switch between she-cats, Crowfeather. That’s not how it works.

In Power Of Three, we can see how lovely a brat Crowfeather and Nightcloud produced. His two families don’t really get along, as we can see. We can see him making snide remarks at his relationship with Leafpool and saying so in a way that insults Leafpool. He hurts her like this several times throughout the books with final showdown in Sunrise where he announces to the Clans that she means nothing to him or and disowns their kits. Leafpool accepts this quietly.

This is where I hate Crowfeather the most. Why should Leafpool suffer because he just couldn’t keep away? Because his feelings and grief got the better of him, he convinced her to abandon her Clan and when she was pregnant, lost, and afraid, he rejected her! Yes, he didn’t know but he didn’t give here a chance to tell him. He just walked off, pretended to forget she ever existed, and got together with someone, just like that. It made me feel like…What? He can’t just ruin her life and walk away with all the glory! He can’t leave her to suffer like that! Yes, this was a mistake on both of their parts, but if he truly loved her (he didn’t), he would’ve helped her up instead of pushing her down and running off with another girl! This reminds me of cheating in real life, and this just makes me so angry.

Before I give off the impression that I hate this ship (I already did, oh my god), I have to admit, they were sweet. They were adorable, and I don’t like admitting it, but I did wish they succeeded in eloping. Because if ThunderClan needed another medicine cat, couldn’t StarClan train another cat? ShadowClan and the situation with Puddleshine shows us it’s been done before. Alas, the Power of Three prophecy stops them anyways. If they hadn’t come back, the Clans would’ve been ultimately crushed and gone nearly extinct, if we are assuming the worst. (Of course, maybe history would repeat itself and a savior from SkyClan would come over and rebuild the Clans, but we can save all of this to need to happen, right?). Also, I would be surprised if they didn’t come back (even just to visit) sooner or later. They love their Clans and kin too much. Crowfeather has a mother, Leafpool has her parents and sisteer and mentor and friends. They couldn’t stay away that long and maybe they would choose to come back and stay anyways.

However, the fact that their reasons for wanting each other was so ridiculously cheesy (excuse my lanuage, please) and that there are so many things that wouldn’t have went wrong had they stopped it from happening, makes me wish this ship had never happened. It could’ve saved so much pain. But, of course, there’s that fact that Lionblaze and Jayfeather absolutely needed to be born, and the Clans would all be crushed without them. StarClan, I believe, was pushing for it to happen but wanted it to be prevented all at the same time. They were eternally grateful for the edgy badgers, and I guess we readers are too because without them, we wouldn’t have Power of Three and Omen of the Stars and A Vision of Shadows.

Three cheers for the edgy badgers!

That was a nice way to end an article. Merp.

♡ Foxpaw

Fan Articles

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
July 1, 2018 12:59 am

Great article! 😀 I would write more, but I basically just agree with everything, so… Good job! 😛

Bramblefire
Bramblefire
July 1, 2018 1:41 am

Honestly, I kinda wish they succeeded in leaving too. Raising their kits outside the Clans and living kinda like Ravenpaw and Barley where they would see the Clans every now and then and visit sometimes. Maybe their kits take interest in the Clans when they are older and join the Clans, but Crowfeather and Leafpool have been nice and welcoming to all Clans in need of help (maybe) so the kits are shamed as much that way Power of Three can kinda still happen? Then Crowfeather and Leafpool fight for the Clans in The Last Hope? I don’t know. Just what I would’ve liked. Anyways, great article, I love the analysis and depth of your article. 🙂

Stormberry The Very Stormy Berry
Stormberry The Very Stormy Berry
July 1, 2018 1:45 am

I do not agree with this…. I believe that Crowfeather and Leafpool truly loved each other

Sky
Sky
July 1, 2018 4:18 am

I don’t agree with this at all.

So first off, “adolescent period???” Just because you’re in a “moody,” or “confused” period for most people DOES NOT mean that you’re going to make some huge life choices, honey. Throughout the books, Leafpool is shown to be a smart, calm cat who wouldn’t fly off the handle or make life-changing decisions in the spur of a moment. Leafpool was definitely grown up enough to know what she was doing and so was Crowfeather. If Leafpool just wanted a mate or something, she wouldn’t have accepted Crowfeather’s declaration of love, she would choose a safer path instead!!! Leafpool is the type of cat who would choose a safer option. So unless she really felt love for Crowfeather, she would have turned him down.

WHY do people assume that Leafpool was Feathertail 2.0 for Crowfeather??? At least they weren’t “OMG she is pretty and nice let’s hook up” like CrowXFeather was!! The only part of what you said that I agreed on was that Crowfeather loved Leafpool for personality reasons. They didn’t just hook up out of no where.

Moving on to another point: LeafXCrow was just so darn cute, okay? If you can put everything prejudice-based behind you and just look at their relationship, it’s one of the sweetest ones around. Crowfeather really struggled with his feelings of betraying Feathertail in a way and yet he still admits love for Leafpool. And Leafpool, calm, clever, safe Leafpool, does so many things with him. Every single scene that they were it together literally exploded with general cuteness for me. I know that you mentioned this but I have to reinforce this point.

Last thing: Crowfeather did love Leafpool, and she DID love him! I will fight with someone on that point.

One more thing: Leafpool and Crowfeather were happy together, please do not try to deny that because it’s true. Leafpool was the only mate of Crowfeather’s whom he loved deeply and felt true love and happiness with, and Leafpool and Crowfeather really could have worked had things been different.

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
July 1, 2018 5:36 am

Wow this article was amazing!! 😍 So much depth to it and I love all this analyzation and heart you put into it. I agree with you but at the same time I agree with Sky and other people. I have a love-hate problem with this ship, lol. I honestly don’t really know if they really loved each other or not. All I know and care about is that it was painful, very adorable, sweet, and super annoying. 😛 CrowxLeaf is a complicated (and debated) relationship, that’s for sure.

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
July 1, 2018 4:40 pm

Really a great article 😆! I agree with all parts! After reading this, I understand more why Leafpool and Crowfeather would “fall in love” (it remained confusing to me for a long time until now 😛). My attitude toward this ship is between neutral and sink, mostly because the confusion in it and Crowfeather’s attitude towards Leafpool after she’s pregnant. I do enjoy M.A.P.s and fanarts about the ship, but I always think Leaf×Crow can’t work well, as to me, the only one Crowfeather would care about is Feathertail (though I don’t ship them much either 😛).

Emberpaw The Great
Emberpaw The Great
July 1, 2018 5:25 pm

This is a really great article! I don’t agree with some of the stuff, but I ABSOLUTELY agree that Leafpool and Crowfeather should have just left the clans together. They could have their own mangas and stuff! *sighs* But then the Clans would die…….

Lily that grows in Whispering Cave (Lilypaw of SkyClan)
Lily that grows in Whispering Cave (Lilypaw of SkyClan)
July 1, 2018 6:57 pm

I love LeafXCrow, but some of these points seem valid! Awesome article!

Lilacpaw/frost - Li
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
July 1, 2018 7:36 pm

I agree except for the part about Crowfeather leaving Leafpool to suffer. It was Leafpool who wanted to go back to her Clan. I think Crowfeather would have been perfectly content to leave the Clans for good. Both Leafpool and Crowfeather go back to being loyal to their Clans. The difference is, ThunderClan welcomes Leafpool back, but WindClan doesn’t trust Crowfeather for a while.

Runereader of the Nightwings
Runereader of the Nightwings
July 2, 2018 2:31 pm

I agree with SOME of the stuff in this article. I believe that Crowfeather and Leafpool actually loved one another for each other, not for something else. Sure, Leafpool being similar to Feathertail may have initally been why Crowfeather began to notice Leafpool, but I think it was Leafpool’s personality and kindness towards Crowfeather that made him fall in love with her.

But I do FULLY agree that they should have ran away properly! There could have been mangas! Also, a way to get that loophole in power of three is to make Crow and Leaf’s kits one day return to the clans. This would add so much to the series, but I guess it will never happen… I guess I got to somehow either make or find a fanfiction like that.

You've Caught a Wild Sparky! (Sparktooth)
You've Caught a Wild Sparky! (Sparktooth)
July 3, 2018 9:16 pm

Wow, this article was AMAZING! I agree with everything, CrowXLeaf is such a complicated ship and I love it 😛 .

Jayda
Jayda
February 21, 2019 10:38 pm

I may not like the pairing of Leafpool and Crowfeather but they did truly love each other they were young and stupid and they realized what they had done was wrong I don’t hate him cause he has been through so much he had a terrible father and he lost everyone he every loved

Leafbreez
Leafbreez
March 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Leafpool and Crowfeather are my absolute fave couple.
I know many people don’t like them, or think Feathertail and Crowfeather were better. But he got over Feathertail in the blink of an eye however it took him a lifetime to get over Leafpool. You say he went to Nightcloud immediately, BUT HE ONLY DID THAT TO PROVE HE WAS LOYAL TO HIS CLAN

• EchoClaw