Why Ashfur Deserves the Dark Forest

Brightkit argues why Ashfur should’ve gone to the Dark Forest.

Art by baimon2000

Members of BlogClan, I am extremely tired of hearing Ashfur fans try to make excuses for this character. Here’s something you can’t deny: there’s a lot of things he did wrong, and he went unpunished. StarClan decided that Ashfur join them as if he hadn’t attempted multiple murders (and succeeded once, if you think Firestar’s lost life counts). They sent him to StarClan as if he had committed the tiniest crime. Before I make my points on why Ashfur is my least favorite character, here is a quick summary of him:

In Into the Wild, Ashkit is born to Brindleface, along with Fernkit and another kit, who dies shortly after birth. Later on, in Rising Storm, Ashkit is apprenticed to Dustpelt. In A Dangerous Path, Ashpaw’s mother is killed. Then, later, in the battle with BloodClan, Ashpaw and the other apprentices kill Bone to avenge Whitestorm. In the Warriors timeline, Ashpaw is made a warrior just before Firestar’s Quest. After all that, Ashfur is a pretty good background character that I liked. But then, in Dawn, Ashfur expresses his first sign of liking Squirrelflight (Squirrelpaw at the time). When Squirrelpaw and Brambleclaw return from their quest, Ashfur reaches out and touches his nose to Squirrelpaw’s, purring. Later, in Starlight, it becomes apparent that Ashfur is in love with Squirrelflight. This outraged me because it was completely out of the blue. There was almost zero development between the two (No offense, Erin Hunters). This article is about Ashfur, though, so I’ll get to the point and discuss why I disagree with some common defenses of him.

“Ashfur went through a lot of trauma as a young cat.”
The first death that Ashfur experienced was his littermate’s, Elderkit. He was too young to be able to remember anything about the kit later, and the kit hadn’t really developed any sort of close friendship with Ashfur for Ashfur to mourn. Then, his other littermate, Tulipkit, died as well. Ashfur was old enough to feel grief for Tulipkit. When Ashfur was an apprentice, Brindleface died as well. I understand how these deaths can affect Ashfur. However, even though a lot of his family died, it’s not okay that he attempted four murders. Cloudtail and Ferncloud were able to move on. Why couldn’t Ashfur?

“Squirrelflight rejected him, and it really hurt him.”
No, Squirrelflight didn’t really “reject” him. She never thought that they were in a romantic relationship in the first place. All she wanted was a good friend to help her get through her issue with Brambleclaw. When Ashfur told her he wanted to be more than friends, she kindly told him that she did not feel the same. She never tried to be enemies with Ashfur. It was Ashfur who was being cruel. He never really loved Squirrelflight. He was obsessed with her, and would NOT result in a healthy relationship.

“He practically didn’t have any kin or other cats to love him.”
I can clear that up easily. Almost every cat in the Clan believed his was a worthy, honorable warrior. He was fairly popular and had friends. Ferncloud didn’t just abandon him, either. Plus, when he died, Yellowfang supported him and the decision that he belonged in StarClan. Ashfur had supporters.

“He had issues with self-esteem, and he really just loved too much.”
If Ashfur had problems with his self-esteem, that doesn’t mean he should turn into a murderous lunatic. And he didn’t just love too much. As I said before, his feelings toward Squirrelflight were not real love. Would you call attempting to kill Squirrelflight’s family ‘love’? I wouldn’t.

“No cat actually died.”
Attempted murder is just as bad as murder. His intentions were evil, and cannot be justified.

Now, I understand that everybody has their own opinions, so please don’t hate me (but if you do like Ashfur, it may be interesting to hear why). Thank you for having the patience to read this article! 🙂

Fan Articles

Notify of
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
July 8, 2018 9:40 pm

This is true.

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

Rainfrost
Rainfrost
August 16, 2020 11:14 pm

I disagree. Ashfur is one of my favorites, I understand what you’re saying, but I feel differently.

Dawnpaw, who is back
Dawnpaw, who is back
July 8, 2018 11:10 pm

I totally agree!

Hollyshine
Hollyshine
July 11, 2018 9:43 pm

I 100000000% agree, so glad Hollyleaf killed that skinking foxhearted rat

Jetclaw
Jetclaw
July 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Ashfur will forever be a missed opportunity as a crazy obsessive villain, (or maybe even a dark forest cat who comes to regret like Darkstripe). They could’ve made him into a villain, a good villain.

Instead they stumbled and tripped over themselves trying to say Ashfur just ‘loved too much’. Trying to take back the drama of the fire scene.

Well like someone said the argument could be made Tigerclaw/star loved ThunderClan too much that he refused to see anyone else leading the clan into what he saw as ruin. He just loved too much!

Or Mapleshade she loved her kits and those cats caused their unfair deaths. Her kits died! Not to mention she lost her home AND was really rejected by her mate. Where’s her sympathy StarClan?

But I’m glad to see more people understand why Ashfur is bad

Brightkit who is pretty much an apprentice
Brightkit who is pretty much an apprentice
July 14, 2018 11:38 pm
Reply to  Jetclaw

I agree, Jetclaw! 🙂

Night-tail
Night-tail
March 2, 2020 7:01 am
Reply to  Jetclaw

Hey, plz don’t bring up Mapleshade. She was extremely reckless crossing a flooded river and it was actually her fault. Yes, Appledusk was harsh when he found out the depressing news, yes Ravenwing was a total tattle tale (hey, this is the only time it should be used) and he probably deserved it, yes Freckle-something (agh can’t remember her name!) was trying to kill Mapleshade for no good reason, but Mapleshade is a little over the top. (I really like this argument)

Ashfur is also over the top, I may see where you’re going with this.

Night-tail

-Rain That Thrums Endlessly on Rooftops (Rainpaw/spirit)-
-Rain That Thrums Endlessly on Rooftops (Rainpaw/spirit)-
July 30, 2018 7:47 pm

I’m not sure if Ashfur deserves to go to the Dark Forest, but I’m completely sure he doesn’t belong in StarClan. People say he loved to much, but that doesn’t mean he should start killing cats for revenge. Just because he didn’t really succeed in killing any cats (if not including Firestar’s life) doesn’t let him go to StarClan. He already had the intention of killing, and that makes him an evil cat to me. But since Ashfur might have been facing a lot, I don’t really think he should go to the Dark Forest either. I feel that when he died, his soul shouldn’t have gone to StarClan or the Dark Forest. All in all, I completely agree with you except for the little part about how he should go to the Dark Forest. Great article!

Meow meow

Moona (Moonpaw/leap)
Moona (Moonpaw/leap)
November 4, 2019 1:25 pm

I completely agree! I was so confused when I saw Ashfur In Starclan, while we see this elder, Lilyheart or something, in the dark forest, but we don’t even know if she actually did anything wrong!

Tell them Naegi

Thistlefall
Thistlefall
November 24, 2019 2:20 am

Be a Thrushpelt not an Ashfur

Ravenstride
Ravenstride
March 31, 2020 10:41 am

I don’t think Ashfur should have gone to the DF. But, I also genuinely believe that he deserved his place in Starclan. Every time he was about to do something that earned him a place in the DF (Ex: Killing Firestar or Killing Holly, Lion and Jay) he instead chickens out because he’s not truly bad enough to commit a murder of that level. He never killed a cat with his own two paws (unless you count Bone) because Ashfur did absolutely nothing to help Hawkfrost take one of Firestar’s lives. I rest my case, Ashfur belonged with Starclan. Compared to cats like Shredtail, Thistleclaw or Hawkfrost, Ashfur was practically a saint.

Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢
Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢
July 4, 2020 12:57 pm

Ashfur SO deserves the Dark Forest!
Awesome article!
Silverstream defender

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch