The Squirrelfight and her kits situation by Mudpaw

Mudpaw clears the air about Squirrelflight’s kits.

Art by SarcasmPotato

So for a while something’s been bothering me. Every time I talk to someone about Squirrelflight and Leafpool’s Wish, they always make a statement on how Squirrelflight is barren. And it really frustrates me, because she is NOT barren and never was. And yet everyone says that she’s barren. So what is the truth? What is correct and what is wrong? I want to clear this up once and for all: Is/Was Squirrelflight barren?

Look at Leafpool’s Wish, go to page 55, at the very top of the page:
“The old she-cat sighed. “I wish that the stars had not sent this message to me to pass on. But it is my duty. Squirrelflight, you will never have kits of your own.”
Yellowfang says that Squirrelflight WILL NEVER have kits of her own. Not that she COULD NEVER! Yellowfang still lied, but it wasn’t as bad as fans make it out to be. No one ever said that Squirrelflight was barren or incapable of having kits. It was simply misinterpreted this way. This is also the only place we ever see anything about this. In Bramblestar’s Storm, Yellowfang doesn’t directly say anything about Squirrelflight’s apparent incapability to have kits. She sort of suggests it, and Squirrelflight gets the message. Unfortunately, this leaves us with only a small bit of evidence to support that Squirrelflight was never barren, and it’s still a technical issue. But still, it’s there. It’s still evidence that proves that Squirrelflight was never barren and never has been. It also proves that we were wrong. This instance teaches us to consider the words in the book carefully and follow canon law, instead of just making up whatever head canons we want and calling them canon. This also teaches us that not everything that is said is necessarily true, and that we should be careful and do our research before making a statement. Otherwise you could be proven wrong and end up embarrassing yourself!
I think we can all learn from this and make ourselves better human beings.

So what do you think? Do you have any counter-arguments? Let me know your opinions!

16 Replies to “The Squirrelfight and her kits situation by Mudpaw”

1. Foxtail (Foxie)
    July 30, 2018 at 12:18 am

Squirrelflight is but barren because Bramblestar’s Storm’s manga at the end says so and also because the new Warriors series “A Vision of Shadows” is about their kits so…….lol 😂 So Squirrelflight is not barren haha. Yellowfang only told this lie to persuade her to take in Leafpool’s kits as her own.

SPOILER (if you didn’t know)
    Squirrelflight and Bramblestar’s kits are Alderheart, Sparkpelt, Juniperkit, and Dandelionkit.

Finally running 4 SW (I’m old)

2. July 30, 2018 at 12:30 am

Nice article!

“I am no Jedi” -Ahsoka Tano

3. Brackenpaw (light)
    July 30, 2018 at 2:42 am

Well she had Alderheart, Sparkpelt, Dandelionkit, and Juniperkit so I think she is able to have kits. 😛

4. Nightsong
    July 30, 2018 at 3:27 am

Does it say anywhere about how Juniperkit and Dandelionkit died?

May Starclan light your path ~

• Foxtail (Foxie)
      July 30, 2018 at 5:44 am

The wiki says Dandelionkit died of weakness but we don’t know how Juniperkit died except that he died shortly after birth (maybe he was weak too)

Finally running 4 SW (I’m old)

• Frostdawn, Lionflight, Brightnight, and Moonpaw
        August 2, 2018 at 9:55 pm

I thought Juniperkit was stillborn. Maybe I was wrong.

• Swiftfeather
      January 19, 2020 at 3:57 am

Yes, in chapter 1 of the Apprentice’s Quest. Juniperkit died shortly after birth (he was probably weak) and Dandelionkit was weak, and she soon died of weakness. The remaining 2 lived to adulthood and are currently alive.

5. Fallenshadows
    July 30, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Nice article, Mudpaw! I never thought about the wording to what Yellowfang said – I now look at this subject a little differently! 🙂

6.022 x 10^23

6. Forestflame
    July 30, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Truuuuue

Memes are life

7. Adiere de primăvară
    July 30, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Since Alderheart and Sparkpelt exist, Squirrelflight can have kits. 😛

A cat who loves the fish!

8. Lilacpaw-frost
    August 3, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Does anyone else miss Dandelionkit and Juniperkit? I don’t know why I miss them, I just think that they could have been good main characters. I like to imagine their personalities.

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

9. Moondapple
    October 16, 2018 at 9:57 pm

She had Alderheart, Sparkpelt, Dandelionkit, and Juniperkit, so Squirrelflight is able to have kits.

dingus bloodclan cat