Why do I think Bluestar was not ThunderClan’s best leader by Springbreeze

Springbreeze argues why they think Bluestar was not the best leader ThunderClan had.

Art by raumkatzen

First of all, I know that Bluestar was a very noble leader who drove ThunderClan very well, but in the last part of her life, it seems to me that she destroyed the Clan more, and I have several reasons I think this thing.
First of all, after Tigerclaw’s betrayal came to light, she had the chance to spend most of her time in her lair, not interested in the fate of her clan. She delayed the appointment of Fireheart as deputy, without thinking about the Code of Warriors and what the rest of the Clan would believe. For this reason, Fireheart often bent his right to be deputy. Bluestar began to believe that all the cats were just traitors who wanted to destroy the Clan. She started to regret giving up her kits, Mistyfoot and Stonefur. She thought StarClan wanted to destroy her, as the warrior ancestors had made her the leader just for her to suffer.
She left Fireheart to choose who they would be mentors to Ashfur and Ferncloud. This is not necessarily a wrong thing, but it demonstrates that she is not interested in the life of the Clan. She asks Fireheart if in ThunderClan there are still cats worthy to train their innocent kits, but later refuses to make Swiftpaw, Thornpaw, Brightpaw, Ashpaw and Fernpaw warriors. In some cases I can understand, some were the disciples of Tigerclaw’s aides, but Whitestorm and Mousefur could not be taken as traitors. She accepted to make him a warrior only on Cloudtail because he was Fireheart’s apprentice. Because of it, Swiftpaw takes the decision to do something that will surely impress her, so he goes along with Brightpaw to discover the evil that threatens the cats in the forest. After Brightpaw is disfigured, and Cloudtail asks Bluestar to give her the name of the warrior, she uses it to take revenge on StarClan, naming her Lostface. This again demonstrates that the only thing Bluestar wanted was revenge on the warrior ancestors, not even thinking of the possibility that Lostface would survive.
When he became a leader, the first thing Firestar had to do was to correct all the mistakes made by Bluestar. Of course, he could not bring Swiftpaw back to death, but he had to change Lostface’s name and delay the warriors cereony as Ashpaw and Fernpaw, for Thornpaw’s experience to be recognized.
Of course, besides the mistakes of her Clan, we must not forget that Bluestar was about to start a real war between ThunderClan and WindClan. And so that everything was perfect, she was angry at Fireheart because he went to talk to Tallstar in hopes of resolving the conflict. She called him a traitor, telling him that he would let him be second, to become a leader and take the lead of a “Traitors Clan”. I really do not see Fireheart’s fault. He just wanted to protect his Clan from a useless and meaningless conflict and a war in which he could have lost a lot of lives.

Fan Articles

Notify of
Bluevelociraptor
Bluevelociraptor
August 1, 2018 2:52 am

I see your point. But think about all the loss Bluestar experienced throughout her life, I haven’t read Bluestar’s Prophecy yet, but I believe her sister died, she had to give up her mate, she had to give up her kits, one of her kits died, she lost two deputies in a very short amount of time. Throughout all of this, she managed to lead her Clan. But then Tigerclaw turns around and betrays her. She snapped. After all that happened to her, it took this one last thing to make her completely lose her mind.

I’m not excusing her actions, but I believe she had some metal disorder or something like depression or something like that. In the end she managed to pull through to save her Clan, isn’t that what counts? She may not be the best leader ThunderClan has ever had, but she was a dang good one who gave up everything to serve her clan. She went through a messy patch towards the end of her life, but she made up for it.

That’s all that matters in my opinion.

Shell (Shellsplash)
Shell (Shellsplash)
August 1, 2018 8:34 am

I have to agree with you one that, I think she really snapped when Tigerstar appeared at the gathering as leader of ShadowClan, not only had she lost one of the last cats she trusted closely but he had attempted to kill her and then left to become ShadowClan’s leader, ThunderClan’s worst rival.

Dat Crowfeather protector

Sky
Sky
August 2, 2018 2:46 am

Bluestar wasn’t even there when his newfound leadership was revealed.

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
August 1, 2018 10:08 am

She was most likely suffering from senile dementia, as she was incredibly old and was showing clear signs of it, such as memory loss. Tigerstar’s betrayal was the trigger for it to set in. No one controls their actions while having these illnesses, and you’re slowly loosing your grip on reality. I personally think it’s unfair to judge someone while they really weren’t themselves, so while near the end of her life she might’ve been unfit to lead, she was a great leader before that, so in my opinion, she was one of the best leaders.

So yeah, I agree with you Blueheart (:

mr poop man!!!

Maple and Thistle are better than u!
Maple and Thistle are better than u!
August 2, 2018 2:37 am

Why do you defend Appledusk? He’s a jerk

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
August 2, 2018 4:39 pm

Appledusk is amazing QwQ

mr poop man!!!

Maple and Thistle are better than u!
Maple and Thistle are better than u!
August 3, 2018 2:45 am

How? He strikes me as a rude foxhearted piece of foxdung

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
August 3, 2018 8:34 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mr poop man!!!

Maple and Thistle are better than u!
Maple and Thistle are better than u!
August 3, 2018 8:46 pm

He’s just so rude

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
August 4, 2018 12:02 am

Wouldn’t you be rude if your partner recklessly and foolishly made your children swim through a visibly flooding river during a raging storm, thus causing their early deaths?

mr poop man!!!

......
......
August 5, 2018 12:18 pm

No, not if it was Ravenwing, Frecklewish and Appledusk’s fault in THE FIRST PLACE

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
August 9, 2018 6:07 pm

It was not their fault whatsoever.

mr poop man!!!

Moondapple
Moondapple
October 9, 2018 10:16 pm

ppl have opinions…

dingus bloodclan cat

CROWFEATHER
CROWFEATHER
May 27, 2019 9:12 am

bruh She is the ONE AND ONLY reason that brightheart looks like a pirate and swiftpaw was butchered

Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
May 27, 2019 1:21 pm
Reply to  CROWFEATHER

Hi, there. Swears, cusses, and slurs are prohibited on the blog. Please refrain from using them in the future.

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

Sky
Sky
August 2, 2018 2:45 am

My thoughts exactly, surprisingly I don’t even feel the need to voice it now, you’ve done so perfectly.

She was going through severe mental health problems due to things that were out of her control.

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
August 1, 2018 2:57 am

I agree, but before that she was a really good leader.
Great article! 😀

thats not very plus ultra of u

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
August 1, 2018 4:41 am

I know that Bluestar went “mad” at the end of her life and did bad decisions, but according to the Warriors wiki, she actually suffered from dementia at that time. We shouldn’t judge someone’s performance when he/she is sick and and can’t do clear decisions. Besides, she sacrificed a lot to keep her clan safe and leaded well at most time. So overall, she’s always the best leader of Thunderclan and my favourite character 😉.

!!Running for senior warrior!!

Forestpaw/pool Is Awesome At Baking
Forestpaw/pool Is Awesome At Baking
August 1, 2018 3:03 pm

Exactly!

Moon is logged out
Moon is logged out
August 1, 2018 6:33 pm

I agree! She’s also my favorite (or 2nd favorite) character!

CROWFEATHER
CROWFEATHER
May 27, 2019 9:18 am

she got swiftpaw turned into dog food and is also the reason brightheart is sailing across the 7 seas with the rest of the pirates. She let A MURDERER into her clan AND LITERALLY REFUSED TO BELIEVE. Not one NOT TWO BUT THREE VERY INTELLEGANT APPRENTICES when they were warning her about tigerclaw being a murderer. she didn’t even think twice, she also started an all out WAR with and innocent clan over a freaking rabbit. Why do all bluestar fans turn a blind eye to redtail and swiftpaw 🙁 OML.

Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
May 27, 2019 1:21 pm
Reply to  CROWFEATHER

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

Sky
Sky
August 2, 2018 2:46 am

Agreed.

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
August 1, 2018 7:02 am

I really don’t have an opinion on Bluestar at the moment haha. I did hate the fact of how she treated her Clan near the end of her life (kinda) but I also excuse it since I know she’s had lots of pain and suffering in her life. But so did Crookedstar and many other cats. But I won’t get into that. Bluestar was not a bad leader. She made mistakes like every other cat has. Think of Mapleshade. She went insane too didn’t she? She lost her kits, the only cat she ever loved, her Clan exiled her, RiverClan didn’t even try to help and left her to die, etc. Bluestar isn’t the only one who’s gone crazy. But we can excuse these cats because it wasn’t entirely their fault. They suffered so much and the other cats around them affected their actions:
Bluestar = Tigerclaw, etc.
Mapleshade = Appledusk, etc.

Yeah idk why I’ve suddenly started comparing these two but it just hit me so….😛 I’m really neautral on Bluestar right now. I do agree she made mistakes but despite those mistakes, she was still a great leader.

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

Adiere de primăvară
Adiere de primăvară
August 1, 2018 2:48 pm

As you said, Crookedstar suffered alive, but he has not lost his mind. I think Bluestar should not have been controlled by sadness and fear, but led her Clan further with courage.

A cat who loves the fish!

Sky
Sky
August 2, 2018 2:49 am

Why does she deserve judgement of her whole life for a mental illness? If someone had done exceptionally noble deeds for their whole life, even through deep pain and sadness, and then suddenly started hiding because of a mental illness, it is understandable, (as to why that person would hide) and that person still deserves a good judgement. It’s wholly unfair to judge a life by a sickness.

Maple and Thistle are better than u!
Maple and Thistle are better than u!
August 2, 2018 2:47 am

I only understand why Mapleshade went crazy and killed three cats, becuz they deserved it! Duh, but Bluestar just went dumb the second she was born, she was always stupid in my opinion, she was in my opinion the real reason Snowfur died, Bluepoop upset her and then she runs in front of a car and Thistleclaw is really angry and everything gets messy just because Bluepoop was being a brat

Greyfoot
Greyfoot
August 1, 2018 3:37 pm

This was something I never understood about bluestar’s prophecy as I’m pretty sure Thistleclaw died before Bluestar became leader meaning she gave away her kits for no reason.
“But Greyfoot if Thisleclaw became deputy then there would be so many unnecessary battles.”
Well Sunstar isn’t stupid, crazy or depressed he wouldn’t have battles that didn’t have a good enough reason to happen so Bluestar gave away her kits for no reason.

CROWFEATHER
CROWFEATHER
May 27, 2019 9:23 am
Reply to  Greyfoot

yep she also doubted her leaders intelligence because she actually thought sunstar was stupid enough to choose thistleclaw to become deputy XD. Bluestar gave away her kits, ultimately killing Mosskit, for no good damn reason. Seriously, Sunstar even TOLD HER HE TOLD BLUESTAR that he would NEVER have chosen thistleclaw as his deputy. Also, If she didn’t want kits then why did she sleep with Oakheart!?!?!?!!?!?!? XD OMG LOL ok. Bluestar is just completely freaking insane.

Minty Hot Cocoa (Minty)
Minty Hot Cocoa (Minty)
August 1, 2018 3:54 pm

Great article! I think she was a good leader up until then, when she went insane.

Stormy (Stormberry)
Stormy (Stormberry)
August 2, 2018 12:16 am

I think Bluestar was a great leader. And she starting going a little downhill because she was aging and she experienced a lot of loss in her life

“I am no Jedi” -Ahsoka Tano

Maple and Thistle are better than u!
Maple and Thistle are better than u!
August 2, 2018 2:36 am

YES! BLUESTAR IS BAD, REALLY BAD! I DONT LIKE HER AT ALL AND THINK SHE WAS MEAN TO EVERYONE AND SHE WAS STUPID IN BLUESTAR’S PROPHECY AND THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT IT WAS THISTLEXSNOW WHICH WAS AMAZING AND BLUEXOAK IS ONE OF MY LEAST FAV SHIPS AND I REALLY DONT LIKE BLUESTAR AND CROOKEDSTAR WAS BETTER THAN OAKHEART AND A LOT OF RIVERCLAN CATS ARE TERRIBLE APART FROM LEOPARDSTAR AND CROOKEDSTAR AND WILLOWSHINE BUT EVER SINCE APPLEDUSK IVE HAD A MAJOR DISLIKE TO THAT SMELLY CLAN

#ireallyhateappledusk, lol

Adiere de primăvară
Adiere de primăvară
August 2, 2018 12:51 pm

By this article I did not mean to hate Bluestar, but she was not the best Thunderclan leader. Her madness would have come to destroy the clan. I do not judge for that, but still, I do not think the “best leader” would have been left to be driven by fear and doubt. She is a wonderful character and a good leader, but not the best.

A cat who loves the fish!

Lilacpaw/frost - Li
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
August 3, 2018 10:03 pm

I’m not going to judge who was the best leader of ThunderClan, but I don’t believe it was Bluestar. I love Bluestar, but she did do things that didn’t help her Clan. SHe was suffering from a mental disorder that was out of her control, but if she had been in herself I think she would have probably been the best leader, or the most remembered.

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

Moondapple
Moondapple
October 9, 2018 10:20 pm

I kind of agree. She was going through severe mental health problems and i dont think she knew what she was doing. It was cruel to name Brightpaw to Lostface, but it was Brightheart’s own fault that she went with Swiftpaw to try to kill the dogs.

dingus bloodclan cat

🍂🔮 Stormtail ~ Storm 🎃🕸️
Stormsong
August 30, 2019 2:50 pm

I think Bluestar is overrated.
She’s not on my favorites list or least favorites list; I am extremely neutral to her for different reasons.

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch