Why I Don’t Like Dovewing Anymore by Ashpelt

Ashpelt shares their opinion on Dovewing, pre-The Last Hope. Spoilers for OotS!

Art by Vialir

Note that I haven’t finished The Last Hope yet, so I’m not going to be doing anything after what I’ve read.

Now, I used to like her a bit- when she was still Dovepaw. But after Sign of the Moon, she just got worse. Now, I’m trying to like her, but I just can’t.
Let’s focus on the Tigerheart-Bumblestripe love triangle. It just came out of nowhere. Tigerheart went on a journey with Dovepaw, sure, but they hardly even interacted! Besides, there were other she-cats on the journey who WEREN’T still apprentices, like Petalfur.
Then suddenly at a Gathering they love each other. They hide in a bush and remember they went on a journey then suddenly they’re in love. Mainly because of “He/she is hot” than anything else. I swear that’s literally how it went. Bumblestripe’s love also came out of nowhere; Blossomfall says to Dovewing that he likes her and that’s all we get. It’s just too forced.
Then how Dovewing treats him; she keeps getting his hopes up and then bringing him down. It literally says that she only liked him as friend because he was ThunderClan. Then on a walk to the Gathering she trips him(though I understand this was accidental) and then insults him. After, Rosepetal convinces her to go and apologize. Bumblestripe doesn’t accept and has every right not to with the way she was treating him. He says he gets the hint and then Dovewing’s inner monologue is what annoys me.

Bumblestripe turned his head to look at her, his gaze hard as ice. “I’m tired of being used as your scratching post,” he hissed. “From now on sharpen your claws on someone else.”
Dovewing’s pelt pricked. “It’s not my fault!”
“I get it, okay?” He didn’t even look at her. He just kept running. “You don’t like me the same way I like you. I’ll get over it. I’m just disappointed you’re not the cat I thought you were.”
Dovewing bristled. How dare he say that to her? She gave everything to the Clan, and he wanted more! It wasn’t fair.

And what Bumble said was right. Dove was really just using him as a scratching post; he’s merely standing up for himself. And since when did he know that Dove was part of the Three? He never even knew about the prophecy! And last time I checked, love wasn’t a crime. He doesn’t know about her powers and shouldn’t.

Anyway, that’s all I have. I don’t think she’s a Mary-Sue; she’s just unfair when she’s portrayed as fair.

Fan Articles

Notify of
Stormy (Stormberry)
Stormy (Stormberry)
August 26, 2018 2:18 am

I do find Dovewing very annoying in OOTS. Nice article!

“I am no Jedi” -Ahsoka Tano

🎄 Not-So-Sane Hot Cocoa Rain 🎄
🎄 Not-So-Sane Hot Cocoa Rain 🎄
August 26, 2018 2:56 am

I’m not the biggest fan of Dovewing either-awesome article!

love lasts forever

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
August 26, 2018 6:16 am

I agree, nice article 🙂

thats not very plus ultra of u

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
August 26, 2018 10:59 am

I’m quite neutral on Dovewing, but I do agree her relationships with the two toms are sudden and annoying, there weren’t any development, and both of them were not suitable for her. I used to like her a bit too, but with those relationships and her reactions, she became less likeable to me. Nice article 😺.

!!Running for senior warrior!!

Butterflyflower
Butterflyflower
August 29, 2018 1:00 am

I think that, aside from the fact that Tiger x Dove may have started off kind of forced and out-of-nowhere, it actually did kind of make a little sense and did get a lot more developed, but maybe I just think that because I love Tiger x Dove! 😛

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
August 28, 2018 3:56 pm

I don’t have much of an opinion on her 😛 She can be immature and whiny but I think she has a very compassionate heart and struggles with her powers (I would be very overwhelmed by them but also be quite devastated if they were taken away from me so I kind of feel her haha). Dovewing has strengths and flaws, as does every cat, and it’s up to us to judge her for them or not.

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

Butterflyflower
Butterflyflower
August 29, 2018 1:04 am

I lovewing Dovewing! And I’d be the same with the powers, even if I wasn’t part of a prophecy. I think there would be times when I wouldn’t want to hear literally everything that goes on from miles away, but if they were taken away then I would be so unused to having that much less hearing than I used to (and it would be annoying when I listen to music 😛 ).

Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
August 30, 2018 1:01 am

Great article, I agree! About the whole love isn’t a crime thing…I feel so bad for Bumblestripe! When she said “It’s not my fault!” I got really annoyed! I mean, couldn’t she be a bit more compassionate towards him?? She’s getting so mad about him liking her, and yet she’s going off with some ShadowClan cat…also with the leading up to Tiger and Dove I agree as well. I reread the series, and noticed there was like NO build up whatsoever. It did come out of nowhere….

❃ Leaf

Brightpaw (pool)
Brightpaw (pool)
August 31, 2018 11:44 pm

I kind of like Tiger x Dove *dodges flying cows*.
In OOTS, I agree that she was pretty immature, but tolerable to me. In my heart, I joined the Dovewing Support Organization when I read the last books of OOTS and Dovewing’s Silence.

Silentstep
Silentstep
May 17, 2020 7:42 pm

I hate Dovewing. As an apprentice, she was terrible because she kept insisting that she didn’t have special powers and wasn’t part of the Three just because Ivypaw wasn’t also in it. You can’t do everything with your sister, alright?!? And when she sees Jayfeather finding herbs without sight, she says it’s proof she doesn’t need powers to sense find things without senses and doesn’t have any powers. Dovepaw KNEW she was the One, and was too stubborn to accept it. “We’re not three, we’re four!” She thinks Ivypaw should be in the Three just because she’s her sister, but that doesn’t mean Ivypaw should be one of them at all.
On the journey to find the beavers, she isn’t too bad, since she uses her power to help the rest of them, but once they get back, she’s her stubborn, mouse-brained self again.
Then when Tigerheart and Dovepaw meet again at the border, they just remember they once went on a journey together and become “mates” when Dovepaw was still an apprentice! There was no sense to that at all. Then, when Sandstorm and a few others get whitecough and Littlecloud gets greencough, Bramblestar has two warriors guard the herbs and not to tell anyone else about them. But Dovepaw ruins it all when she told Tigerheart about the herbs. Then Tigerheart tells Blackstar, who demands herbs in exchange for Ivypaw, who was captured on the border when she finds Dovepaw and Tigerheart there. It was Dovepaw’s fault Ivypaw was captured, and many ThunderClan cats could have died because of Dovepaw.

Rainbow Turtle That Waves Pride Flag 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈(Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢)
Rainbow Turtle That Waves Pride Flag 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈(Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢)
June 11, 2020 12:37 pm

I like Dovewing! She’s pretty cool.
She has those eyes, that smile. I’m starting to feel dizzy.

• Forest Wolf by Flamekit
  • Pink Rainforest Hummingbird by Flamekit
  • Mountain Bear by Flamekit
  • Ocean Sea Turtle by Flamekit
  • Nika:Magical Panther
  • Alderheart by Whitepaw
  • Kestrelfeather
  • goldenflower and tawnykit:pelt by Turtlepelt