Why I Think Hawkfrost Deserved A Chance by Spottedspirit

Spottedspirit defends Hawkfrost from popular reasons.

Art by Acorn-Trees

Lot’s of people hate Hawkfrost for two reasons.
1. He tried to kill Firestar
2. He preyed on young cats’s insecurities and turned them against their Clan.
But nobody knows why he did any of this.
So, the question is, why did he?

The reason is simple.
They are afraid of being rejected. He already had a pretty bad rep with Mistyfoot for being his Hawkfrosty self. You know, self-confident, controlling, kinda stubborn and insensitive. But, he was actually a really cool guy. And, honestly, he deserves more credit for the guy he was before he died and/or turned evil.
He lost his brother at a pretty young age and his mother left him in RiverClan. He never met his father until Sunset, the fourth book in the New Prophecy series. So, he experienced a lot of grief. He just didn’t handle it as well as, let’s say, Sorreltail. Hawkfrost just couldn’t seem to find the strength to face it head on, like Sorreltail did. She actually was pretty calm at the death of Willowpelt and Whitestorm because she was aware that she was wanted in her Clan and she would someday see her parents in StarClan. Hawkfrost was an outcast among his Clan and nobody really liked him until he acted like a jerk, summoning all the other jerks to act beside him. When he realized being mean and angry got him attention from his Clanmates , he took it too far.
He was already scared and looking for love when he first saw Brambleclaw as a brother instead of his creepy look-alike from another Clan. Him and Brambleclaw bonded not just because of who their father was but because they both faced the same problem. Rejection from those they respect. That is where Hawkfrost lost the respect from Mistyfoot. He was both the son of the cat that order to have her bro killed AND he was actually favored by Leopardstar more than Mistyfoot. Because Leopardstar was his mentor, he was obviously her main attention instead of Mistyfoot which is probably where Mistyfoot was thrown off.
But Hawkfrost really deserved a chance because nobody really loved him. Sure, he had Mothwing but Mothwing for whatever reason didn’t love him back. Was it because of the fake sign? Maybe, but that doesn’t seem right that Hawkfrost had to bribe her to do a favor for him. I bet that Leafpool would have done that in a heartbeat for Squirrelflight. Tawnypelt would have done it for Brambleclaw. But that is also because they weren’t searching for acceptance in her Clan, too. But she would already have a cat to love her if only she loved Hawkfrost.
He loved Brambleclaw (brotherly, not romantically) and when he finally had a relationship with him, he was so happy. He even switched sides during the battle with Mudclaw in order to save his brother.
But was that just so he had another ally? No! He could have just sided with Mudclaw if he wanted an ally. He wanted somebody that would be by his side no matter what his opinion may be. He, in other words, wanted a brother. This may not be true in human life but in Warriors, families are really close. They are always at each other’s side no matter what.
The last reason that Hawkfrost needed a chance would be that it was all Tigerstar’s fault. He was in a Darkstripe situation. Tigerstar was the only cat that praised him and everybody needs a little praise every now and again.

So, we come to the conclusion that Hawkfrost deserved better love and he didn’t deserve to be led astray by Tigerstar.

May StarClan Light Your Path

23 Replies to “Why I Think Hawkfrost Deserved A Chance by Spottedspirit”

1. Bracken (Brackenpaw/Brackenlight)
    September 15, 2018 at 12:25 am

Nice article, Spottedspirit! πŸ˜€ I think that you made good points. However, I still think Hawkfrost made his own choices and should be held responsible for them, even if he could have deserved a second chance. Also the reason I hate Hawkfrost is because he killed my precious Hollyleaf. πŸ˜›

My awesomeness comes naturally

• Foxtail (Foxie)
      September 15, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Same 😒 That’s the only reason I hate Hawkfrost. Apart from that, I have nothing against him πŸ˜›

Finally running 4 SW (I’m old)

2. Sky
    September 15, 2018 at 12:59 am

I agree that no one deserves to be led astray by Tigerstar, however, I disagree with your “he loved Brambleclaw” part.

Okay, so yeah, he probably did sorta feel a brotherly connection to him, but I’m pretty sure that the only reason as to why he sided with Brambleclaw was to lead Brambleclaw even further into Tigerstar’s trap. Also, he probably wanted to look good.

3. Cinderflame/Silentlily
    September 15, 2018 at 1:36 am

Agreed! Nice article! Thank you for defending Hawkfrost, he’s one of my favs!

4. September 15, 2018 at 2:42 am

I am meh on Hawkfrost

I see a cat: I want to pet it

5. Rainstar25
    September 15, 2018 at 5:20 am

Mothwing did loved Hawkfrost; she just hated the dark path he took. That fake moth wing sign broke her; she was accepted as a medicine cat apprentice by StarClan themselves, but no. Turns out, her brother faked the sign in order for her to be a medicine cat apprentice. Imagine yourself in her paws. You were accepted to an important rank in the Clan, you accompished so much, but you learn from your sibling that everything you accomplished and believed in was a lie. How does that make you feel? Hawkfrost intentions may have been for his sister’s sake, but the lie destroyed her belief in StarClan and her belief in her destiny.

Hawkfrost didn’t bribe Mothwing; he manipulated her. He held the truth about the moth wing over her head, demanding her to make fake signs to his advantage. He clearly took advantage of her.

Tigerstar may have played a role in Hawkfrost’s path, but he should’ve known better. He should’ve known right from wrong, that his father was evil, like Brambleclaw did. Instead, he followed his father’s bloody pawsteps. The fear of rejection doesn’t excuse for all the horrible crap he’d done; it’s his reasoning for doing bad things, not his excuse. That scene with Mudclaw’s rebellion only proves how far Hawkfrost had fallen; he saved his brother during that time.

When Firestar was caught in that fox trap, Hawkfrost could’ve realized how wrong he was and let Firestar go. But he didn’t; he was too blinded by greed and power to care. He was willing to attack and possibly kill Brambeclaw, his own half-brother. In the end, his power-hungry greed got him killed just like his father. Hawkfrost doesn’t deserve a second chance because, in the end, it was his choice to go on the dark path.

• Sky
      September 15, 2018 at 3:36 pm

I agree.

Also, you may not want to use the word “crap.”

• Rainstar25
        September 16, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Sorry about that. I was going to use a worse word but decided to replace it with “crap”, thinking it’s a less offence term.

• Spottedspirit
      September 17, 2018 at 10:44 pm

Thanks for reading my article, but I really don’t like it when people criticize my opinions on my article.

• Sky
        September 19, 2018 at 3:07 am

As Icy said on the hug page, we are entitled to our own opinions.

• Rainstar25
        September 21, 2018 at 8:50 am

Isn’t the point of this blog is to discuss the books and have civilized debates about things regarding them? Everyone has their own opinions and they are free to express themselves. So should I stop giving my opinions on your articles just because you don’t like getting criticized?

• Spottedspirit
          October 9, 2018 at 9:17 pm

That’s not what I meant at all. I just meant that you don’t need to go into depth on how the opinions that I wrote about are wrong. You are entitled to your opinions and your shouldn’t stop sharing them, it’s just that there is a line between civilized debating and ranting about my opinions. I’m sorry that I came across as telling you to stop sharing your opinions. It’s just that your rant hurt me, and I wanted to give you a heads up that maybe you restrain from ranting on people’s articles.

• Honeyfleck
          April 1, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Rainstar, everyone has their own opinions. Like how my favorite Warriors book is Spottedleaf’s Heart. So, let her believe her opinions. It’s her article. It’s her opinion. WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS.

• April 1, 2020 at 11:11 pm

I don’t think that’s the point that Rainstar was making ^^ But regardless, everyone has a right to their opinions, regardless of where they fall, so we can agree to disagree and let it lie down πŸ™‚ At the end of the day, we all still like reading about talking cats in the wilderness!

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

6. Foxtail (Foxie)
    September 15, 2018 at 6:16 am

This article was really well written and very persuasive! However, Mothwing did love Hawkfrost (I believe). It is shown many times how she has defended her brother. In “Midnight,” she stood up for her brother and defended him when some outbreak about WindClan stealing RiverClan’s prey took place. Her faith, trust, and love for her brother soon started deteriorating as her brother became more ambitious, especially when she found out he was the one who put the moth’s wing outside of Mudfur’s den, and not StarClan. Although Hawkfrost was just trying to help her, Mothwing had always been clear that she wanted approval of StarClan, not Hawkfrost who only wanted her to become a medicine cat so that when he “became leader,” they would “rule” together as the highest positions in a Clan. Did he really care about Mothwing? Or was he just using her? I mean at least he saw her at the same level as he was (he wanted both of them to be important) and didn’t think less of her so I guess that’s some sort of love. But you never know. But I do know that Hawkfrost had used Mothwing before. Like when she had a “dream” about two unwanted reeds or pebbles in a streamed or something which referred to Stormfur and Feathertail I believe but I forgot (it’s been so long!). And I think there was a time where Hawkfrost talked down about Mothwing. But it’s been a while since I’ve read The New Prophecy so I can’t prove anything unless I look it up (which I don’t feel like doing πŸ˜›).

But nice article! I liked it very much.

P.S. Sunset is the last book in TNP. The fourth book is Starlight ^^

Finally running 4 SW (I’m old)

• Spottedspirit
      September 17, 2018 at 11:10 pm

Thank you for agreeing with some of my arguments. I am not 100% about any of it either, but I’m very big on second chances.

7. September 15, 2018 at 7:08 am

Cool article 😸! I think every cat deserves a second chance, the only thing is that will the cat accept that chance (e.g. I think Rainflower won’t accept a second chance of repairing her relationship with Crookedstar, as she always think hating her own son is right πŸ™€). I think Hawkfrost will get that chance, as he’s a smart cat πŸ˜‰. He has faded from the Dark Forest already, I hope he can reincarnate into another cat someday, who will be a great warrior and spend his afterlife in Starclan happily 😺……

!!Running for senior warrior!!

8. Fallenshadows
    September 15, 2018 at 1:18 pm

This is a really interesting article, Spotted! πŸ™‚ The point at the end is my favorite – that Hawkfrost loved his brother, and he chose to protect him. This one made me think that maybe he does deserve a second chance! Overall, great article! πŸ˜€

6.022 x 10^23

9. Rainshine 🌸 Rainie
    September 15, 2018 at 4:24 pm

This is really interesting, I had these almost exact thoughts reading about Hawkfrost. I really agree with how Hawkfrost was looking for acceptance and love, and I did really like Brambleclaw and Hawkfrost’s relationship, even though it was really obviously leading to doom for both of them. I used to think Hawkfrost was a lot more on the bad side, but you’re right in saying that he really only turned evil near the end of his life/after he died. Great article, apprentice!!!!

δΈ‹ι›¨ε€©ηš„ι˜³ε…‰

10. Adiere de primăvară
    September 15, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I think Hawkfrost was, for the most part, influenced by his father. Ever since he was a kit, he has been very much confronted with the legacy left by Tigerstar over him. He saw his father as a hero, and when he arrived in the Riverclan, he discovered that he was actually a murderer. His mother left him when he was only six months old. Of course, Sasha had her reasons, but I do not think Hawfrost could have understood that age, even if he knew them. When he became a warrior, Tigerstar began to visit him in dreams, guiding him to the darkness. I think Hawkfrost could have been a good warrior and a good leader if there had been no Tigerstar influence.

A cat who loves the fish!

11. Lilacpaw-frost
    September 16, 2018 at 10:36 pm

Great article! I think that people shouldn’t hate Hawkfrost because we don’t know enough about him.

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

12. Ghost
    September 19, 2018 at 12:43 am

I never thought of it that way! I like this a lot, it adds a lot of depth to Hawkfrost’s character!
    well done, this brought me over to the hawkfrost-lover side.

ghostie <3

13. October 29, 2018 at 2:12 am

Thank you for defending Hawkfrost!!! He is one of my fav characters and I don’t know why everyone hates on him (No offence Hawkfrost haters)I totally agree with this, great article!!!!