Mothers Worse Than Millie by Sparktooth

Sparktooth lists cats that were worse mothers than Millie.

Art by Telleneflowers

I’m sure you can guess who’s back, bloggers! The one and only Sparktooth has written another spark-tacular article! (Okay I know that was a horrible pun, but whatever XD).
I can almost hear typing your comments already being like ‘I thought you said you weren’t gonna defend Millie anymore.’ And I meant it when I said it, but I still have more to say, soooo ¯_(ツ)_/¯ .

A lot of people always are ranting about Millie as though she’s the worst mother in the series. I’m just talking about the fandom in general, just in case you thought I was referring to you guys 😛 . Which I can see people’s reasons when explaining why, but I personally think that there are worse mothers than her. So here are my choices and why(this is not in a particular order, btw):

Rainflower:
You all know why I chose Rainflower. And we know about the nickname given to Millie: Rainflower 2.0. These two characters are often compared when people are talking about Millie. All I can ask is: why? When you really stop to think about it, they are opposites. Millie was just watching out for Briarlight, who was injured and dying. At least we know she still did care about her other kits, even if it wasn’t obvious sometimes. Rainflower straight up neglected Stormkit after his injury, had his name changed from Stormkit to Crookedkit, and just openly admitted she didn’t care for him anymore because he wasn’t her “handsome little kit anymore.” Oakheart was all she thought about. At least Millie didn’t try to change Briarpaw’s name to Brokenpaw or something, or didn’t just neglect Briarlight after her injury because she didn’t look the same. I honestly don’t know how Millie became so known as “Rainflower 2.0,” because they are nothing alike. Plus I’m sure we can all agree Rainflower is worse.

Palebird:
A lot of people forget about Palebird, Tallstar’s mother, when discussing the worst mothers in Warriors. Ever since Tallstar was a kit, Palebird never even acknowledged the fact that he existed. She used her grief over the death of Tallkit’s brother, Finchkit, as a constant excuse to stay in the nursery do nothing. She didn’t even try to help her Clan! At least Millie hunts and fights for ThunderClan, despite her worries. Tallkit tried harder to get Palebird’s attention, and just wanted his parents to be proud of him. With his father Sandgorse’s anger at him all the time, Palebird should’ve really been there for Tallkit, especially when he was an apprentice. She always made it obvious she just wanted him to leave her alone. This also affected Talltail when he decided to go leave WindClan seek revenge, and when he returned she didn’t seem too thrilled to see him again.
If that wasn’t enough, when Sandgorse died she just moved on to another mate and started another family, with more kits who she obviously cared about more than Tallstar. Palebird just plain ignored him, at least Millie acknowledged her other kits. Idk about you guys, but I’d choose Mille over Palebird for a mother if it was between the two of them.

Lizardstripe:
I’ll end on this one. It was Lizardstripe’s harsh treatment of Brokenkit that influenced when he would eventually become Brokenstar. She made it obvious that she never wanted him in the first place, constantly saying how her milk was being wasted on him and that she didn’t like him. Millie never said anything like that to any of her kits. Lizardstripe was well aware that she was neglecting Brokenkit, but didn’t care. Millie wasn’t really aware how much time and attention was taken away from Blossomfall and Bumblestripe, because her thoughts were focused on keeping Briarlight alive. Lizardstripe is definitely the worst between them.

Well, there’s my opinion on these mothers. What are your thoughts on all of this? Did I miss a mother who is worse than Millie? After reading this article, are you beginning to change your opinion on Millie’s parenting? It may not be the best, but it could’ve been worse when you look at those other mothers. Hope you enjoyed reading, and I can’t wait to see your thoughts! 😀

26 Replies to “Mothers Worse Than Millie by Sparktooth”

1. Lilacpaw-frost
    September 20, 2018 at 9:58 pm

Great article!

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

2. Bracken (Brackenpaw/Brackenlight)
    September 21, 2018 at 12:47 am

Well you already got me to like Millie a long time ago with one of your articles so… 😛
    Yeah, I agree that Rainflower, Palebird, and Lizardstripe are way worse mothers than Millie.

Creator of Destinywish Prophcy

3. Sunpaw
    September 21, 2018 at 1:50 am

Palebird was suffering from some sort of depression, and that only got worse when her daughter Finchkit died, as well as her mate, Sandgorse. Other than that, I agree with you on this! I’ve always liked Millie and never understood why people hate her so much.

4. David D
    September 21, 2018 at 4:12 am

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the worst mother of them all? Palebird? Okay.

Jayfeather is Bae!

5. Brindlefern
    September 22, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Yeah Palebird had postpartum depression during TR. She shows many of the signs of it and she is a very realistic depiction of said mental illness for a WC character.
    While she may have not been the best mother, she was suffering through a rather debilitating baby blues to the point it was a literal struggle to get her to the fresh-kill pile. You wouldn’t look at a mother irl who’s suffering through PPD and call her a bad mother on that would you? This is literally something they can’t help. Palebird is what got me to look up this sort of thing and a lot of women that suffer through PPD WANT to be good mothers, their brains are just rewired differently.

If I may ramble for a bit, I was happy for Palebird getting another mate and having a litter that had no complications or tragedies… and yet because Talltail is an unreliable narrator (This is literally all the fault of the narrator) we’re seeing it as a bad thing that she gets with another cat in his PoV. He seriously wanted Palebird to “stay faithful to Sandgorse” and not get with another cat after his death, ignoring the fact that Woolytail supported her in hard times, is compassionate to Palebird, and I believe he makes her happy.

The “issue” with Woolytail is honestly great for Palebird. Note how Sandgorse DOES NOT CARE about Palebird’s depression. He cares about Tallkit being in his pawsteps. Not his ailing mate who can’t even drag herself to the freshkill pile without assistance.
    Woolytail actually cared about Palebird and her new litter. He was caring. He minded. He showed her emotional compassion, and he fricking loved her! If Sandgorse had been half the father/friend/mate Woolytail was, Palebird would not have been in such an awful state and may have at least recovered and taken a bigger part in Tallkit’s life.
    The Woolytail thing is purely because of the narrator – Talltail. He, at the time this is going on, still thinks Sandgorse was murdered, and so Palebird is obviously cheating on him /s, and not, you know, recovering from a debilitating mental illness that could have killed her and made her unhappy in StarClan. Talltail sees everything through Negativity Glasses, so Woolytail is obviously a bad person for helping his mother get out of a horrific hole that Sandgorse didn’t care to touch.

The point I’m trying to make is, for real though, cut the poor gal some slack. She was suffering through a pretty bad depression to where it affected her ability to care for her kit. Woolytail supported her when she needed it through her suffering, while Sandgorse, throughout the time he was alive, DIDN’T.

Artist Sig: Jayfiregrowlithe

• June 6, 2019 at 9:14 pm

brindlefren you make a good point but its just weird and akward how after 3 moons she mates with wollytail and is having kits. to my understanding it seems like after a few days later after sandgorge death palebird and wollytail decide to have kits. its just way to fast to have another mate like that or kits. also why I hate pale bird and wollytail is that wolly tail was sandgorge best friend. this is not postnatal depression it cheating.

6. Snowball
    September 28, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Millie and Lizardstripe really are awful mothers, I totally agree (No offense). As for Rainflower, I understand her and I also have some sympathy for her. I don’t really like Palebird for thinking about Finchkit all the time and being so careful and suiting for her new family.

7. Meadowshine
    September 30, 2018 at 8:49 am

Lizardstripe was definitely a terrible mother, but Rainflower was better than Lizardstripe, a least she loved Crookedkit before, Lizardstripe just hate kits. Palebird was also a better mother than Lizardstripe, she doesn’t hate kits, she just care about Finchkit too much so that she doesn’t care about Tallkit anymore. I totally agree that Millie was a better mother than Rainflower, Palebird and Lizardstripe, well, she care about all her kits before Briarlight, so she’s not that bad(even though I still don’t like her). Great article!

I only need a good one to stay

8. October 3, 2018 at 5:49 am

I think the main reason people hate Millie is not that she is a bad character/mother is that she was Graystripe mate and I quote ‘replaced Silverstream’ I personally don’t agree with this but I think Millie was not a very good mum not Rainflower bad but badish
    -Sheeptail

9. Wishwhisper
    January 20, 2019 at 3:49 pm

The art is by Telleneflowers.

Oh boy howdy...