A place in the starlight: What happens in Starclan by Starstripe

Starstripe wonders what afterlife in StarClan is like.

Art by Espenfluss

What happens in Starclan?

It’s a simple question, I guess, one that we think we know all about…but we don’t. If one is left for eternity (if it is ETERNITY), what exactly do you do with your day-to-day life? That’s the question I’ll be discussing today!
Ok, so let’s outline the things we do know…

That Starclan sends omens and signs to medicine cats, leaders, key cats and sometime whole clans. This we have seen time and time again. And has proven to be quite useful throughout the series, however, the one thing that they acknowledge is that Starclan doesn’t know everything…they are simply ancient cats, but how do they ‘see’ what happens? And if they do, do they really spend all their time watching what happens in the clans?

We know that Starclan has a camp, this was seen when Leafpool explains to Jawpaw in Outcast: Power of Three that ‘Feathertail is taking her prey back to Starclan camp’. Now I need to address this, as it takes my mind a while to get around….

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttt?

I have so many questions, firstly ‘where is this camp’? is it in the sky? Or is it simply a state of being? However, some have stated that they live in the Milky Way, and they were able to move, to join the living cats in their new territory during the great journey, so they must be present in a way.

And if it houses all Starclan cats it would have to be very big. However, there is evidence that after a cat has been forgotten by all living cats they will gradually fade away, going on to a new place. This brings up even more questions.

How long does this process last? It would have to be a very quick process in order for the Starclan camp to have room for everyone. And this new place, where is that? When one fades from Starclan do they just not exist at all? No, we have cats like Fallen Leaves and Rock who are still around after who knows how long, but they aren’t clan cats, so it might be different.

But let me just return to that quote about Feathertail, one thing that puzzles me, is that she is taking prey back to her camp. What prey?, if they are dead, why do they need to eat prey? Perhaps it’s just for enjoyment? And the prey…is this dead prey, like MouseClan prey or something? If so, it would be really sad to be eaten twice by a cat. But if not, is it simply created for the Starclan cat, and if so, who creates them?

Also…Is there such thing as Ghost Cats? And how much power does Starclan actually have?
In Firestar’s quest, we know that on two occasions Starclan has seen able to interfere with the waking world: Where Spottedleaf gives some burdock root to Sandstorm, similarly Firestar is given a fish by Silverstream. This really makes us question Starclan’s power, it’s as if they have control over nature itself; we see this when they cloud the moon, for example, lots of people and other cats would be able to see the clouded moon, surely if there are other groups of cats with ancestors they would have similar powers? And therefore Starclan might not always be sending these signs, it could simply be an accident, or can Starclan somehow ensure that only the clans see it, and therefore we can assume that Starclan has powers over time and space.

Yup…we’re going all Sci-fi now

It’s all very confusing, and obviously not everything adds up, but I think a book perhaps showing Starclan’s perspective would be very interesting. However, there is still more to discuss but I’ll leave it to you now. Are there any questions you have? Or perhaps you can answer some of mine? What do you think…let me know in the comments!

Fan Articles

Notify of
Sky
Sky
October 12, 2018 1:00 am

This is a very interesting article. I believe that with the whole “moon clouded” thing and that it means StarClan is unhappy is just a myth, the moon being clouded is random and it doesn’t mean a thing.

Star that shines in Jack'O Lantern
Star that shines in Jack'O Lantern
October 12, 2018 9:32 am
Reply to  Sky

I totally agree, Leaders have used the weather to defend actions and condemn them, it all just seems a bit random. Thank you so much!

Sheeptail
Sheeptail
October 13, 2018 3:36 am
Reply to  Sky

I agree it’s dumb it happens for Twolegs too!

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
August 19, 2020 8:13 pm
Reply to  Sky

❄️🐍Viper In The Box; Worst Restaurant Chain🐍❄️
Viperfrost
October 12, 2018 1:24 am

I think you raise some interesting points. Starclan does send useful but vague omens and such to the clans to help them, yet they say that they do not know everything. I believe that this means that they can see different POSSIBILITIES for the future, like they are predicting alternate realities. If you’ve read Wings of Fire, I’m talking about something close to Clearsight’s prophecy ability. I am not sure about the fading process for the dead cats, because its been shown that they can persist even if they are forgotten, or be fading even if they were in recent history. Rock was clearly forgotten by everyone, but he appears to have powers greater than Starclan that might enable him to stay there anyway. Dark Forest cats like Silverhawk and Houndleap, who are not present in recent Clan history and, as far as we know, are not present in tales told to kits/apprentices of their original clans, can still exist. Meanwhile, other cats like Mapleshade, whose story is recent, are noted to be mostly faded away and transparent, even though it is mentioned during Pinestar’s Choice that an elder would tell all the apprentices the story of Mapleshade, meaning that they would have remembered her. It seems to be an inexplicable process. Since Starclan has the ability to reincarnate spirits, as seen with Cinderpelt, I believe that all of the faded cats/killed spirits are simply reincarnated. As for the spirit prey, I think that the desire of the hunter creates the prey. Like, Feathertail wanted to catch some prey, so it was created for her to catch. Starclan does seem to possess the ability to interfere with the waking world, as you said. However, I don’t think it has to do with being from Starclan, because the Dark Forest can do it too, as seen in Crookedstar’s Promise when Mapleshade interferes in order to attract a Twoleg kit to take Willowbreeze away, and again when she forges the squirrel sign that causes Crookedjaw to become deputy. Therefore, I must conclude that since the Dark Forest and Starclan are right next to each other (as seen when Flametail is lured into the DF from Starclan), it must be an ability gained by being on the plane that the DF/Starclan both exist on. This is such an interesting topic, so thanks for writing a cool article about it! 🙂

Star that shines in Jack'O Lantern
Star that shines in Jack'O Lantern
October 12, 2018 9:31 am
Reply to  Viperfrost

Thank you so much!! I find your reincarnation idea really interesting, maybe Dark Forest cats are reincarnated in order to give them a second chance? And Starclan cats are generally rewarded by being allowed to be in Starclan for a long time. Thanks again!

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
August 19, 2020 8:18 pm
Reply to  Viperfrost

I don’t understand how a Starclan cat could go to the dark forest (and the other way around) yes, the dark forest and starclan must be on the same ground but i don’t think that should be allowed. Bc only good cats are allowed in starclan, correct? So how could an evil cat enter? It just doesn’t make any sense. Also, if the dark forest cats could cross onto starclan then wouldn’t they do that and kill the starclan cats? Bc if Flametail could do it, then so could the dark forest cats

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
October 12, 2018 11:40 am

Very interesting article 😆! I think Starclan (and the Dark Forest too) exists in another dimension, which’s on Earth but can’t be seen by most living things 😺. This special dimension allows the Starclan cats to time travel unexpectedly sometimes, so it explains why they know some information of the future but not all about it. They’d also cross to the dimension of living cats to give prophecies. For the omens, they either know some coming events, give them meanings and tell the clan cats, or go to the living cats dimension to make it. Perhaps, the unknown cats that appear in the medicine cats’ dreams are acted by some Starclan cats too 😜. As the Starclan dimension is parallel to the dimension of living things, when the clan cats moved from the Old Forrest to the Lake Territory, Starclan needed to move with them too. It also has it’s own ecosystem there, so there’s prey (and probably some undiscovered “local naturally spirit cats” there too 😛). For the disappeared spirit cats, I think if they’re not killed by others, the reason why they’re not seen in Starclan anymore because they found nobody remembered them and moved to another unkown dimension 😉.

!!Running for senior warrior!!

Wolfpaw (Wolfie)
Wolfpaw (Wolfie)
October 12, 2018 4:06 pm

I realy liked this article. I have two ideas what might happen to the cats that fade or get killed a second time. They might reincarnate, but forget about their past, unlike Cinderheart. Or they just go to another place where they can no longer be seen by the clans, and just live there.

Oof....

Soulfire
Soulfire
October 12, 2018 5:47 pm

I agree with MOST of what you say. However, what I disagree with, is “StarClan has powers over space and time”, as they state clearly multiple times in the books, they do not control everything. I guess it is reasonable to assume that, like ghosts, they can control everything, except the living cats, death, birth, and even really fate. It is mentioned that Crookedstar’s fate was laid out many moons before even Appledusk was born, and that proves that maybe StarCLan DOES control certain things, but they also don’t, such as… say Hollyleaf’s death. In one of the books, Yellowfang says, “maybe if we had tinkered more, Hollyleaf would still be alive”, which shows they couldn’t have known Hollyleaf’s destiney.

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
August 19, 2020 8:23 pm
Reply to  Soulfire

yeah, they had just supposed that Hollyleaf, Jayfeather, and Lionblaze where “the three” but then they turned out to be wrong about Hollyleaf and that it was actually Dovewing, which they didn’t know either. Then they didn’t know there was a fourth cat, and when they did they didn’t know who it was. So in my opion… Starclan doesn’t really control anything. They can reincarnate cats, but not know what a prophecy that they tell a cat about, what it means? And Ashfur! If he was the imposter, (which it suggests in the place of no stars discussion page) then if the Starclan cats knew anything at all, then they would have known that he shouldn’t be let into Starclan. Bc it is mentioned that cats need to go and fetch the cats spirits that die so someone would have gone to fetch Ashfur! Starclan doesn’t make any sense, and nor do they help with anything. They only act once the clan cats do their job for them

Lilacpaw/frost - Li
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
October 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Great article!!! I think the speed of fading depends on how fast the cat is forgotten. I think that the power of StarClan is different for every cat. Like if you completely believed in them, then they have more power to help and guide you, in contrast to a cat who believes in them, but does not care. That is my theory, but I guess we can only come up with theories.

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
August 19, 2020 8:28 pm

yes, but Maggottail, he was in the dark forest before Mapleshade, so I think he should have been already gone, like faded away completely, by the time the Omen Of The Stars series came around

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
October 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Wow! Interesting article! 🙂 I agree with your points.
I always imagine Starclan to be a kind of dreamy forest, if that makes any sense.

thats not very plus ultra of u

Moondapple
Moondapple
October 14, 2018 12:55 am

Interesting!
I personally think that Starclan cats just live in their seperate dens. That confused me when it told us about Feathertail. Maybe there is a camp where Starclan cats store their prey? idk.
Starclan is honestly is so confusing

dingus bloodclan cat

Winterpaw
Winterpaw
October 15, 2018 2:27 pm

I think the StarClan cats are reincarnated into someone that looks like them after they’re forgotten, and they give some of their characteristics to the cat that they were reincarnated into.

Christmas is life

Jadefur
Jadefur
October 15, 2018 11:30 pm

I think that Starclan is important it is in the book I am in the 6th book of the 3rd series of Warriors comment below about the book your in.

Little Falling Feather
Little Falling Feather
October 18, 2018 9:51 pm

This may be getting very deep, but I think Starclan is the ultimate clan, and the ‘real world’ is just a carnival show. I mean really? A lightning bolt hit a log RIGHT after Bluestar was being chased by a fox, and then rain put it out. In my opinion, all theses things are very unlikely.

Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
Stormy Moon That Hides Halloween Candy In Shadow (Storm Shadow)
August 19, 2020 8:34 pm

That’s true, but coincidence’s can happen

Galestar
Galestar
October 26, 2018 4:34 pm

wow. its a whole new world.

/( o 0 o )

Rainbow Turtle That Waves Pride Flag 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈(Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢)
Rainbow Turtle That Waves Pride Flag 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈(Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢)
June 25, 2020 9:18 pm

I have had some of these questions as well! Great article!
MothPool forever

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch