Should Mapleshade Be In StarClan? by Creekdapple

Creekdapple ponders if Mapleshade should’ve gone to StarClan instead.

Art by XemiDraws

Should Mapleshade be in StarClan? It’s a controversial question, and in an attempt to answer it, I’m going to be looking at some of the other villain or villain-type cats in the series whose questionable actions didn’t end up placing them in the Dark Forest, and comparing their stories with Mapleshade’s.

Ashfur got into StarClan after attempting to murder Squirrelflight’s father and (adopted) kits, under the defense that “he loved too much”. Well, the same could be said about Mapleshade, though there are some important differences in their stories that make Ashfur read as an abusive jerk, while Mapleshade comes across to a lot of people as sympathetic.
The two differences I see that might allow Ashfur into StarClan but leave Mapleshade to rot in the Dark Forest are: Mapleshade succeeded in her murder attempts, and she also broke the warrior code before by taking a mate from another Clan. (Though technically that’s not a part of the warrior code in the way it’s stated, but it’s always been interpreted that way, sooo…)
Plenty of cats have taken mates from other Clans though, yes? And most of them managed to get into StarClan. Maybe it’s the combination of forbidden love and murder that barred her from StarClan.

Yellowfang’s situation is similar, though not exactly allegorical. She took a mate as a medicine cat, was banished from her Clan (though not for the same reason), and fed Brokentail deathberries. She’s definitely not a villain, though; maybe a hero who breaks the rules and achieves her goals in a morally gray way. The key difference, I think, is that Yellowfang murdered a villain, while Mapleshade murdered three mostly-innocent cats.

But so far, I’ve only touched the surface of Mapleshade’s motives, which I think could be the key to clearing her name.
She “loved too much”, yes, but her final downfall was, not Appledusk, but her kits. She hallucinated that her kits were crying out to her to save them, and believed that the only way that they could be in StarClan was for her to avenge their deaths, i.e killing three cats that contributed to her kits’ deaths. In believing that you are murdering cats so your innocent kits can take their rightful place in StarClan, do you not believe you are following the will of StarClan?

Mudclaw started a coup against Onestar, thereby betraying his leader and breaking the warrior code, but was still let into StarClan because he believed that he was the rightful leader of WindClan, and that taking Onestar out of power would be following the will of StarClan.

It has been proven that cats who broke the warrior code and turned against their fellow Clan cats can, depending on the circumstances, get into StarClan if they loved too much or if they believed they were following the will of StarClan. The question is, is Mapleshade’s story close enough to said circumstances that she should be forgiven and let into StarClan, or were her actions just too severe?
I would argue that she truly believed she was following the will of StarClan, and they can’t exactly blame her for taking action to save her kits based on what her compromised mental condition led her to believe was what StarClan would want.

The facts are always open to interpretation, though. What do you guys think?

Fan Articles

Notify of
October 23, 2018 12:49 am

(Please excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes, I’m really tired as I write this :V)

I honestly don’t think Mapleshade deserved a place in StarClan after killing three cats, kidnapping and threatening an innocent apprentice and attempting to kill a pregnant queen.

Mapleshade is massively a hypocrite, killing those whom she proles in the kits’ death, despite the fact that she’s just as, if not more, responsible for the deaths as any of her victims, having been exiled for expecting her Clan to be completely fine with her using their dead Clanmate’s names to protect herself from her own crimes and making the kits swim unaided through visibly dangerous waters, with even attempting a safer alternative, such as calling for a RiverClan patrol, searching for a safer route, at least waiting the storm out somewhere, ect.

“I don’t want to!” Patchkit wailed. “There’s too much water”

Mapleshade has no excuse if these dangers are visible to a kit. She had JUST left ThunderClan camp, so it’s unlikely she would’ve been attacked. And they wouldn’t have killed her with kits even if she was caught after a the set time to leave. And also, when she was caught after the accident with the kits, she was calmly offered a chance to leave without a fight, only a threatening of a patrol being called. So at the time when she was still a terrified mother replying to three equally terrified kits, she wouldn’t have been severely injured or killed. Worst case scenario, she’d have a tuft of fur clawed out or perhaps a warning bite or two, but certainly not death. She would’ve most likely have been escorted out through a safer route. Making helpless kits swim through a flood just seemed unnecessary and reckless.
And her victims were innocent. Ravenwing was doing his duty/job, it’s literally apart of the Medicine Code to read and report omens to the Leader. He was killed just because he wasn’t willing to become a traitor/liar to protect someone else for their crimes. His Clan has a right to know, didn’t they? And the best course for Frecklewish to take if she wanted the kits to be saved was inaction. Riverclan cats were already there, the cats more experienced within the situation. If they couldn’t save the kits, no one could. Frecklewish is a Thunderclan, she can hardly swim, there’s very little she could of done. If Frecklewish DID decide to get involved, she’d only be getting in the way, making things worse. If Mapleshade, as another grown she-cat needed saving, then so would Frecklewish, and that would just be wasting the patrol’s time. It’s like getting involved with a fire when firefighters are already there.

And what makes it worst is that Mapleshade last two victims, Appledusk and Reedshine, were to solely avenge herself, as Appledusk actually attempted SAVING the kits and Reedshine wasn’t there as a whole. And allow me to stress this fact out, tired killing a pregnant queen and threatened/kidnapped an apprentice. Both completely innocent, and that can’t be denied.

And I can’t blame Appledusk for never wanting to see Mapleshade again, it’s a completely understandable reaction. It was her stupidity and recklessness that got his kits killed. And he made the better decision by choosing loyalty to his Clan over his one forbidden mate, as he’d be abandoning a whole lot more. All his clanmates, any kin he has, his apprentice, new mate and unborn kits. He had young cats relying on him. It’s also not uncommon for cats to have multiple mates: Dovewing, Crowfeather, Greystripe, Brindleface etc. He also sacrificed himself to save pregnant Reedshine. Besides, it wasn’t Appledusk who made the official call to kick Mapleshade out, it was Darkstar’s. And, Appledusk, as an average Warrior and exposed traitor, was in no position of authority to make any difference to this decision.

And Mapleshade’s mental instability just isn’t enough to justify the despicable things she did, at least for me. Mapleshade was always aware of the Dark Forest, if you remember when she killed Ravenwing she secretly hoped he would go there, so she knew perfectly well what she was doing could easily separate her from her kits forever, but she chooses to do it anyway. It’s with like any villain: Goldenflower is separated from Tigerstar, Snowfur/Whitestorm is seprated from Thistleclaw, etc. Like in real life, doing crimes is selfish as it makes the family suffer just as much as the victims and the criminal themselves. Also, these feral cats, they don’t have a concept on mental illness, so it wouldn’t necessarily be a factor taken into consideration when judging whether a cat should go to Starclan or to the Dark Forest.

mr poop man!!!

October 23, 2018 1:08 pm

I’m less tired now and just realised the sheer amount of sentences I wrote that don’t make any sense

‘And the best course for Frecklewish to take if she wanted the kits to be saved was inaction.’

I meant to write, ‘The best course OF ACTION for Frecklewish to take if she wanted the kits to be saved was inaction.’

‘killing those whom she proles in the kits’ death’, should’ve said ‘Killing those who she blames for the kits’ deaths. (I don’t know how I accidentally wrote it like that, ha ha)

‘And allow me to stress this fact out, tired killing a pregnant queen’ should’ve said ‘And allow me to stress this fact out, she tried killing a pregnant queen’.

‘he wasn’t willing to become a traitor/liar to protect someone else for their crimes.’

The ‘for’ should’ve said ‘from’.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

mr poop man!!!

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
October 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Honestly I think both Mapleshade AND Appledusk don’t deserve each other. They clearly didn’t “treat” each other right. *shakes head* Let’s admit it guys, forbidden love really does bring pain and maybe even suffering. Poor cats who all went through it.

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

🎃🦇🖤Heart of Dark Thorns (Brambleheart)🖤🦇🎃
Sharp Thorns of a Bramble Bush in a Dark Forest
October 24, 2018 12:41 am

WAKANDA FOREVER!! You like Marvel too?! (Black Panther is, like, my second favourite! But nothing beats Doctor Strange)

Bluefire/Blu aka Stormy Skies // Rooktail the Mysterious
Bluefire/Blu aka Stormy Skies // Rooktail the Mysterious
October 26, 2018 1:03 am

WAKANDA FOREVER!!!

(but ur right, nothing beats Dr. Strange)

Bluefire/Blu aka Stormy Skies // Rooktail the Mysterious
Bluefire/Blu aka Stormy Skies // Rooktail the Mysterious
October 26, 2018 1:03 am

WAKANDA FOREVER!!!

(but ur right, nothing beats Dr. Strange)
(except Thanos)
(I’m sorry)

Archpaw who is logged out
Archpaw who is logged out
October 14, 2020 7:58 pm

I love Mapleshade. She’s my favorite cat ever, next to Hollyleaf. But, I think Appledusk doesn’t deserve her. If not for him, SO MANY things would be different. I DON’T blame her for all she did. If someone killed someone you love, wouldn’t you go crazy with grief? Her kits died. If someone killed your kitty, you would be mad, (if you have cat or any pets). I don’t blame her.

mellowix
mellowix
October 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks for copying and pasting all my arguments. Word for word.

- Mellowix

anttail bonk bonk
anttail bonk bonk
November 9, 2018 7:27 pm
Reply to  mellowix

This was copied? Disappointing.

Mistlight
Mistlight
May 26, 2020 4:09 am

I’m in me mum’s cAr but let’s just pretend this is a Halloween name,
Thank you! You stole the words right out of my mouth! It’s sad because sooooo many people go around saying “APPLEDUSK DEVERSES THE DARK FOREST BECUASE HE CHEATED ON HIS GIRLFRIEND. YOU EVIL MANIAC!!!!!! But Mapleshade, who murdered three innnocent cats deserves the happiness of StarClan becuase…..um…….oh yes to see her kits.
Me: any other reason
Some other people: erm……hmmm….well it was Appledusks fault?
Me: that she went insane?
Some other peeps: well……..hmm…umm…..yeah?
So I mean she had NO reason to go to StarClan!

Forestpaw/pool Has A New Obsession With Galantis
Forestpaw/pool Has A New Obsession With Galantis
October 23, 2018 12:55 am

I mean, I am a big Mapleshade defender, but she was a bit more suited for the Dark Forest just because of her murdering a bunch of cats.

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
October 25, 2018 4:15 am

Same 🙂

thats not very plus ultra of u

wolfiapaws123
wolfiapaws123
October 16, 2020 3:04 am

Agreed for sure!

October 23, 2018 2:06 am

Okay, so here’s the thing I’ve never understood: how is attempted murder and actual murder actually all that different? Why does Ashfur get away with a wimpy excuse like “loved too much” and “didn’t actually succeed?” He certainly meant to burn three cats alive and murder his Clan leader.

I don’t exactly think that Mapleshade thought that she was like being a StarClan minion, she just wanted to protect her kits. Any good mother would want their dead kits to have a happy afterlife! Wouldn’t you? And the thing about “OMG SHE WAS OBVIOUSLY HALLUCINATING” makes no sense. You’re not hallucinating if you’re aware that it’s a hallucination…

Good article! 🙂

🎄 Not-So-Sane Hot Cocoa Rain 🎄
🎄 Not-So-Sane Hot Cocoa Rain 🎄
October 23, 2018 3:14 am
Reply to  Sky

okay, I agree with Sky 😀

love lasts forever

Creekdapple
Creekdapple
October 23, 2018 4:43 am
Reply to  Sky

Thank you. 🙂
Yeah, I don’t think she was necessarily trying to work for StarClan, but since she believed that her kits were unable to get into StarClan, and it is the will of StarClan to let innocent Clan cats join them, she would have been following StarClan’s will had she been right about Patchkit, Petalkit, and Larchkit’s fate.

October 23, 2018 10:21 am
Reply to  Sky

Mapleshade’s illnesses/hallucinations really doesn’t ,make it up for me, especially as it was all self-inflicted, when she refuses to take absolutely any of the blame and always shifts the blame on others for the kits’ deaths. By Mapleshade’s own logic, she deserved to die. And, as feral cats, these characters don’t have a grasp on what mental illnesses is, so it wouldn’t be a factor taken into consideration when decided on a cat’s afterlife.

And if Mapleshade’s hardships can cancel out her murders, why can’t it cancel out the actions of her victims. For example,Appledusk is the father of the kits, they are just as much as his kits as they are Mapleshade’s. So if Mapleshade can be excused for killing, why can’t Appledusk’s much less severe action of rejecting his mate who made them swim in the flood in the first place be excused? Especially when Appledusk SAVED Mapleshade and tried SAVING the kits. Frecklewish lost her brother. Then her best friend lies to her, saying she has nephews and nieces, only to find out they are her brother’s murderers instead. By your and the majority logic, they should have an excuse as well as the mass-murderer.

On the part apart about Ashfur, I’ll give you that. He defiantly doesn’t deserve a place in StarClan. He was apparently given a pity-card by Vicky, who claimed she knew ‘what it felt like’ to be in Ashfur’s position. So if someone’s motive is ‘relatable’, then it makes their attempted mass-murder less of a crime.

mr poop man!!!

October 23, 2018 4:21 pm

(Also the last part of my comment ISN’T supposed to be implying that Ashfur’s attempted mass-murder is less of a crime because his motive was ‘relatable’. My wording is just weird because I’m too tired to think lol)

mr poop man!!!

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
October 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Oh so you’re saying that Bluestar’s mental breakdown/illness didn’t give her an excuse to name Brightheart, Lostface? So does that mean that she intentionally did it? Hallucinations and illness does affect a cat btw!! It can make any cat go insane. Bluestar’s last moons were rough because she went through so much. Mapleshade went through a lot too and both were mentally insane. I know this isn’t a valid argument and I know Mapleshade is nothing like Bluestar but all I’m saying is that mental illness and hallucinations really can affect a cat, especially if they’ve gone through such trials during their lives.

Also Mapleshade had no choice! She had to cross the river or else a ThunderClan patrol might kill her or even chase her off. Their lives were at stake either way.

I don’t know why you like Appledusk (just as you don’t know why lots of people like Mapleshade haha). I mean sure he didn’t kill any cat but just because a cat didn’t kill anyone doesn’t mean he’s “a good cat.” And just because someone killed a cat doesn’t make them “a bad cat.” Appledusk just left Mapleshade for some other cat. And I don’t even know why. Maybe he was trying to prove his loyalty but that’s before any cat knew about the kits! Wow what a great way to break up with your mate by cheating on her. Other bad love birds include Ashfur, Bumblestripe, etc. Yeah yeah I know he didn’t kill any cat but if it wasn’t for him dumping her and leaving her to bare the weight of her Clan on her own, well…..mates should stand up for you and protect you no matter what and love you matter what, no matter the wrongs you have done. Appledusk clearly knew he did something wrong but just decided to let Mapleshade take all the blame.

And let me get this straight: Leafpool lied to EVERY CAT except for her sister who lied to her mate and etc. But no cat exiled her after they found out did they? Oh no of course not cause she had two of the Three (Firestar knew) and she just gets everything. Her punishment wasn’t even a punishment. As for Mapleshade she too lied to EVERY CAT! And she broke only ONE of the codes but got the worst punishment. Of course Leafpool wasn’t betrayed by her mate whereas Mapleshade was. Appledusk….I mean yeah he probably was too?? I really don’t know anymore.

So you say that the kits were just as much as Appledusk’s as Mapleshade’s. That is true but Appledusk just left Mapleshade so technically he just let Mapleshade take custody over them while he went off and mated with some other cat. I mean he does love his kits but like…..I mean….😛

Also when were Frecklewish and Mapleshade best friends? Oof it’s been a while since I’ve read the novella.

Both Mapleshade and Appledusk were in the wrong ok? Let’s just agree with that 😛 They both caused pain for each other so fair is fair.

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

October 23, 2018 5:57 pm

What? I didn’t say mental illnesses doesn’t effect cats. My point is, StarClan is made up of feral cats. If the Clan cats don’t even know what a car or a road is, they definitely won’t know about human mental illnesses or how it effects someone. Never once do we see the characters call mental illnesses by their technical terms. The best they do is use vague/loose terms like ‘mad’. So that argument wouldn’t be taken into consideration when deciding the afterlife of a character.

mr poop man!!!

October 23, 2018 10:29 pm

No, but these Clan cats are sophisticated enough to have a well-organized ranking system, as well as two codes with rules, and they have given names to human objects. Anyways, I’m pretty sure that these cats realize that there are such things as being mentally unwell, and even if not, it doesn’t make banishing Mapleshade and not Ashfur any better. They’re fictional characters, and we can decided our own viewpoints using arguments that make sense to us.

October 23, 2018 7:18 pm

I agree with you! 😀 Appledusk rejected a lost, poor mother. He’s really horrible. :/

And I agree. Yes, the kits belong to both, but Appledusk abandoned Mapleshade and his kits to mate with this other cat. He definitely didn’t try to make a case to take his kits with him, he never even asked.

About Freckle and Maple being best friends, I’m pretty sure it’s just common belief from fans… I don’t exactly think that it was said in the books, which is why I don’t accept it as fact.

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
October 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Reply to  Sky

😀

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

*~Stormfur~*
*~Stormfur~*
September 13, 2019 9:03 am

I so agree! Poor Mapleshade was even more innocent than Leafpool but suffered so much more! Yes, she killed lots of innocent cats but that because she believed that they were responsible for her kits’ deaths and she thought she was doing the right thing by avenging them and that if she didn’t they wouldn’t get their rightful place in StarClan! I have always felt sorry for Mapleshade because she got way more punishment than deserved. Leafpool got NO punishment compared to Mapleshade and Mapleshade should have gone to StarClan as well because even though she ws hallucinating she believed her kits were there and talking to her. Sad Mapleshade, Angry Mapleshade, Mapleshade vowing for revenge of the death of her kits, was all because in her head 3 cats had caused their and in her head they had to be avenged. And because she thought she was doing the right thing she should have been into StarClan and i am sympathetic towards her. She was not evil, but vengeful. She killed them to avenge her kits, believing she was saving their place in StarClan and giving them happiness to keep their spirits in StarClan forever.

Archpaw who is logged out
Archpaw who is logged out
October 14, 2020 8:02 pm

wow. aloot

October 23, 2018 7:15 pm

These “feral cats” act like human beings. I don’t ebelive that saying they’re feral cats is a good enough excuse for judging.

Mapleshade didn’t even make them swim. She wanted them to step on the stepping stones, and honestly I don’t blame her for trying to cross the river. She was a desperate mother. Also, Mapleshade didn’t lie, Frecklewish sorta forced the idea on her…. I know that’s not a good excuse, but Frecklewish hoped too much. And I never said that Mapleshade’s hardships cancel out her murders. I’m saying the her hallucinations do.

Yeah, I agree on Ashfur. It’s pretty silly.

October 23, 2018 10:19 pm
Reply to  Sky

Read my reply to Foxie, it covers your first point.

And, while I don’t have the book with me right now, I don’t recall Mapleshade wanting to use the stepping stones? And if she did, why didn’t she?

mr poop man!!!

Creekdapple
Creekdapple
October 24, 2018 1:00 am

I’m pretty sure the river was too high to use the stepping stones.

Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
October 24, 2018 12:58 am

Appledusk tried saving the kits?? Okay maybe? But he turned on her anyway? He must have NO MERCY whatsoever. He completely abandoned a mother who had lost all of her kits! And they were his too! He was being sly and sneaky just to not get into trouble. And then he can go live a happy life with his new mate and kits and completely forget about the incident while Mapleshade had to live through that pain? I don’t think so. I’m not saying it’s justified for her to kill either. I’m just saying I see why and I get it. But killing isn’t the answer. It never is; but then again, leaving a cat alone like that in so much pain isn’t the best either. In Mapleshade’s Vengeance page 44 and 45, it says Mapleshade does try and get her kits to the stepping stones but a wall of debris comes and sucks them down, plus the current is very strong. And Mapleshade’s Vengeance page 52 and 53 she explains an ice slowly spreading through her body (metaphorically) as Appledusk says more and more things, trying to cover up for his own self and so his mate Reedshine forgives him as well as his Clanmates and leader. By the end of the chapter, “Mapleshade slumped down on a clump of dusty dried stalks and shut her eyes. Sleep dragged her away, and her dreams were filled with sights of her kits spiraling away from her in churning black water, screeching for help that never came.” She was in so much pain. Appledusk knew that too. But he didn’t care. His own future was more important for him than this hurt and devastated she-cat.

❃ Leaf

Star that shines in Jack'O Lantern
Star that shines in Jack'O Lantern
October 23, 2018 4:28 pm
Reply to  Sky

I’M WITH YOU SKY!!! I think that Mapleshade, by the end, was driven to madness and we cannot blame the deaths of these cats on Mapleshade, the real Mapleshade would have never done that, it hardly compares to Ashur who attempted to kill 5 cats. I’m not saying that it’s ok to just carelessly kill three cats, but if a cat is not in control when their doing it, we can’t blame it on them. However, I just want to point out that Mapleshade was actually HAPPY in the Dark Forest, so maybe that was the best place for her. But good article!

Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
October 24, 2018 12:43 am
Reply to  Sky

I agree!! Plus she’d had so much pain and her kits were the only live things who loved her so her love for them was probably also intensified.

❃ Leaf

Archpaw who is logged out
Archpaw who is logged out
October 14, 2020 8:00 pm
Reply to  Sky

YES!! FINALLY!! If Mapleshade’s in the dark Forest, he should be with her toooooo

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
October 23, 2018 6:05 am

Let me get this straight:

Squirrelflight never hurt Ashfur intentionally, nor were they mates in the first place. Therefore Ashfur had no right to harm Squirrelflight when no harm had been done to him. As for Mapleshade, she was actually hurt and betrayed!!! Appledusk left her for Reedshine and had kits with her and left poor Mapleshade to deal with the mistake she had made all by herself (when he clearly had a part to play). Mapleshade was blinded by grief! Ashfur’s motives were not acceptable at all because he really wasn’t “blinded by grief or betrayal” but just took it that way because of what HE thought. Mapleshade had hallucinations (but she didn’t know they were because if she knew they were then the whole story would be changed) which made things much worse and she thought she was doing the right thing. Ashfur just wanted to harm Squirrelflight with no second thoughts about whether what he was doing was right or not. As for Mapleshade, she just wanted to avenge her kits!! Whereas Ashfur…..he wanted revenge on Squirrelflight who had done nothing wrong. Mapleshade wanted vengeance because the cats who wronged her actually did. I understand that Oakstar was hurt by the fact that Mapleshade had lied to him about her kits being his son’s but he really didn’t need to banish her AND her poor kits! Especially during a storm! How about after the storm??? Maybe he wanted Mapleshade to suffer. Of course, doesn’t everyone? Ugh. And Frecklewish! She probably wasn’t able to save the kits and she was probably thinking “oh why should I? Mapleshade lied that they were my brother’s when they’re not so I shouldn’t save them.” Well excuse me but the warrior code says to help kits no matter what Clan or who’s they are! I mean maybe Frecklewish couldn’t save them but Mapleshade tried to and she survived so why can’t Frecklewish survive the storm too in a river?? They are full grown cats after all whereas the kits are….well, kits! And then there’s Appledusk…..um I don’t know why he just left Mapleshade to fend for herself and left her for another she-cat?? He’s a player I’d say. I mean maybe he realized his mistake and took a mate in his own Clan to prove his loyalty like Crowfeather (except that Appledusk probably did indeed love Reedshine) but that doesn’t give him an excuse to just leave his other mate like that. They could have broke up in a nicer way and I guess admitted what they had done together because it was both their faults.

Well anyway enough of this ranting. I really don’t know if Mapleshade should have gone to the DF or not but anyway he reason we feel sympathy for her is because her life wasn’t fair. Or was it? Maybe she did deserve her punishment after what she had done. Yellowfang received one, didn’t she? Either way they both had pretty harsh lives. Maybe that’s why we feel sympathy for her. Because she’s like Yellowfang (not really but bare with me). They both were punished for what they had done. As for Ashfur…..his motive was like not acceptable. Trying to kill cats because someone didn’t love you? Um…..ok now you may argue that this is like Mapleshade. Well Appledusk did love Mapleshade!! (I hope he did) But then he just dumped her (idk why) when she clearly still had feelings for him.

So yeah THAT is the difference. Wow I ranted again didn’t I haha. Well idk if this proves anything but yeah don’t look at this and look at Sky’s comment. She debates way better than me 😛

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

October 23, 2018 7:19 pm

My thing is is that if Ashfur goes to StarClan, Mapleshade deserves to as well.

Bracken (Brackenpaw/light) is ALIVE!!!
Bracken (Brackenpaw/light) is ALIVE!!!
October 24, 2018 2:41 am
Reply to  Sky

I disagree, I think they both deserve the DF. It doesn’t matter what the reason, Mapleshade still killed three cats. And, what I feel a lot of people miss, is that she was HAPPY when she ended up in the DF. Ashfur should have been sent there, also. Again, just because your crush doesn’t like you back wasn’t mean you can try to murder their whole family.

My awesomeness comes naturally

October 23, 2018 10:31 pm

I totally agree with you. And also, I feel like Oakstar was SO insanely biased – he decides to banish Mapleshade, probably because Birch something was his son, but he doesn’t banish Eagle something??????????????????????????

Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
Leafsong (Gold Leaves That Adorn New Years Cheer)
October 24, 2018 12:44 am
Reply to  Sky

IKR!!!

❃ Leaf

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
October 23, 2018 10:39 am

Nice article 😺! I think Mapleshade shouldn’t be in the Dark Forest, even though she murdered some cats. In the real wild life, a queen will do everything to protect their kits out of her instincts, including killing others that she considers as threats. Though when Mapleshade murdered three cats, her kits were already dead, she saw her kits crying to ask her to revenge for their lives so that they could be in Starclan. I’m still not sure if it’s just hallucination or not, but it’s clear that when Mapleshade saw that, her instinct of protecting her kits became stronger, which led her to murder three cats. Being a bit out of topic, I think Ashfur should go to the Dark Forest 😾. Someone may argue why both of them can’t go to Starclan, but I think their “love to much” are a bit different 😉. Ashfur’s “love” towards Squirrelflight could be somehow classified as a romantic feeling. If he really loves her, he should let her go to live a free and happy life. Instead, he chose to murder cats that have no relation with Squirrelflight’s rejection (I don’t think it’s a rejection at all, but I just can’t think if another word 😛) to protest and make the she-cat suffer. But the love between Mapleshade and her kits was family love, which made an invisible but strong bond between them. It’s not that mates and romantic partners are not important, but it’s clear that kins hold a very special place in a cat’s heart, especially when those kins are at such a young age. I think most cats have the same feeling for this (*cough cough* but not Rainflower… *cough*). But when the kin(s) dies and the cat is not good at dealing with his/her emotions, cases like Mapleshade’s Vengeance will happen 😿. I’m not trying to say she did nothing wrong. She does deserve some punishment, but clearly sending her to the Dark Forest wasn’t the best idea. What she want most was just her kits being happy and safe. Besides, comparing hers and Ashfur’s actions, the former was actually more understandable then the later.

!!Running for senior warrior!!

🔥▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░Pebblepaw░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂ 🔥 (aka Peb, the Gender-Bias Battler)
🔥▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░Pebblepaw░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂ 🔥 (aka Peb, the Gender-Bias Battler)
October 23, 2018 7:19 pm

I don’t know…………

She got kicked out of Thunderclan and THEN her kits…… well, ya know…… and Appledusk was really unfair to her afterward…… but then she turned completely evil… ya I don’t know. 😐

SrizelFTW

Galestar
Galestar
October 24, 2018 6:29 pm

good read.

Creekdapple
Creekdapple
October 27, 2018 5:28 am

And of course, this is only based on her actions when she was living. I will make no excuses for her after she joined the Dark Forest, when her motive became pure revenge rather than saving her loved ones.

Lilacpaw/frost - Li
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
October 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Nice article! One reason that I think Mapleshade did not get into StarClan for was that she wanted to destroy the Clans before her death. Ashfur died before his hatred could grow into that.

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

Vespa
Vespa
January 29, 2019 1:59 pm

I know this old but I want to comment my thoughts because Mapleshade is my favorite villain. I personally think she did deserve to go to the Dark Forest. What she did was wrong but I am more sympathetic because I understand why she did it. Oakstar just banished her even though he definitely could have waited until the kits were old enough to safely travel. I understand he was mad at Mapleshade, but why condemn the kits? He could have let them and Mapleshade stay until they were old enough to go. The med cat, who’s name escapes me, didn’t have to tell Oakstar. And if he really wanted to tell, then he could have also waited until her kits were old enough. Frecklewish was a lil annoying baby who just assumed her brother was the father because Mapleshade didn’t want to say who really was. She didn’t deny it, but she didn’t really confirm it either. It’s Frecklewish’s fault for taking no answer as an agreement. Appledusk is also a lil annoying baby and basically rejected a broken-hearted mother who just lost THEIR kits to save his own skin. I am not sympathetic to anyone of them and think they deserved it. It was even satisfying to read about Mapleshade killing them. And if we want to get technical, Mapleshade didn’t even kill Frecklewish, a snake did. She let the snake out, but she didn’t actually lay a paw on Frecklewish. But in the end, she is evil. And Mapleshade liked her place in the Dark Forest. And she’s still an awesome villain. I love her so much.

Which brings me to Ashfur. I don’t like him simply because he has “nice guy” syndrome, which makes me not very sympathetic for him. He should not have been let into Starclan. And I will keep my personal headcanon that he went to the Dark Forest. I don’t read AVOS and probably never will so I can keep my hc that he’s in the Dark Forest. I do not accept that he got a free pass on attempted murder because he “loved to much” especially when the same could have been said about Mapleshade. She loved her kits so much that when she hallucinated them asking her to kill, she did it. “He loved too much” is a sucky excuse and I’m sure Vicky knew that. Ashfur deserves to rot in the Dark Forest for what he did, just like Mapleshade. They did the exact same thing, but where Mapleshade succeeded, he did not. But attempted murder is still just as wrong.

Anyway, great read!

Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
January 29, 2019 6:32 pm
Reply to  Vespa

Just to warn you, Vespa, that swears are not tolerated on BlogClan, and that I’ve edited your comment to remove/modify them. Please avoid using swears in the future.

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

Vespa
Vespa
January 30, 2019 2:04 am

Is that so? Then I apologize and will make sure I don’t use them in the future

Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
January 30, 2019 2:07 am
Reply to  Vespa

Yes, the blog is PG-13 as young children are able to come on here (as notable by the kit role, for elementary-aged users).

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

Willow where the flowers bloom
Willow where the flowers bloom
August 31, 2020 11:14 am

Mapleshade should have gone to starclan I feel so sorry for her with her kits drowning. When Oakheart took a mate from a different he was not exiled (Thank god). Mapleshade was probably exiled for lying but many of the cats have done that such as
Leafpool and Squirrelflight.

wolfiapaws123
wolfiapaws123
October 16, 2020 3:03 am

Mapleshade may have loved Appledusk with all her heart, but to Appledusk, she was just a mistress to him. He only cared for her for a little bit. She gave him three kits and he didn’t ask her what their names are. Also, he was pretty much already in a relationship with Reedshine, who did not know of Mapleshade and Mapleshade did not know of her. Mapleshade of course had PTSD and losing her kits was the ultimate downfall for her. She is a good candidate for someone who needs sympathy because after she and her kits were found out, no one cared for her. Only Myler really cared because he didn’t know what she did. So I don’t think that she belonged in Starclan, but the others certainly didn’t have to put all that hate and sadness on her shoulders.

Goldenfawn
Goldenfawn
October 16, 2020 1:04 pm
Reply to  wolfiapaws123

I agree that Appledusk was an awful mate. Butttttt plenty of cats in the books are traumatized in Warriors and don’t resort to murder. For example, Crookedstar (who Mapleshade DEFINITELY didn’t have sympathy for) lost his mate and every kit except one in one fell swoop, and then when Silverstream died he didn’t go murder Greystripe or something lol. I completely understand why ThunderClan was angry with her, she manipulated and lied to them AND had kits with the guy that killed one of them. They shouldn’t have exiled the kits but honestly, I don’t think she would have left without them even if they offered. Appledusk was wrong for blaming Mapleshade, but it’s honestly a very real thing in couples that lose a child in real life. People often need someone to blame for unexplainable and painful events. Divorce or breaking up could happen if the other one blames one, and with the cheating, it was a bit inevitable anyway. 😛

🏳️‍🌈

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch