Analysing Minor Characters 3 : Rushpaw

Maplepaw examined another minor character, Rushpaw. Spoilers for Battles of the Clans!

Artist unknown (Source: Tumblr)

Hey ! So today, Maple is back with another minor character analysis because I don’t like controversy !

And those will be famous last words as my Breezepelt article will probably come out before this. So consider this a peace offering for all the other train wrecks I’ve been giving you recently.

So first off, who is Rushpaw, and why don’t I say her warrior name ?

Well first off I should probably say that this article contains spoilers for Battles of the Clans, so if you haven’t read that, leave now and go read it, it’s great.
Now back to Rushpaw.

Rushpaw is a RiverClan apprentice, whose whole description is a small she cat with short legs. And that’s all we get. Also, another sad things is that Rushpaw never gets a warrior name.
Neither do her siblings Duckpaw or Tanglepaw, at first I thought Rushpaw and Rushtail were the same cat, yet I was wrong.

So why do I like Rushpaw ?

Because she is only in canon for 6 and a half pages, yet she has more personality then some cats who have been in the books for whole series’ have.
In her whole six pages, she shows to be not very confident in her swimming abilities, asking her siblings to swim slower during a training exercise. And one of the first things she says, is about how cold the water is.
This may not seem a big thing, but how many RiverClan cats have we known to not like the water. Well, we know Leopardstar was a drypaw, but other then that, Rushpaw is the only cat in RiverClan to show and discontent at having to swim.
The poor apprentice seems to have a lot going against her, she’s clumsy, doesn’t like the water.
Even Mistystar thinks to herself that she’s doesn’t have the makings of a RiverClan warrior, being even shorter then other cats, and have struggles swimming.
Yet what I love about Rushpaw, is that she goes through a whole character arc in a few pages. And it doesn’t seem forced, everything that happens to her is believable !
She starts off the apprentice who always seems to fail in excercises, and everyone is skeptical about her abilities. By the end of this short story, Mistystar is incredibly impressed with this apprentice, and I can see Rushpaw putting more effort into training and being respected by the other apprentices because of this incident. I like how this story shows cats immediate doubt in Rushpaw.
Tanglepaw is about to call her clumsy, before realising that Rushpaw might have just saved them from having to do the whole thing again ! In the end it was Tanglepaw who nearly gave them away.

Rushpaw is one of the few cats in the series that I feel really struggles with stereotypes about them. Everyone thinks that she’s clumsy, and in my mind this is what contributes to her lack of seriousness and enthusiasm in training.
I also like how her size really affects her, too often are cats called small, just so they seem different, then have it affect nothing in their lives.

Thanks for reading !

Fan Articles

Notify of
Littlefang
Littlefang
November 2, 2018 12:21 am

I love the support you made. I tend to like minor characters more than the main cast somehow.

Still heir to the hare throne

Creekdapple
Creekdapple
November 2, 2018 12:42 am

Nice article. Rushpaw is such a charming character.

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
November 2, 2018 2:58 pm

Cool article 😸! Though Rushpaw only appeared in the series on few page, I like her too. Her character is relatable and like you’ve said, her personality development is great.

!!Running for senior warrior!!

Ravenmist
Ravenmist
November 2, 2018 4:41 pm

I love Rushpaw!!!! I’m also short and bad at swimming. Haha and I love RiverClan!!! Go Rushpaw!!!

Cheetahspark
Cheetahspark
November 2, 2018 10:45 pm

I don’t remember Rushpaw so I’m glad you made an article about her 😛 She reminds me of myself 😉

Maple Not Dressed as Cheetah Not Dressed as Spidey
Maple Not Dressed as Cheetah Not Dressed as Spidey
November 3, 2018 8:06 am
Reply to  Cheetahspark

Right new ship, Cheetah x Rushpaw

🎄 Not-So-Sane Hot Cocoa Rain 🎄
🎄 Not-So-Sane Hot Cocoa Rain 🎄
November 5, 2018 6:51 pm

isn’t that a bit disturbing if Rushpaw is exactly like Cheetah 😛

love lasts forever

Falconbreeze
Falconbreeze
November 4, 2018 3:59 am

Thank you for making this article! It was great!! I would like to say that I haven’t really given much thought to Rushpaw before. Sure, I read that story, and I thought she was a good character then, but didn’t really give her much thought afterwards. This article has made me realize how amazing she is. She’s one of my favorite characters now (I just reread the story also)! Great job, Maple!

What’s Thanksgiving ? (Maple)
What’s Thanksgiving ? (Maple)
November 4, 2018 8:03 am
Reply to  Falconbreeze

Awww that’s such a nice comment, thank you !

Lilacpaw/frost - Li
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
November 4, 2018 10:55 pm

Nice article!! I think that Rushpaw is adorable.

Live. Laugh. Love. Blog.

♡ Moon (Moonbreeze) ♡
♡ Moon (Moonbreeze) ♡
November 5, 2018 2:07 am

I’ve always really liked Rushpaw, too! She’s so ignored but has so much story and character that your article captures perfectly. I love when you write about minor characters, because it really brings them to the spotlight. Love this article!

take aim. draw back. ignite.

• Forest Wolf by Flamekit
  • Pink Rainforest Hummingbird by Flamekit
  • Mountain Bear by Flamekit
  • Ocean Sea Turtle by Flamekit
  • Nika:Magical Panther
  • Alderheart by Whitepaw
  • Kestrelfeather
  • goldenflower and tawnykit:pelt by Turtlepelt