My Personal Feelings on Swiftpaw by Rainstar25

Rainstar25 shares their opinion on Swiftpaw.

Art by Warrior-Junkie

Warning: Extremely unpopular opinion ahead!

I don’t like Swiftpaw. Before you burn me at the stake, let me explain why I dislike the cat who suffered a brutal death.

In “A Dangerous Path”, the 5th book of the first arc, there was a problem with dogs loose in the forest. This was also the time Bluestar’s depression were at its peak; she lost her faith in StarClan and her trust in her Clanmates with the exception of Fireheart, her deputy. After Cloudpaw made fun of StarClan, Bluestar decides to make him a warrior; his warrior ceremony was not like the other ceremonies due to the fact that the other apprentices, Brightpaw, Swiftpaw, Ashpaw Fernpaw and others, didn’t become warriors along with Cloudtail that day.

Swiftpaw, tired of waiting to become a full-fledged warrior, urges the other apprentices to go on a journey with him to find what was in the forest because, at the time, they didn’t know what was inside the forest leaving the rabbit carcasses (I don’t have the book with me so I’m only going by memory so correct me if I’m wrong) to prove they have what it takes to become warriors. Of course, the apprentices turned down such a dangerous plan, but Brightpaw agreed to go with him.

The next day, Fireheart, Graystripe, and Sandstorm, find Swiftpaw’s mauled body and Brightpaw severely injured, but alive.

He died fighting the dogs, protecting Brightpaw as best as he could; I admire that about him. However, it was his poor decision that got him killed. I see a lot of people blame Bluestar for Swiftpaw’s death and I don’t understand why. She didn’t tell him to sneak out the safety of ThunderClan camp and go after whatever was inside the forest.

She didn’t make him a warrior, so what? Swiftpaw chose to sneak outside camp, underestimated the dangers, and got himself killed and Brightpaw injured.

Swiftpaw’s death was tragic and brutal, but it could’ve been avoided if his desire to be a warrior hadn’t cloud his judgement. I’m just glad the apprentices didn’t go with him that day.

Fan Articles

Notify of
Petalpaw
Petalpaw
November 8, 2018 12:22 am

I disagree with you. You probably wouldn’t be saying “so what?” if you were stuck in one grade of school forever. Swiftpaw kept trying to prove he’d be a good warrior but Bluestar completely ignored that. Swiftpaw kept trying to become a warrior, but Bluestar kept ignoring him. Then Cloudpaw became a warrior even though Swiftpaw had been working harder than Cloudpaw. If that happened to you, you’d probably be annoyed as well, wouldn’t you?

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
November 8, 2018 6:19 pm
Reply to  Petalpaw

If Swiftpaw reacted the way he did after not being named a warrior, then he clearly wasn’t mature enough to earn that title anyway. The path to being a warrior is when you’ve gained enough responsibility and maturity, not when you’ve reached a certain age or when your friend/sibling has earned it.

mr poop man!!!

Spring
Spring
November 8, 2018 8:25 pm

I agree completely. Swiftpaw was immature if he reacted that way to not being named a warrior. Just because you have the skills and have been training longer, it doesn’t mean that you’re responsible and mature enough to handle the role.

Daffiolet is otp

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
November 8, 2018 9:19 pm
Reply to  Spring

Exactly. No matured warrior would throw a fit because their visibly mentally unwell leader didn’t give them their Warrior name.

mr poop man!!!

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
November 9, 2018 4:29 am

I agree with my mother (even she has disowned me haha rip) and Marrowfrost! 😀

LØVƎSIƆK BLIИK (runnin’ 4 SW)

I'm in me mum's cAr
I'm in me mum's cAr
November 10, 2018 9:20 am

owo

mr poop man!!!

Fawny With The Freckles (Fawnspots)
Fawny With The Freckles (Fawnspots)
November 8, 2018 12:35 am

I agree, I never really liked Swiftpaw. Great article 🙂

I'm dying

🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
🌈owlfeather-owly🌈
November 8, 2018 2:56 am

I kind of agree, it was his own fault that he went out to investigate something that was obviously dangerous, and also putting his friend in danger.
But I do like Swiftpaw. Nice article! 🙂

thats not very plus ultra of u

Sky
Sky
November 8, 2018 3:32 am

I agree, I’ve never said this before but it’s true. Everyone feels bad for him because of his brutal death (which I WAS really really really really sad at! I wasn’t happy when he died!) but it was technically his fault as well? And his desires got Brightpaw injured…

It’s not REALLY Bluestar’s fault, she was mentally unhealthy and she didn’t tell Swiftpaw to head to his death.

While I admire that he protected his friend/possible crush and died doing so, and while I think that his death was HORRIBLE, I don’t like how he didn’t think. Sure, he died protecting his friend but it was his ideas that got his friend into the situation in the first place. No one asked him to “prove” himself, but he decided to grab his car and a friend and head out to his death.

flowerpower
flowerpower
November 8, 2018 6:21 am

Actually i agree. Hes very overrated and its his fault brightheart got heart so badly

A really generic trans, tbh

Skypaw Just Remembered Blogclan Exist *ooooof*
Skypaw Just Remembered Blogclan Exist *ooooof*
November 8, 2018 6:40 am

This is a great Article

*What do I put here*

Wolfpaw (Wolfie)
Wolfpaw (Wolfie)
November 8, 2018 9:30 pm

I agree. I mean okay, I get why Swiftpaw did it but he is a overrated compared to the fact that he was the reason that Brightheart lost half her face, and he was the reason that he got mauled to death by the dogs.

Oof....

Hawthornpaw/claw
Hawthornpaw/claw
November 8, 2018 11:02 pm

This is very good! I understand and I feel this way a little bit.

Stay happy and calm

Forestpaw/pool Has A New Obsession With Galantis
Forestpaw/pool Has A New Obsession With Galantis
November 9, 2018 7:40 pm

I mean, I never really disliked Swiftpaw, nor blamed Bluestar for his death, sooo…

Lapisdapple
Lapisdapple
November 16, 2018 5:11 pm

I’m kind of halfway here. I think that part of it is Swiftpaw’s fault, yes. he snuck out of camp without thinking. But I don’t blame him for wanting to become a warrior. I understand that maybe he wasn’t as mature as some other warriors, but how would you feel if you were in 3rd grade and your teacher was a little ill and wouldn’t let you leave. Bluestar didn’t not make him a warrior because she thought he wasn’t mature. It was because she was mentally ill and didn’t trust him.

NTACheckingSquad/BadJokeQueen

Something that does something (Moonpelt/paw)
Something that does something (Moonpelt/paw)
July 7, 2020 11:54 pm
Reply to  Lapisdapple

If I was in third grade and my teacher said I couldn’t go to fourth grade, I would say “Yaaaay!!!” Cause I’m the opposite of most people.
(I do NOT want to grow up)

❄️If all is lost, all is found❄️