Briarlight: The cat who truly had 9 lives by Windsong

Windsong takes a look at Briarlight’s life and all the death-defying events in it. Spoilers for AVOS!

Art by idess

Briarlight is one of the kits of Greystripe and Millie, along with Blossomfall and Bumblestripe. In her life (that ran up until River of Fire, where sickness finally got to her) she went through a lot of encounters where she could’ve died. Here are a few.

The first moment was when she was a kit. She was playing with her siblings against the hollow wall. Little did she know, a snake was about to pounce on her. Two cats, Lionblaze and Honeyfern, spotted the snake. But Honeyfern jumped in front of the snake first, so it bit her. As a result, Honeyfern died, and Briarkit’s life was spared.
This is one of the saddest deaths in Warriors, in my opinion. I was reading it at school, and I almost burst into tears in front of all my friends.

The second incident was when she was an apprentice. It was her warrior assessment. Longtail rushed back towards the camp, hoping to retrieve a mouse that Mousefur didn’t want to waste. Briarpaw followed him, calling for him to come back. A tree falls on them both, killing Longtail and seriously injuring Briarpaw’s hind legs. The surrounding cats tried putting up props to lift the tree, but that didn’t work, so the all-powerful Lionblaze held up the tree so that Greystripe could grab her and escape.

It took a while (and a lot of Jayfeather’s patience) for Briarpaw to recover from her injury. She received her warrior name, Briarlight, at the same time as her siblings. She’s grateful that ThunderClan had become used to her injury and don’t stare at her anymore.

Soon afterwards, she gets a chest infection. Briarlight begins to feel angry at her broken spine and the trouble she’s causing for Jayfeather and the Clan. Millie tells her that there isn’t any trouble and she reminds her of what she still has left. Luckily, Briarlight’s fever goes down.

She becomes Jayfeather’s helper, but not a full medicine cat. She continues this role until River of Fire when she sadly dies of sickness. Briarlight was a very brave cat throughout her life, and would greatly be missed by Millie and the rest of ThunderClan.

Fan Articles

Notify of
𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 (𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪) 𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝔽𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕤 𝔸𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕎𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝔹𝕣𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝔸𝕦𝕥𝕦𝕞𝕟 𝕃𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕤
𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 (𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪) 𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝔽𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕤 𝔸𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕎𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝔹𝕣𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝔸𝕦𝕥𝕦𝕞𝕟 𝕃𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕤
January 9, 2019 1:54 pm

This is wonderful! I agree and she was a cat who really had nine lives! Windsong, you are great at articles, and you didn’t describe her whole entire life like I did when I wrote an article! Lovely!

ɪ ᴀᴍ ɴᴏᴡ ʟɪʟʏ, ɴᴏᴛ ꜱᴘᴏᴛꜱʏ!

Flameclaw/paw
Flameclaw/paw
January 9, 2019 3:04 pm

This is lit

Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
Aster is Meowing for Chinese New Year!!! (Asterstorm/ Meowing Aster/ Astie)
January 9, 2019 3:53 pm

Cool article 😸! I’ve never thought of this thoroughly before. Briarlight is really an amazing character 😺.

!!Running for senior warrior!!

Lilacpaw/frost - Li
Lilacpaw/frost - Li
January 9, 2019 8:56 pm

That’s true! I had never thought about this before! Great article!

Hollydapple
Hollydapple
January 10, 2019 12:11 am

Great article! Briarlight is one of my favorite characters along with Jayfeather. She faced so many challenges in her life and was a great cat. I was really sad when she died and in my opinion should have lived a longer life.

Moon That Shines On Snow (Moonripple)
Moon That Shines On Snow (Moonripple)
January 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Briarlight was a great cat and she will be missed by us. She deserved a better life but she was a fighter and died with courage and ferocity. We will always remember you.

Embermoon (Emby)
Embermoon (Emby)
January 15, 2019 2:27 am

Love your article! Briarlight was an amazing cat, and we will miss her so much. I almost started crying at her death!

cherrymist
cherrymist
February 27, 2020 8:05 pm

did anyone else here cry when briarlight died? i did! we will all miss her greatly. may you find good hunting, swift running, and shelter where you sleep. goodbye briarlight! im making a poster in your memory

Moonshadow
Moonshadow
August 31, 2020 5:13 am
Reply to  cherrymist

I cried as well

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch