TSGN Update & Info

Get ready, folks, for a big update on the Trailing Stars Graphic Novel!

Hey hey! It’s Rosefur, and with Kate’s permission, I’ve picked up the TSGN project! TSGN stands for “Trailing Stars Graphic Novel”, and it is a graphic novel of the story established in the BlogClan community fanfiction, Trailing Stars! If you haven’t already, check out the story here.

The plan for TSGN is to pick up where Sleetwing left off. So far, there are four parts of the TSGN available, leading us into the middle of Chapter 1. As you may have noticed, after four parts we still have made little progress through Chapter 1. Due to the content-rich story of Trailing Stars, it will require a lot of hard work to produce a graphic novel covering the entire lengthy story.

That’s where you guys come in! 😀 I’ve split the story of Trailing Stars into multiple “parts”! There may need to be more than one part to cover the content of an entire chapter. BlogClanners like you can sign-up to take one of the parts!

Now, you may be thinking- what if art isn’t your strength? What if you’re great at drawing cats but bad at drawing backgrounds? What if, you’re not sure how to organize it into a comic format? Well, don’t worry! You can sign-up for either a solo part or a group part. If you sign-up for a group part, you will be matched with a few other BlogClanners and you will work as a team together to get your part done!

In a group of 2-4 (exact size depends on the interest this project receives), one of you will be the primary artist drawing the actual characters and artwork. The primary artist is the one with the art prowess, who will be the main one drawing the graphics. Another person will be organizing the set-up of the piece and deciding how to represent the written portion of Trailing Stars you are assigned with images. Finally, the last person will be responsible for touch-ups, possibly things like backgrounds, shading, feedback on the piece, and things like that. They bring the sparkling flair to the piece! These are flexible roles of course! I understand not every team will want to work like this, and I am completely open to changes! When you are assigned a team, if your whole team agrees, simply comment below your alternate plan and I will approve it. Groups adhere to the same rules & requirements as the soloists do (shown below).

Solo BlogClanners take on the entire responsibility of getting their part done. They will be solely responsible for their part! It is a lot of work, so be sure to check that you have the time to contribute to this project!

Finally, some rules!

1. We know some battle scenes may get a little violent, but please try to keep gore away from the graphic novel! A few cuts are fine and all, but just don’t get too graphic (the violent kind) with it! 😛
  2. If you’re working with a team, please be communicative and friendly! If you feel you need to drop out, please please please let me know so I can fill in for you!
  3. Stick to the story! Don’t change the plotline. If in the story Cakestar is eating fresh-kill, Cakestar should be eating fresh-kill, not fighting a fox! As a note, when I assign parts, I will have pre-omitted portions that do not contribute to the main storyline / keep the story moving.
  4. Have your parts done in a month maximum! Whether doing a team or solo part, please do your very best to ensure that it gets done in the time-frame of a month.
  5. Individuals may claim one part maximum, unless otherwise noted.
  6. Have fun! 😀 This is meant to be an enjoyable experience for everyone, and a chance to showcase your awesome talent as BlogClanners!

Here is the form to sign-up for a part! Everyone is pretty much guaranteed a part, since there’s so much content to get through. Also, even though this round of sign-ups is over, a new list will be made later when all twelve of the current TSGN parts are completed! It may take several months for this project to be completed. Since I don’t want to have people lined up who may not still be interested in several months, I will re-open them again when we get to that point. 🙂 Feel free to drop your name in anyways though- you never know, a back-up could be needed!)

More information will be released bit by bit as we go along! Thank you all for your support with this project, and I hope you’re as excited as I am for the TSGN to get rolling again!

If you have any questions, drop a comment!

Suggested Art Programs:

Procreate on iPad, FireAlpaca, (feel free to leave suggestions in the comments I’ll add to the list)

Part Examples:

Organizer Part: Click Here!

Solo/Primary Artist Part: Click Here!

Secondary Artist Part: TBA

Group & Part Announcements:

68 Replies to “TSGN Update & Info”

1. kat
    January 19, 2019 at 7:55 pm

oh yeet I just submitted the form to join.

I’ve been wanting to do some pages for a Trailing Stars graphic novel for a while. My only issue is page design–I’m not good at figuring what would be the best pose and how many boxes are necessary, etc. 😛

• Rosefur
      January 19, 2019 at 10:06 pm

Kat I’m so excited to see what you come up with for this project! 😀

• Kat
        January 20, 2019 at 4:36 am

I’m curious–are we going to have firm and consistent character designs, or is it going to just be up to each individual artists to determine a unique design?

• January 20, 2019 at 9:52 am

I can help make a few cat designs if you like, I love creating unique ways to interpret the simple descriptions and I think I’m decent at making them nice enough to draw over and over without it taking ten billion years !

Somewhere that’s Green

• January 20, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Good question! Characters who have a predetermined / pre-existing design will stay with their design. For characters like Copperclaw and Dawnmist, who have fairly consistent designs and have already been drawn by Jayfrost as well as in the first four graphic novel parts, I ask that BlogClanners look to the previous parts to determine how they would like to draw these cats. On the other hand, for characters like Cakestar who have not yet been drawn in the graphic novel, the first member to have a part where she is introduced can decide the exact design- while referencing the BlogClan wiki and allegiances design description. Then for characters that don’t have a described design, the first person to draw them can design them and that will be the set design for the future parts. 🙂 Basically, when drawing a TSGN part all you need to do is first check if it was a character previously drawn before (ex Dawnmist, Copperclaw), a character that has not been drawn before in the graphic novel but with a clear description (ex Cakestar) or a character that doesn’t really have a clear description, which you can then determine the design. I know it sounds a little confusing haha, but I will elaborate on this as I designate parts! 😀 I’ll also probably put a post up at some point sharing information and existing descriptions of the Trailing Stars characters.

❤ Loyal Warrior of BlogClan! ❤

• Embers on a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)
      January 20, 2019 at 5:03 pm

KAT found you 😛 I talked to BlogTeam because I was genuinely curious, and we decided that since you’ve been here forever and were ” an important blog member in the past,” (Kate Cary, BlogTeam HQ. Retrieved 20 January 2019), it shouldn’t be a problem if you just hopped back into being a senior warrior! It’s the least we can do for you 🙂 Unless it creates a scandal, though I find that unlikely.

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

• Kat
        January 20, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Oh that sounds great! Thanks for finding out for me. I think I’m going to do that at the end of the month . 🙂 Thanks again to you Emberdawn and thanks to all of the rest of the BlogTeam!

• Embers on a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)
          January 20, 2019 at 8:46 pm

No problem!

Moderator, BlogClan's Deputy

2. January 19, 2019 at 11:09 pm

I sent in a form! Although my previous name was Hazelsong, so it might be a little confusing. I’m horrible at backgrounds but I can do good cats!

relish = pickle smoothie

3. Wishi Wishes For Someone💖(Wishpaw)
    January 20, 2019 at 1:44 am

signed up hope i get it

• January 20, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Everyone who signs up will get a part! 🙂

4. Squirrelpaw
    January 20, 2019 at 6:56 am

May I do a drawing? I am going to post a picture on the wiki on my page ( squirreltalon ) and you can see if you like my art.

I vote Alderheart

• January 20, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Anyone can join! Simply fill out the form above to sign-up. 🙂

5. January 20, 2019 at 7:52 am

I suck at drawing rip 😛

Vouch for Sandy!

• January 20, 2019 at 2:57 pm

No way, I’m sure you’re awesome! 😀

6. January 20, 2019 at 9:51 am

Hey when I sent in my form (I’m Maplepaw (Mapledrift) by the way ) I said that if I was in a group I’d like to be the primary artist but I could also be a touch up artist. I just didn’t really want to click organiser as I don’t think I’d be that good at working out page set up
    But yeah I’m cool with doing a page on my own or being in a group as either a touch up artist or primary artist (but preferably primary artist)

Somewhere that’s Green

7. January 20, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Final lists with parts and information will likely be released sometime near February 1st, if you signed up keep an eye out for them! 😀

8. Kat
    January 21, 2019 at 5:18 am

Rosefur–I just have one quick question. I understand if my request is not feasible, and will take no offense if you say no. Would it be at all possible for me to receive my individual assigned work sooner than February 1st (perhaps via email and not publicly, if that would be better)? This next week is just my least busy time of the year (I’m still on break from college) and could probably get the most done in a short amount of time. Of course I will still be able to fulfill my duties if I receive it after, so no worries if I’m asking too much. Again, I understand you’re very busy and it’s a lot to organize so I totally get it if you’d prefer to wait until February 1st. 🙂

• January 21, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Hey Kat! I’ve shifted some things around on my list and I’ve now got you set as the first part to go, so you can definitely start early! 🙂 I’ve emailed you at the email you provided in the google form, that should contain all the information you’ll need! If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let me know! Have fun with your part! 😀

• Kat
        January 21, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Okay, got the email! Thank you so so so so much! I really appreciate it! I’m really excited to get it started! 🙂

• Kat
        January 21, 2019 at 10:45 pm

Hi! Another question! If I do mine in a several pages format, do I email you each finish page individually (and upload to my dA also individually), or would you prefer it in a batch once it’s all finished? I think I can have the first page done in the next few hours. Thanks! 🙂

• January 22, 2019 at 12:17 am

Both work! 🙂 I don’t mind receiving each page individually! 😀

• Kat
            January 22, 2019 at 9:52 pm

Okay, I emailed you the link to the first page of four to make. I’m probably going to finish page 2 tonight. 🙂

• January 23, 2019 at 12:32 am

Got it! Looking forward to page 2! 😀

• Kat
                January 23, 2019 at 3:50 am

Sent! 🙂

9. January 21, 2019 at 6:17 pm

I have a question . Do you think I could get my part early. I feel like my school loads just gonna get worse and I don’t want to have more stress on my plate. If it causes more trouble I can wait till February .

• January 21, 2019 at 10:09 pm

I’ve decided I might actually just release the list early, since it seems preferred for everyone! 🙂 I’ll have it out as soon as I can.

❤ Loyal Warrior of BlogClan! ❤

10. needs star allies for firstbreathday (Lupinetail)
    January 22, 2019 at 6:18 am

might join (it all depends on my bad memory)

can my name be hidden or something (like anonymous, if no then that’s ok)

its fun to stay in the
    Y
    M
    C
    A

• January 23, 2019 at 1:57 am

What do you mean by hidden? Like when I release your final graphic novel part to BlogClan, you’d like your name to be omitted?

11. January 22, 2019 at 9:28 am

Rosefur I still can’t open the link… maybe it’s because I’m in China 🙁

Running4SW! <3

• January 23, 2019 at 12:33 am

No worries Crystie! Just let me know here in a comment whether you’d like a solo or group part, and if group, whether you’d prefer to be a Primary Artist, Secondary Artist, or Organizer.

• January 23, 2019 at 3:00 am

Thanks! 😀 Maybe group part and Primary Artist? 😛

Running4SW! <3

• January 25, 2019 at 12:51 am

Sure thing! I got you marked down. 🙂

12. March 17, 2019 at 4:46 am

Whether I get the part of the main artist or not (I picked the “Any!” option), I’m still curious about one thing:
    What are some good programs on iPad/mobile that I can use (free, preferably) to make those type of comics for the graphic novel? I just want to know any good suggestions.

♡ 🐱 ♡

13. Sleetwing
    April 5, 2019 at 3:30 am

I just found out this was a thing again after Kat posted on DeviantArt, and I just had to make an account to comment! Its been so long since the last one, this definitely needs continuing. My middle-school self would be so thrilled to see this, haha. Maybe I will try and sign up for a part again down the line! Edit: Also woah, the website has changed so much