496 Replies to “Superhero Discussion Page”

1. Hawthornpaw/claw
    July 6, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Far from Home was amazing.. See it If you haven’t.

• July 6, 2019 at 5:44 pm

Omg yassss!!!
      I loved it so much <3 I might even say it's one of my top three favorite Marvel movies :0

Where are the avocados?

• Cheetahspark
      July 7, 2019 at 2:31 am

I loved it ahhhh! I literally screamed at the end of the post-credits scene 😛

• Hawthornpaw/claw
        July 7, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Me too!

• July 16, 2019 at 12:16 am

My jaw hung open the whole time with BOTH post credit scenes!

tears rising to the rim

• Cheetahspark
          July 16, 2019 at 5:45 am

I didn’t know there were two until I called my brother the next day and I obviously hadn’t seen the second one so I was so angry 😛 I know what happens in it, though, and I’m so hyped to see what happens next.

• July 19, 2019 at 1:48 am

It was so good! Oh my gosh, the post credits scene, I need the next one now 😛

Insert creative signature here

• Fireleap
      July 10, 2019 at 1:13 am

I’m going to see it with my friend for my birthday and I can’t wait!!!

Procrastinator Extraordinaire

2. Eaglefrost
    July 7, 2019 at 12:20 pm

The Thor Problem

In Endgame, we saw Thor deteriorate from the assertive god of thunder to a depressed shell of his former self, all the while, still trying to maintain a carefree, sorta, attitude. Since seeing Endgame, this has bothered me. However, after researching it, I believe that the answer to the “Thor Problem” is dysfunctional families.

According to Wikipedia (yes, I can use Wikipedia, since this isn’t a school research paper,) a dysfunctional family is “a family where conflict, misbehavior, and often child abuse or neglect on the part of individual parents occurs continuously and regularly, leading other members to accommodate such actions.” It is clear that Thor’s family is full of conflict.

In all dysfunctional families, there is a set of “unspoken rules.” Some of these rules include: don’t talk, don’t feel, deny, children are not to be seen or heard. Thor’s family is a textbook definition of the “don’t talk” rule. This rule states that family members must not talk “about important things, about the secrets that bloomed in the family, not about matters of the heart.” Odin kept two major secrets from his family: Loki’s heritage and Hela, his firstborn. Odin revealed Hela’s existence to Thor only after he had already achieved a healthy view of himself. In Endgame, if I remember correctly, Thor freaks out when Bruce mentioned Thanos. While this is likely just a normal trauma response, it could also be due to the ingrained rule of don’t talk. Odin’s ways of dealing with problems are to deny they exist and it appears that Thor has picked up this particular trait as well.

Another hallmark of dysfunctional families is boundary problems. A family with too loose of boundaries is one where the boundaries are almost nonexistent. The children, especially, are vulnerable, as no one is there to teach them what is appropriate and what is not. To contrast, a family with too rigid of boundaries is one that allows for very little self-expression. Very little love is expressed. The final type of boundary problems that I will discuss is that of dual boundaries. This is when boundaries are both too loose and too rigid in the same family. For example, one parent may let a child get away with virtually anything, however, the other may not allow them to do anything at all. I feel like this is where Thor’s family fits in.

With Hela, Odin had no boundaries, until she became too dangerous and then he locked her away, never to be mentioned again. With Thor, he really didn’t seem to have any boundaries either, at least not until Thor acted recklessly and attacked the Frost Giants for no reason. Then, Odin punished Thor severely, denying him of his powers and exiling him to Earth. This would be very confusing to Thor, who, in human years, is somewhere around 18 or 19 in the first movie. By the time Endgame comes around, where he has failed, he doesn’t know how to with the repercussions.

Finally, dysfunctional families have “roles.” Some of the roles include the hero, the scapegoat, and the mascot. Thor fits the hero role to a T. The hero is described as someone who is “usually the oldest child. The superkid. The overachieve. The excellent student. The gifted one. Pride of the family. Members point to him as proof of what a great family they are. Hero’s accomplishments allow family to continue in denial about any problems.” This is speculation, but Thor was likely constantly praised in childhood while Loki was ignored. He has learned that he must always shine. So, when he failed to defeat Thanos, this had a very negative effect on Thor’s psyche and he turned to his family’s long-time patterns of denial. He still wanted to present himself as the king of New Asgard, and as long as that was what he showed to the outside world, then he was fine.

Sorry this was so long, but I needed to rant and solve my problem. 😂

• July 7, 2019 at 3:35 pm

I totally agree with you. And to paraphrase loki in ragnarok, “talking out our problems was never our family’s forte.”

tears rising to the rim

• Eaglefrost
        July 7, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Ooh, I’d forgotten about that.

• Cheetahspark
      July 7, 2019 at 4:05 pm

This was so accurate and well thought out ooo

• Eaglefrost
        July 7, 2019 at 6:29 pm

I spent about an hour last night rereading my old material I got from therapy and typing this monstrosity which feels like a school essay in of itself. 😂 But I hate it when people make a “controversial” statement without having any facts behind it. Lol.

3. July 7, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Who is everyone’s favorite marvel character? I would have to say……
    Spider-man. (I know that pretty much all the replies are gonna be something along the lines of not being able to choose 😂)

Star Wars And Cats

• Cheetahspark
      July 7, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Yeah, I can’t choose, but spider-man and iron man are definitely main favorites 😛

• July 7, 2019 at 4:19 pm

I really like loki and thor. I also love Steve and nat. Underrated characters are Erik and Heimdall. Erik is hilarious and heimdall is so extraordinary

tears rising to the rim

• Goldenfawn
      July 7, 2019 at 4:46 pm

It’s super hard to choose 😛 Probably Steve, Nat, or Peter Parker.

• July 7, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Spooder-man all. the. way. 😛

Where are the avocados?

• Hawthornpaw/claw
      July 7, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Captain Marvel (in Captain Marvel, not Endgame), Spider-Man, and Captain America.

• July 8, 2019 at 3:11 pm

I actually like captain marvel too! I don’t really uderstand people’s hate for the character except for “UGh ItS WhITeWaShIng”

tears rising to the rim

• Hawthornpaw/claw
          July 10, 2019 at 1:28 pm

I think she’s a great character, and she deserves respect.

• July 15, 2019 at 6:28 pm

I like her, It’s just… I feel like she wasn’t developed enough. Like in Endgame she wasn’t there for the ENTIRE movie, except when she flew in at the last second, saved everyone, and then left. SHE JUST LEFT! Idk, it just felt kinda weird.
          (I really liked her in Captain Marvel though)

Where are the avocados?

• Breeze that Glides Through Summer
      July 10, 2019 at 12:13 am

spiderman, iron man, captain america, black widow, scarlet witch, and gamora!!
      and also luis from ant man and the wasp he’s the best 😛

so basically like all of them 😉

• Fireleap
      July 10, 2019 at 1:17 am

Loki, but I also like Thor and Peter Parker.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire

• July 16, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Idkkkkk 😛
      Probably SPOODER-Man though 😛

I am procrastinating
      yeet

• July 19, 2019 at 1:51 am

Spider-Man!

Insert creative signature here

4. July 10, 2019 at 2:46 am

Who do you think the next big bad will be after Endgame? I really hope it’s Dr Doom or maybe Galactus?

tears rising to the rim

• Cheetahspark
      July 17, 2019 at 4:25 am

Dr Doom would be awesome! I love the (original) Fantastic Four films so I’m a sucker for him 😛

5. July 10, 2019 at 3:30 pm

I saw Far From Home yesterday………

It was awesome!!!!! And that post-credits scene is making it very hard to wait for the next Spider-man movie.

And here’s some info that might be sad:

If Far From Home doesn’t hit $1 billion in the box office there will not be a 3rd Spider-man movie. But that’s very unlikely for it not to hit 1 billion because it’s already at $577 million worldwide after a week. So we probably will get a 3rd Spider-man movie.

Star Wars And Cats

6. Cedar isn't logged in
    July 11, 2019 at 12:29 am

*spoilers for far from home*

I am so excited for the next spiderman movie!!! The post credit scene made my jaw drop do much. I I MEAN HOW IS ANYONE NOT EXCITED ITS J JONAH JAMESON

Far from home spoilers above!!

• Cedar isn't logged in
      July 11, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Oof thanks for edit person who modded thus comment

7. July 14, 2019 at 11:51 am

Post credit scene of spider man far from home….
    I cant even…
    like….
    I am shooketh

Somewhere that’s Green

• Hawthorn works at Scoops Ahoy (Hawthornpaw/claw)
      July 14, 2019 at 8:45 pm

same

Fallen leaves and Thanksgiving

• July 16, 2019 at 12:18 am

WHAT THE-

– Peter Parker AND Aunt May

[Mod edit: allusions to full-swears are preferably kept off the blog 🙂 ]

tears rising to the rim

• July 17, 2019 at 5:10 am

Thanks moddo 🙂

tears rising to the rim

8. July 14, 2019 at 12:47 pm

I really liked Spiderman Far From Home! 😀 I haven’t actually seen Homecoming yet, I’ve got to work on that now 😛

Insert creative signature here

9. July 16, 2019 at 12:25 am

*Warning: this contains spoilers for Far From home, if you haven’t seen it what are you doing with your life*

So, if you were the no. 1 marvel fangirl and waited until the end of FFH, you would know that for the ENTIRE MOVIE, Nick and Maria were actually Talos and his wife. Meanwhile, the real nick fury was chilling in a big ol spaceship. I have some theories for this.
    The first one is that he is setting up for S.W.O.R.D. SWORD, if you don’t know, is basically the alien outer space version of SHIELD. this could help set up Captain Marvel 2, as well as possibly next avengers movie.
    The second is one that I heard in a youtube video, but it is that Carol has gone missing somehow, and Nick is trying to find her. This could be the reason why Talos Fury freaked out when Peter mentioned her and said: “DoNt EnvoKe HeR nAmE”. How would she go missing? I dint know. But it would be a great setup for CM 2.
    Anyway that’s it. Pretty shirt but I just wanted to share that

tears rising to the rim

• July 16, 2019 at 4:39 pm

wait wait wait wait wait wait
      was there like a second post credit scene

because I saw the one with the video of peter

but I don’t remember this

was it after the final credits because my family are big marvel fans but we thought that we had seen the end of credits scene so we left

oh no

Somewhere that’s Green

• Cheetahspark
        July 17, 2019 at 4:28 am

That was my reaction when I found out there was a second one too 🙁 I’m so mad I didn’t stay till the very end – I was sure there was only one! It looked like the credits were over.

• July 17, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Hmm… interesting…. the one about SWORD sounds accurate, that would be a cool plot actually 🙂

Where are the avocados?

10. Breeze that Glides Through Summer
    July 21, 2019 at 3:09 am

all the new mcu announcements form comic con have me screaming hahaha , i think i’m probably most excited for the black widow movie because natasha is my favorite!! today is the wildest day and i love phase four already aaa

• Cheetahspark
      July 22, 2019 at 2:30 am

sameeeee I can’t wait to see more of her and finally learn about budapest 😀

11. July 21, 2019 at 7:47 pm

At first I was excited for Thor 4. Then I heard they recasted Natalie Portman, this time as a FEMALE THOR. After all Taika Waititi did for us in Ragnarok he’s giving us this trash. 0/10 why you do me like dis Taika

tears rising to the rim

• Cheetahspark
      July 22, 2019 at 2:29 am

I’m not against the idea of a female Thor, however, I love Chris Hemsworth and am not the biggest fan of Natalie Portman/Jane so yeah I’m not very excited either 😛 But who knows, maybe it’ll be super good! Taika is an amazing director, after all.

12. Goldenfawn
    July 22, 2019 at 5:29 am

The phase four lineup is super exciting! 😀

• July 22, 2019 at 7:33 am

Yes it is! But I’ll miss the old characters🙁

The power of friendship

• Goldenfawn
        July 23, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Me too. 🙁 I really hope they don’t take the OG 6 out of the intro.

13. Fireleap
    July 23, 2019 at 8:28 am

I was super excited for Thor 4, but I’m really not a fan of Jane, so that dampened my excitement for this movie considerably when I found out her character would return. But it’s Taika Waititi, and I loved his work on Ragnarok, so who knows. Plus bi Valkyrie! Other than that, I’m excited for Black Widow and Black Panther 2. I hope we get a confirmed Spider-Man 3 soon though, after the first end credits scene from Far From Home I really want to see what happens next.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire

• July 23, 2019 at 8:53 pm

I’m super excited for Black widow, I just hope it’s still PG-13 😛 I’m also really excited for the disney+ series’!

tears rising to the rim

• Fireleap
        July 23, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Same! Loki is the one I’m most looking forward to but Falcon and the Winter Solider and What If? both look good too.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire

• Hawthorn works at Scoops Ahoy (Hawthornpaw/claw)
        July 24, 2019 at 2:25 am

Yeah I’m excited for the shows, but my mother says she doesn’t want the Disney+ service 🙁

Fallen leaves and Thanksgiving