Violetpaw analyses Tallstar’s choice of Onewhisker as deputy and subsequent WindClan leader.
Hello, I’m Violetpaw and I’m going to talk about why Tallstar was wrong when he appointed Onestar (Onewhisker) as deputy instead of Mudclaw:
1. Tallstar was ill. He did it at the wrong time and with the wrong witnesses. If he had done it properly, with WindClan cats instead of ThunderClan cats watching, then Mudclaw probably wouldn’t have rebelled, and even if he had, there wouldn’t be enough cats following him.
2. The whole Darktail thing. I mean, I guess Tallstar didn’t know, but that doesn’t negate the fact that Onewhisker had an illegitimate child with a kittypet. If Onestar hadn’t been leader, then he would have been dead by the time Darktail came, and then Darktail probably wouldn’t have cared so much about the Clans and tried to destroy them, and WindClan wouldn’t have closed their borders, and Mudclaw wouldn’t have let him take over the Clans.
3. Like it or not, Mudclaw would have never let Leafpool and Crowfeather run away together. But the thing us, they loved each other so much that they would have been apart without learning that that was better (which probably wouldn’t have happened without running away) and he would have never let Leafpool join WindClan, so Crowfeather would have joined ThunderClan. That way, Jayfeather, Lionblaze and Hollyleaf would have grown up with a happy, honest family and Hollyleaf would have never run away.
Also, Breezepelt would never have been born, would never have joined the Dark Forest and would never become the annoying furball that he is now (I say this as someone who has not read Crowfeather’s Trial, so does not have information on the apparent growth that happened to him as a character)
4. The names. I know this is kind of random, but think about it. Onestar. Mudstar. Onestar. Mudstar…
5. Tallstar’s reasoning was that Mudclaw was too violent for WindClan. But the thing is, Onestar brought much more trouble on WindClan than Mudclaw would have ever done. He almost declared war on RiverClan because a few kits went missing, he had a kit who almost destroyed the Clans and he left this disaster for Harestar to clean up when he died.
Tell me how you feel in the comments!