Why Tallstar made a mistake choosing Onestar by Violetpaw

Official art by Wayne McLoughlin

Violetpaw analyses Tallstar’s choice of Onewhisker as deputy and subsequent WindClan leader.

Hello, I’m Violetpaw and I’m going to talk about why Tallstar was wrong when he appointed Onestar (Onewhisker) as deputy instead of Mudclaw:

1. Tallstar was ill. He did it at the wrong time and with the wrong witnesses. If he had done it properly, with WindClan cats instead of ThunderClan cats watching, then Mudclaw probably wouldn’t have rebelled, and even if he had, there wouldn’t be enough cats following him.

2. The whole Darktail thing. I mean, I guess Tallstar didn’t know, but that doesn’t negate the fact that Onewhisker had an illegitimate child with a kittypet. If Onestar hadn’t been leader, then he would have been dead by the time Darktail came, and then Darktail probably wouldn’t have cared so much about the Clans and tried to destroy them, and WindClan wouldn’t have closed their borders, and Mudclaw wouldn’t have let him take over the Clans.

3. Like it or not, Mudclaw would have never let Leafpool and Crowfeather run away together. But the thing us, they loved each other so much that they would have been apart without learning that that was better (which probably wouldn’t have happened without running away) and he would have never let Leafpool join WindClan, so Crowfeather would have joined ThunderClan. That way, Jayfeather, Lionblaze and Hollyleaf would have grown up with a happy, honest family and Hollyleaf would have never run away.
Also, Breezepelt would never have been born, would never have joined the Dark Forest and would never become the annoying furball that he is now (I say this as someone who has not read Crowfeather’s Trial, so does not have information on the apparent growth that happened to him as a character)

4. The names. I know this is kind of random, but think about it. Onestar. Mudstar. Onestar. Mudstar…

5. Tallstar’s reasoning was that Mudclaw was too violent for WindClan. But the thing is, Onestar brought much more trouble on WindClan than Mudclaw would have ever done. He almost declared war on RiverClan because a few kits went missing, he had a kit who almost destroyed the Clans and he left this disaster for Harestar to clean up when he died.

Tell me how you feel in the comments!

Fan Articles

Notify of
Spring
Spring
June 7, 2019 2:53 am

Honestly, I agree wholeheartedly. I still don’t like Onestar (he’s complex but still infuriating) but Mudclaw is meh- I wouldn’t have liked it much, but I would’ve preferred Mudstar over Onestar. (Onewhisker was better tbh.)

However, I hold the opinion that Tallstar should’ve made Ashfoot deputy instead so we could’ve gotten Ashstar like we deserved. (I don’t particularly like any of the WindClan leaders that much)

Daffiolet is otp

Violetpaw/Violet That Grows In The Hufflepuff Common Room
Violetpaw/Violet That Grows In The Hufflepuff Common Room
June 7, 2019 7:56 pm
Reply to  Spring

Deadfoot should not have died. Then Crowfeather would have had an alive dad and we would have got Deadstar

Spring
Spring
June 7, 2019 8:51 pm

Ashstar or Deadstar would’ve been much better than Onestar

Daffiolet is otp

Drizzlestar
Drizzlestar
August 23, 2020 11:54 pm

HAHAHA. I’m not sure I like that! Deadstar?

Honeypaw/cloud (Honey that reflects summer clouds)
Honeypaw/cloud (Honey that reflects summer clouds)
June 7, 2019 10:10 pm
Reply to  Spring

Same!

♡ Moon (Moonbreeze) ♡
♡ Moon (Moonbreeze) ♡
June 8, 2019 12:10 am
Reply to  Spring

Hazy you are so right 🙂 I 100% agree! Deadstar or Ashstar would have been amazing – Ashfoot was an amazing minor character and my favorite WindClan cat. I really wish she had been leader instead. 🙂

take aim. draw back. ignite.

shadowfang
shadowfang
October 8, 2020 7:46 pm
Reply to  Spring

I agree with Ashstar. I’ve only read vision of shadows and so far I like Harestar.

Star That Falls Through Navy Sky * Muffinfern * Navy
Star That Falls Through Navy Sky * Muffinfern * Navy
June 7, 2019 6:30 am

🙂

Wants a DW discussion page.

Cedarpaw
Cedarpaw
June 7, 2019 6:32 am

Personally, I don’t like any of the windclan leaders, but I think that one star was the right choice. I do agree with number 1.

forever you are my star☆

Moonlight
Moonlight
June 8, 2019 8:56 pm

anyone would’ve made a better leader than Onestar }:P

still waiting for TES: VI

Firestorm
Firestorm
June 12, 2019 12:19 am

Breezepelt is not an annoying fur ball, I mean yeah he was in the dark forest but if you read Crowfeathers trial than you will learn that Breezepelt is actually a very loyal cat and puts his clan before himself, plus for like the whole book its like Crowfeather trying to get to know his son better.

Firestorm
Firestorm
June 12, 2019 12:20 am
Reply to  Firestorm

oops just read on so sorry for that comment but really good book you should definitely read that book, but still he isn’t an annoying fur ball

Spring
Spring
June 12, 2019 3:28 am
Reply to  Firestorm

That’s a subjective opinion, Breezepelt can be an annoying furball to some. And besides, I’ve read Crowfeather’s Trial and honestly, his redemption wasn’t good. He fought his own Clanmates in the DF battle and almost killed a pregnant queen and blind medicine cat. Breezepelt may have “redeemed” himself but cats still give him glares for his hypocritical statements, as shown in Darkest Night / River of Fire (can’t remember which though). Honestly, he isn’t very loyal in my opinion, and never really puts the Clan before himself unless it’s for Nightcloud (because he’s a mommy’s boy, honestly) or Heathertail.

Daffiolet is otp

shadowfang
shadowfang
October 8, 2020 7:49 pm
Reply to  Firestorm

I haven’t read Crowfeather’s trail yet, but did you forget the time Breezepelt attempted to murder Jayfeather and Poppyfrost, a BLIND MED. CAT AND A PREGNANT QUEEN?!?! Sorry I don’t like Breezepelt.

Silverfire
Silverfire
June 13, 2019 9:32 pm

I don’t know, I think Onestar wasn’t that bad, I think he was just under a lot of pressure. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Tallstar because he didn’t know what would happen. He thought he was doing the right thing.

Vortexfang
Vortexfang
November 23, 2019 2:51 am

No. Poor Onestar for having to break his friendship with Firestar because his clan believed he was not the rightful leader.

Fight me! I am the DoG!

Half-eye
Half-eye
December 7, 2019 3:09 am

Wait does anyone else think that maybe tallstar chose him instead of mudclaw because he knew firestar would be more likely to help a friend’s clan instead of a hostile one?

Half-eye
Half-eye
December 8, 2019 2:22 am

Try it to see which warrior you are at
Which

Turtle ADORES TallXJake! (Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢)
Turtle ADORES TallXJake! (Turtlepaw/ dapple 🐢🐢🐢)
August 1, 2020 8:33 pm

OneWHISKER would have been a good leader. It’s just as OneSTAR that he messed things up.
Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Silver moon that lurks in the shadows ~ Silver Shadow
Moonfur
August 17, 2020 2:10 am

I hate Onestar and deffinetly agree that Ashfoot should have been made leader instead. Onestar was not the right choice, and he should have chosen Crowfeather as his deputy instead of Harespring, a dark forest warrior. Tallstar was just old when he told Onewhisker he wanted him to be leader. But I also agree with Turtle and that Onewhisker changed when he became Onestar

Hollyfern
Hollyfern
September 24, 2020 6:37 pm

I think Tallstar kinda didn’t make a mistake because Onestar was way better when he was Onewhisker and Tallstar didn’t know he was going to turn out like that

shadowfang
shadowfang
October 8, 2020 7:44 pm

Onestar is one of my least characters, don’t get me wrong I really like OneWHISKER but Onestar was a complete jerk. I think Tallstar could have chosen ANY OTHER CAT FIR STARCLAN’S SAKE! OneWHISKER should have told Tallstar about Smoke and Darktail.

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch