Spottedleaf: Useless or Misunderstood? by Small Flower

Small Flower debates over whether Spottedleaf was a waste of prey or just mistaken.

Art by ClimbToTheStars

**Minor spoiler warning. Read at your own risk**

A huge amount of the fandom absolutely despises Spottedleaf for being a stalker and/or a granny. I disagree — an opinion not shared by many. However, Spottedleaf haters, don’t kill me yet. I see your point in hating her. She loved Firestar even when she was a medicine cat, and she didn’t let the code stop her. But she was never mates with him — yes, they loved each other, but that doesn’t automatically make them mates, unless there’s some part of the warrior code that I never knew about.
OK, let’s get to the point.

According to the unofficial Warriors wiki, Spottedleaf is a…

small, lithe, dark tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat with large, warm amber eyes and white-tipped ears. Her coat is distinctively dappled and mottled with orange and brown markings, and she has a small pink nose. One of her eyes is rimmed with darker fur than the other, and she has small white paws and a black-tipped, gold and brown striped tabby tail.
That’s it. Word for word.

Now, she loved Firepaw. That is the main reason we — or rather, most — hate her. But is it really that big of a deal? Firestar — er, Firepaw loved her back. However, they both knew they could never be mates, both because of a huge age difference and because of the fact that Spottedleaf was, in fact, a medicine cat.
We also hate her because she’s a “granny” and a “Mary Sue” and a “stalker”, but that’s not the point. The point is that Spottedleaf was wise — wise enough to realize that she could never have kits with Firepaw. It would be risky and stupid.

Okay, fast-forward to when Spottedleaf dies. ” She was alive for, like, 100 pages! She did one important thing and then died. ” Let me explain what’s wrong with that.
First of all, YOU knew her for about 100 pages. You have no idea what she was like as a kit, an apprentice, and a medicine cat before Into the Wild — unless you’ve read Spottedleaf’s novella, “Spottedleaf’s Heart”, which if you hate her you probably haven’t. Perhaps you’ll feel bad for her after knowing what she had to sacrifice. ” That’s not so bad! Stop — ”
No. YOU stop, fake commenter. I respect your opinion completely; I agree with you a little bit. But I think, she deserves more love than she actually gets. She’s a great character, and I’m terribly sorry that she died — TWICE. (( Imagine dying twice! Wouldn’t that be horrible? ))

Now — Spottedleaf’s cons.

Spottedleaf was NOT self-absorbed in any way, however, I can and will admit that she was a bit too old for Firestar. Now, if you hate Spottedleaf but ship Bracken x Sorrel, you are the most literate hypocrat in Warriors history. Brackenfur is like, what, 9 years old when Sorreltail dies? And she was about 5 or 6?
I know. This is supposed to be SPOTTEDLEAF’S CONS. I’m losing control here.
Back to the point. She was a medicine cat, but she was rebellious enough to show her love for Firepaw — which I can see how the fandom sees disloyalty in that. She was also a pretty average medicine cat, despite the fact that she was *ahem* EXAGGERATIVELY beautiful. We get it, she was beautiful, it was mentioned at least twice in the first book. I mean, she is pretty good-looking, though. No joke.
Also, being a medicine cat, she was like a mother to the Clan. It just would have been weird if she took a mate, and especially if she and Fireheart/star had decided to have kits.

I’m still really sad that Spottedleaf died, despite her pros and cons. She wasn’t a flawless character, she was actually kind of Twoleg-like — surprising, right? She had her flaws — she was overprotective and worried too much — and there’s not a good reason, well, not to like her.

That’s really all I have to say — thanks for reading! Have a great day <3

Fan Articles

Snow Which Gently Falls on Briar Branches (Ria- she/her)
Snow Which Gently Falls on Briar Branches (Ria- she/her)
October 15, 2019 1:27 am

Ahhh I loved Spottedleaf!
I prefer Sandstorm, tho
Nice article!!

Blossomkit
Blossomkit
October 15, 2019 3:20 am

Nice article 👌

A very artsy Cloudy 🎨
A very artsy Cloudy 🎨
October 15, 2019 6:28 am

The biggest flaw in Spottedleaf’s character is that she can’t let go. She can’t let go of her love to Firestar, so she tries to help him and his kin.
I don’t think it’s actually a bad thing; it gives her development, and stops her from being bland.
Nice article!

❄ . • ° Ivyla ° • . ❄
❄ . • ° Ivyla ° • . ❄
October 15, 2019 7:07 am

Ooh great article!

Sunpaw
Sunpaw
October 15, 2019 11:00 am

I like Spottedleaf, and i haven’t even read her novella

Brightpaw (pool)
Brightpaw (pool)
October 15, 2019 8:00 pm

I liked her better when I read her novella, but she’s still just an okay character in my opinion. (And I never got Fire x Spotted. I always saw Spottedleaf as a mother figure, not a love interest–I think Sandstorm is a way better mate for Firestar.)

Foxtail (Foxie)
Foxtail (Foxie)
October 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Yes a mother figure or older sister or something ^^ I like that idea

Brightpaw (pool)
Brightpaw (pool)
October 17, 2019 12:22 am

not related, but
AHHHH Foxie I haven’t seen you in so looooong!! ❤️

Flamecloud the Earth Seal
Flamecloud the Earth Seal
October 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Great article! I personally never had much of an opinion on her when I read the original books, but I liked her in her novella.

Violetpaw/Violet That Grows In The Hufflepuff Common Room
Violetpaw/Violet That Grows In The Hufflepuff Common Room
November 3, 2019 11:06 am

I don’t really like Spottedleaf, but it’s because I find her boring and pointless, and you’re right about the age thing (not really BrackenxSorrel because the age difference isn’t that bad, but ThornxBlossom is messed up)

Jayda
Jayda
September 22, 2020 2:58 pm

She was okay but I’m not a fan of her. I don’t think she deserves all the hate and I definitely don’t think that she deserved to die and fade away.

Spiritleaf
Spiritleaf
November 18, 2020 10:12 pm
Reply to  Jayda

jk also good article! :3

Embers of a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)
November 18, 2020 10:19 pm
Reply to  Spiritleaf

Hi, Spiritleaf.

I just want to firmly remind you to be polite when commenting and replying to others. This means not insulting people, not saying that they deserve to die, not attacking people over their opinions, and not using mature words such as swears on a site that is child-friendly. For the reasons listed before, we have already been forced to delete five of your comments on the blog, which could go up to six or more depending on your behaviour.

BlogClan does not tolerate such behaviour here as we want to keep our atmosphere light-hearted and safe for people to hang out in, so please respect how we conduct our business here on this site and we will respect your fervent love of Spottedleaf 🙂

Spiritleaf
Spiritleaf
November 19, 2020 2:23 pm

oh sowwy

Spiritleaf
Spiritleaf
November 19, 2020 2:24 pm

I’ll be behaved next time MODERATOR

Embers of a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)
November 19, 2020 2:52 pm
Reply to  Spiritleaf

Good, I’m glad you understand. I hope to see no more uncalled for comments from you then 🙂

Spiritleaf
Spiritleaf
November 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Spottedleaf is not useless or misunderstood she’s perfect sandstorm isn’t either each breed of cat here is equally perfect
but spottedleaf her breed would look so good on my wallpaper she’s amazing her breed looks so frickin cute!!! Love spottedleaf the goddess for meh

Spiritleaf
Spiritleaf
November 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Spottedleaf is a hard working cat she talks to the stars and talks to the ancient leader of thunderclan this girl is lucky not like sandstorm to the only thing she uses are claws!! You know I see the episodes and books I see the work spottedleaf tirsisly done and firestar still thinks sandstorm just a claw user as a mate!?!? Spottedleaf sounds like a better mate for him

Dovepaw
Dovepaw
November 19, 2020 3:14 pm
Reply to  Spiritleaf

I mean, this is my opinion, buuut
Sandstorm is better 😛
Spottedleaf is kinda stealing the relationship from Firestar and Sandstorm, but she’s still a good cat 🙂

Gems of the Fall Dawn ( AmberDawn)
Gems of the Fall Dawn ( AmberDawn)
November 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi I’m new

Rainypaw
Rainypaw
November 19, 2020 3:12 pm

Yay!
I love Spottedleaf too!
Is a tortoiseshell and white cat the same as a calico cat?

Dovepaw
Dovepaw
November 19, 2020 3:17 pm
Reply to  Rainypaw

I think so, yes 😛

• COOKIES ✨ (Silverfeather/Silvy) on The Hazelpage
  • COOKIES ✨ (Silverfeather/Silvy) on The Hazelpage
  • COOKIES ✨ (Silverfeather/Silvy) on The Hazelpage
  • halfpaw who finally drew her profile pic and is the fluffiest chimera cat who used to be cinnamonpaw who likes indie pop (you can call me pumpkin/cinnamon/halfpaw/ or halfheart) on BlogClan Tavern
  • "Wait- It's December??" ❄️(Potato/Blueflower, she/her)☃️ on BlogClan Tavern

• Rosefeather
  • The phone really isn't ringing
  • Wrenwing:kit