Why the sunning rock battles made no sense by Moonpaw

Moonpaw wonders why exactly the two Clans fought over the Sunningrocks.

Art by duckei

This is my first article so I hope everyone likes it. Now, I’ve always found the many battles between Thunderclan and RiverClan for the sunning rocks in the first series to just be a way to have Tigerclaw kill Redtail.
In my opinion, the sunning rocks should have always belonged to RiverClan. They were in RiverClan territory to begin with, so the river drying up a bit shouldn’t mean RiverClan temporarily loses some of their territory to Thunderclan! We know this is true because in Omen of the Stars: The Fourth Apprentice, there is a drought, and the lake, and pretty much all of RiverClan’s hunting grounds, dry up. However, Thunderclan doesn’t just temporarily take RiverClan’s hunting grounds, so it doesn’t make much sense for Thunderclan to think they can just take the sunning rocks in the first book, either. Also, if the river overflowed a bit, Thunderclan wouldn’t stand for RiverClan taking the flooded part of their territory, so why would they want to take the dryer part of RiverClan’s territory?
In Thunderclan’s defense: the sunning rocks are really relaxing, while RiverClan’s hunting grounds are useless in The Fourth Apprentice, because one, they don’t know how to fish. Two, there isn’t any prey in those rivers/ the lake anyway. Also,…Thunderclan is the “protagonist clan” in the first series, so any battles they fight are justifiable? At least, that’s the impression I got when I re-read Into the Wild.
With all this in mind, I can safely say that Bluestar should not have let her clan go into battles, many of which cats wouldn’t return from, for the sake of another clan’s relaxation spot, so I don’t see much reason why these battles are part of the plot, other than for the who done it mystery in the first series of Redtail’s death, which, don’t get me wrong, is a good part of the plot and was definitely NOT useless, I just think the battle used could have been better, say, a battle over prey or a case of repeated border crossings, even a false murder accusation, if the authors wanted to stick with a meaningless battle between Thunderclan and RiverClan, but the sunning rocks battle just didn’t make much sense to me.

Fan Articles

Notify of
Purple Dusk
Purple Dusk
December 8, 2019 1:39 am

Thanks for posting your article Moonpaw!

Yeah, after a while the Sunningrocks battles make little sense. I think the Sunningrocks battle was mainly thought for the first book. Do you recall that the first book was suppose to be the only book? Thank goodness we got more books, but Sunningrocks did not get fix.

But here is an idea to fix Sunningrocks. Why not make Sunningrocks neutral territory?
Both Clans can come relax and share tongues.
Hunting rights become an issue that be solved with negotiation. Either no hunting or limited hunting.

Battling for Sunningrocks rocks make sense with hunting and glory. However the battles for the camping grounds at the lake make no sense except to lose warriors. ShadowClan can barely get food there, much less Thunderclan. Gee, thanks TigerStar for starting a pointless freud between Thunderclan and ShadowClan.

Thanks Moonpaw for waking up my brain!
Purple Dusk

Moona (Moonpaw/leap)
Moona (Moonpaw/leap)
December 8, 2019 2:39 am

Gosh I wrote this a while ago…

Tell them Naegi

❄ . • ° Ivyla ° • . ❄
❄ . • ° Ivyla ° • . ❄
December 8, 2019 8:48 am

great article, Moonpaw! I like your points and I agree, Sunningrocks were just… *shrugs*

━━━⊰ .•°❄.•°❄.•°❄

Briarpaw, who- AHHH! LOOK OUT! SHE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!
Briarpaw, who- AHHH! LOOK OUT! SHE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!
December 8, 2019 7:35 pm

Nice article, Moona! I’ve never really thought about that until now…

I need to change my siggie

Moona (Moonpaw/leap)
Moona (Moonpaw/leap)
December 9, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks! (Wow you actually called me Moona without it being in my name instead of Moon there’s already a Moon people)

Tell them Naegi

The Raven does not celebrate Halloween so if you were expecting a new Halloweeny nickname then prepare to be disappointed (Raven || Ravenpaw/thorn)
December 9, 2019 3:13 am

I know it’s basically that ThunderClan and RiverClan are actually just fighting over a bunch of rocks that you can sit on and is comfortable.

never ask 'who are you?'

Flame with a Super Creative Halloween Name
Flame with a Super Creative Halloween Name
December 9, 2019 3:24 am

Nice article!

The Earthliest Earthling

🔥▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░Pebblepaw░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂ 🔥 (aka Peb, the Gender-Bias Battler)
🔥▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░Pebblepaw░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂ 🔥 (aka Peb, the Gender-Bias Battler)
December 9, 2019 4:25 pm

I agree that RiverClan shoulda kept them 😛

SrizelFTW

Moondapple
Moondapple
January 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Sunningrocks is just a Walmart parking lot now lol

dingus bloodclan cat

Moonmist is getting the hang of emojis 😊
Moonmist is getting the hang of emojis 😊
March 20, 2020 8:16 am

Yeah

Hopesight
Hopesight
May 3, 2020 8:54 pm

I liked your article, but I think it’s ThunderClan territory, not that it matters anymore, since Sunningrocks is a Parking Lot. 😛

Bloodmoon (was flamestar)
Bloodmoon (was flamestar)
August 25, 2020 1:25 am

You know that protagonist simply means the one your following and the protagonist could be evil right?

• Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch