Medicine Cats Should Be Able To Fall In Love by Dawnpaw

Dawnpaw argues why medicine cats should be allowed to have mates.

Art by DarkBroken

Ah, forbidden love. It’s one of the cliches of warrior cats. And it’s honestly not a bad thing. But after 40 books, it gets boring, and sometimes you think “Seriously? Just have some kits already – no one will care.”
Yeaaaaaaah.
So in this article, I’ll be focusing on medicine cat forbidden love, and not warrior forbidden love.
The first thing I want to point out is that every ThunderClan medicine cat after Featherwhisker, starting with Spottedleaf, has fallen in love.
Spottedleaf – Firestar
Yellowfang – Raggedstar
Cinderpelt – Firestar
Leafpool – Crowfeather (And Mothwing if you’re into that)
Jayfeather – Half Moon
Alderheart – Velvet
Yeah. It seems pointless to keep this rule when it keeps getting broken.
And it really is a stupid rule. I mean, sure, kits might be distracting to a medicine cat, but doesn’t every cat get distracted by their kits?
Moth Flight, I love you. You’re a great cat. But your rule is a little bit overboard. Just because you freaked out whenever one of your kits was hurt doesn’t mean Acorn Fur will. Or any of those ThunderClan medicine cats.
So I’m going to suggest a way to solve this problem. The idea was originally suggested by Summertail on YouTube. And I think it’s a great idea.
The idea is that in order to have kits, you must have an apprentice. Then you’ll can assess your apprentice while you’re nursing your kits.
If the apprentice does a good job, then you’ll know if they are ready to earn their medicine cat name. If not, then…they need more training.
If you are a she-cat, you’d obviously be a queen in the nursery during this time period. If you are a tom…I’m not sure. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what a male medicine cat would be doing during this time.
In all, i like forbidden love. It’s interesting and adds drama. But maybe it could be incorporated a bit differently, and not with medicine cats. Maybe even having mates with cats from different Clans. Remember Cloudberry and Ryewhisker? No?
They were a pair of mates in Code of the Clans. Ryewhisker ended up dying to save Cloudberry’s life.
I personally think they’re a cute pairing that’s never talked about. And Cloudberry’s leader, Emberstar, actually tolerated this! But this was before the warrior code.
I wish there was still pairings like that.
Thank you for reading my first article! Dawnpaw out. 😉

(Embix edit: The image link broke 🙁 I had to use another image. Sorry, Dawnpaw!)

Fan Articles

Notify of
𝓟𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓸𝓱 𝓛𝓸𝓷𝓮𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽
𝓟𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓸𝓱 𝓛𝓸𝓷𝓮𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽
January 30, 2020 3:13 am

I agree! (I’m a bit of a rebel no heartbreaker, as mom calls me 😂 myself anyway) However, I personally don't like the Ryewhisker, Cloudberry pairing, but yes, it should be talked about more. I quite suspect that a male Medicine Cat would most likely be doing his duties, and looking after his mate and kits.

Hail The Rising Lordess

Dawnpaw Who Loves Candy (Dawnpaw)
Dawnpaw Who Loves Candy (Dawnpaw)
January 30, 2020 3:15 am

(That’s okay, I like your imagine more)
AHHHH I published an article! Yasssss!

Yes, I am a theater kid.

𝓟𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓸𝓱 𝓛𝓸𝓷𝓮𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽
𝓟𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓸𝓱 𝓛𝓸𝓷𝓮𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽
January 30, 2020 6:36 am

I know it’s an amazing feeling, getting an article out!

(PS: When replying to comments it’s a good idea to clickity, clickity the big blue reply button. We don’t want a BlogClan littered with comments that are meant to be replies after all!)

Hail The Rising Lordess

Dovestream
Dovestream
January 30, 2020 6:32 pm

Nice article…
If i had a medicine cat mate, it would be Jayfeather(Sorry, Half moon lovers…)
BTW, who is velvet?
I have only gotten to shattered sky…

Dawnpaw Who Loves Candy (Dawnpaw)
Dawnpaw Who Loves Candy (Dawnpaw)
January 31, 2020 3:43 am
Reply to  Dovestream

You’ll meet her in River of Fire.

Yes, I am a theater kid.

Blossomkit
Blossomkit
January 31, 2020 7:23 am

Agreed

MeOw KeRcHoW

Spooky Silverlight
Spooky Silverlight
January 31, 2020 6:24 pm

I agree. Mothflight was young when she was taking care of her kits, and she overreacted about the whole situation and ended up making that rule. What I think should happen is that they should choose to have kits when there is already a queen nursing kits that have grown up a decent point. Once the kits are born, the queen can nurse the kits until they are old enough to eat solid food. Although they’ll be separated from their mother, since the medicine cat would be checking on the queen and the kits anyways, I guess that makes up for it. Not sure how Mothflight expected every medicine cat to get rid of their feelings of love for another cat so easily. It’s really hard to do that, and I wish that rule never existed. If you look at how many forbidden relationships happened, it’s seems that this rule isn’t very effective.
Yup, there’s my rant. I still think it’s an unfair rule.

it’s spooky season 🎃

Turtlepaw/ dapple hopes this comment doesn’t get eaten by the comments monster.
Turtlepaw/ dapple hopes this comment doesn’t get eaten by the comments monster.
February 5, 2020 2:49 pm

YES MEDICINE CATS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE MATES BECAUSE THEN WE COULD HAVE ALDERXNEEDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copperkit
Copperkit
February 7, 2020 6:05 pm

I totally agree!! But Cinderpelt is not in love with Firestar. Sorry, my opinion, but it’s a wacko theory.

Snakefur of Rootclan
Snakefur of Rootclan
February 11, 2020 4:59 am

I agree! Med.cats should be able to fall in love but if they have kits and dont have an apprentice to help cut the kits out of the sack thingy……..that would be awful, thats the bad part about that.

bibeed
bibeed
August 11, 2020 7:46 am

i ship alderheart with needletail

Jayda
Jayda
September 21, 2020 11:30 pm

I think her rule was a good one. It would be way too distracting because they have a duty to their clan and they don’t have time for mates and kits. So I think the rule is a good one even if it’s hard.

Jayda
Jayda
September 24, 2020 9:26 pm

I take back what I said. I think medicine cats should choose if they want a mate and kits. Like it should be their decision