Darkness Within Spoiler Page

Spoiler page for The Broken Code #4: Darkness Within!

Official cover art by Owen Richardson (presumably)!

We’re jumping right into making this a spoiler page since we have the title, cover, and blurb for the fourth installment of The Broken Code!

Embers of a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)

Embers of a Winter Dawn (Emberdawn)

Writer, photographer, moderator

BlogClan's deputy

1.6K Comments
Whistlesong
Whistlesong
December 5, 2020 4:05 pm

I just kind of feel like these 4 books have all been the same: Bramblestar is gone, there’s an imposter, the leaders hold a Gathering about it, they argue about it, decide to wait and see what happens, then do absolutely nothing to change anything. Then repeat that 4-5 times per book and voila. Plus how many times can the characters shuffle their paws nervously, or exchange glances nervously, or do anything “nervously” frankly. What happened to warriors who are fearless or reckless or prone to anger or any other emotions other than being nervous? I will say I do like that we got to see the Sisters again, and that we got to see some other characters from each of the Clans, even if they were just mentioned. It seems like there are sooooo many cats now, and with POVs in three different Clans, we don’t get much character development on many cats other than the main characters. I miss from previous arcs where I felt like I really knew the personality of most of the cats in ThunderClan, where now I don’t think we’ve even heard from at least half of them this arc! I know it’s hard with three different POV Clans to deal with, but I’d like for some of the marginal characters to also get a little of a personality and share the spotlight!

Also, do we have descriptions for some of the new cats introduced? I know it’s minor, but as a reader I like to know what these cats look like, rather than just being like a tabby like Tempest, Reedclaw, or Beekit, I like to know their colors!

Doestrike
Doestrike
December 7, 2020 11:49 pm
Reply to  Whistlesong

I think DW’s main purpose was (to)

1. Reveal the impostor

Streamflower
December 10, 2020 10:42 pm
Reply to  Doestrike

I doesn’t. Which is why I’m asking Kate Cary

December 20, 2020 3:07 am
Reply to  Streamflower

You need to address it to her by name.

Birchfoot
Birchfoot
December 20, 2020 3:14 am
Reply to  Brillig

yes, to clarify, the mods leave comments directed to kate in moderation so she can more easily find them, otherwise, they’d get lost in a sea of comments

Streamflower
Streamflower
December 20, 2020 7:21 pm
Reply to  Birchfoot

Okay, got it!

Birchfoot
Birchfoot
December 20, 2020 7:27 pm
Reply to  Streamflower

🙂

Streamflower
Streamflower
December 7, 2020 7:52 pm

How exactly did Ashfur make Bramblestar sick?

Doestrike
Doestrike
December 7, 2020 11:48 pm
Reply to  Streamflower

He convinced Shadowsight to lay him on the moor to freeze

Streamflower
Streamflower
December 8, 2020 2:24 pm
Reply to  Doestrike

That wasn’t the answer to my question. What Shaodowsight did to Bramblestar didn’t make him I’ll it what alowed Ashfur to become possessed.

December 14, 2020 7:36 pm
Reply to  Streamflower

I don’t know, maybe we’ll find out in the later books.

Featherpelt
Featherpelt
December 25, 2020 9:29 pm
Reply to  Brillig

I can’t wait for The Place Of No Stars and A Light In The Mist to come out in 2021!! The final 2 books of The Broken Code!!!!

Valleyheart
Valleyheart
December 20, 2020 4:54 am
Reply to  Streamflower

I was wondering that too. I mean, first there was Bramblestar acting weird and everything, and then he just…collapsed. What on earth went on there?

December 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Spoilers for Darkness Within
So here is my monologue on Darkness Within.
First of all, poor Shadowsight. I mean really. So he has to be demoted because he might not be fully trained for being a medicine cat. Really? Wasn’t he the same age as most medicine cats when they get their full name? But, okay, Mothwing, I’ll take your word for it. I don’t know what herbs are supposed to be wrapped or dried or whatever.
But if the issue is that he’s inexperienced, so teach him! Puddleshine and Mothwing weren’t teaching him! Also, it’s not like Puddleshine was so gifted at being a medicine cat. He didn’t WANT to be a medicine cat. ShadowClan was desperate.
And then you give him the job of taking care of Ashfur. Who recently tried to kill Shadowsight. Brilliant. Whose idea was this? Also, if you’re so worried about Shadowsight treating cats- didn’t they want to keep him alive? And now you’re sending Shadowsight to spend alone time with the cat who tried to kill him, who might be out for revenge, and who we already know is an expert manipulator. Really, what did you expect was going to happen? I think Tigerstar needs to start talking over his decisons with Cloverfoot and Dovewing.
And in the end of the book, Rootspring and Bristlefrost hear a screech of pain, but we know they never attacked Ashfur. Poor Shadowsight. This does not bode well…
I did like that the Sisters showed up again, but who is this Pancakes kittypet, and how does he know them? And why was Leaf still hanging around them? I thought toms are supposed to leave forever and speak to the earth or something.
Speaking of speaking to the earth-now Rootspring can do it too. Tree won’t be very happy.
But I’m really glad Ice is alive! She was sick in Tree’s Roots and she wasn’t in Squirrelflight’s Hope so I was sure she had died. I’m really glad she didn’t. Does Tree know this? I hope so.
I feel like the whole Bristlefrost-Rootspring thing is slightly forced. I mean, we already know that Rootspring had a crush on Bristlefrost for moons, but this book was literally the first time it showed her returning those feelings. Besides, who thought it would be a good idea to send the two of them on a quest together?
Does anybody else get the feeling the Needleclaw is living up to her namesake?
I’m glad Spotfur is expecting kits! Stemleaf lives on! Something for Spotfur to live for! I already have names and everything. 😉
Does anybody else get the feeling that Warriors is becoming more…more explicit? There are children who read these books, you know!
In the prologue, Leafpool thinks that some cats still didn’t forgive her for lying about her kits? Who? Let me yell at them.
How did Ashfur bring Squirrelflight through the Moonpool to the Dark Forest? If it was a portal wouldn’t the medicine cats have noticed by now? I thought it only worked if spirits use it! And even allowing that Ashfur is a spirit, what about Squirrelflight? And shouldn’t their bodies still be there?
What exactly did Rootspring and Tree hope to accomplish be telling the Clan leaders that the spirits were fading? They can’t do anything about it. Do they want a mass panic?

Spoiler

Featherpelt
Featherpelt
December 25, 2020 9:49 pm
Reply to  Brillig

The Portal part will most likely be explained in The Place Of No Stars, either in the preview or when the whole book comes out. Are you excited for the preview? I think the preview will come out around the end of next month based off when Veil Of Shadows‘s preview came out. I think the screech of pain was Lionblaze hurting Shadowsight. As for how Squirrelflight and Ashfur got their bodies into the Moonpool, I don’t know. but this is the first such time that this has ever happened I believe. I think that might also get explained in The Place Of No Stars.

December 29, 2020 1:19 am
Reply to  Featherpelt

I hope it does!
Poor Shadowsight….

Lionpaw
Lionpaw
December 26, 2020 12:02 am
Reply to  Brillig

not poor shadowsight, he deserved EVERYTHING he got the dumb cat
But i agree with everything else tho- needleclaw is a mix of Hollyleaf, Bristlefrost, and Needletail in my opinion
i’m kinda mad spotfur is expecting tho- maybe we’ll find out more in her novella!

December 29, 2020 1:20 am
Reply to  Lionpaw

No he didn’t! He was manipulated!
Speaking of Hollyleaf, I hope she shows up at some point.

Windstorm/paw
Windstorm/paw
December 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Minor Darkness Within spoliers
I just finished Darkness Within. It was average for me, I really liked Rootspring and Bristlefrost, but Shadowsight is getting treated TERRIBLE! HE doesn’t even know when a cat has whitechough, which most warriors do!

My new theory is that Onestar is doing something bad this arc

Derz
Derz
December 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi Kate!
Why is Mistystar not so smart in the latest books?

raven will eat your bread (raventhornpaw)
raven will eat your bread (raventhornpaw)
January 4, 2021 6:46 am
Reply to  Derz

Not Kate, but because she’s old?

Lightbreeze
Lightbreeze
December 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Ok, I’m going to review rant now

Rant Warning + DW spoilers
Ok, in Darkness Within, the Clans finally decided to kill Bramblestar’s body so that they can get rid of Ashfur.

…WHICH LITERALLY MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!

What were the Clans trying to accomplish when they came up with that plan? I know they wanted to kill Ashfur, but that’s not how it works!

Ok, so if you kill someone’s body, then their spirit is still alive and can go to the afterlife. This holds the same for Bramblestar’s body. If you kill the body, you’re not hurting Ashfur, you’re hurting Bramblestar! Ashfur doesn’t need Bramblestar’s body anymore, so it’s not doing anything to prevent Ashfur, he’ll just find a way around and will continue wreaking havoc. So Bramblestar will die and Ashfur will still be there.

Now let’s talk about Shadowsight. He was probably the only cat who thought close to this logic, but he used this because he wanted to save Bramblestar. And sending him to take care of Ashfur—WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, TIGERSTAR? If you thought your son wasn’t qualified enough, then you get him more training, not send him to take care of his would-be murderer! Obviously, Mothwing was delusional when she suggested this. How was it Shadowsight’s fault that he accidentally killed Bramblestar? What would you have done in Shadowsight’s shoes Mothwing, tell me (Oh wait, she’s an atheist. BUT STILL…).

And imagine his situation in the next book! Everyone is going to be screaming at him for letting Ashfur go, and no one is understanding that Shadowsight’s life was already horrible before they started scolding him. Then, everyone finds out that Squirrelflight’s gone as well, and they’re just going to blame Shadowsight even more! Like I said, WHY ARE YOU BLAMING HIM FOR THE THINGS THAT HAPPENED WHEN YOU ALLOWED HIM TO TAKE CARE OF ASHFUR?

I have no idea what I’m even ranting about anymore.

The BristlexRoot romance was ok overall, and I want to know what happens next. I really liked it, and I’m excited for the fifth book.

And that’s my review, the book was pretty good overall. Good job, Erins!

Sparkpaw
Sparkpaw
December 30, 2020 2:37 am
Reply to  Lightbreeze

Right! I agree with you. It would be so traumatizing to take care of your attempted murderer. Great choice, Tigerstar…

🥳 New year's Sandy hopes for the best in 2021! 🎉 (Sandpaw/frost)
🥳 New year's Sandy hopes for the best in 2021! 🎉 (Sandpaw/frost)
December 27, 2020 2:43 am

I just watched this….now I really wanna read Darkness Within. 😔😲

Fallenfeather08
Fallenfeather
December 27, 2020 11:03 pm

One of my favorite MAPs :3

🥳 New year's Sandy hopes for the best in 2021! 🎉 (Sandpaw/frost)
🥳 New year's Sandy hopes for the best in 2021! 🎉 (Sandpaw/frost)
December 28, 2020 10:23 am
Reply to  Fallenfeather

Yessss 😀 Expect it’s not a map xD

December 29, 2020 1:18 am

Wasn’t Reedclaw’s mate supposed to be found out in this book?

Turtle: Defender of Spottedleaf. (Turtlepaw 🐢🐢🐢)
Turtle: Defender of Spottedleaf. (Turtlepaw 🐢🐢🐢)
January 12, 2021 9:43 pm
Reply to  Brillig

I guess we will find out later!
And He Runs

Lavenderpaw
Lavenderpaw
December 29, 2020 6:09 pm

I got the book for Christmas so I’m only half way through it, but I have already squealed like a fan girl twice 😂

Spots of Rot in the Leaves (Spot)
Spots of Rot in the Leaves (Spot)
January 6, 2021 4:14 pm

I wish Harelight got more screentime

1 33 34 35

• Rosefeather
  • The phone really isn't ringing
  • Wrenwing:kit