Using real cat genetics with Rootpaw’s family tree by Sandpaw

Sandpaw takes a look at Rootpaw’s genetics in his family tree.

Art by Tennelle Flowers on tumblr (warriordesigns-tennelleflowers)

Hello! My name is Sandpaw, but please call me Sandy. This is my second article on BlogClan. Today I’m going to be talking about real cat genetics, and how they’d affect Warrior cats.

I’m going to be using Rootpaw’s family tree, because it’s not that long. For example, if I did Bristlefrost or Shadowsight, I think that’ll take too long, because they have many known descendants.
Rootpaw’s family is pretty easy, because his family doesn’t have lots of kin, and I’m not that well experienced at the genetic stuff yet.

I’m not going to explain the genetics though, that would be nice, but I’m just going to focus on finding out what colour pelt Rootpaw comes out with.

Let’s start with Rootpaw’s father’s side; Tree. Tree’s mother is Moonlight, and her mate is unknown. He is likely to be a yellow tom like Tree, though. So I’m just going to say Tree is a yellow tom, and plus he has an extra toe (polydactyl).
Right – now onto his mother’s side, Violetshine. Sharpclaw’s mother is Jessamy, who’s a dark ginger tabby like him. Cherrytail is tortoiseshell and white. The fanart mostly has orangish and black pelt colours, so that’s what I’m going to say is her pelt colour.

If Sharpclaw and Cherrytail had a tom, they would have a 50% chance of being red and a 50% chance of being black. The she-cats would have 50% chance of being red and a 50% chance of being tortoiseshell. All the kits would have a white underbelly/spotting.

Their kits were Hawkwing, Duskpaw, Cloudmist and Blossomheart. This isn’t really a genetic part, but I’m going to randomize how they look, based on this information. Hawking would be a black tom, Duskpaw would be a red tabby tom, Cloudmist being a red tabby she-cat, and Blossomheart being a tortoiseshell. They would also have white underbellies. Duskpaw and Cloudmist would be a markerel tabby.

Now onto Tinycloud. Her parent is Clovertail and an unknown tom. Tinycloud’s mate, Sparrowpelt, is a dark brown tabby.
Their kits have an even chance of being black, chocolate, gray, or lilac. Again, I’m going to predict was fur colours they are. Pebbleshine would be chocolate, Parsleyseed would be black, Quailfeather would be chocolate, Sunnypelt would be gray and Pigeonfeather would be lilac.

Now, Pebbleshine and Hawkwing have kits, and they’re chocolate and black. They have a 75% chance of being black and a 25% chance of being gray, with white underbellies. Which is actually really similar to what Violetshine looks like, but Twigbranch is gray with a underbelly which is white.

Tree and Violetshine are yellow and black, and toms have a 50% chance of being black and a 50% chance of being gray, and she-cats have a 50% chance of being tortoiseshell and a 50% chance of being dilute tortoiseshell. That means Rootpaw would be gray, and Needlepaw would be a dilute tortoiseshell.

Phew! That was tiring. Actually this info isn’t that accurate, I tried my best to make it. It was fun though! I hope you enjoyed my article!!

Avatar

Fan Articles

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
11 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Purple Dusk
Purple Dusk
February 19, 2020 1:03 am

You still tried your best anyway!

With fiction, sometimes having courage counts more then being accurate.

Hope to see you around Sandpaw!
Purple Dusk

Flame with a Super Creative Halloween Name
Flame with a Super Creative Halloween Name
February 19, 2020 1:24 am

Nicely done 😀 ! It’s always good to see people interested in genetics! (Also, in drifting through pedigrees, did you notice perhaps that Hawkwing and Pebblewhateverhernamesi are cousins?)


The Earthliest Earthling

Sandy (Sandpaw/frost)
Sandy (Sandpaw/frost)
February 19, 2020 10:26 pm

Yeah, they are 😛


✨ art ✨

Beaconpaw/light☎️!!
Beaconpaw/light☎️!!
February 19, 2020 2:22 am

This is interesting! I did some studies on fox genetics last year, soo interesting, am i right?!


hey its mee, Bee!!

Sandy (Sandpaw/frost)
Sandy (Sandpaw/frost)
February 19, 2020 6:38 am

Yay it’s published 😀


✨ art ✨

Snowpaw
Snowpaw
February 19, 2020 10:22 am

Great article Sandpaw!

❄ . • ° Ivyla ° • . ❄
❄ . • ° Ivyla ° • . ❄
February 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Interesting article, Sandy! Loved your points!


━━━⊰ .•°❄.•°❄.•°❄

Turtlepaw/ dapple. 😁🐢🌈💜
Turtlepaw/ dapple. 😁🐢🌈💜
February 19, 2020 2:06 pm

I liked this, Sandy. Great job!

Briarpaw, who- AHHH! LOOK OUT! SHE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!
Briarpaw, who- AHHH! LOOK OUT! SHE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!
February 20, 2020 2:24 am

nice!!


I need to change my siggie

willow that blooms in spring
willow that blooms in spring
February 26, 2020 7:44 pm

spikey tail…


i am the human owl

Flagpost
Flagpost
August 13, 2020 1:50 pm

I am in 4th grade and I can prove some of this right.I am very smart.

Upcoming Events!

Recent Purrs

Flickr

  • Where-am-I by Shiningpaw(pool)
  • Snowbranch
  • Old Graystripe's gotta babysit kittypets by Haycoat
  • Forest Paw Print by Flamekit
  • Forest Elk by Flamekit
  • Forest Wolf by Flamekit
  • Pink Rainforest Hummingbird by Flamekit
  • Mountain Bear by Flamekit