Why Ivypool Deserved to be One of The Three Instead of Dovewing by Silverfrost

Silverfrost shares their opinion on why Ivypool should’ve been the third cat of the prophecy.

Official art by Wayne McLoughlin

Hey, it’s Silver! Thanks so much for taking time to read my very first article! (This article is my opinion.)
So, we all know what the concept of The Three is. Firestar received a prophecy from the elder Skywatcher. “There will be three, kin of your kin, who will hold the power of the stars in their paws.” When Lionblaze, Jayfeather, and Hollyleaf were born to Leafpool, Firestar’s daughter, thus “kin of his kin,” every cat assumed they were the three. But they were wrong. Yes, Lionblaze and Jayfeather were part of the prophecy, but Hollyleaf was not. Instead, Dovewing, daughter to Birchfall and Whitewing, was the third cat meant to complete the prophecy.
Ivypool was always pushed into the ginormous shadow of her perfect sister Dovewing. Every cat believed Dovewing was the best. Whenever an apprentice was paired with Ivypaw (Ivypool), they were disappointed that they weren’t with Dovepaw (Dovewing), who was the better hunter because of her hearing skills.
But while Ivypool didn’t have superpowers, she was always more deserving of being one of The Three. For starters, Ivypool had to make more tough decisions in one book than Dovewing had to make in the entire series! She had to decide whether to kill Flametail or blow her cover, if she wanted to spy on the dark forest, and most importantly, whether she wanted to switch over to the dark side and kill her clanmates.
Ivypool was also much braver than Dovewing. She lied and tricked cats whom she knew were more than capable of murdering her! Meanwhile, the scariest thing Dovewing had to do was expand her hearing to the Dark Forest. During the Great Battle, Ivypool was the one who showed the most bravery. She turned on cats who had trusted her, even though she knew she could be killed. She was also equally ready to sacrifice herself for her clanmates. I mean, Ivypool was the main reason the Dark Forest attack failed!
Finally, Ivypool’s most visible trait, her undying loyalty. By spying for her clan, she turned down the opportunity to fight for the Dark Forest and possibly be able to rule over the clans alongside her evil accomplices. However, Miss Perfect Dovewing over here left ThunderClan for TIGERHEART. I kid you not, Dovewing betrayed her clan for a little forbidden romance, while Ivypool refused to betray her clan, not even for lots of power.
That sums it up pretty well. I think we can all agree that Ivypool really shows her selflessness, bravery, and loyalty, while Dovewing shows she really seems to care about herself and her love life. Dovewing isn’t a bad person, but I’m sure you’ll agree with me on the fact that Ivypool was just more deserving than Dovewing.

52 Replies to “Why Ivypool Deserved to be One of The Three Instead of Dovewing by Silverfrost”

1. Crimsonclaw “Crimsonpaw”
    May 25, 2020 at 1:18 am

I completely 100% agree! Are we the same person? Because this is exactly what I think!
    I also think Hollyleaf replacing Lionblaze as one of the Three would be great, because I personally don’t like Lionblaze that much and think Hollyleaf is a better character overall!

So basically, my ideal Three: Hollyleaf, Jayfeather, and Ivypool!

Fantastic job! Loved your article!

2. Silverfrost
    May 25, 2020 at 4:11 am

When I Finish Writing This: Oh wow! This isn’t bad!

When I Read It Now: The cringe 😛

A Diamond in the Rough

• Purple Dusk
      May 25, 2020 at 3:22 pm

That is the reaction of ever single author ever, myself included. 😛

Thanks for sharing Silverfrost!
      I am looking forward to seeing more from you!

• May 25, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Silver everyone thinks that while reading their own articles, don’t worry 😛 Nicely done!

Extraterrestrial Earthworm

3. May 25, 2020 at 5:49 am

I don’t necessarily agree.
    The thing is that Dovewing didn’t want powers but Ivypool did. If it was the other way around and Ivypool became one of the three, she will most likely enjoy having powers and doing whatever she wants, and Dovewing will be relieved that she doesn’t have a huge responsibility weighing on her shoulders, so Hawkfrost and Tigerstar won’t see her or Ivypool as recruiting material, so there will be no spies turning against the dark forest, and therefore the clans will die and not happily ever after.
    Since Dovewing was one of the three, Ivypool became all jealous and angry, so Hawkfrost and Tigerstar thought that she would make a good fighter since she is really really jealous of Dovewing, so she trained with the evil kitties until she realized they were evil and switched sides, spying on them. And that is why the clans didn’t die.
    So Ivypool not being part of the prophecy is also why the clans didn’t die.

ⓞⓝⓛⓨ ⓜⓘⓛⓓⓛⓨ ⓘⓝⓕⓤⓡⓘⓐⓣⓘⓝⓖ

• ❄️🐍 Viper That Strikes On Frosty Night (Viperfrost) 🐍❄️
      May 25, 2020 at 7:12 am

I would like to disagree with one of your points, while I do agree with the overall message. 🙂 The reason Dovewing didn’t want powers is because she had them. To explain that further, let’s consider why Ivypool even wanted them. Her sister had them, and was then considered to be special. She spent a lot of time talking to senior warriors and the leader of the clan himself. So Ivypool wanted powers so that she could have the attention her sister had. Dovewing didn’t want the power because she’d seen what having them was like, and felt like the responsibility was too much and that she was trapped because of her power.

If Dovewing hadn’t received powers, she likely wouldn’t be relieved because you can’t miss something you never had and you can’t be relieved that something didn’t happen when you never thought about it in the first place. Her power is what sent her on the beaver quest, so she also wouldn’t have bonded with Tigerheart. She’d pretty much be a normal apprentice/warrior. If she saw her sister getting a lot of attention that she wasn’t, she might grow resentful the same way Ivypool did.

If Ivypool did receive powers, she wouldn’t enjoy them as much as she knew she would in OotS. It’s like if you got a mansion as an adult; would you enjoy it more if you grew up in a mansion, or if you grew up in a regular house? Familiarity leads to taking things for granted. If Ivypool had her powers from birth the way Dovewing had, she wouldn’t be obsessing over them. The only noticable change I see is that she wouldn’t start a romance with Tigerheart.

Therefore, if it was the other way around Dovepaw would probably be the impressionable apprentice Hawkfrost recruits anyway.

bow to "earthling" overlords

May 25, 2020 at 7:05 pm

I think that if Ivypaw had powers and got to go on the Beaver Journey (sounds grand) then Dovepaw would’ve gone too. I think this because Lionblaze is Dovepaw’s mentor.
        I also think it is really hard to tell what would have happened if Ivypaw had powers instead because both of their personalities were shaped by what they had and didn’t have.
        Ex. Dovepaw’s character was grown around her powers because her powers influenced her opportunities (Beaver Journey).
        Ex. Ivypaw’s character grew around her lack of powers because her lack of powers influenced her opportunities (Dark Forest).
        The way their personalities were shaped on their powers (or lack of them) makes them switch paths.
        So if Ivypool had powers she would probably be the exact same as the canon Dovewing and be living in ShadowClan with Tigerheart/star, while Dovewing would be in ThunderClan.

• ❄️🐍 Viper That Strikes On Frosty Night (Viperfrost) 🐍❄️
          May 27, 2020 at 2:28 am

See, that’s what I’m saying. They were essentially blank slates before all that went down, so they would basically just be swapped versions of themselves. Ivypaw still didn’t seem to like Tigerheart, though, so I think she would’ve stayed in Thunderclan. Dovepaw wouldn’t have been able to go on the Beaver Journey because she was an apprentice, even if she was Lionblaze’s apprentice. The journey was considered too dangerous for an apprentice and Dovepaw was only allowed to go because of her powers. SInce there were only two cats allowed from each clan, it would likely be Ivypaw and Lionblaze.

bow to "earthling" overlords

May 27, 2020 at 3:49 am

ohhhh
            that two cats per clan went right over my head 😮
            I see what you mean when you say Ivypool would still be in ThunderClan.
            I think Ivykit started with a more outgoing personality than Dovekit so she might have been more open to Tigerheart than she is now but she would still dislike him. Though I do think Ivypaw’s hate for Tigerheart only came from how close he was to Dovepaw.
            I wonder if Dovewing would be mates with Bumblestripe if she didn’t have powers?

• ❄️🐍 Viper That Strikes On Frosty Night (Viperfrost) 🐍❄️
              May 27, 2020 at 10:45 am

I think most of her hatred came from the DovexTiger thing as well, but even before that in the Dark Forest they weren’t exactly friends. I do think Dovewing would’ve settled for Bumblestripe if she didn’t have any other options, even if he was quite the jerk. 😛

bow to "earthling" overlords

May 28, 2020 at 10:32 pm

I liked Bumblestripe before he took an unhealthy interest in Dovewing.
                Oh Bumblestripe, if only you could have settled for Rosepetal 🙁

• ❄️🐍 Viper That Strikes On Frosty Night (Viperfrost) 🐍❄️
                  May 29, 2020 at 12:24 am

Yeah, he was alright before that. :/ but really, I wish he could have been fine as a single pringle. Rosepetal doesn’t need that drama. XD

bow to "earthling" overlords

May 29, 2020 at 3:38 am

especially after her talk to Bristlefrost about focusing on being a warrior (aka telling her how stupid Bumblestripe is :P)

• ❄️🐍 Viper That Strikes On Frosty Night (Viperfrost) 🐍❄️
                      May 29, 2020 at 10:21 am

yessss

bow to "earthling" overlords

• Thornfeather
                      May 30, 2020 at 8:25 am

you all say Bumblestripe is a jerk and stupid and has a unhealthy intrest in Dovewing but that is so not true.Tigerheart followed Dovewing around almost everywhere and showed his heart do Dovewing,why can’t Bumblestripe?????and i don’t see any stupid and jerk movements…

• Mapledrift
                      May 30, 2020 at 12:18 pm

I don’t remember any times when Tigerheart followed Dovewing, but it was a while back that I read the books.
                      Bumblestripe however, was constantly seen to be pushing the idea of them having kits on Dovewing throughout Bramblestar’s storm, even when she seemed incredibly uncomfortable with the idea.
                      When she was not taking well to his romantic advances in Omen of the Stars, Bumblestripe would often get into a strop and walk off. He was awful at taking no for an answer, and honestly I found his actions towards her incredibly uncomfortable whilst reading the books

June 1, 2020 at 5:37 pm

This idea was given to me by an AU someone wrote but I still feel like a genius for finding it! 😛
                So they said that Dovewing would’ve become mates with Tigerheart in the Dark Forest! I am really excited about this idea for some reason! 😀

• ❄️🐍 Viper That Strikes On Frosty Night (Viperfrost) 🐍❄️
                  June 1, 2020 at 5:40 pm

Oh, that’s an interesting point! I’d read that for sure. 🙂

bow to "earthling" overlords

• Foxtail (Foxie)
      May 25, 2020 at 7:22 am

I agree with both you and Viper haha 😛 Dovewing is my fav though out of the two (because she’s kind of like me lol)

Finally running 4 SW (I’m old)

4. May 25, 2020 at 1:07 pm

I think that Dovewing is fine being the Third, but I think that Ivypool should have been the Fourth cat.
    Spotty is a bean.

May 25, 2020 at 7:06 pm

Yeah!
      Ivypool would have been such a cool fourth cat, or Hollyleaf.
      😀

look in the sky

• ~`ωᴏƖғѕᴘɪяɪᴛ`~ (𝑊𝑜𝑙𝑓 𝑜𝑓 𝑀𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑦 𝑆𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑖𝑡)
        May 26, 2020 at 5:08 am

But the fourth cat had to die. And I think it was a really good choice of time for Firestar to lose his final life. It was time for him to go.

Overflowing w/ unfinished art

May 26, 2020 at 3:18 pm

i agree, though i wish Bramblestar didn’t become leader 🙁
          though i read Wolfspirit’s prophecy description and the fourth cat also had to be a leader
          now i’m wondering how they didn’t figure it out sooner 🤔

5. May 25, 2020 at 1:46 pm

I disagree. I love Ivypool, and she is the best character ever, but that is because she did not have powers. I love her for her spunk and her toughness, and she wouldn’t really get those things if she hadn’t gone to the dark forest. She is much better without powers. Also of course Dovewing isn’t a bad person, she is a cat.

• Silverfrost
      May 25, 2020 at 7:52 pm

(Well yeah, but you know what I mean 😛 )
      That is also true 🙂

A Diamond in the Rough

6. May 25, 2020 at 3:01 pm

“ switch over to the dark side.” Ivypool could have been a Sith??!! Sorry, I saw that I could make a Star Wars joke/reference about that quote from your article so of course I did 😛 Nice article Silver! 😀

“I am no Jedi” -Ahsoka Tano

7. Purple Dusk
    May 25, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Now the question is…
    Would Dovewing been recuited to Dark Forest if Ivypool was the third cat?

While I like AUs where Ivy has a power as well, I believe the story of how Ivypool could have gotten power through Dark Forest and STILL chose to reject the darkness leaves a far greater impact.

It teaches us that there are some things more important than power, (rank or super power, it fits both defs.) and you don’t need power to become a great person. I believe this is the charm of Ivypool’s character and what makes us admire her so much.

8. May 25, 2020 at 4:07 pm

This is extremely wonderful! You’re right, Ivypool had an undying loyalty to Thunderclan that Dovewing just couldn’t have.

Yes, that was you I just ate

May 26, 2020 at 2:28 am

I think Dovewing’s loyalty to ThunderClan diminished partly because having powers and being part of the Three (is it Four now?) was pretty stressful. She is also the youngest cat of the Three (is it Four now?) so she probably felt like she had to be just as good as the others.

look in the sky

• ~`ωᴏƖғѕᴘɪяɪᴛ`~ (𝑊𝑜𝑙𝑓 𝑜𝑓 𝑀𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑦 𝑆𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑖𝑡)
        May 26, 2020 at 5:05 am

Yes it changed to the Four. The prophecies:
        “The end of the stars draw near. Three must become four, to challenge the darkness that lasts forever.” There was Jayfeather, Lionblaze, and Dovewing at first. The fourth was Firestar.
        Also: “There will be three cats, kin of your kin, with the power of the stars in their paws. They will find a fourth, and the battle between light and dark will be won. A new leader will rise from the shadows of his death, and the Clans will survive beyond the memories of his memories. This is how it has always been, and how it will always be.” The Three find that Firestar is the fourth and The Great Battle will be won. “A new leader” (Bramblestar) “will rise from the shadow of “his death” (Firestar’s death). I’m not sure about the last part though, kinda confusing. But yes, a many cats look up to Firestar as he was remembered as a great leader and cats of his bloodline were also remarkable cats remembered by the Clans. And the last sentence . . . ^^

Overflowing w/ unfinished art

May 26, 2020 at 3:13 pm

thanks! 😀

9. Leafpaw/growl
    May 25, 2020 at 8:12 pm

This is great, Silverfrost! I do believe in all of those points. Ivypool or Hollyleaf should have been the third cat.

10. Goldenberryyy
    May 25, 2020 at 11:10 pm

i actually do agree!!! Although Dovewing was the one to warn everyone and all that, Ivypool was the one who risked her life spying on the Dark Forest and stuff. She had to kill a CAT just to show her loyalty.

….then again this is just my opinion and stuff 😛

I'm a weirdo and I'm proud

May 26, 2020 at 2:29 am

I know!
      I feel like Ivypool’s mental stability should be comparable to Bluestar’s after Tigerstar 1 betrayed her.

• DOVEkit
      May 26, 2020 at 2:39 am

I love Dovewing. She’s my fav charecter.

11. M0nkEyfUr 2020
    May 26, 2020 at 6:16 am

Ivypool had the superpower of being brave and letting Hawkfrost trust her for so long😛
    thats the best and most useful power out of all of them😉

i see moky

May 26, 2020 at 9:02 pm

the true super cat! 🐱

12. May 26, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Interesting article! As Bright Guardian Akira says, I am Team Dovewing/Ivypool all the way! (I can’t choose lol)

Also cool how your icon became the picture for the article too 😛

Try me, Beyoncé.

May 28, 2020 at 10:35 pm

i know!
      i’m jealous of anyone who got that secret page 😛

13. Moonpelt
    May 29, 2020 at 3:29 am

While I do agree that Ivypool should be one of the three/four, I don’t agree that she should replace Dovewing. Just because Dovewing isn’t that loyal to Thunderclan, doesn’t mean that that’s bad ( That’s a lot of that’s). The three/four are to protect all the clans and to have empathy towards ALL that clans. So, more likely, Dovewing’s openness and sympathy for the five/four clans helped in the battle vs dark forest. Is also a great combination between the three’s feelings and emotions towards the clans: two cats who are extremely loyal to Thunderclan and one cat who had empathy towards all the clans. If, say, Ivypool was one of the three, all would be similar with their loyalty traits. But, they all are different in their own, amazing ways.
    Finally, if Ivypool was one of the three, long story short, People would end up liking Dovewing, not Ivypool, and people would be writing articles about how they wanted Dovewing to have powers and not Ivypool.
    Thank you for reading me liking Dovewing or, whatever this is.
    Great Article Silverfrost!!!!
    My version of the Three/four is: Ivypool, Dovewing, Jayfeather and Firestar.