Why I Love Fernsong and FernxIvy by Butterflyflower

Art by Ivylight

Butterflyflower explains why they like FernxIvy

There’s quite a lot of hate for both Fernsong himself and his relationship with Ivypool, but Fernsong is a sweet boy, and his relationship with Ivypool is really healthy.

First of all, Fernsong may not have been a very major character, but from what we’ve seen, he’s a good boy. He’s kind, soft, and sweet, and he generally acts more “feminine”. He was also seen to care about kits – he visited the nursery at times to simply help care for kits that weren’t even his own.

One of the reasons the FernxIvy ship is hated is because Ivypool was a major character in Omen of the Stars, while Fernsong (who wasn’t born until after Omen of the Stars) is more of a minor character. People don’t like that a major character was “thrown together” with a minor one (especially since the major one is female and the minor one is male). But, while Ivypool was a main character in Omen of the Stars, she became more minor in A Vision of Shadows, which was the series she became mates with Fernsong in, so both of them were pretty “minor” by the time they became mates. They also had enough background development for it to not really seem like they were just randomly thrown together, and people can also use their own creativity and imagination to fill in things about their relationship.

Another reason people hate the FernxIvy ship is because they wanted Ivypool to stay single because she’s a “strong, independent woman, who don’t need no man.” But can I just say-? That a character/person (female or male) can be strong and independent, whether or not they’re married. Even if the married couple do take care of each other sometimes, it doesn’t make either one of them “less independent”.

If Ivypool was independent before getting a mate, how does getting a mate automatically strip away her independence?
There’s no reason to hate Fernsong just because he’s mates with a cat you wish stayed single either.
People may also find the age gap between them weird, as Ivypool was an adult before Fernsong was born, but the important thing here is that they were both adults before becoming mates, so why should that really be an issue?
And, of course, there’s the whole “They’re related!” thing.

Ivypool and Fernsong are related through Firestar, and people like to point out that there’s a prophecy about how they’re related. But the prophecy, “There will be three, kin of you kin, who hold the power of stars in their paws,” refers to Lionblaze, Jayfeather, and Dovewing. It doesn’t say anything about Ivypool or Fernsong, but it just so happens that Ivypool is Dovewing’s sister and Fernsong is Lionblaze’s son. So the prophecy doesn’t directly say anything about Ivypool and Fernsong being related, but people still use it to point out how they are related.

If you actually go back into the family tree to figure out how they’re related, you would have to go back to Firestar and trace it down to find this: Firestar is mates with Sandstorm, their kids are Squirrelflight and Leafpool. Leafpool was mates with Crowfeather, they had Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Jayfeather. Lionblaze cat-married Cinderheart, and they had Fernsong, Hollytuft, and Sorrelstripe. Firestar’s sister is Princess, her son is Cloudtail, his and Brightheart’s daughter is Whitewing, and her and Birchfall’s daughters are Ivypool and Dovewing.

So when you really look into it, Fernsong and Ivypool aren’t really that closely related to each other, and there are cat-married couples who are even more closely related to each other. (Pretty much everyone is related in some way at this point in the series anyway.)

Fernsong and Ivypool are a caring couple who genuinely love each other, and Fernsong even became a stay-at-home-dad! For Ivypool fans, it’s definitely better that she ended up with someone who treats her right than it would’ve been if she had ended up with someone who was abusive to her!

Fan Articles

❤️🧇Waffles AKA Waffleheart🧇❤️
❤️🧇Waffles AKA Waffleheart🧇❤️
October 26, 2020 12:11 am

Yesss I l o v e FernxIvy!!! Fernsong is such a sweet guy and the only acceptable mate for my girl Ivypool.

Lionpaw(pool)
Lionpaw(pool)
October 26, 2020 12:12 am

I dunno, its pretty obvious they are related, but who keeps track anymore am i right?
i really don’t like the fernxivy ship it is rushed and frankly boring
so they flirted once or twice, okay lets have some kittens
I like Ivypool pre-fernsong the most because she is independent and I like her sisterly dynamic and conflict with Dovewing
I also would argue she wasn’t a minor character in AVOS because she was Twigs mentor before she decided it was necessary to have babies
Great article tho!

Lionpaw(pool)
Lionpaw(pool)
October 26, 2020 12:14 am

Also, Fernsong doesn’t have development AT ALL besides the ONE scene that shows him trying to manipulate Ivypool
Wow, I should write an article about this topic, I’ve got quite a lot to say 😉

Spooky Turtle That Sits In Pumpkin 🐢🐢🐢🎃🎃🎃
Spooky Turtle That Sits In Pumpkin 🐢🐢🐢🎃🎃🎃
October 26, 2020 1:15 pm
Reply to  Lionpaw(pool)

He wasn’t trying to manipulate Ivypool! He was just sharing his opinion on the kit thing.
He didn’t push it once Ivypool said that she’d think about it. Actually, Fernsong wasn’t manipulative at all.
I respect your opinion of course, I just feel very strongly about my opinion.

Just One Heartbeat

Lionpaw(pool)
Lionpaw(pool)
October 26, 2020 11:36 pm

Of course! I think all BlogClanners and everyone deserves to have their opinion heard, and of course I respect yours.
However, I don’t really get the reasons why Ivypool was attracted to him enough to mate with him. He is friendly and nice, but… so is every other background character. What makes Fernsong so special? Like Butterflyflower said in the her/his/their article, we haven’t seen much of him other than being sweet and nice to his children. Is that it? I guess I’m just very protective of Ivypool, I want her to have the right cat, and I don’t think that is Fernsong. If he were the one getting a Novella next year, instead of his younger sister Spotfur, I’d feel much better.
And about the manipulation thing, I honestly believe it is a matter of opinion. How you look at it, ya know, like is Fernsong sweetly offering to take care of the kits, and paying attention to her needs? Or, instead, taking advantage of Ivypool by telling her, oh you can leave and go on patrol, once you have the kits then she doesn’t have the purpose anymore in his life. Does Fernsong have those sort of motives? Is he not as genuine as he seems on the surface? How the heck does Ivypool know she can trust him, when she learned her lesson about trusting other cats in Omen of the Stars? I think it’s uncharacteristic for her to take a mate, especially a cat like Fernsong.
And I’m not saying taking a mate makes you weak in any way, I just don’t think Fernsong is the right cat.

Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
Embers of an Autumn Dawn (Emberdawn)
October 27, 2020 12:11 am
Reply to  Lionpaw(pool)

I don’t think Fernsong needs to be special. Nobody is required to be special in order for someone to love them, they just have to be enough. We likely won’t see too much of Ivypool’s interactions with Fernsong since Ivypool’s time in the spotlight is largely over, but from what little we do get, we can already see that Fernsong is willing to accommodate for Ivypool’s preferences. She wants to keep doing her duties as a warrior, even after having her kits, and Fernsong proposed that he watch over their kits as a stay-at-home dad, and honestly, I think that’s a great direction for the Erins to have chosen to go with for him. Males don’t always have to be big, strong fighters who keep their emotions close to their chest – they have vulnerabilities and they can show them and it’s okay, just like everyone else, and normalizing “out of the ordinary” behaviour like being a stay-at-home dad is another step in removing toxic masculinity in the media and in households across the world 🙂

Stripe of Meadow Where Leaves Fall (Meadowpaw)
Stripe of Meadow Where Leaves Fall (Meadowpaw)
November 1, 2020 11:33 pm

You might be the one to approve this, but, Embix, that’s a great view. My dad was and still is my only parent I live with, and when he was divorced, the families and friends of his ex-wives got mad at him. He was told to get over it. They treated him as if he wasn’t allowed to have emotions. Sorry for getting personal, I just think people need to stop shunning males for having feelings. I’m not a male, so I don’t have any personal experiences with people acting like that to me because of my gender, but people just need to stop.

Stripe of Meadow Where Leaves Fall (Meadowpaw)
Stripe of Meadow Where Leaves Fall (Meadowpaw)
November 1, 2020 11:24 pm
Reply to  Lionpaw(pool)

Fernsong: How about kits?
Ivypool: No, I don’t want to stay in the nursery for six whole moons
Fern: Okay, how about we wait until they’re old enough for prey then I take care of them? Ivy: I’ll think about it
Then she later agreed. End of discussion. (These are the gist of what was said, not exact quotes, I’m to lazy to go find the book and then the page and write the word for word quote. It’s still leaves out nothing bad or good on either of them. Sure, he asked after she said no, but it was only a suggestion, and only one time after her saying no. I just don’t like when anyone (fictional or not) is wrongly accused of something. Just like when Jayfeather was wrongly accused of killing Flametail by Dawnstripe. Sorry that this is long.)

Lionpaw(pool)
Lionpaw(pool)
October 26, 2020 12:15 am

omg what if i got the first comment!!! this was posted 7 mins ago so i might have a chance for once!!! I guess I’ll see tomorrow 🙂

Lionpaw(pool)
Lionpaw(pool)
October 26, 2020 1:06 pm
Reply to  Lionpaw(pool)

Nooooooooooooooo i was soooooo close!

Someone who has a definite Thanksgiving name...kinda (Moonpelt/paw)
Someone who has a definite Thanksgiving name...kinda (Moonpelt/paw)
October 26, 2020 12:50 am

GREAT article, Butterflyflower!
No spell-check, not arctic

Poppypaw (Poppysky)
Poppypaw (Poppysky)
October 26, 2020 1:37 am

I’m so glad someone else approves of IvyxFern!

Mint Leaf That Dances In The Wind (Mintpaw)
Mint Leaf That Dances In The Wind (Mintpaw)
October 26, 2020 1:55 am

PREACH

Cold Frost On Diamond Crystal Who Is Eating Pies Right Now (Frostcrystal, call me Frost)
October 26, 2020 2:44 am

I like the ship but they’re related though….

Spooky Turtle That Sits In Pumpkin 🐢🐢🐢🎃🎃🎃
Spooky Turtle That Sits In Pumpkin 🐢🐢🐢🎃🎃🎃
October 26, 2020 1:16 pm

They’re not as closely related as some other couples. They’re like, third cousins, I think.
Just One Heartbeat

Flowerfern
Flowerfern
October 26, 2020 4:43 pm

EVERYBODY is related. Some siblings even had kits together.

Whiterabbit who was almost too lazy to change her name to something non-halloweeny
White Ghost of Halloween Rabbit (Whitepaw)
October 26, 2020 5:03 pm

So are Bramblestar and Squirrelflight, Sparkpelt and Larksong, Snowbush and Lilyheart, Ferncloud and Dustpelt, Patchpelt and Willowpelt and Whitestorm and Willowpelt and Dovewing and Tigerstar, and Lionblaze and Cinderheart, and Stemleaf and Spotfur, and too many other couples that I care to mention. And most of the couples I just listed are more related than Fernsong and Ivypool are. It doesn’t really matter cause the cats don’t care.

Silverfeather who is trying to get a mentor
Silverfeather who is trying to get a mentor
October 26, 2020 8:17 am

Great article ;D

Blaze of Red Hearth Fire (Redblaze is preparing for winter)
Blaze of Red Hearth Fire (Redblaze is preparing for winter)
October 26, 2020 8:50 am

I love them too 😀

Spooky Turtle That Sits In Pumpkin 🐢🐢🐢🎃🎃🎃
Spooky Turtle That Sits In Pumpkin 🐢🐢🐢🎃🎃🎃
October 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Yeeeeeeeees!
I LOVE Fernsong and LOVE IvyXFern! 💚💚💚
Just One Heartbeat

Hollyleaf
Hollyleaf
October 26, 2020 6:41 pm

i dont know about that……. i think fernsong and ivyXfern are just well ok.

Stormy Moon That Lurks In Shadow (Stormpaw) (Stormi)
Stormy Moon That Lurks In Shadow (Stormpaw) (Stormi)
October 26, 2020 3:11 pm

I love this shippp! And the age thing is kinda weird, but there cats so who cares

Sunny Light Shining On The Festive World (Sunnypaw)
Sunny Light Shining On The Festive World (Sunnypaw)
October 26, 2020 4:28 pm

Yeah, almost everyone is related to Firestar at this point. I also think that it is sweet that Fernsong considered Ivypool’s values and respected her. He wanted kits, but since she didn’t want to stay in the nursery, he volunteered because he loved her and the kits she might have one day. I mean, for me, that did it.

Stripe of Meadow Where Leaves Fall (Meadowpaw)
Stripe of Meadow Where Leaves Fall (Meadowpaw)
November 1, 2020 11:41 pm

Yeah, some couples didn’t care to have many litters of kits, while a few main couples populated the whole clan, making it to where only Twigbranch, Finleap, and a few others that weren’t in the clans originally, aren’t related. And most of them ended up related because someone they know mated into the chain of Ferncloud and Dustpelt or something like that…
Twigbranch and Finleap are the only ones not related by relatives mating and/or being born into the chain of families that I can think of.

• Falling Red Autumn Leaf