Problems with Nine Lives by Whitepaw

Artist unknown (Source: Pinterest)

Whitepaw explains some problems that occur when a leader gains 9 lives

There are a number of problems with having nine lives. In this article I will go over them.

Problem 1: Just the whole concept. You don’t start a new life, you just go back to your old life. In warriors, nine lives is more like being able to die nine times without actually dying until the last time. You don’t start over as a kitten, you just come back to where and how you were.

Problem 2: How long would you actually live? There are some leaders like Sunstar who seem to use up their nine lives in a lifetime. There are some leaders that seem to live forever. From the group of apprentices in Into the Wild, Firestar is the second one to die, Ravenpaw being the first, I think, because he gave Bramblestar one of his nine lives, like Firestar. Sandstorm and Dustpelt die soon after, but I still think that Firestar should have been the one to live the longest, because that’s how it should be. Also, if Whitestorm had survived there would be a problem if Firestar died as soon after becoming leader as Sunstar did. Whitestorm would probably have been thinking about retiring, but how would they get a strong leader without breaking the warrior code. Whitestorm would live much longer and he would have to retire later.

You know how earlier I was saying that Firestar was the second of that group of apprentices to die? I was thinking about that. Theoretically, Firestar should have lived nine times the rest of his generation’s age, but he didn’t. Why is that? I think that part of the reason StarClan gives leaders nine lives is that they will be targeted more than the other warriors. Deputies will also be targeted which is why a leader usually has more than one deputy. StarClan gives them those lives so that they won’t die for good the first time another leader decides to attack the camp. StarClan gives them those lives so that they will make it to the usual lifespan of a warrior cat. This is shown in Moth Flight’s Vision when Wind Runner is about to die from a battle against Clear Sky and Moth Flight takes her to receive nine lives. But for some leaders, they are fairly old when they become older, and nine lives just doubles their lifetime, or possibly triples it. Blackstar was pretty old, and Mistystar is the oldest living warrior cat. She is one of only two cats that I can think of that have been alive since the first book and are still alive at the time this article is being written. If a character is already old, then they shouldn’t become a leader. So, I kind of got off topic, but I just see a lot of problems with nine lives, and how it is displayed, and I had a lot of things to say, so yeah. Hope you enjoyed it and maybe you agree with me.

Fan Articles

Rainypaw needs a mentor
Rainypaw needs a mentor
October 29, 2020 2:18 pm

yeah mistystar is wayyy too old

Flamepaw/flower ~Flamey~ (she/her)
Flamey of Somewhere
October 29, 2020 2:53 pm

Mistystar and Graystripe. And Mistyfoot was a senior warrior while Graystripe was an apprentice.

Loyalfire
Loyalfire
October 29, 2020 3:05 pm

I agree with you….. sort of. Firstly, leaders usually lose lives more often because of two reasons. They take more risks and when they get older they start losing lives easier. Also, I don’t think it would be terrible for a leader to retire. I know the whole Brokenstar and Nightstar thing but leaders could still give advice to the deputy in the elders den while they make decisions because not all leaders would would go crazy like Bluestar and it could be a chance for the Deputy to ease into the role. I know this is something that hasn’t happened in Warriors but maybe it could. The Mistystar thing I agree with but I don’t think it’s out of this world that she is still living. I think she is just more careful then other leaders and I know I can’t say for certain that is the problem or circumstance but I think it’s just one of her character traits.

:Dawny is an animal rights activist |Meadowpaw|
:Dawny is an animal rights activist |Meadowpaw|
October 29, 2020 7:43 pm

Firestar had his 1 life, but somehow, he got 9 MORE lives! Sometimes the authors lose count of the lives they’ve been given or lost so far and we get things like this. The leaders start with one life, then when they’re made leader, the receive 8 more, adding together to make 9. In some cases the authors will forget or lose count and give the leaders 9 lives more instead of 8 more lives.

Stirfry
Stirfry
October 30, 2020 12:51 am

Mistystar, is like 16, a wild cat shouldn’t live that long

Dawnstar(light)
Dawnstar(light)
October 31, 2020 9:07 am

I think one of the problems is like if a cat gets slashed in the neck they die, and then when they come back to life they still have the injury. So why don’t they die again? The only time one died again is Tigerstar. Why not literally anybody else

• EchoClaw