Yes, it WAS Mapleshade’s Fault that her Kits Drowned by HollyleafTheGreat

HollyleafTheGreat takes a look at Mapleshade’s involvement in the death of her kits.

Art by GrayPillow

People empathize with Mapleshade and defend her with the fact that her kits drowned. And not only will I explain that it the death of her kits was her fault, but I will also explain how she did not need to avenge her kits.
Let’s start off by setting the scence (MAJOR spoilers for Mapleshade’s Vengeance): Mapleshade, a ThunderClan cat, is secretly mates with Appledusk, a RiverClan cat. She is pregnant with his kits, and when she gives birth, Frecklewish assumes they’re her brother, Birchface’s, because no living cat claims them and Birchface has died at the paws of Appledusk. Mapleshade doesn’t say anything, and everyone assumes she doesn’t like talking about her dead mate, and that they are Birchface’s. Ravenwing finds out, and tells everyone, and both Oakstar and Frecklewish are understandably upset when they learn that Oakstar’s son and Frecklewish’s brother is not the father, but rather the cat who killed him, which Mapleshade defends by saying it was an accident he died, and tries to say that it doesn’t matter who the father is. She pretends that she’s done nothing wrong, and might have had a chance to stay if she at least pretended she was remorseful, and if it were a recent enough battle, she could have said that she mated with Appledusk in secret, and when he’d killed Birchface, she’d seen his true colors. She could have acted sorry. Once exiled, Mapleshade crosses the stepping stones when the river’s going to flood. I don’t remember if it was raining, or if it were flooding season for the river, but many people say Oakstar would have known, and to that I say so would Mapleshade. There is no reason he’d know and she wouldn’t, but she didn’t care. Second, the stepping stones are not the safest way to cross, and the map shows two perfectly good bridges that she could have used to cross. And that’s no mistake, as she uses a wooden bridge to cross into Fourtrees, and could have used that bridge, noticed the mini-tsunami, and waited for it to pass. But instead she chose to be lazy and take the fastest and most dangerous way, even if there was no flood. Stormkit was about their age when he broke his jaw trying to cross the stones. So when Appledusk tells her he blames her for the death of the kits, he’s right. It was entirely, 100% her fault. And we know that, after their death, Mapleshade was haunted by their cries and kills three people to free them. It seems weird for StarClan to send her to the Dark Forest if she was trying to save her kits, but I don’t think StarClan knew about her visions, nor do I think that she had to free her kits. I think that she was haunted by her grief, and the death of her kits, and when she thought that she had to avenge them, the idea manifested inside her grieving brain. Because she didn’t blame one cat entirely, her mind created the visions to be one kit less with each kill. Her sanity dropped low and StarClan didn’t know (Yes, I believe in the StarClan is Idiots Theory) because they don’t know everything. But I don’t think Mapleshade deserved StarClan. She awoke in the Dark Forest and she felt pleased. Ready to build her army. Not wishing she were in StarClan. My next post will be about 5 cats that people think deserve the Dark Forest but don’t (and one that absolutely does)

Fan Articles

Whitepaw (Whiterabbit) doesn't like hamburgers
White Ghost of Halloween Rabbit (Whitepaw)
November 2, 2020 8:27 pm

I still love Mapleshade.

Ravenflight_Cupcake
Ravenflight_Cupcake
November 2, 2020 10:41 pm

I mean, imagine if you had just lost all your children, and in the back of your mind, you think it was your fault. I think her killing spree was justified.

Ravenflight_Cupcake
Ravenflight_Cupcake
November 2, 2020 10:41 pm

Plus, the ghosts of her children were yelling at her to avenge her…

The one that leaps on stars (Starkit)
The one that leaps on stars (Starkit)
November 2, 2020 10:48 pm

I agree it was her fault she didn’t have to cross the river she could just go somewhere else.

Stormpaw (Stormi)
Stormpaw (Stormi)
November 3, 2020 12:45 am

It might have been Mapleshade’s fault that her kits drowned, but she was just looking for some help, and going to Appledusk for it was her 1st idea (duh, he was her mate, so he should have helped her)

💙 Coldheart 💙
Coldheart
November 3, 2020 1:44 am

Nice article! I love the points you made, but Mapleshade is still okay to me.

Echokit
Echokit
November 3, 2020 1:33 pm

Great article!

I still love Mapleshade though- she’s my favorite character along with Leafpool.

And I believe that the Dark Forest drives cats insane so that’s how she actually became evil.

But you were very convincing! And, yes, she didn’t have to cross the river (don’t know what was going on in her head at that point!)

So, yeah. Nice article!

Lionpaw(pool)
Lionpaw(pool)
November 4, 2020 1:33 am

Thanks so much for this! I never understood why people empathized with her when it was completely her fault! And she killed three cats, two of whom were almost entirely innocent and even though Appledusk is a cheater, he shouldn’t have died.

Lionpaw(pool)
Lionpaw(pool)
November 4, 2020 1:37 am

Mapleshade is very overrated in my opinion, I should really write an article or debate with someone about it

Silverfeather who is looking for a mentor
Silverfeather who is looking for a mentor
November 4, 2020 11:45 am

Great article 😃
Btw; Yeah, StarClan Are Idiots

:Dawny is an animal rights activist |Meadowpaw|
:Dawny is an animal rights activist |Meadowpaw|
November 7, 2020 11:19 am

…Wait…how many medicine cats were given the name “Frecklewish”?! There’s the Frecklewish of the current books, SkyClan’s medicine cat, but I’m just now puting two and two together on this…

HollyleafTheGreat
HollyleafTheGreat
December 3, 2020 7:04 pm

So, I got a lot of people that strongly agree or disagree. But it seems that everyone who disagrees either didn’t read or ignores a lot of my points. Mapleshade should have known about the flood if Oakstar would have, and even without the flood, she should have used one of the bridges. But, agree or disagree, thank you for reading, and your comments. I appreciate them and all of you!

• Starkit