Emberheart and Foxclaw take a look at the Warrior code.
If the answer is “DEPENDING”on “Should it be changed,” that means I want you to comment on it. They are numbered, so just say “5” or “11” then state your argument.
If the answer is “NO” on “Should it be changed,” that means it is a good amendment and should stay in place. You can still argue if you want it changed though.
If the answer is “YES” on “Should it be changed,” that means it is an odd or useless law that could be considered wrong.
1. Defend your Clan, even with your life. You may have friendships with cats from other Clans, but your loyalty must remain to your Clan, as one day you may meet them in battle. ~
This is the most controversial amendment. The amendment that forbids love between Clans. Should this change? Well, cross breeding is very good for the Clan cats, because bad genes and health problems occur to the kits of closely related mates such as Ferncloud and Dustpelt. Many of you may already know this, maybe not but Dustpelt is Ferncloud’s uncle. This is very bad for the Clan, and if cats from different Clans were mates, not only would the kits be healthier, but they would have special traits from both sides; Imagine a kit that can stalk through undergrowth, like ThunderClan. Now imagine a kit that can run faster and leap higher, like WindClan. Wouldn’t there be more powerful cats if they had both of these traits? Should it be changed? YES.
2. Do not hunt or trespass on another Clan’s territory. ~
Okay, I get this one. But that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be shared Clan territory, right? Example: Sunningrocks. Many cats fought and died over Sunningrocks, the area between ThunderClan and RiverClan in the Forest Territories. Both Clans wanted the territory, not to hunt, but for their elders to lay comfortably on the rocks. All the elders want to do is bask and share stories, not hurt elders from other Clans. Both RiverClan and ThunderClan wanted the area, for the same cats and the same reasons, so why not share it and both clans could have the warm sun on their pelts, instead of dying over a few big rocks. Should it be changed? DEPENDING.
3. Elders, queens, sick or injured cats and kits must be fed before apprentices and warriors. Unless they have permission, apprentices may not eat until they have hunted to feed the elders.~
You can’t exactly argue with this one, except the thing where apprentices can’t eat until they hunt. Apprentices are one of the most important parts of a Clan, because without apprentices, cats would go straight from kits to warriors! Should it be changed? YES, but only the part about the apprentice’s eating rights.
4. Prey is killed only to be eaten. Give thanks to StarClan for its life. ~
I mean, if a cat kills a squirrel and leaves it there, it is still being eaten, just not by the cat. Is that breaking the code?! Should it be changed? DEPENDING.
5. A kit must be at least six moons old to become an apprentice. ~
In my opinion, this is totally obvious. You can’t send kits into battle against larger, more experienced warriors. Brokentail did not follow this part of the code, and kits lost their lives for it. A noble addition to the warrior code, and I solute both Daisytoe and Badgerfang for it. RIP Badgerfang… Should it be changed? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
6. Newly appointed warriors will keep a silent vigil for one night after receiving their warrior name. ~
This one makes less sense. I get what they were saying in “Codes of The Clans” but I don’t think every new warrior will fight off a fox that one night. Kind of useless and I’m sure not everyone learns something from sitting in the cold and probably falling asleep. I don’t know if this is really a code, it’s more of a tradition. Should it be changed? DEPENDING.
7. A cat cannot be made deputy without having mentored at least one apprentice. ~
This is another one that makes sense to me. A deputy mentors the whole Clan; assigning patrols and whatnot. Without the experience of how to respectfully give orders, a deputy wouldn’t be as respected. Should it be changed? NO.
8. The deputy will become Clan leader when the leader dies, retires, or is exiled. ~
Well, a deputy does have the most experience and there must be some sort of hierarchy in the Clan, so this one is obvious to me. It also makes sure cats aren’t fighting to be leader when ‘star dies. Should it be changed? NO.
9. After the death, retirement, promotion, or exile of the deputy, a new deputy must be chosen before moonhigh.~
Some cat needs to organize patrols for the following day, and a deputy must have time to prepare themselves for their new duties. Should it be changed? NO.
10. A Gathering of all four Clans [or five] is held at the full moon during a truce that lasts for the night. There shall be no fighting among the Clans at this time. ~
I mean, there has to be some time when they aren’t fighting, to teach apprentices the smells and appearances of other Clans, while learning news in other territories. If there is a dog or a fox in a neighboring territory, your Clan should know and prepare to chase it away if the threat wanders over the border. Should it be changed? NO.
11. Boundaries must be checked and marked daily. Challenge all trespassing cats. ~
Yes, all cats should be “challenged,” but if they are starving because of something only in their Clan, they should be allowed to take one piece of prey on behalf of the Clan that lives there. Checking the boundaries: This part shouldn’t be changed because a predator or enemy could be living on your border, and if you never went there, you wouldn’t know they were affecting your territory. Should it be changed? NO.
12. No warrior can neglect a kit in pain or danger, even if the kit is from a different Clan. ~
Okay if you think this one should change I’m really sad. A kit has never done anything to hurt any Clan, so they should be protected and welcomed. Should it be changed? NO WAY.
13. The word of the Clan leader is the warrior code. ~
If the word of the leader was the code, why write anything else? This is an amendment for selfish, power-hungry cats. The fate of many shall not lay in the paws of one. I’m so quoting that. Should it be changed? YES.
“The fate of many shall not lay in the paws of one.” – Foxclaw 😀
14. An honorable warrior does not need to kill other cats to win their battles, unless they are outside the warrior code or if it is necessary for self-defense. ~
Killing is never the answer, unless you opponent thinks it so. Any cat who thinks against this code should be- uh… Cleaning the elder’s den? Should it be changed? NO.
“Killing is never the answer, unless your opponent thinks it so.” -Foxclaw
“I’m findin’ quotes left and right! Skillssss.” -Foxclaw
15. A warrior rejects the soft life of a kittypet. ~
Do we think we’re better than them? Or are we jealous? Would any cat really want to be risking their lives and the lives of others to own every patch of dirt without confort, or would they want to lay in a nest, without the risk of starving? Do they just want a cause to die for? Gosh my quotes are awesome. Should it be changed? DEPENDING.
16. Each CLan has the right to be proud and independent, but in times of trouble they must forget their boundaries and fight side by side to protect the four. (or five) Each Clan must help the others so that no Clan will fall. ~
Did they really think they needed to add that? Bramblestar thinks he’s so special for stating the obvious. This part of the code was to secretly exist between the Clans like an invisible ink on the parchment that is the warrior code, since before the battle with BloodClan.
“This part of the code was to secretly exist between the Clans like an invisible ink on the parchment that is the warrior code, since before the battle with BloodClan.”
“Would any cat really want to be risking their lives and the lives of others to own every patch of dirt without confort, or would they want to lay in a nest, without the risk of starving? Do they just want a cause to die for?” -Foxclaw
This article was typed by Emberheart and Foxclaw (actually one person btw) on JUNE 6, 2020