Was Mapleshade REALLY evil or just misunderstood? by Jinx

Jinx wonders if Mapleshade truly was evil or not.

Art by Mizu-no-Akira

Okay, so I know a lot of Ravenwing fans and Appledusk fans and others will disagree with this, and that’s fine. This is my opinion on whether or not everything bad that happened in the forest (mainly in The Prophecies Begin) is mostly Ravenwing’s fault. (Also, this article will show my opinion on whether Mapleshde is misunderstood, or evil)

First, Mapleshade. Sure, Mapleshade broke the warrior code by having kits with a RiverClan cat (but c’mon sooo many people ship MaplexApple). But did Ravenwing have to go and tell everyone? And really. Did she really have to be banished? I mean, Graystripe wasn’t banished when he had kits with a RiverClan cat, he chose to leave. Anyway, if Ravenwing hadn’t told on Mapleshade, she wouldn’t have murdered him, her kits wouldn’t have drowned, Appledusk wouldn’t have disowned her, and Mapleshade technically wouldn’t have turned evil.

Next- Tigerstar. So, we all know, or at least most of us know, that Mapleshade pretty much turned Tigerstar into what he became, a murderer and traitor. So, yeah, that was her fault. But. But like I said, Mapleshade wouldn’t have even wanted revenge on ThunderClan if it weren’t for Ravenwing. So again, it can be traced back to Ravenwing.

Finally, Crookedstar. Okay, so the deaths in his life were already going to happen. Mapleshade was just being a bit rude and mean and made him think they were all his fault when they weren’t. Also, Mapleshade turned him into a great warrior through training him. And she told him not to fall in love, because she saw him as her own son, and did not want him to experience the pain she did.

So, in conclusion, Mapleshade was not evil in my opinion. She was just misunderstood. And Ravenwing, come on. Did you really have to ruin her life? Anyways, yes, I agree she did some bad things, even murderous things, but you can’t say she was truly evil. She had a hard life, and think, wouldn’t you kind of want revenge on Appledusk, Ravenwing and ThunderClan. I know I would.
Also, read this carefully, and see that technically, all things can be traced back to Ravenwing in the end.

BTW, I know she shouldn’t have killed Ravenwing, but seriously, did she actually have to be labeled EVIL and go to the Dark Forest for it? Nope, nada, goose eggs. Not in my opinion, at least.

Oki, thanks for reading! Be sure to leave your opinions in the comments below, I might feature them in my next article!

Fan Articles

Moonbreeze (Moon That Is Covered By Gentle Breeze/Winded Moon)
Moonbreeze (Moon That Is Covered By Gentle Breeze)
February 23, 2021 4:12 pm

I completely agree! I even submitted an article on this

Moonbreeze (Moon That Is Covered By Gentle Breeze/Winded Moon)
Moonbreeze (Moon That Is Covered By Gentle Breeze)
February 23, 2021 4:13 pm

Goose eggs :3

Silverstream-lover
Silverstream-lover
February 23, 2021 4:20 pm

From the moment I read Mapleshades vengeance I felt sorry for her and I think she could of just found a place for her and her kits. But is WAS ALL Appledusk, Oakstar, and Ravenwing falt plus I never liked them I HATED THEM. Soooooooo… yeah.

Fringecloud
Fringecloud
February 23, 2021 8:40 pm

YES-YES-YES!i love mapley-shade!

Turtlepaw🐢🐢🐢(they/xe/tey/ae/ot/mae/sae/je/he/se)
Turtlepaw🐢🐢🐢(they/xe/tey/ae/ot/mae/sae/je/he/se)
February 23, 2021 9:24 pm

I totally agree! Mapleshade was only misunderstood, not evil. I defend her quite a bit- she’s the Warrior cat I defend the most.
Lost In The Woods

Thornfeather
Thornfeather
February 24, 2021 12:41 pm

I think she was misunderstood until she went to the DF,but Evil from when she went to the DF

Daypaw
Daypaw
February 24, 2021 2:36 pm

I totally agree! If there’s a cat I defend, it’s her!

Anonymous
Anonymous
February 24, 2021 3:17 pm

For some reason, I think that Appledusk still liked Mapleshade even when he was telling his whole clan that he hated her. Idk why, it just seems to me like he was lying

Nightpool
Nightpool
February 24, 2021 9:08 pm

I agree! Out of all of the warrior cats, Mapleshade is the I pity the most. She lost everything she loved in her life in one day. Whenever you feel sorry for any other cats, think of Mapleshade. Also, I never thought Mapleshade thought of Crookedstar as her son, but I like the idea. Great article!

Whitedapple
Whitedapple
February 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Mapleshade was evil. The reason she was banished was not just because she had a half clan relationship. She also lied to everyone about who the kits’ father was by saying they were Birchface’s kits. She especially lied to Oakstar and Frecklewish, who were related to Birchface. Mapleshade then tried to hurt Crookedstar by trying to make him distance himself from everyone he loved. Her motive was to destroy Crookedstar, it’s mentioned in the Crookedstar’s Promise manga. She also dislikes Starclan, and thinks they’re weak. Mapleshade’s character was well written, but she was by no means a good cat.

• Starkit