Brillig shares a theory on why ThunderClan didn’t realize the truth about the Three, or why they might have but didn’t say anything.
This theory will be suggesting several reasons why ThunderClan might not have noticed the obvious i.e. that Leafpool and Crowfeather were in fact Lionblaze, Jayfeather, and Hollyleaf’s parents.
1. There is some family resemblance. Leafpool and Squirrelflight are sisters, after all. Lionblaze and Brambleclaw both have amber eyes. Hollyleaf and Squirrelflight both have green eyes. Lionblaze apparently looks like Sandstorm, and he and Jayfeather are both tabbies like Brambleclaw.
2. A medicine cat having kits goes so against the Clans’ way of thinking that they would subconsciously try to convince themselves that they are Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw’s kits, instead of realizing the obvious.
3. Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw loved and treated the kits like their own. For all intents and purposes, they were. No one thought that Brambleclaw didn’t know the truth.
That’s about all I’ve got. But now I come to part two of my theory…the part were I suggest that some cats of ThunderClan might actually have figured out the truth, but didn’t say anything.
Because seriously, ThunderClan isn’t that dumb. Am I expected to believe that, say, Ferncloud, mother of seven children, couldn’t figure out that Leafpool was expecting kits? Or Sorreltail, Leafpool’s close friend, who incidentally gave birth only a few moons before Leafpool? Or Sandstorm, Leafpool and Squirrelflight’s own mother?
So perhaps some cats figured it out. But why didn’t they say so?
1. A sense of gratitude and loyalty.
a. Squirrelflight, Brambleclaw, and Crowfeather were three of the cats who went on the journey to the sun-drown-place, thus saving the Clans. Without them, the Clans would either be dead or scattered.
b. Leafpool found the Moonpool, and with it the Clans’ connection to StarClan.
c. WindClan recently came to ThunderClan’s rescue in the badger attack. Needless to say, this revelation would impact them as well….
2. Leafpool is the ThunderClan’s only medicine cat. Suppose some cat voices his or her suspicions. Then what? Is Leafpool supposed to step down from her position of medicine cat? Is she supposed to be exiled? But she’s ThunderClan’s only medicine cat? Outing her wouldn’t help anyone.
3. If any cat does speak up, he or she will then be starting up with the medicine cat, the deputy, the deputy’s mate who also happens to be the medicine cat’s sister-and never mind who she’s related to, the fact that she’s Squirrelflight should be deterrent enough-and by extension, the Clan leader and his mate. And that’s all before the WindClan side of the family involved. Crowfeather alone is as bad as Squirrelflight; his new mate, Nightcloud, is no softy either; and his mother, Ashfoot, is WindClan’s deputy.
So maybe that’s why no one said anything.