Mistystream takes a look at the problems with Warriors’ society.
This will be long, so buckle up
The warrior code:
1. Defend your Clan, even with your life. You may have friendships with cats from the other Clans, but your loyalty must remain to your Clan, as one day you may meet them in battle.(I will get to this one later in the article don’t worry!)
2. Do not hunt or trespass on another Clan’s territory.
This one is bad. A weak, starving clan may not be able to find food in their own territories. They should be able to hunt food on different territory in dire situations. You might ask what would stop them from hunting on each other’s land? Again, that will be brought up later.
3. Elders and kits must be fed before apprentices and warriors. Unless they have permission, apprentices may not eat until they have hunted to feed the elders.
Morally, this is a good rule. But logically it should be warriors and kits fed first. If a clan is starving it does not make sense to feed someone who cannot hunt, and those who can do not have enough food to give them sufficient energy. So this one flawed in a sense of survival, but morally it is a great rule.
4. Prey is killed only to be eaten. Give thanks to StarClan for its life.
This one isn’t terrible. Just useless. A dead piece of prey usually won’t be left to rot. It will be eaten by scavengers, worms, etc.
5. A kit must be at least six moons old to become an apprentice.
Yes! Any younger would be bad. You can’t send children into battle. They aren’t fully developed, and this will be a huge disadvantage against, stronger, faster, more agile fully trained adults.
6. Newly appointed warriors will keep a silent vigil for one night after receiving their
Nothing wrong with this. This is more of a tradition I feel like now.
7. A cat cannot be made deputy without having mentored at least one apprentice.
I get this one, but it’s not completely useful.
8. The deputy will become Clan leader when the leader dies or retires.
Okay this is complicated. In a sense it’s good. No one will fight over who gets power when a leader dies. But this also motivation for a deputy to murder their clan leader. As soon as you become deputy, and have a chance to taker out your leader, you are the next ruler. So I’m not sure on this one.
9. After the death or retirement of the deputy, the new deputy must be chosen
This one isn’t good. What if a leader doesn’t know who would be the best fit? They shouldn’t be pressured into that decision on, because it’s extremely important to have a good cat that will become leader.
10. A gathering of all four Clans is held at the full moon during a truce that lasts for the night. There shall be no fighting among Clans at this time.
Yeah, I mean this one good.
11. Boundaries must be checked and marked daily. Challenge all trespassing cats.
Back to starvation, this is encouraging strong clans to bully weak vulnerable cats.
12. No warrior may neglect a kit in pain or in danger, even if that kit is from a different Clan.
Yes, but it should be all kits, not just clan kits.
13. The word of the Clan leader is the warrior code.
NO. Horrible idea. This means that if a leader decides that don’t like something about the warrior code, they can contradict it. What they say is now the code, and has just as much claim as the original code. Also, perfect way to encourage cats to abuse their power.
14. An honorable warrior does not need to kill other cats to win his battles, unless they are outside the warrior code or it is necessary for self-defense.
Yeah this one is good
15. A warrior rejects the soft life of a kittypet.
This depends. Yeah it wouldn’t be a good idea to be going back and forth, but they should still respect the kittypets, something they do not do.
How the clans should be:
1. The clans should not be separated the way they are. They function best working together, which is proved many times. Also it causes unnecessary death. They shouldn’t live in one camp, but should be allowed to have mates, kits, friends, in other clans. They should be able to go to each clan to see which life style fits them best. If there is a very fast Thunderclan cat, maybe they want become a Windclan cat. Or there can be cats that can’t decide which clan they like best, and travel around clans throughout their life, helping a clan that needs it at the moment. There should be a mediator in every clan. These should be adult cats, who already proved to be reasonable and levelheaded, not apprentices that are trained for it. There should also be messengers, maybe two or three per clan, to bring messages. They should be very fast or have good stamina. Also back to the relationship, there could be mates who are together, but in separate clans. They should be able to stop by the clans and spend time with each other. This would discount some aspects of the warrior code, including challenging cats that cross boundaries, no hunting on another clan’s territory, etc.
2. Culture: The clans all seem the same. Why are they so separate? I don’t know. I think that each clan should have a particular culture. Maybe Riverclan has an annual swimming race, and festivals where the do different water activities. Something that explains why they are Riverclan, despite eating fish. Maybe an intuition where you have to swim a certain length, and training for water rescues. I think this would be a fun new way to create drama between apprentices, and even warriors. They could always be in the shadow of a perfect apprentice, but they beat them in a race at a Riverclan festival, proving they are just as good. How I would add culture into clan life: I would have each clan hold a festival, selective to their clan, that maybe someone considering joining their clan could join in on. Each festival would fit each Clans life style. Also it would be fun to have all clan cats, and even non clan cats considering joining the clans compete in. just a nice way to see friends. Maybe a Shadowclan cat wants to learn how to swim, but wants to stay in Shadowclan, so a Riverclan cat teaches them how. Also I would have a storyteller for each clan. They would tell the stories of the clans history, and all of the starclan cats would not fade as fast, as well as being fun to listen to. Also I would add a spirit that each clan would follow. The Riverclan cats would follow a Rain and Water spirit, or a fish Spirit, and Thunderclan would follow the Thunder spirit, and Shadowclan a spirit of Silence and Stalking, Windclan, the spirit of Wind and Swiftness, Skyclan the spirit of Strength and Grace. These are just examples of what I might add. Also I would add burial rituals. Maybe all of the clans have a burial ground, and once a year all go to it and honor the dead by telling their stories. Their culture could be very interesting, and really define each clan. Also I would add a position for maybe a priestess or priest. Instead of medicine cats, they would receive prophecies from the spirits. Yes I would ditch Starclan, there would still be a place like Starclan, but the ancestors would not have any power. Each clan would have a shrine, where they could talk to their ancestors, that is if their priestess or priest allows the shrine to open. This I think would be a cool way for the Dark Forest invasion. Whenever a priestess opens the shrine, she is convinced by the DF to let them out. She then lets some cats out, and they trick the warriors into joining them. The priestess then creates an underground community with the warriors and DF cats. She could convince another priest to join. Or they could even build a hidden shrine where only the DF cats would be released. So many ideas that couldn’t be in a kid’s book are coming to my head. The possibilities are endless y’all.
3. Now for the question of leaders, I feel like the system they have should not be used. I feel like each cat should be able to have a say in who becomes their next leader, and that leader should be able to lose their position if they becoming power hungry. The clan should be able to take away that position and give it to another cat. Or forget leaders and become more democratic. Every cat in the clan decides what happens to their own clan. Yes there would be cats with more power, but no cat would have the absolute power of a ‘star’. So yeah kitty cat democracy.
Also absolute side note: I think we should have a series about a rogue who wants to help the clans, but has to face their prejudice. Not another Firestar, but someone who doesn’t want to join the clans, but knows how to help in some crisis or something.
Their views on outsiders: Any cat that is not a clan cat is viewed as lesser, as scum. Kittypers and rogues especially are discriminated against, even after Firestar. They are seen as weak and lazy, stupid, and cowardly. Why? Ok yeah there was Pinestar, but the kittypets have proved themselves to be just as good as clan cats. Rogues are looked on as savages, as brutal killers. Not every rogue is like this. Violetshine and Needletail were both rogues. But they are not viewed lesser because they have clan births. So rogues aren’t all savages. Loners are another group of cats. They are often described as selfish, foxhearted cowards. And also why do all clan cats assume loners are lonely? Cats are solitary animals. But yeah not all loners are bad, including Purdy. They all grew to love him, but still hold disdain for loners. It doesn’t make sense. So yeah clan cats have a lot of prejudice and wrong views on all other cat groups, including the tribe. The clans are stronger than the tribe cats, which in a way doesn’t make sense, because the tribe has survived for a lot longer than the clans. Yet all clan cats are stubborn, stupid, and weak. It doesn’t make sense. But the tribe cats do have a better leadership system than the clans.
The clan cats are convinced that their way of living is perfect, despite the pointless starvation, violence, and other completely avoidable problems, because of their borders and separation. And stupid, evil leaders that you could be exiled or killed for disobeying.
Also you might have noticed that I use Riverclan for all of my examples, and that’s because we haven’t really had a good view of it. So there are just many possibilities
That about wraps it up. Also these are just my opinions, so plz respect them, bc I respect yours.